Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Calibration
1215 11 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

Hi to all!

I've read where it's not good to do a compass calibration unless it's absolutely necessary and I completely understand the reasoning. One bad calibration can surely cause a lot of grief!

This weekend we will be taking a trip into the Great Smokey Mountains. The location is about 220 miles from our home.

What is the recommendation from you folks:   Calibrate   OR   Don't calibrate

Thanks!  
2017-5-24
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Don't calibrate
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If it asks you to perform a compas calibration, then you should. Should you notice, though any toilet bowl effect after take off, then you would want to redo the compass calibration at that point as well.
2017-5-24
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-24 12:22
If it asks you to perform a compas calibration, then you should. Should you notice, though any toilet bowl effect after take off, then you would want to redo the compass calibration at that point as well.

Thanks DJI-Jamie!

So, from your response, I'm assuming the P4 does some kind of compass diagnostic check each time it is powered up. Therefore, the P4 is "smart" enough to know when its compass is in need of re-calibration and will then display the appropriate message. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!
2017-5-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tvl Posted at 2017-5-24 13:46
Thanks DJI-Jamie!

So, from your response, I'm assuming the P4 does some kind of compass diagnostic check each time it is powered up. Therefore, the P4 is "smart" enough to know when its compass is in need of re-calibration and will then display the appropriate message. Is this a correct assumption?

You can check for compass interference reading in DJI Go ('Main Controller Settings'/'Advanced Settings'/'Sensors'/'Compass Tab'.
2017-5-24
Use props
ibuyufo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

Yeah don't calibrate!
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-5-24 13:46
Thanks DJI-Jamie!

For the most part, yes, your assumption is correct. It also needs to work in tandem with the Go app to read the data and notify accordingly whether the compass information is within tolerance. Sometimes the data could be boderline whether or not it will display an error, so that's why you want to check for any TBE motion going on.
2017-5-24
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

If you feel you must calibrate the compass after you arrive in the mountains make sure you do it in an area free of any metal type interference. This includes iron ore in the ground.

When I fly in a new area I run a compass app first to make sure there is no underground iron ore interference. I make sure the compass displays the correct direction of North and that the uT (micro Teslas) are ~ 50uT.

If the GO app tells you to re-cal it's actually saying Do Not Fly Here. Find another location. If you re-cal to the interference once the AC is in the air away from the interference the compass will give the Flight Controller inside the AC bad data and cause the AC to move with no stick input.

I've had 2 bad experiences with compass errors and don't want to find out 3's a charm because it won't be.
2017-5-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-24 12:22

"Toilet bowl effect"? Haha. Hey Jamie, accurate and funny description of the symptom. Of course, in Australia the drone would spin the other way... :-)

But for the op, as already advised, the app will say if it needs calibration. It'll also advise if there's strong interference (got that once in the middle of a railway yard, no doubt to the metal junk everywhere).
2017-5-24
Use props
I am the E
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I  always check all status before flying and one of them is to check on the IMU and compass reading. If the number is way higher than 50 then I would do a calibration. As mentioned above keep all metal, phone, car, etc... at least at a 10' radius. Take off up to 5',  let it hover for a minute or so then turn it around in different directions. It it is solid, then up you go!.
Good luck with the trip!
2017-5-25
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

The only time I have ever seen the app say to calibrate the compass, what I really needed to do was move the drone to another area with less interference.  I would not calibrate.
2017-5-25
Use props
Danielfonseca64
Flight distance : 18114 ft
United States

I would say don't calibrate unless it forces you too before flight!
2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules