iPhone 7+ GPS issue
1533 13 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mejia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36198 ft
United States

Hey everyone, I've been reading up on forums about the gps issue on the iPhone 7+. Has anyone figured out a fix for this? My iPhone was working flawlessly with the app and then I travelled out of state, started the drone, tried to set the home location and it said that the gps signal is too weak. I'm back home now and it still says gps signal is too weak. I have everything up to date.
Does anyone know of an update or a way to fix this?
2017-5-22
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

When you travelled, was it far enough that a compass calibration may have been required and if so, did you do one?
2017-5-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There is purportedly an issue with certain iPhones on the AT&T network when it comes to the Follow Me feature, but setting the home location should be done using the Mavic's GPS, not the phone's. Are you covering the rear fuselage with anything that could be blocking the GPS receiver?
2017-5-23
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-22 21:59
When you travelled, was it far enough that a compass calibration may have been required and if so, did you do one?

I did not. I will go ahead and redo the calibration even though it never asked for it. But I still didn't think this would cause an issue with acquiring gps signal on my phone..
2017-5-23
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-23 06:06
There is purportedly an issue with certain iPhones on the AT&T network when it comes to the Follow Me feature, but setting the home location should be done using the Mavic's GPS, not the phone's. Are you covering the rear fuselage with anything that could be blocking the GPS receiver?

Yeah that's what I read, its mainly with ATT. I haven't tried to see if the follow me feature works for me, but the home doesn't. I am not covering anything on the mavics rear fuselage, unless those extended legs all of a sudden cause an issue.. because they had never been the issue in the first place.
The home point is being set from the mavic, but if I wanted the homepoint to be set from the remote, that's when I get the issue. I have tried using my GPS on my phone and everything is very accurate, even in doors, so I don't understand how that is possible.

I have already unistalled the app and re installed, still nothing. My next move is to try and do a compass calibration and then the follow me mode (hope it actually works).
IHope it gets fixed, this is about the only issue I have had aside from the gimbal spazzing out once in a blue moon.

Let me know if you have other suggestions I should try.  
2017-5-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

mejia Posted at 2017-5-23 11:17
Yeah that's what I read, its mainly with ATT. I haven't tried to see if the follow me feature works for me, but the home doesn't. I am not covering anything on the mavics rear fuselage, unless those extended legs all of a sudden cause an issue.. because they had never been the issue in the first place.
The home point is being set from the mavic, but if I wanted the homepoint to be set from the remote, that's when I get the issue. I have tried using my GPS on my phone and everything is very accurate, even in doors, so I don't understand how that is possible.

Gotcha, you want to be able to reset the home point on the move.

Are you sure that you were able to perform on-the-go Home Point resetting before your trip?

Fwiw I've had mixed results with Follow Me while using my AT&T iPhone 7, it seems to want more good sat connections in order to work than the aircraft itself needs to fly; suspect it wants more accurate on-the-ground GPS than you need for, say, driving directions. Suspect you'll see the same thing for on-the-move Home Point setting.

Someday I'm going to try Follow Me with my son's iPhone 6S on T-Mobile to see if it really makes a difference.

2017-5-23
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-23 11:26
Gotcha, you want to be able to reset the home point on the move.

Are you sure that you were able to perform on-the-go Home Point resetting before your trip?

So I tried to calibrate the compass and even tried the follow me mode. Neither of them  worked.

What do you mean by home point reset? I always make sure to set my home point depending on my activity. I do it before even initiating the motors.
And yeah before this trip, I was able to use follow me mode and set my home point to my position. I figured that my gps was perfectly fine since gps was performing normally. I wonder what made this happen. Do you think that maybe downgrading the app would fix this? Never had an issue before hand
2017-5-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

mejia Posted at 2017-5-23 13:24
So I tried to calibrate the compass and even tried the follow me mode. Neither of them  worked.

What do you mean by home point reset? I always make sure to set my home point depending on my activity. I do it before even initiating the motors.

There are two moments at which a home point may be set: at launch and after launch.

At launch, the Mavic will automatically set the home point itself using it's internal GPS. You don't have to manually do this.

While flying, if you walk away from the launch location and wish to reset the home point to your current location, then you do that through the app, which uses your connected smart device's GPS to determine the new home point.
2017-5-23
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

mejia Posted at 2017-5-23 13:24

Which firmware are you on? I have noticed that on the latest 0.0700 firmware, it seems to take longer to get a good GPS lock. Just wondering if you are flying away from the home point before the actual home point is actually set. Setting it in the app before the Mavic has a good GPS lock is not going to help you.
2017-5-23
Use props
Dima_Y
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425154 ft
United States

I have had this problem with my Mavic Pro on all firmwares .2 .4 .6 with my Verizon iPhone 7+ (on Tmobile network). Same mavic with android phones works no problem resetting the home point.
Plenty more people on the mavic pilot forums have the same issue. Its clearly NOT a hardware (the GPS on the iphone works amazingly well if you use the GPS test app) issue since it works no problem on Android with the same AC.
2017-5-23
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-23 14:01
There are two moments at which a home point may be set: at launch and after launch.

At launch, the Mavic will automatically set the home point itself using it's internal GPS. You don't have to manually do this.

Yes the drone does set its homepoint from the drone location. I have actually tried setting the homepoint both from my phone before the drone started, and after it had been up. Both says GPS is too weak basically.
2017-5-25
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-23 20:35
Which firmware are you on? I have noticed that on the latest 0.0700 firmware, it seems to take longer to get a good GPS lock. Just wondering if you are flying away from the home point before the actual home point is actually set. Setting it in the app before the Mavic has a good GPS lock is not going to help you.

I never take off without a homepoint being set. The drone itself sets its home point. I am speaking in regards to setting the homepoint from my phone. Ive tried it before and after take off, both don't work. I am on the latest firmware too. I have tried writing for my phone to acquire a better signal too, and it still doesn't work, no matter how long I wait.
What has me considering that its the app is the fact that before the update, I never had this issue, it would set without any problems.
2017-5-25
Use props
mejia
lvl.2
United States

Dima_Y Posted at 2017-5-23 21:13
I have had this problem with my Mavic Pro on all firmwares .2 .4 .6 with my Verizon iPhone 7+ (on Tmobile network). Same mavic with android phones works no problem resetting the home point.
Plenty more people on the mavic pilot forums have the same issue. Its clearly NOT a hardware (the GPS on the iphone works amazingly well if you use the GPS test app) issue since it works no problem on Android with the same AC.

So you're saying its not the iPhone hardware issue? Because I ran a GPS test as well and it was running great like you said. If its not the iPhone, what do you think it may be?
2017-5-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

mejia Posted at 2017-5-25 05:35
I never take off without a homepoint being set. The drone itself sets its home point. I am speaking in regards to setting the homepoint from my phone. Ive tried it before and after take off, both don't work. I am on the latest firmware too. I have tried writing for my phone to acquire a better signal too, and it still doesn't work, no matter how long I wait.
What has me considering that its the app is the fact that before the update, I never had this issue, it would set without any problems.

Is there any chance that some of the permissions that the DJI GO 4 app requires have been turned off. I am not familiar with your phone so can't advise how to check the permissions but maybe some have changed.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules