Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
127392 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

X5 - how to get the most out of it.  My thoughts here:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-40106-1-1.html

*** CHECK OUT MY LATEST VIDEO, CALIFORNIA***
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 31692&fromuid=21263

And here is my video of San Francisco -
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 29355&fromuid=21263

Okay everyone, new tutorial!

This one shows you through my editing process.  This is more about selecting, ordering, color correcting and placing clips than a software tutorial so if you are interested in editing this is for you.   If you are interested in how to use a specific software package there is very little of it here.  

It's massive, 45 minutes long, and takes you through an entire edit from importing the Inspire/Phantom clips all the way through to final master with music, ready to upload.

Here is the Editing Tutorial:

(And Here is the Final Clip Created from it)

Below are my original Tutorials and Videos in case you missed any:

+++++++++++++++++

TUTORIAL 1 Basics
http://youtu.be/S7PxuY9cqZE

TUTORIAL 2 LUTS, Sharpness and Proper Exposure

post http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 235&page=1#pid75878

-

TUTORIAL 3 Troubled Footage
http://youtu.be/G5a06_BpMAs
    post http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 434&page=1#pid77262

-

NEW TUTORIAL 4 - CONTROLLING LUTs in DaVinci
http://youtu.be/8AGYI3U5fLA

here are my recent videos:
http://youtu.be/a_dJbaDl7F4
http://youtu.be/QEDfLrLrJlI
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 1137&extra=page%3D1

NEW VIDEO - CLIFFS OF BONDI
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en

2015-3-9
Use props
Arrow1969
First Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video Jim
2015-3-10
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

nice work Jim!
2015-3-10
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.4

United States

Excellent Jim, nice work.  Thanks!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Thanks guys, any clarification on stuff I didn't explain well?
2015-3-10
Use props
tmenzies86
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks Jim. Awesome work!
2015-3-10
Use props
pops52
lvl.3

United States

Thanks so much Jim. Until seeing your video, I thought it was just magic.
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

pops52 Posted at 2015-3-10 19:10
Thanks so much Jim. Until seeing your video, I thought it was just magic.

As far as I'm concerned, these awesome tools at our fingertips ARE magic!

Can't even have dreamt of this stuff ten years ago, both shooting with the Inspire and the editing/grading tools.  Great time to be alive!
2015-3-10
Use props
Arsenico
lvl.3
Flight distance : 392920 ft
Spain

Thanks jim
2015-3-10
Use props
Michael Starley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Recently bitten by the editing bug I find this info invaluable.Thank you for the time and your knowledge.A friend of mine in multimedia has found my phantom a useful tool.Spending time with him, I have realized just how hobby class that it is.Still love my bird but at the same time I feel the need to learn more and progress.Having said that,thanks to all of the info that is posted here.This collective experience pool is much appreciated and absorbed like a dry sponge.Keep it coming.
2015-3-10
Use props
rfrye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Jim Hare! EXCELLENT! That tutorial is just great!
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this.

I will be using this a lot and have saved it to my favorites bar. It will be getting A LOT of views as I progress with this learning curve.

Thanks again, Jim Hare!

2015-3-10
Use props
tc_chay
lvl.3
Brunei

Great tutorial Jim! Tats wat I needed.
2015-3-10
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.4

United States

Thank you so much for posting this. You have no idea how much this has helped me.
2015-3-10
Use props
Dude
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A great effect that i use in Premiere is to place a second copy on top of your footage and set the transfer mode to screen or overlay. Adjust the opacity to taste. It gives you a very saturated and deep blacks look.  
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
Second Officer

Canada

They should make these tutorials STICKY! We need a tutorial Stickt thread. Get on it moderator!
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
Second Officer

Canada

We should review the tutorial and if they are concise and worthy they should be posted on the TOOT STICKY PAGE
2015-3-10
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

Thanks Jim, Very helpful...Im more of a tech. How to make my film more professional is very helpful.
2015-3-10
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Jim. I was going crazy yesterday evening as I was adjusting my camera settings at dusk and every time I closed the manual control window the image would revert to that crappy auto look. I didn't know you could just swipe the window over to get it off the screen... can't wait to try it again this evening!
2015-3-10
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.3

Canada

Thanks Jim.

Quick question. Are you using a camera operator or is this workflow all on your own?

Robert
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

budnikasr Posted at 2015-3-11 01:44
Thanks Jim.

Quick question. Are you using a camera operator or is this workflow all on your own?

Hi Robert.  Everything I've shot so far has been on my own as they are basically just tests to see what he bird can do.   kind of frustrating as I basically watch the bird live (not the screen) and have to imagine what it's shooting and whether I'm getting the shot or not.  Then play it back and adjust my trajectories accordingly when I reshoot.   Could do it much faster with two people but I enjoy the personal challenge as well.   ;-)
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-3-10 20:12
Recently bitten by the editing bug I find this info invaluable.Thank you for the time and your knowl ...

I agree!  I've been watching the RC filming space for years waiting for just the right time to jump in.  When I saw the Inspire 1 then I knew they had done it right and got my order in.
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 20:25
Jim Hare! EXCELLENT! That tutorial is just great!
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this ...

Thanks for requesting it!  Always happy to share what I've learned as others have been very generous with me.  I'll do companion tutorial soon to fill in some gaps and clarify a few things I left out.  It was basically improvised and there are a few more things to say.
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Dude Posted at 2015-3-10 22:24
A great effect that i use in Premiere is to place a second copy on top of your footage and set the t ...

Cool!  I'm going to try that!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

eaglecook Posted at 2015-3-11 01:14
Thanks Jim. I was going crazy yesterday evening as I was adjusting my camera settings at dusk and ev ...

I know right?  I do stuff like that as well.   You'll be going nuts over something then see thr smallest thing  in a video and the light bulb goes on.   Love that!
2015-3-10
Use props
r-preusser
lvl.2

Germany

Very nice and helpful tutorial Jim Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately it shows me how small my knowledge is about having the right settings and doing the effective things in post. I'd really love to see more of this

And another point. I've just tried Davinci Resolve 11 on my iMac with 32GB RAM and GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB RAM. I wasn't able to do real time editing or color adjustments like you did. Could you give us a overview of the hardware you use?

Thanks again for this extremely helpful information!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

r-preusser Posted at 2015-3-11 07:12
Very nice and helpful tutorial Jim Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately it shows me how small my knowledge i ...

It's not unusual to not be able to play in real time, especially the highly compressed MP4 files the Inspire creates.

The good thing about DaVinci is you don't really need realtime feedback.   You can just leave your clip paused and make your adjustments, almost as if you were in Photoshop.  Then just dot around the clip looking at how the corrections affect different moments.     

Sometimes you will need a vastly different correction for different parts of the clip, like if you started in sunshine and flew into the shade.   In these cases you can use the editing tab to cut the clip up and do different corrections as needed.

2015-3-10
Use props
UM305
lvl.4

United States

A+ Very nice, great contribution !
2015-3-10
Use props
bvinisky
lvl.4

United States

Wow, this is very cool! Massive thanks for taking the time to put this together.
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Thanks all!  Much appreciated.
2015-3-10
Use props
davidbsamuels
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim, Thanks SO much.  I'm absorbing and trying all your tips, Thank You!  I ran out and shot this late afternoon and tired some of your tricks.  Thanks for letting us know about the swipe move, I had missed that and had know idea where to start with the settings.  Now to play with edits in FCPX in my case.  Thanks again, great info and video.
2015-3-10
Use props
augusthansen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89498 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-11 11:18
Thanks all!  Much appreciated.

Finally, someone put a solid video on proper camera settings!  I've been hoping for this so thank you ever much as it helped me isolate my issue to shutter speed/exposure.

I do want to ask... It seems to me like we are having to compromise the ideal shutter speed for the exposure, like we can never really getting the ideal shot every time.  Do you find rolling shutter to be an issue when adjusting for exposure?  I know you explained this in the video, I'm just curious of the extent the effect really has on your shots.  

I typically follow the 180 rule shooting DSLR and have been trying to apply that to the Inspire and I think this is where I was getting stuck with super overexposed shots(with ND on).  Shooting at 24fps, I was trying to keep the shutter speed at 1/50.  I guess maybe for now we are stuck with compromise as the solution until we get more powerful ND filters?

Thanks again for posting the video and in advance of answering my question.  Cheers!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

augusthansen@gm Posted at 2015-3-11 13:16
Finally, someone put a solid video on proper camera settings!  I've been hoping for this so thank  ...

Good point!   For those who don't know, this refers to a 180 degree shutter which translates to double your frame rate.  This is what film cameras typically shot and gives what is known as the "cinematic look."   So in a perfect world we would balance everything out so we could always shoot using a 180 degree shutter, but the ND on the inspire isn't strong enough so even with it on, and with the ISO at its lowest setting of 100, we still have to raise the shutter speed on sunny days.  

As you say, that's just reality for the moment. There have been a lot of people asking for stronger NDs and I wouldn't be surprised to see some third party screw on NDs to replace the supplied one.  

As for me personally I haven't had any trouble at all with rolling shutter, even on sunny days, but I think it's because of the subject matter and speed of the camera etc.   Be interesting to see where it goes!
2015-3-10
Use props
gdc2510
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343583 ft
Australia

Great tutorial Jim - thanks a lot!! One question - In manual mode on the camera is it possible to change exposure using the thumb wheel to vary EV while manually keeping ISO and shutter speed constant? I haven't been able to work it out!
2015-3-10
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,

Love the tutorial.  Very much appreciate your time and effort to do this.

Cheers
2015-3-11
Use props
rfrye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Jim,

I should only speak for myself in this statement because I'm not sure how to completely explain it clearly.
Please bare with me on this.

But, one must know what "good" looks like before trying to achieve and work towards "good". The Pros like yourself know exactly what "good" looks like because of years in the discipline. Perhaps, many of us novice to videography struggle with what "good" looks like. I know that's my case. Maybe this is why cinematography is called "ART"...huh? Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?
2015-3-11
Use props
4Blades
lvl.2

Dominican Republic

Thanks Jim! Super helpful video! Thank you for taking the time to make it
2015-3-11
Use props
augusthansen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89498 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-11 14:04
Good point!   For those who don't know, this refers to a 180 degree shutter which translates to do ...

Great response.  I finally have a bit of closure on the subject lol.  I'm going to just let the shutter speed be what it be for now and just have fun shooting.  Thanks again!  Cheers!
2015-3-11
Use props
jhogge
lvl.3

United States

Very useful, thanks for your time and effort.
2015-3-11
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

gdc2510 Posted at 2015-3-11 15:24
Great tutorial Jim - thanks a lot!! One question - In manual mode on the camera is it possible to ch ...

Yeah, I noticed that too!  From memory, in AUTO mode the dial appears to adjust a simple EV exposure setting but in manual mode it controls shutter speed.

My guess is  it's actually doing the same thing in AUTO but they don't put it in those terms because they'd rather have you think of it as "a little bit darker or brighter."

The reason I think this is because are no sensitivity settings on CMOS sensors like there were on old CCDs so really all you have are ISO and shutter speed to control the light so in either case it would be a combination of those two, making EV a made up term which refers to the Inspire making further adjustments to ISO/shutter.

Just my opinion and happy to be overruled by other thoughts.
2015-3-11
Use props
patou72
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 18:13
Thanks guys, any clarification on stuff I didn't explain well?

Really great Jim, thanks a lot.

Just how to use the white balance would be interesting for me. Do you have some hints?

2015-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules