Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
129283 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

JIm, This thread is getting really long so pardon me if this has been asked before. But what do you use to sharpen the video with and at waht point in the workflow do you do this? I am used to working with photography and we always do sharpening last.

Many thanks,
Houston
2015-8-20
Use props
sidajili
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6033701 ft
  • >>>
Nigeria

Great video tutorial.
2015-8-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
United States

houston Posted at 2015-8-21 04:57
JIm, This thread is getting really long so pardon me if this has been asked before. But what do you  ...

Hey Houston,  like you I do sharpening last, though I almost never use it.   I use unsharp mask and try to use as little as possible as it does get very harsh very quickly.   

I think it's more important for stills as there should be no motion blur but vision tends to be more forgiving and filmic to be slightly soft.
2015-8-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for that!  
2015-8-22
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-23 14:20
Hey Houston,  like you I do sharpening last, though I almost never use it.   I use unsharp mask an ...

Thank you Jim. As a photographer, I of course find myself wanting to do all the things that I do in a still I also want to do in Video.

Is unsharp mask sometgin you use that is native to FCPX or is this a plugin?

Cheers
2015-8-23
Use props
druiser
New

United States

Hey Jim,

You are the man!

I saw your LUT tutorial using the Neumann Films presets for the Inspire 1 and decided to give it a try. I've noticed that the full intensity is too saturated for my liking so I usually turn the intensity down to 50%. When I go to export the video I select the Lumetri Look, but the exported video comes out as the LOG footage. It looks great in Premiere Pro but goes back to raw once it's exported. I've attached a screenshot of my issue. Am I missing something? I really can't figure this one out.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

-Drew
2015-8-25
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

druiser Posted at 2015-8-26 14:04
Hey Jim,

You are the man!

Hi Drew, some editors and grading systems have a setting that just exports the raw footage without effects and color.  Are you sure that didn't accidentally get enabled?   Otherwise might just be a glitch that goes away after restarting.

Another test you can do is put on a built-in effect and turn it up to full so the image looks ridiculous but easy to recognize.   Then export it and see if the same thing happens.

Should be easy to get to the bottom of.
2015-8-26
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-27 00:35
Hi Drew, some editors and grading systems have a setting that just exports the raw footage without ...

Jim--

The tutorial with the beach scene (45  min), you have a list of LUTS. Specifically, you chose a LUT not in the neumann films. Where did you purchase the LUT used for that specific clip?

Also, it looks like you chose an external file that contained those LUTS? I have the neumann LUT loader and the Inspire 1 LUTS. Can I use the neumann LUT loader to pull in the one you used? Or does that require a different process?

As always, thanks for your advice,

Will
2015-8-27
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2015-8-28 01:04
Jim--

The tutorial with the beach scene (45  min), you have a list of LUTS. Specifically, you cho ...

2015-8-27
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2015-8-27 10:04
Jim--

The tutorial with the beach scene (45  min), you have a list of LUTS. Specifically, you cho ...

Hi Will,

The LUT I used in the tutorial was from Neumann, it was CINEMATIC TONES.   I've collected many others over the years, some purchased and some free.   

Here's a popular free set:
http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/

Most LUTs can be accessed with the LUT LOADER so no problems there.

Jim
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

houston Posted at 2015-8-23 13:28
Thank you Jim. As a photographer, I of course find myself wanting to do all the things that I do in ...

Hey Houston,

Unsharp mask was originally in PhotoShop but has migrated to some video applications such as After Effects.   You won't find it in FCPx but here's a free plug in if you want it:

http://blog.alex4d.com/2012/02/12/blurs-7-free-fcpx-effects/

For those who haven't used it, unsharp mask applies degrees of sharpness based on parameters you set like threshold and so on.   This gives you much more control over which aspects get sharpened and which are left alone.
2015-8-28
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-28 11:02
Hi Will,

The LUT I used in the tutorial was from Neumann, it was CINEMATIC TONES.   I've collecte ...

Jim,

I do not show CINEMATIC TONES in the following neumann link:

http://neumannfilms.net/?product=dji-inspire-1-luts

All I see is the foreset, ocean, etc.

Is there another set you downloaded?
2015-8-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2015-8-28 09:35
Jim,

I do not show CINEMATIC TONES in the following neumann link:

That's strange, was definitely in my set.  Nothing special, purchased right off the website like you.  Maybe ask them if they removed it for some reason, I don't have an explanation as to why it isn't there.

Jim

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 5.08.28 am.png
2015-8-28
Use props
vincenzomiceli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1696781 ft
Ireland

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-29 03:11
That's strange, was definitely in my set.  Nothing special, purchased right off the website like y ...

Hello Jim,

quick question. Let's say I use a color-checker in a video captuerd in LOG and then run a macro to calibrate the video to the captured color patches. Is this just another way to apply just a particular LUT?

Thx!

Vincenzo
2015-9-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

vincenzomiceli Posted at 2015-9-5 21:50
Hello Jim,

quick question. Let's say I use a color-checker in a video captuerd in LOG and then ru ...

Hey Vincenzo,

Do you mean shooting a color swatch card in LOG and using it to apply luts to Inspire LOG footage?

Unfortunately there is nothing standard about shooting in LOG with the Inspire as it loosely borrows the term and just reduces contrast to ensure you don't clip highlights or crush blacks.  

LUTs with the Inspire just restore contrast and saturation and then apply a particular look.   It all needs to be done manually and adjusted.

So your best bet is to think of the end result you want for each clip then apply one based on it.   So SUNSET FIELDS will push the golden tones where FROZEN TREES will push the cooler blue tones, and CINEMATIC TONES makes everything punchy.   

Once you have applied one then look and decide what needs to be done.  For example I generally think they are too strong so back them off, sometimes down to 50%.   Then adjust saturation, contrast and play with the exposure until you're happy.

I might be misunderstanding your original question, it seems like you're asking about standardizing the process so you can automate certain tasks.   Let me know if not.
2015-9-6
Use props
vincenzomiceli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1696781 ft
Ireland

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-7 07:47
Hey Vincenzo,

Do you mean shooting a color swatch card in LOG and using it to apply luts to Inspi ...

Thanks Jim,

It is clear from your answer that LUT is working on contrast and saturation. I was wrongly assuming it was also applying some sort of color correction hence I was thinking on standardizing the process by including a x-rite color checker in some of the shots and automatically calibrate a sequence with it.

I think it is clear now.

Thanks again!

Vincenzo
2015-9-6
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job Jim as always.
How have you been? Long time no talk.
Rodger
Thanks for your time and effort.
2015-9-7
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

As always Jim, very informative and helpful!
2015-9-7
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

vincenzomiceli Posted at 2015-9-7 16:26
Thanks Jim,

It is clear from your answer that LUT is working on contrast and saturation. I was wr ...

Originally LUTs were used to compensate for different color spaces, like when going from video (YUV) to cinema (XYZ) or converting between video standards (RGB to YUV) and so on.

This was important so you could see exactly what would happen as you moved between formats.

So LUTs were used on monitors to emulate the final look.

More recently LUTs have started to be used as presets, kind of like what Magic Bullet did, which was to take ordinary footage and make it look filmic.

LOG is a great color space because it protects highlights and saturation by purposely lowering them.  A LUT is used to not only restore them, but often to add a color effect, such as golden tones for late afternoon or bluish cool tones for morning.  

The problem is with the Inspire, the LOG footage doesn't have a common starting point so you are flying blind.  In other words, in film production they would test and adjust the lighting to match certain standards, and sometimes shoot color charts to calibrate the image before post production begins.   When you do this you have a common starting point and can rely on a LUT to make the image perfect.

With the Inspire you have none of this, which is why after adding a LUT you need to fine tune the settings by eye to make them look right.
2015-9-7
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-9-8 01:28
Great job Jim as always.
How have you been? Long time no talk.
Rodger

Hey Rodger,

Great to hear from you, been a while!   Enjoying life to the fullest, how about you?

Jim
2015-9-7
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-7 19:15
Hey Rodger,

Great to hear from you, been a while!   Enjoying life to the fullest, how about you?

I have been busy. I am winding down now. Bought the new P 3 Pro, I have not flown it yet. still very hot and high humidity here in RI. The weather should start cooling down soon and I will start flying again soon. Your Tutorials are great as usual. Looking forward to seeing some in the future.
2015-9-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-9-8 23:16
I have been busy. I am winding down now. Bought the new P 3 Pro, I have not flown it yet. still ve ...

Good stuff.  I flew the P3 throughout California and was a great experience.   Lighter and easier to move around than the Inspire and also perfect in tight spaces.   You'll love it.

Start posting some footage when you're flying again!
2015-9-8
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 19:28
As far as I'm concerned, these awesome tools at our fingertips ARE magic!

Can't even have dreamt  ...

Jim is there a way i can get a hold of you? i am woring on a project and i want to make sure i do it right...

I hope i can talk to you soon.

thanks
2015-9-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

JKT Posted at 2015-9-9 10:09
Jim is there a way i can get a hold of you? i am woring on a project and i want to make sure i do  ...

JKT, if you go to my website  harebrained dot biz  you can contact me from there.  Happy to start a dialog.  

Jim
2015-9-8
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-8 05:48
Hi Elliot,

You'll find all the Inspire settings I use for DaVinci in my video tutorials at the st ...

Jim seems like you are the go to guy for filming so you think the new cam is worth the cost and would it be better to wait for the R version to come out ?
2015-9-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-8 19:49
Good stuff.  I flew the P3 throughout California and was a great experience.   Lighter and easier  ...

Great to hear that in that is encouraging. I intend to do the upgrades tomorrow and hopefully my first flight with it in the afternoon. Did you see the newInspire Cameras? Pricey!
2015-9-11
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-9-12 00:49
Jim seems like you are the go to guy for filming so you think the new cam is worth the cost and wo ...

Hey TK,  I think the X5R is going to be incredible and probably priced to match.   

The X5 will definitely create a more pleasing image than the X3 but I will wait to see how the compression is as this is the biggest issue for me.  

If the artifacts aren't improved with the X5 then my personal opinion is the X3 is fine because your ultimate use is more limited.

I truly believe the X5R will be a game changer in the pro arena.   Amazing stuff!

So I'm pretty much in the same "wait and see" boat as everyone else.   All I can say now is my prediction.
2015-9-11
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-9-12 05:02
Great to hear that in that is encouraging. I intend to do the upgrades tomorrow and hopefully my f ...

Pricey but worth it!   Remember, the cameras I'm used to buying start at $20k and go up from there!   This is a major step up and I'm very impressed!
2015-9-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-11 21:21
Pricey but worth it!   Remember, the cameras I'm used to buying start at $20k and go up from there ...

I have a few of those also. Semi retired now and the play money isn't there anymore.
2015-9-12
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-9-13 01:03
I have a few of those also. Semi retired now and the play money isn't there anymore.

Rodger knows what I'm talking about!   

I'm kind of stuck as well as I have no intention of getting a pilot's license, which is what I'd need to use the Inspire professionally in Australia.

So as a hobbyist only the X5R would cost too much for me.   As a pro it would be a no-brainer!
2015-9-13
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-13 08:47
Rodger knows what I'm talking about!   

I'm kind of stuck as well as I have no intention of g ...

True Jim, if it were my source of income and I had the business it would be justifiable.
Keep those Tutorials coming. I really enjoy them and you have been a great teacher for me Jim.
2015-9-14
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Hi! I appreciate all your posts. I have learned a lot from them. Thank you! I have two questions. What brand or kind of LUTs do you recommend(I see you have free and for purchase listed above)? I have a iMac 5 K and use Final Cut. Also, can LUTs be applied if you film in something other than LOG?
I appreciate any thoughts on that.
2015-9-20
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

kgjamison Posted at 2015-9-21 03:30
Hi! I appreciate all your posts. I have learned a lot from them. Thank you! I have two questions. Wh ...

Hi kgjamison,
--can LUTs be applied if you film in something other than LOG?

Yes!  You can apply LUTs to any clip, but since LUTs are expecting a clip to look a certain way, you would have to first put in a color correction on the original clip to make it look non-contrasty with low saturation.  Basically try to make it look like other LOG clips.   Then apply the LUT and adjust from there.

--What brand or kind of LUTs do you recommend

I really like the Neumann Films Inspire 1 LUTs and they are usually my starting point.  http://neumannfilms.net/?product=dji-inspire-1-luts

I have also purchased LUTs from LookLABS, but they are more for high end cameras and I wouldn't recommend them for the Inspire.
http://www.looklabs.net/

There is a standard set of film emulation LUTs floating around that you can download here, but again, I don't think they are useful on the Inspire, but still good to have.
http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download/
I recommend buying the Neumann Films Inspire LUTs for $60 and stopping there.   They have a great variety of looks that all work well with the Inspire/P3.

Jim
2015-9-20
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-20 18:32
Hi kgjamison,
--can LUTs be applied if you film in something other than LOG?

Thank you so much. I appreciate that you take the time to help others. It makes it a lot of fun too!
2015-9-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

kgjamison Posted at 2015-9-22 02:41
Thank you so much. I appreciate that you take the time to help others. It makes it a lot of fun to ...

My pleasure, there have been so many that helped me when I was learning, just passing it on!
2015-9-26
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are an asset to this community. Thanks for your input to the aspiring folk my friend.
Rodger
2015-10-3
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-28 09:02
Hi Will,

The LUT I used in the tutorial was from Neumann, it was CINEMATIC TONES.   I've collecte ...

It's your fault!
That I'm enjoying this post work so much. Thanks for the tutorials and the info on the LUTs! Having a blast!
Write a book, I'd buy it!
2015-10-6
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

kgjamison Posted at 2015-10-7 16:06
It's your fault!
That I'm enjoying this post work so much. Thanks for the tutorials and the info o ...

Ha ha!  Thanks for that, much appreciated!  
2015-10-6
Use props
raphael.dahan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

Jim, again you are e real artist,
Learn a lot from you, thank you so match,

Raf
2015-10-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

raphael.dahan@d Posted at 2015-10-14 21:40
Jim, again you are e real artist,
Learn a lot from you, thank you so match,

Merci beaucoup Raf.    My French is now all used up!  

Jim
2015-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules