Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS sketchy at best.
1215 12 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rickphelps
Flight distance : 8622 ft
United States

Is there some unforeseen reason I cannot get any GPS Sats. after calibration? I have done the spin around, twice, and I get the blinking yellow lights. But I do not get any sats. on my iphone. Earlier today I did get 6 sat. but since then I can't get one. And I am not flying my Phantom Vision Plus without the minumum of sats.

I can just see me waving good-bye to my bird, and I havne't ahd the chance to even fly it yet. I did lift of the ground about ten feet, and it would not hover because I didnt have any GPS to hold it in place.

Any suggestions. I can't be the only one not getting sats....I think I have this black cloud following me. Still hoping for lift off but need to get this sat. issue resloved before I will fly it...
2015-3-9
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Calibrating the compass has no effect on acquiring GPS sats.  What Phantom do you have?
2015-3-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

Are you outside with clear view to the sky  and horizon?  (just want to be sure)
2015-3-9
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.3

United States

RE: GPS sketchy at best.

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-10 00:58
Calibrating the compass has no effect on acquiring GPS sats.

Very true.

However,  I also noted the OP said he sees "the blinking yellow lights'. Hopefully, these turn green after the compass cal is done? As you say, nothing to do with the GPS signal, just wanted to note another, completely seperate, potential issue!

Cheers,
Ian
2015-3-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-3-10 01:31
Very true.

However,  I also noted the OP said he sees "the blinking yellow lights'. Hopefully, the ...

slow blinking yellow rear LEDs are just an indication that there are <6 satellites in Phantom mode which would confirm the lack of Satellites the OP mentioned.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

Atmospheric conditions may be in play. On some days it takes a long time for me to pick up > 6 sats and on others it is not and this is from taking off from the same exact location. Make sure you are out in the open away from tall trees, buildings etc. as that might help. I also notice the higher I get the more sats I acquire and usually end up with 11-12 sats when high up in the air. Have you tried different locations? Maybe you are in a GPS dead spot.
2015-3-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

OP stated that he doesn't even get one Sat and that would be odd if it is outside with unobstructed view to the sky and the horizon ( unobstructed from the Phantom point of view that is )
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

He did state he got 6 sats earlier but if he is not getting any sats and has tried different locations then yes he has a problem and possible defective gps module.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

Have you modified your phantom? Do you have anything covering the top?
2015-3-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-10 01:48
Atmospheric conditions may be in play. On some days it takes a long time for me to pick up > 6 sats  ...

Atmospheric conditions only have a small impact on the signal strength of GPS satellite. What has an impact is the qty. of Sats that are in view at a given location and time as this constantly varies.  Sat Predictor  can give you an idea on how many you can at maximum expect at a location at specific times.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-10 02:05
Atmospheric conditions only have a small impact on the signal strength of GPS satellite. What has  ...

Yeah  I agree  but just speaking from my experience. When I crashed my Phantom 1 FC40 I thought I had also damaged the GPS module. I placed the damaged phantom in my back yard and it would not lock on to > 6 sats and if it did would quickly lose it and start flashing red green red.  I tried it numerous times in the same location in my back yard and continued to have the same problem. Finally someone on the phantom pilots forum told me if you are getting some sats and then losing them then in all likelihood your GPS modules is not broken and to make sure nothing was obstructing the top of the phantom and to try acquiring sats in a different location out in the open. Took his advice and Bingo the phantom picked up 6 sats... saved me from ordering a new GPS module.  
2015-3-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-10 02:17
Yeah  I agree  but just speaking from my experience. When I crashed my Phantom 1 FC40 I thought I  ...

Less than 6 ok, but the OP makes it sound like as if he can't even get one Sat locked onto in which case he either has to be indoors far away from any possible Sat signal or some other cause.
We'll have to wait for better clarification by the OP.
2015-3-10
Use props
rdc44444
Second Officer

United States

I guess his problem is solved. Most have had something covering the top or figured it out somehow...
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules