129342 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

matt.massick.id Posted at 2015-7-20 03:04
I have a brief question...  When I take a video with my inspire 1...  I come back and access the vid ...

Hey Matt.  It automatically opens to full res.  If you hit Command-3 on Mac or CONTROL-3 on Windows it should resize to your screen.

If that doesn't work on Windows try COMMAND - Zero, but that only halves the size, which may or may not be enough to get it down to size.
2015-7-19
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-20 09:00
Hey Matt.  It automatically opens to full res.  If you hit Command-3 on Mac or CONTROL-3 on Window ...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!  YOU NAILED IT!!  THANK YOU!!!!  Now that I have you - what should my video defaults be for simply flying around a lake  or flying over a corn field viewing deer...  I am notlooking for anything production quality - just good resolution to show my friends and family. Thank you!
2015-7-19
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

matt.massick.id Posted at 2015-7-20 11:28
AWESOME!!!!!!!!  YOU NAILED IT!!  THANK YOU!!!!  Now that I have you - what should my video defaul ...

No problem Matt.   

As for settings, if you want to just play the files directly, without editing, color correcting and adding music etc, then 1080P at 30FPS is a good choice.   

If you want smoother motion and don't mind it looking more "TV" than "FEATURE FILM" then try 720P at 60FPS.

These files should play pretty on most computers.

Use the VIVID color setting and be sure to use AUTO rather than MANUAL settings.   

Jim
2015-7-19
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-20 11:35
No problem Matt.   

As for settings, if you want to just play the files directly, without editin ...

Jim - Thank you again!!!  You are really helpful...  SO my last question since you seem to have all the answers...

I had a fly away on my inspire three months ago...  Had it in GPS mode and it just did a few a few circles -- lost and then gained altitude and flew into a tree...   Was about 400 yards from me - wide open area with no magnetic fields...  Battery had plenty of charge and GPS signal was there...  Thankfully I found it and got it fixed...

That said, I have now bought a small gps device which resides on it... Questions - if it does this again - ie - starts acting crazy...  Any hints on what to do?  Change to Atti mode immediately??  Any help would be appreciated...  I flew it a bunch today but am still a little gun shy...
2015-7-19
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

matt.massick.id Posted at 2015-7-20 11:51
Jim - Thank you again!!!  You are really helpful...  SO my last question since you seem to have al ...

I've been one of the lucky ones and never had a loss of control.   The best advice I've heard is to immediately switch to ATTI (make sure you select MultiFlight Mode in the App before you take off or you can't switch!) and push RTH (Return To Home.)

Then don't give up, some people fight with it for several minutes then regain control.

Hopefully you won't have another flyaway, but if you do just keep your wits!   ;-)
2015-7-19
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-20 14:12
I've been one of the lucky ones and never had a loss of control.   The best advice I've heard is t ...

Thanks Jim!!!!!!  I will be back when I encounter more ?'s...  Thank you so much!
2015-7-20
Use props
scott
lvl.3

United States

patou72 Posted at 2015-3-12 05:50
Really great Jim, thanks a lot.

Just how to use the white balance would be interesting for me. Do ...

Hey Jim,

Great video showing workflow of your editing process.  I like part when you explained how you zoom in for your beginning shot.  I usually film and render in 4K because the image quality looks so much better in 4K (I'm used to it now) but for 1080p footage that trick works great.  

I also tried using the manual exposure settings when filming and I think that manual mode does give you more control to get better images.  However, if you're in a hurry to get as much quality footage of a certain location and you can won't be back to soon (or ever), I tend to prefer using the auto exposure settings because it's faster and it gives me more freedom to fly/film instead of trying to do so many things at once.  

Filming in Log mode is great though if using LUTS.  Where did you get the LUTS that you use?

Thanks again,
Scott

2015-7-20
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

scott@doctorren Posted at 2015-7-21 12:55
Hey Jim,

Great video showing workflow of your editing process.  I like part when you explained ho ...

Hey Scott.  

Thanks for your comments.

I use quite a few LUTS, but the set that works great with the Inspire are from Neumann films:

http://neumannfilms.net/?product=dji-inspire-1-luts
2015-7-21
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,  Is your tutorials available on YouTube so that I can bookmark them for reference.
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-21 20:43
Jim,  Is your tutorials available on YouTube so that I can bookmark them for reference.

Here ya go!

2015-7-21
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-22 04:52
Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BKV174C7JBE

Cheers for that Jim.

My sons just started an apprenticeship in media and IT editing film, so I have promised to show him your tutorial.  Although I think he may be using Sony Vegas where he is working.  Either way he will learn from it as well as me.  

Appreciated  .....
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-22 06:31
Cheers for that Jim.

My sons just started an apprenticeship in media and IT editing film, so I ha ...

Fantastic!   The concepts are universal so all good.  Different approach to corporate video, where you need to achieve specific objectives, but pace, attention span and energy are all served the same way.
2015-7-21
Use props
amatthews
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675364 ft
Germany

Thanks Jim for your great work :-)!
2015-7-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

amatthews@t-onl Posted at 2015-7-22 14:34
Thanks Jim for your great work :-)!

Thanks for mentioning it!   Nice to know people are finding it useful.
2015-7-21
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

Man did I learn a few things from that video. One of the technical things was the in and out for clip selection. I have always used the selection tool and very poorly I might add. And maybe I can return the favor. When you have made your selection you always drag it into the project via the mouse. If you just hit the "E" key it will drop into the project without the mouse move. But you probably already knew that.

I did not notice you use any sharpening. Is that common?

As I watched you pulling this together I was expecting a rather run of the mill video for the finale. The pacing, the music and the color fudging really brought this to life. What can be done by someone who knows what they are doing. Wow!!!

I will be watching this again.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
2015-7-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

remltr Posted at 2015-7-22 22:27
Man did I learn a few things from that video. One of the technical things was the in and out for cli ...

Thanks remitr!

Yeah, there are many approaches to editing.   Up until recently all the rage was 3-point editing, where your clips coexist with your edit and you make room for specific inserts.   Then there is the keyboard approach, using hot-keys as you mention.    I've always preferred the "hands on" approach as I often don't drop clips in order and want to put them anywhere.   This is where the magnetic timeline comes in handy.  

Regarding "bringing it to life,"  just follow the same approach and your edits will suddenly jump off the screen.  Much of what I did in that video follows an incredibly simple formula that works.   Feel free to use it!

Start in the shoot.   Look at your scene and pick out the most interesting visual objects.   Then explore them in interesting ways, always checking your exposure and framing for each shot.   

Then follow some of the techniques in the tutorial and post it!

Another thing is to not spend too long making an edit, you can end up losing all the spontaneity.  

I think I could have put  that cut together in about 25 minutes if I wasn't slowing down to explain it at the same time.
Thanks for watching!
2015-7-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Just a reminder, learning to edit and really looking at your clips makes you much better at shooting.    You will train your eye to find the beauty in every shot and you'll recognize it instantly in the field.

You'll also know whether you've got the shot or not as you'll see the bumps and lumps and can try the shot again rather than assume it's okay.

So think about shooting and editing as a partnership and, as always, be totally cut throat when it comes to choosing which clips make the cut!
2015-7-24
Use props
sthuemmel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1749321 ft
United States

Thank you Jim, you made it look sooo easy.  I will try and follow the process in Photoshop.  Great video, when it was all completed
2015-7-25
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

sthuemmel Posted at 2015-7-26 09:32
Thank you Jim, you made it look sooo easy.  I will try and follow the process in Photoshop.  Great v ...

Thanks sthuemmel, just follow the formula and your edits will look great!
2015-7-26
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Hi Jim,

Would you please take a look at this and give me a critique on the editing? I am trying to sharpen my editing skills. I tried to follow your recommendations.

I don't have the lut effects that you mentioned, so I used hard light at 75% and 1 on the sharpening.

Thanks,

Dave

2015-7-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

remltr Posted at 2015-7-27 02:41
Hi Jim,

Would you please take a look at this and give m ...

Hi Dave,

When you are out shooting start thinking about how you can get the most interesting shots.   This means trying different camera angles, looking for things in the environment to explore in detail, basically find the beauty in everything.

I think your biggest challenge in editing this piece was the lack of diverse footage.   It was all pretty much from the same camera angle and same vantage point, just flying in different directions.   Get closer to some objects, fly over an object to reveal another object.  

The edit you provided here was almost 100% establishing shots, which gave an overview of the surrounds.  They worked well, but there was no pay off.  In other words there was nothing to continue holding the viewer's attention after the first couple of shots.

To create an intriguing edit you should have at least 5-10 completely unique and striking shots and feature and frame them with wider establishing shots and so on.   

Don't worry too much about color correction and sharpening at the moment.  I would focus on story telling.   Once you can hold attention then it's worth improving the look of the footage.  
Jim
2015-7-26
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Jim,

Thanks for the honest feedback. No hurt feelings. I've been through photography courses that are absolutely brutal face to face while one tries to defend their image.

I realized when I posted this the content was lame. It was shot while conquering my fear of flying over water. There were not going to be any close in shots of interest.

It was a rainy day today so I had nothing else to do, so I thought I would try to work on the editing skills.

I will take your advice on shooting video images to heart and also work on those skills.

Thanks,

Dave
2015-7-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

remltr Posted at 2015-7-27 09:09
Jim,

Thanks for the honest feedback. No hurt feelings. I've been through photography courses that a ...

LOL, I know what you mean!  

I realized after I wrote that you probably weren't interested in editing advice and probably only wanted to talk about color correction.  

Jim
2015-7-27
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

Jim I just wanted to ask if you know if Corel Video studio ultimate X8 can use the DJI  luts or do you think I need to upgrade to a better video editing software, I am by far a pro at this still learning, I have used the corel software for a good while now, I know its not the best but if I could use the luts it would make it much better.
Thank you for your time
2015-7-27
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-7-28 01:08
Jim I just wanted to ask if you know if Corel Video studio ultimate X8 can use the DJI  luts or do y ...

Hi there.  I'm not familiar with the software so did a couple of Google searches.   I found someone asking if version 7 supported LUTs and the answer was no.   I looked at the improvements in version 8 and LUTs aren't mentioned so I'm guessing it does not support it.

They definitely work in the FREE version of DaVinci Resolve so if you were up for the learning curve it's well worth it.  Lots of online tutorials and so on to get you going.
2015-7-27
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366270 ft
United States

Hi Jim – really appreciate you putting this together. Scanned through the posts as well as your tutorial, and was wondering if you might be able to share some insight as to some compression settings you find to be optimal. My workflow is Premiere CC 2015 - > Adobe Media Encoder, but I imagine it's basically the same for H.264 whether you use Compressor or AME. I'm finding that everything looks excellent in Premiere, but even with high quality - Vimeo upload preset settings of 16-20Mbps that so much of the action in my footage is getting destroyed. But I'm looking at videos on the DJI site, even yours on your Vimeo and all that water movement, and some shots I've seen over trees, seem to hold up a lot better.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
2015-7-27
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

AtomicKid Posted at 2015-7-28 06:39
Hi Jim – really appreciate you putting this together. Scanned through the posts as well as your tu ...

Hey AtomicKid, yeah, compression is the bane of of all our lives!

I usually blast everything out at high rates, sometimes 50,000Mb/s and even sometimes upload full ProRes files.   Still, Vimeo eats it and what it spits back out might be great, might be horrible.   I find a lot of it is luck of the draw.   Sometimes I upload footage three or four times in different ways, sometimes to YouTube sometimes to Vimeo, to finally get a result I'm kind of happy with.

But yeah, seeing the difference between the edit suite and what you see on Vimeo makes you want to cry.
2015-7-27
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-28 06:28
Hi there.  I'm not familiar with the software so did a couple of Google searches.   I found someon ...

Jim
Thank you for your time I will try DaVinci Resolve, I have only seen the web site that you have to buy the DJI luts or is there any out there for free down load, and also can you tell me were I can down load the free DaVinci Resolve, I am running windows 7.
Again Thank you very much for your time
2015-7-28
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-7-28 21:46
Jim
Thank you for your time I will try DaVinci Resolve, I have only seen the web site that you hav ...

I downloaded the lite mac version via the itunes app store. Maybe there is a windows version in similar app.

I could never get it to open a .mov file though. It was always greyed out. I tried dragging, file/open etc.
2015-7-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-7-28 21:46
Jim
Thank you for your time I will try DaVinci Resolve, I have only seen the web site that you hav ...

My pleasure.  DaVinci Resolve is here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
2015-7-28
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-29 05:34
My pleasure.  DaVinci Resolve is here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Thank you so much
2015-7-29
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing!
2015-8-4
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

kgjamison Posted at 2015-8-5 01:03
Thank you for sharing!

My pleasure.  We're all learning together so good to share what you know.

I've learned so much about flying on this forum, great community!
2015-8-4
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United Kingdom

Jim thank you so much for taking the time out to make that video.  I watched it last week and man it's taught me more than any other video on youtube, I went out and bought a 27" imac retina, it's being delivered tomorrow.  Keep up the great work, you're teaching us lots.  Thank you
2015-8-12
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

pa.hug2012 Posted at 2015-8-13 03:00
Jim thank you so much for taking the time out to make that video.  I watched it last week and man it ...

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!   You are going to LOVE the Retina iMac!    I've been looking at the $10k Mac Pro Trash Can and decided to try the iMac instead.  It's beautiful and edits like a dream!   So worth the money!
2015-8-12
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United Kingdom

Brilliant Jim, I got the upgraded version 4.0Ghz but with only 8GB RAM.  I purchased 32GB RAM for a fraction of the price that Apple were asking, I saved a bunch of cash.  I'm heading around the west coast of Ireland for 5 days, I'm leaving this weekend and I'm going to get as much footage as possible.  I'll look forward to coming home to edit it all on the new mac.  I must watch your video again for a refresh.

Thank you
2015-8-13
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

pa.hug2012 Posted at 2015-8-13 18:13
Brilliant Jim, I got the upgraded version 4.0Ghz but with only 8GB RAM.  I purchased 32GB RAM for a  ...

Sounds great!   Be sure to post the footage after you edit!

Jim
2015-8-13
Use props
skydrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

Hello
ok now i dont get it
I have been on a film jobs and with my inspire i get some clips,but when i copy them from my sd card to my hard drive like  before,it does not work ,when i import them to fcpx it all when black??
this have never happened my before,but after the updrade it all went wrong??
is there some way to rescue this clip,the first 2 second is working great??
anyone
2015-8-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

skydrone Posted at 2015-8-15 00:50
Hello
ok now i dont get it
I have been on a film jobs and with my inspire i get some clips,but when ...

Hi Skydrone.   Well that's no good!   How does playback in the Inspire App look right after filming?

Have you tried playing them directly in QuickTime from the SD card?   

To understand what's happening you'll need to do a few tests:

1. On the Inspire, shoot some footage then push the PLAY icon in the app and play back the clip from the SD card via LightBridge.   This is different to the DIRECTOR function, which streams a records low res to the app, I mean playing back from the SD.

2. Put the SD card in the Mac and try opening the file in QuickTime.  

3. Copy the file from the SD card and try both QuickTime and FCP

4. If the problem remains then try a different SD card

If all the problems still remain after all these tests my guess is there's something wrong with your camera.
2015-8-14
Use props
Lawrence Casey
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-11 05:03
I agree!  I've been watching the RC filming space for years waiting for just the right time to jum ...

Oddly enough, that was exactly my thought process too.

Helicopters, RC planes, even early quadcopters; well, it all looked good but just wasn't quite enough to tempt  me to jump in. however, when I first saw the Inspire advertised, I didn't think twice - and I haven't regretted my decision to purchase it.
2015-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules