Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
maps not loading on ground station (to set waypoints)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

I cannot even get it to load just the standard one . . . and definitely not the hybrid or satellite.

It was not loading on my iphone 5, but I just got my iphone 6, and everything else works fine, but the map will still not load so I can set waypoints accurately.

I think I mustve missed a command somewhere that downloads the map itself?

J

2015-3-9
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Anybody?? Am I just missing an obvious direction somewhere?
J
2015-3-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-3-11 11:24
Anybody?? Am I just missing an obvious direction somewhere?
J

Go to google maps, select the area you want and save it to your phone as satellite map.
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Ya, I've been seeing that on other threads, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to save a map (iphone). Nor can I seem to discover how to get the vision app to access it.

I'm usually pretty tech savvy, but I feel like a real moron here since this sounds like basic stuff from what I can see . .  .
2015-3-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-3-11 11:38
Ya, I've been seeing that on other threads, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to save a m ...

can you access the internet with your phone?
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Yes, it's wifi. I used to get the maps no problem. Not sure what happened?
2015-3-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-3-11 12:00
Yes, it's wifi. I used to get the maps no problem. Not sure what happened?

Something might have been reset on your phone,  That I can't help you with.   I don't use a phone, I have a 10 inch tablet.
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

k--Thanks tho!  I'll do more surfing.

I did, btw, manage to get the basic map (the left-most of the 3 options) to show some streets once I zoomed in close enough, but no land populated on hybrid or satellite. . . at least its progress!

J
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

ok. I went through every setting in my phone, and tried every order of connecting to web via phantom, my own wifi, etc. . .

On Apple Iphone 6, I went into Settings, Location Services (on), and made sure Maps and Google Maps were set to be accessible 'While App in use' (this was only option other than 'Never') . . . AND I set the Vision App to the same -- by default NOTHING was selected. . . I think this had something to do with it.

Then, as per some other posts, I connected to my own wifi, then opened both Google Maps and Maps and waited for my current location to show up in Hybrid mode.  Then switched to Phantom wifi connection, opened Vision App, and THEN . . .

THE MAPS SHOWED UP!!!!!!!! Shouldn't this be MUCH much easier though? Not sure how DJI could make the phantom connection automatically import local maps without opening other maps apps, but might be useful for them to have a "map" database built in somehow?

Now when y'all say to Cache or Save the maps that I want to use in the future . . . how do I do this? I'm not sure if it's as simple as doing a screen shot, or if there is a setting somewhere that makes this happen automatically?

J
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Found it (going thru all these threads takes a lot of time!!). Here is how to save the google maps for offline use: http://www.cnet.com/videos/access-google-maps-offline/
2015-3-10
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-3-11 13:08
Found it (going thru all these threads takes a lot of time!!). Here is how to save the google maps f ...

I haven't tried it with my Phantom P2V+ since I always fly it using my iPhone which connects to maps via cellular. However, when flying my Inspire with my WiFi-only iPad, all I have to do to to cache a map is open the DJI app (while connected to WiFi), go into the map view in the app, and zoom and scroll around the area I plan to fly. The map area is automatically cached. I don't need to take any special steps to save the map.
2015-3-10
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-11 13:23
I haven't tried it with my Phantom P2V+ since I always fly it using my iPhone which connects to ma ...

AH! Thank you!! I will try that later.  I am on an iphone6 tho that connects via cellular and wifi . . . but I bet that if it is connected to anything wifi, maps etc will default to that if its there  . .   even if it is not actually connected to internet

J
2015-3-11
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-3-12 00:26
AH! Thank you!! I will try that later.  I am on an iphone6 tho that connects via cellular and wifi  ...

Presumably (I've not tried it yet), if you go into settings on the app and select "Upgrade Range Extender", you should be able to connect via WiFi to your Phantom, and *also* get live map data from the internet via your cellular connection.
2015-3-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had good results with the "upgrade range extender" thingy when my maps were not (at first) displaying. Caching the maps used to be easier - they changed the way it's done in IOS and I had to fiddle for a while before I made it happen.
2015-3-11
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

Thanks everybody! The upgrade range extender worked like a champ! I have a 4G LTE Hotspot for mobile internet that I'll try later. . . it's 4G, but sends a wifi signal. Hoping it works . . . if not, knowing how to save Google Maps for offline use was very helpful.

Crazy learning curve, but the upshot is really knowing your product because we have to surf around reading all sorts of threads, documents, etc.

J
2015-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules