Poll - Who is planning to update to upcoming FW/Go App 4 release?
123Next >
10570 108 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Given that if you apparently don't update either software/hardware, you can keep flying "as is", who is planning to update their Mavic moving forward with upcoming FW and Go App?

Single SelectVote, Total 452 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-5-22
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Mine will sit collecting dust until I understand the update.
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I've personally voted  "I will not update", until DJI release more information about the upcoming changes.
While they mentioned that "nothing" will change regarding current flight performance if you update, my principal worry is the perceived non-ability to fly (or requiring you to re-connect) outside of your own country.

Given that I take my Mavic with me whenever I travel, being limited/restricted to fly because I can't connect for any reason seems completely unfair.
2017-5-22
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Depends if they make some FW that is perceived as stable and offers improved functionality then why not.
I gather the goggles wont work on .400 so many will need to update sooner or later.
2017-5-22
Use props
elementofgid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11050 ft
United States

I already updated by the time I heard the news, so it's too late for me. Guess I'll be one of the ones to find out what happens.
2017-5-22
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

elementofgid Posted at 2017-5-22 07:07
I already updated by the time I heard the news, so it's too late for me. Guess I'll be one of the ones to find out what happens.

The update to DJI Go 4 hasn't even been released yet.
2017-5-22
Use props
elementofgid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11050 ft
United States

Yraegel Posted at 2017-5-22 07:53
The update to DJI Go 4 hasn't even been released yet.

Yes, but people are saying that it will update automatically unless you're on .400 or below and I'm on .700 (I think that's the latest)
2017-5-22
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

All I can say is that the first time my Mavic, P4 or P4P won't fly where my Typhoon will, I'll have all three DJI products on eBay.   The 'must have internet connection thing' is just plain BS.  I might be camping for a week out of cell range, past the 72 hours and I can't use the Mavic?  Kind of defeats the purpose don't ya think?  This won't end well for DJI.  
2017-5-22
Use props
Azaad
lvl.1
Netherlands

If DJI wants me / forces me to update for limitations, they should give me back my money!
2017-5-22
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

If the force me to update i am gonna sell my Mavic and shop around.
2017-5-22
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Netherlands

I will not update either. Maybe we should look into VPN. This one works with your phone. https://www.getcloak.com/
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-5-22 09:00
I will not update either. Maybe we should look into VPN. This one works with your phone. https://www.getcloak.com/

I have been saying, NetGuard is a local VPN that forces all your traffic to an on phone VPN.  You then get to choose what has access and what does not.

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... u.faircode.netguard

The free version only allows complete app blocking, but that is fine for what you want to use it for.
2017-5-22
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

I want to know what the real deal with this update is before accepting it. If as they say it's nothing other than complying with your Counties  regulations I am fine with that, but if it's to slowly police us more and more I'll be selling it before the mass exodus.

I am all for flying safely, but a supplier should not get involved in policing the use of the drone. I have flown 50 cc fixed wing for years ( weighing 16lb) now if that hit you , you're dead, and there was far less regulation than what's happening with drone flying.
2017-5-22
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-5-22 04:21
I've personally voted  "I will not update", until DJI release more information about the upcoming changes.
While they mentioned that "nothing" will change regarding current flight performance if you update, my principal worry is the perceived non-ability to fly (or requiring you to re-connect) outside of your own country.

I agree with chalde and Burmman:  I won't update until I see a full description of the changes.  Example:  If they lock in the 400 ft AGL max, I wouldn't be able to do work where the terrain slopes upward (and maintain 400 ft AGL) or fly 400 ft above a building or tower when within 400 horizontal feet of bldg/tower.

Maybe, for the US, there could be an option to "prove" (part of your DJI profile?) you have a Part 107 cert, allowing you, the Remote PIC, to be responsible for the sUAS flight (vs DJI babysitting you).
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:34
I have been saying, NetGuard is a local VPN that forces all your traffic to an on phone VPN.  You then get to choose what has access and what does not.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard

This seems to work pretty well.
We'll see what happens in 2 days.
2017-5-22
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

elementofgid Posted at 2017-5-22 08:05
Yes, but people are saying that it will update automatically unless you're on .400 or below and I'm on .700 (I think that's the latest)

It will update automatically only if you have this set in the settings of your tablet or smart phone
2017-5-22
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Taiwan

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 10:34

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard

Thx Xman1. I use IOS and that is why I mentioned the Cloak! We should use any mean available to deal with this non-sense. I just dumped $2,000.00 between the mavic and the goggle and I was thinking about buying P4P+ but now I don't know they are going to turn it in a $50.00 wannabe drone if you don't follow their rules. I mean come on we bought the thing. It is not a leased product so they can keep controlling it!
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Found this being pushed to the Dev platforms.  Seems they get more information:

If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

Not just flight restrictions, but also cam feeds.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-5-22 12:57
Thx Xman1. I use IOS and that is why I mentioned the Cloak! We should use any mean available to deal with this non-sense. I just dumped $2,000.00 between the mavic and the goggle and I was thinking about buying P4P+ but now I don't know they are going to turn it in a $50.00 wannabe drone if you don't follow their rules. I mean come on we bought the thing. It is not a leased product so they can keep controlling it!

I hear ya.  I am into it for $1600 with all my accessories.  

Looks like the competition is still a ways out though:  
2017-5-22
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 13:22
I hear ya.  I am into it for $1600 with all my accessories.  

Looks like the competition is still a ways out though:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=230&v=kETsPN92xwE

Take your pic.....

https://www.banggood.com/Walkera ... l?rmmds=newArrivals

https://www.banggood.com/VISUO-X ... l?rmmds=newArrivals

I Actually think we should contact an agent prepared to host a class action against DJI if they limit the functionality of this product after the sale.
The return of DJI items and refund would be the minimum outcome.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-22 17:09
Take your pic.....

https://www.banggood.com/Walkera-VITUS-Lite-5_8G-Wifi-FPV-With-3-Axis-4K-Camera-Gimbal-Obstacle-Avoidance-AR-Games-Drone-p-1153627.html?rmmds=newArrivals

I know it is a matter of time until a better product comes out.  This one is getting close, and the fact it has a Sony CCD makes it attractive.
2017-5-22
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

No update here until they confirm that it will NOT give them more future control over my drone.
2017-5-23
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

The Roach Posted at 2017-5-22 08:38
All I can say is that the first time my Mavic, P4 or P4P won't fly where my Typhoon will, I'll have all three DJI products on eBay.   The 'must have internet connection thing' is just plain BS.  I might be camping for a week out of cell range, past the 72 hours and I can't use the Mavic?  Kind of defeats the purpose don't ya think?  This won't end well for DJI.

You only need Internet connection to log back in and do the update. You don't need it to use the app and fly
2017-5-23
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Where does it say you need internet access to fly the drone?  That sounds like hysteria to me especially given the remoteness that a lot of these drones operate in.  I personally think the update just makes sure you're complying with your country's rules and regs which is why to need to re-activate.
2017-5-23
Use props
thebmallory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50466 ft
United States

Isn't this update about the fact that ISIS uses their products in Syria ? Don't like restrictions either and I have already disabled auto update of the app but I can't really blame DJI on that one
2017-5-23
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-22 08:57
If the force me to update i am gonna sell my Mavic and shop around.

I thought the same thing till I looked and there's nothing else that compares?
2017-5-24
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Mines already on Ebay, hopefully someone buys it before they hear about this.
2017-5-24
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-24 09:11
I thought the same thing till I looked and there's nothing else that compares?

Depends what you're looking for.
Personally considering thinking of building one myself.

2017-5-24
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Mcflying Posted at 2017-5-24 09:48
Depends what you're looking for.
Personally considering thinking of building one myself.

Looks like the way to go now, Ill be taking the money from my Mavic and investing in bulding my own, I already have a few 220mms so it shouldnt be hard to build something a bit bigger with a nicer camera and gps/barometer
2017-5-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-24 09:51
Looks like the way to go now, Ill be taking the money from my Mavic and investing in bulding my own, I already have a few 220mms so it shouldnt be hard to build something a bit bigger with a nicer camera and gps/barometer

Be nice to see. I haven't built from scratch, just modded a syma to go almost a mile.
2017-5-24
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2180843 ft
United States

I will stay at .400 until I see, understand, and trust what the future releases are all about before I elect to update anything. I have flown 132 flights with 20 hours total flight time and so far have only had issues with firmwares .500 (No Signal glitch) and .600 (NFZ) and didn't feel 100% comfortable with staying with .700 with all of the NFZ discussions, so that is why I'm back on .400 since it is rock solid with no bugs.
2017-5-24
Use props
Kronos69
lvl.2
Italy

RAMJET-1 Posted at 2017-5-24 10:59
I will stay at .400 until I see, understand, and trust what the future releases are all about before I elect to update anything. I have flown 132 flights with 20 hours total flight time and so far have only had issues with firmwares .500 (No Signal glitch) and .600 (NFZ) and didn't feel 100% comfortable with staying with .700 with all of the NFZ discussions, so that is why I'm back on .400 since it is rock solid with no bugs.

Wise choice
I'm also back to .400 on my second Mavic, did that right before they pulled it from the assistant

I've also disabled the auto update on the phone I'm using to fly the Mavic.

IF and when DJI will force me to update, forcing me to adhere to whatever limitations they decide to introduce (or if they will make the unit send infos kilometers away about its exact position to the police or everyone else listening, I'll sell the unit and never buy DJI again.

I don't want to get fined because using cheap sector antennas placed tens of kilometers away the police can kno log that I went 1 meter in the wrong direction or 1 meter higher than permitted. That's ridiculous, cars are infinitely more dangerous and (fortunately) they aren't policed like this, they aren't 24/7 monitorable. Welcome to 1984, we should have expected this since DJI is based in China, where the big brother watches everything.
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Kronos69 Posted at 2017-5-24 14:28
Wise choice
I'm also back to .400 on my second Mavic, did that right before they pulled it from the assistant

I'm glad to see the poll shows that most will update. There are so many daft rumours and innuendos going around here, I'm starting to wonder why so many even have drones.

“You can’t save others from themselves because those who make a perpetual muddle of their lives don’t appreciate your interfering with the drama they’ve created. They want your poor-sweet-baby sympathy, but they don’t want to change.”
2017-5-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

It might look like mavic, but look at the range. Says about 1.5km. Think the main thing is mavic is the best out right now. Probably be for quite awhile with occusync and all the modes supported in different software.
2017-5-24
Use props
fansca9e8017
lvl.1
Flight distance : 903907 ft
United States

I update every time and never had a problem.  Will do the same with this update.
2017-5-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 15:14
I'm glad to see the poll shows that most will update. There are so many daft rumours and innuendos going around here, I'm starting to wonder why so many even have drones.

“You can’t save others from themselves because those who make a perpetual muddle of their lives don’t appreciate your interfering with the drama they’ve created. They want your poor-sweet-baby sympathy, but they don’t want to change.”

It's about getting rid of the epstein islands, so they don't become the norm. It seems they don't track according to Dji Joe at least but that wasn't confirmed til yesterday. Maybe they were planning on doing it!
2017-5-24
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-24 16:04
It might look like mavic, but look at the range. Says about 1.5km. Think the main thing is mavic is the best out right now. Probably be for quite awhile with occusync and all the modes supported in different software.

The two i posted are not supposed to be Mavic replacements.
They are to show there are many drones to pick from that are not made by DJI.
Whatever your needs are in droning, you buy to accommodate whether its going fast or good 4K footage.
I do not believe the Mavic is the best out there, it is proving to be the biggest POS ive ever owned considering these forced updates to make the thing un-flyable.  
I am lining up a sale of my Mavic as we speak.
Sick of being a football for DJI.
2017-5-24
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

when is this update coming anyway?
2017-5-24
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

mine has no problem from the begining, i have`ti from january, i use the Mavic with tthe Galaxy S5 and i had 0 errors...i saw a lot of ppl with problems here but i dont know what to say
2017-5-24
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

I will not update until I determined what this update is for.  I may just assemble  and build my own remote aircraft with camera , hence, never having to worry about his ever again
2017-5-24
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules