Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aerial Timelapse Issues
1168 11 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flightgeist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
United States

Hey everyone.  Been encountering issues trying to film timelapse videos with my Inspire2 & X5S camera.  Even on a windless day, full GPS signal, fresh IMU and compass calibration, the craft seems to make adjustments on its own while in the air every 30 seconds or so.  I have tried this process in many environments and the results are always the same, regardless of having camera in free or follow mode and even when setting the controller down on the ground so as to ensure nothing is getting touched.
Stabilization software does not fix these problem because the image perspective actually changes.  Please see the following video test and let me know if there are any tips, tricks, or suggestions for filming aerial timelapse.  Thanks!

2017-5-21
Use props
skypal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

I would use one of the stabilizer plugins such as you'll find in premiere
2017-5-21
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.3
United States

skypal Posted at 2017-5-21 09:21
I would use one of the stabilizer plugins such as you'll find in premiere

The clip you can watch here is using the stabilizer plugin.  the movement is too severe for the plugin to fix
2017-5-21
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

Which plugin are you using....warp stabilizer that comes with premiere...or mocha?  
2017-5-22
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.3
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-5-22 10:56
Which plugin are you using....warp stabilizer that comes with premiere...or mocha?

Warp stabilizer. Do you think Mocha would fix this issue?  It looks to me like something more than simply camera wobble.  It looks like the camera is like moving and warping and distorting every 30-60 seconds.
2017-5-22
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

It's not reasonable to expect that the UAV will remain perfectly still and stable over that long a time frame - they are good, but not millimeter perfect.
What I have seen people do is capture the timelapse from a moving perspective which seems to work better, but of course is a very different shot.
2017-5-22
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

Flightgeist Posted at 2017-5-22 15:02
Warp stabilizer. Do you think Mocha would fix this issue?  It looks to me like something more than simply camera wobble.  It looks like the camera is like moving and warping and distorting every 30-60 seconds.

it is tough to say without seeing the original clip.  I would try atti mode...and manually correct.  Shoot wider than you need for your frame to account for the scaling that will happen in post. I would shoot cdng as h265 can jello on its own due to the compression.  And yes, if warp stabilizer doesn't work well I would try mocha.
2017-5-23
Use props
Mims
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1686991 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you taking a series of photos and combining them or did you take a long video and compress it in the timeline?
2017-5-23
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.3
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-5-22 18:29
It's not reasonable to expect that the UAV will remain perfectly still and stable over that long a time frame - they are good, but not millimeter perfect.
What I have seen people do is capture the timelapse from a moving perspective which seems to work better, but of course is a very different shot.

I agree, but I don't think that is the problem here.  It appears that the camera is nearly rock solid for 20-30 seconds at a time, then suddenly warps and jerks, then the process repeats.  I have a lot of experience stabilizing handheld shots where the is constant movement and they are generally more stable than this.

It almost looks like the whole image warps in an out, like there is some kind of image decode (lens correction?) happening inside the camera as it is recording.  Perhaps there is a setting that turns on and off a lens distortion correction inside the camera?
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It was asked before, but could you confirm whether this is a time lapse made out of a series of stills or from increased video speed? What were your camera settings for this particular video?
2017-5-23
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-23 12:36
It was asked before, but could you confirm whether this is a time lapse made out of a series of stills or from increased video speed? What were your camera settings for this particular video?

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier.  This is a 4 minute video clip shot h264 d-cinelike 23.976 fps with the X5S camera on an I2 in tripod mode.  For this particular clip I used warp stabilizer in Premiere Pro on the entire clip, then exported and sped up that exported file to create the timelapse.

I have tried filming this in sport mode, free and follow modes with camera, manual and auto focus, the DJI stock lens as well as Olympus 25mm, with and without balancing rings, with and without ND filters, etc.
The results are basically the same every time.

I have also tried almost every type of stabiliztion - before and after speeding up the clip, set to still/no motion as well as "smooth motion", etc.  I have experience stabilizing handheld camera clips with the same software and had excellent results.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for your attention to this matter and your advice.
2017-5-24
Use props
sspro
lvl.1
United States

Flightgeist Posted at 2017-5-24 16:21
Sorry I didn't answer this earlier.  This is a 4 minute video clip shot h264 d-cinelike 23.976 fps with the X5S camera on an I2 in tripod mode.  For this particular clip I used warp stabilizer in Premiere Pro on the entire clip, then exported and sped up that exported file to create the timelapse.

I have tried filming this in sport mode, free and follow modes with camera, manual and auto focus, the DJI stock lens as well as Olympus 25mm, with and without balancing rings, with and without ND filters, etc.

Can you post the original clip, without any stabilization in post?
2017-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules