129474 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim, always perfect! Thanks for your input, you are an asset to the community.
2015-10-21
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-10-22 12:27
Jim, always perfect! Thanks for your input, you are an asset to the community.

You're too kind Rodger.  Love this stuff and fun to talk about!  
2015-10-21
Use props
Eboli
lvl.2

Australia

Many thanks Jim, I am new to this forum and am still saving up for a potential Inspire.  Your tutorial contains lots of quality advice that can also be used for other aspects.  Cheers from Canberra!
2015-10-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-21 21:54
You're too kind Rodger.  Love this stuff and fun to talk about!

I am glad that you do. We all profit from your knowledge.
2015-10-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Eboli Posted at 2015-10-22 18:31
Many thanks Jim, I am new to this forum and am still saving up for a potential Inspire.  Your tutori ...

No problem, glad you find them useful.   

I was in your fine city a couple of weeks ago!   Wish I had brought my Inspire as there are plenty of interesting things between Canberra and Sydney!
2015-10-22
Use props
Eboli
lvl.2

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-23 10:51
No problem, glad you find them useful.   

I was in your fine city a couple of weeks ago!   Wish  ...

Canberra has a lot of interesting places for aerial filming which is why I am slowly saving up for a decent rig.

You probably saw the many wind turbines out on the eastern side of Lake George which would make for some very interesting filming.

Let me know next time you are in town!

Cheers!
Rob.
2015-10-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Eboli Posted at 2015-10-23 15:48
Canberra has a lot of interesting places for aerial filming which is why I am slowly saving up for ...

Yes I did see them!   Will let you know next time I'm around.

Jim
2015-10-23
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-20 01:12
I've been one of the lucky ones and never had a loss of control.   The best advice I've heard is t ...

Jim Hare-Question for you...  I recently upgraded my firmware...  Used my drone(Inspire 1) today and it would not let me go above 400 feet...  I did not have the altitude limited...  I was in the middle of no-where with 8-12 satellites connected...
2015-10-25
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

matt.massick.id Posted at 2015-10-25 18:34
Jim Hare-Question for you...  I recently upgraded my firmware...  Used my drone(Inspire 1) today a ...

Also

1)
2015-10-25
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

Was not in beginner mode
"Set Maximum Altitude" was set to zero
Maximum Distance - Off
2015-10-25
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

matt.massick.id Posted at 2015-10-26 10:34
Jim Hare-Question for you...  I recently upgraded my firmware...  Used my drone(Inspire 1) today a ...

Hey Matt,

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the new firmware but perhaps they have set a 400ft limit for all flights now.  

Just a guess but would make sense with all the bad press in the last year.
2015-10-26
Use props
polycord.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 215764 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Nice work. I always prefer to convert the original footage to prores instead of importing. I gives me a better workflow better grading possibilities and I am not working on the original footage which is kept on my Drobo for later use if needed.
2015-11-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

polycord.gmail Posted at 2015-11-4 08:36
Nice work. I always prefer to convert the original footage to prores instead of importing. I gives m ...

Yeah, I agree.  It's very liberating to work with footage that you know will always play smoothly.   With FCPx it's nice to be able to automatically make proxies for the edit then switch back to original footage for grading.   But I do still like my DaVinci grade/export first then edit later workflow.

Something for everyone!
2015-11-3
Use props
polycord.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
Portugal

jimhare Posted at 2015-11-4 05:49
Yeah, I agree.  It's very liberating to work with footage that you know will always play smoothly. ...

Can always do the Resolve grading after converting to Prores. Then just send it to FCPX and edit...
2015-11-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

polycord.gmail Posted at 2015-11-4 11:34
Can always do the Resolve grading after converting to Prores. Then just send it to FCPX and edit.. ...

Of course, but I like to grade original files whenever possible.  Converting to ProRes doesn't improve them, just makes them easier to edit.  Ultimately you are throwing further information away in the process, though it's minimal in this case.
2015-11-3
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Many thanks Jim, really excellent! Watched your videos, and read your helpful tips, thx for sharing. I've changed the settings slightly with the new upgrade -1 -2 -1 seems to work ok, will keep trying, using Premiere pro and I love those Nuemann LUTs, thanks again, Mark
2015-11-4
Use props
polycord.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
Portugal

jimhare Posted at 2015-11-4 09:01
Of course, but I like to grade original files whenever possible.  Converting to ProRes doesn't imp ...

I don´t think you throw anything away on the process. It is a much higher quality codec so conversion is lossless. Actually you might gain some information as color spaces are different...but I respect your workflow. after all is yours ;-)
2015-11-4
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

great great video! I just see all your playlist on vimeo:-)....i was wondering which kind of filter did you use at sunset and at noon...itry nd8 at sunset but my shot was underexposed! Maybe nd4 or no filter at all? Your shot of sunset in california video is beautiful
2015-11-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Superbaso Posted at 2015-11-6 07:28
great great video! I just see all your playlist on vimeo:-)....i was wondering which kind of filter  ...

Thanks for that!  Definitely no filter at sunset, you want to capture all the wonderful detail and the sun blaze.  
2015-11-6
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-11-6 04:44
Thanks for that!  Definitely no filter at sunset, you want to capture all the wonderful detail and ...

Jim, thanks very much for posting the tutorials and tips.  As I'm new to all this, they have been very helpful.  Shot my first video and stills this past weekend.
Looking forward to flying again this evening (without the filter this time....) and tomorrow morning at high tide over the coastal salt marshes and rivers.
Back to "Lynda" and learning Premiere Pro for the time being.
2015-11-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-11-11 01:29
Jim, thanks very much for posting the tutorials and tips.  As I'm new to all this, they have been  ...

Awesome!  Have fun with it.  I love shooting with the Inspire, never known such freedom!

Enjoy!
2015-11-10
Use props
markwiss.hotmai
lvl.2
United States

Jim, Great, Thanks!
2015-11-22
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 438107 ft
United States

Jim,  

Question 1:
Do you stick with only the Neumann LUTS or do you utilize any others?  I did a shoot this past weekend on a cloudy day, and despite my best attempts, none of the Neumann LUTS seemed to help me get a good starting point.   The combination of a cloudy day and the d-log milkiness just seemed to hide any good starting point for bringing out the realistic colors of the day.

Question 2:
Do you always shoot AWB, or do you set a fixed WB point and correct later?  I can't figure out if the AWB changes color references during shooting, or just alters ISO/shutter speeds.  

Your tutorials have been spot on perfect.  I hope you will consider posting others.  Your teaching skill is as good as your videography.

-Glenn
2015-11-23
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks Glenn!

I tend to use the Neumann LUTS but I have a wide variety of others so sometimes I stray or just grade from scratch without any LUTS at all.

I've never had an issue with WB so yeah, I just leave it on Auto and it's always done right by me.  It wouldn't be adjusting shutter/ISO as those only affect exposure/motion blur and not color temperature.
2015-11-23
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-11-23 20:16
Thanks Glenn!

I tend to use the Neumann LUTS but I have a wide variety of others so sometimes I s ...

Thanks.  That's good to know.   I realized that AWB doesn't affect shutter/ISO, but I wasn't sure if enabling the AWB allows for dynamic WB adjustment mid-video, like the Auto setting does to adjust the Shutter/ISO. I'll leave it AWB and play with it and see what happens.

I'm having a blast learning Resolve.  There's so much you can do beyond just the LUTS.  Before your video, my entire workflow stuck with FCPX and the color corrections you can do there.  You've opened a great new world.  I might post a video showing some of the combinations I've played with, and maybe that will inspire others who want a more artistic / non-traditional style look.

Cheers!
2015-11-23
Use props
RoryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9521385 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Although I've been flying fixed wing and multis for years I recently bought an Inspire 1, mainly for its ability to handle a bit of wind and the excellent camera control via the app. I also fly a Sky Hero 750 Y6 with a Hero4 black and a Vulcan Mantis 900 hex with a Sony RX100M2 (for stills). I love the I1 so far, but the camera has been giving me some issues with compression noise, especially flying over moorland and finely detailed ground. My initial results were quite disappointing, shooting in D-LOG 4K/25p manual (with ND filter), there was so much flicker it was almost unusable. I've started using the Digital Anarchy Flicker Free plugin which works a treat, even just using the default time lapse setting the results are far better than I thought possible!

My workflow is fairly standard, import from the card into FCPX optimising at the same time. I use a 2048 x 858 25p timeline for a widescreen effect and fill the original clips to the frame, transforming the position as required. I do all grading within FCPX, using the colour board and a basic log to 709 LUT (the Ground Control LUTs are great for grading GoPro and FC350 footage on the same timeline). With the edit complete I export to a 422 master which I either upload directly to Vimeo or run through Compressor for H.264 if I don't have enough upload allowance (5GB per week for Vimeo Plus).
Here's some I1 footage shot on Sunday, very low sun (I live at 60° North) and very detailed heather/grass moor. Shot in 1080/25 at ISO 100 @ 1/50, D-LOG, Cloudy WB, -1 sharpness, -3 contrast and saturation. Without the Flicker Free plugin it would be unwatchable as there was so much flicker from the ground. The footage is still way too sharp, I'll try -3 next time the weather allows any flying!

Cheers,

Rory

2015-11-24
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
United States

RoryG Posted at 2015-11-24 17:35
Although I've been flying fixed wing and multis for years I recently bought an Inspire 1, mainly for ...

Very nice.  Beautiful area you have there to capture.
2015-11-26
Use props
Wolf1
lvl.1

United States

What is the difference on the new cameras available on the Inspire 1?
2015-11-27
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Wolf1 Posted at 2015-11-28 17:20

The X3 is the original camera for the Inspire.  It's like a supercharged GoPro with a rectilinear lens that doesn't suffer from distortion like sports cameras do.

The new X5 has 4/3 sensor which is much larger than the sensor on the X3.  It also has the ability to use much higher quality, interchangeable lenses.  The combination of these two things means the X5 image is far superior to the X3.  Having said that, it uses the same compression as the X3 which limits its usefulness professionally a bit.

The upcoming X5R is the same camera but shoots to a RAW video format on an SSD which will blow the X5 and X3 away.  The results from this should be absolutely stunning and should be able to be used alongside professional movie cameras.  The cost for the X5R will be very high, but only compared to prosumer equipment.  In the professional world its cost will be a drop in the bucket.

The Inspire 1 with the original X3 was an amazing innovation and changed everything.  The Inspire with an X5R will be absolutely insane!   
2015-11-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Wolf1 Posted at 2015-11-28 17:20

The X3 is the original camera for the Inspire.  It's like a supercharged GoPro with a rectilinear lens that doesn't suffer from distortion like sports cameras do.

The new X5 has 4/3 sensor which is much larger than the sensor on the X3.  It also has the ability to use much higher quality, interchangeable lenses.  The combination of these two things means the X5 image is far superior to the X3.  Having said that, it uses the same compression as the X3 which limits its usefulness professionally a bit.

The upcoming X5R is the same camera but shoots to a RAW video format on an SSD which will blow the X5 and X3 away.  The results from this should be absolutely stunning and should be able to be used alongside professional movie cameras.  The cost for the X5R will be very high, but only compared to prosumer equipment.  In the professional world its cost will be a drop in the bucket.

The Inspire 1 with the original X3 was an amazing innovation and changed everything.  The Inspire with an X5R will be absolutely insane!   
2015-11-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim,

we were talkin in the battery thread and I picked up the P3P on black Friday for a back up to my Inspire 1.

Here is the questions in the thread:
As I'm fond of saying, "Right tool for the job", Rich.

There will be times that the P3P will be a better choice than the bigger bird, I'm sure.

The video is comparable, is it not?

Paul..
Yes, I agree with you and the P3P will be used only for certain things. The camera seems to be better the my GoPro 4 black but not by much. Keep in mind and to be fair, I nee more time and better weather to play with the settings.

My final question about the video was in relation to the Inspire's video.

The longhand would have been, "The video is comparable with that of the Inspire, is it not?"

I'm thinking in terms of being able to cut or splice between the two sources with little or nothing to tell between them - minimising the post-processing in editing or easing a transition in a live situation.

For people using the P3P along with their Inspire, this would be useful to know. Yes?

Paul..

Thanks for your input.  PS looks like the firmware 1.05.00.30 updates the X3 camera for the OSMO   

Rich
2015-12-9
Use props
gboivin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all your hard working and time Jim! Your tutorials are greatly appreciated.
2015-12-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-10 13:13
Jim,

we were talkin in the battery thread and I picked up the P3P on black Friday  for a back up  ...

Hey Rich,

Yeah, the footage is interchangeable.  In my CA video it's about 40% Inspire and 60% P3.  In one of the locations it was both and I don't even remember which shots were done on which camera.   

Really the only difference is how much control you have to make smooth moves, where the Inspire triumphs.  But pixel for pixel they are both pretty much identical as far as I'm concerned.  
2015-12-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

gboivin@msn.com Posted at 2015-12-11 01:18
Thanks for all your hard working and time Jim! Your tutorials are greatly appreciated.

Thanks gbovin, much appreciated!

JIm
2015-12-10
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-12-10 19:19
Hey Rich,

Yeah, the footage is interchangeable.  In my CA video it's about 40% Inspire and 60% P3 ...

Thanks for your comments and I will look forward to flying the P3P when the weather improves.

PS, I took some video shots with my OSMO today inside our factory, just now was looking over the footage. When I walk you can see the up and down movement ... not sure what I am doing wrong. I will see how to share this with you...

Rich
2015-12-11
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-12 14:21
Thanks for your comments and I will look forward to flying the P3P when the weather improves.

PS ...

Hey Rich,

Yeah, up and down from walking is definitely a "thing" with the Osmo.  You have to develop a super smooth floating walk and try to keep yourself as level as possible.  I was thinking of getting a "hoverboard" segway thingy and roll everywhere instead.  I've seen some footage where the operator wears roller wheelie shoes.

Have a play with your walking style and see if you can smooth it out.  I'm still probably a month away from getting mine.  Sigh...
2015-12-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-12-12 03:05
Hey Rich,

Yeah, up and down from walking is definitely a "thing" with the Osmo.  You have to deve ...

Hey Jim,

You need to see the hoover boards are busting into flames... battery failures. They are not allowed on airlines now because of all the attention. This could be the beginning of trouble traveling with our LiPo batteries....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/te ... k?ocid=ansmsnnews11

another comment on the walking issue. I was watching one of the OSMO videos and they said you can change the gimbal settings to improve the action or lag settings.

Rich

2015-12-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-12-13 07:20
Hey Jim,

You need to see the hoover boards are busting into flames... battery failures. They are  ...

Good stuff!  Yeah, hover boards look like bad news unfortunately.
2015-12-13
Use props
SkyHigh UAV
lvl.2

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-12-14 11:57
Good stuff!  Yeah, hover boards look like bad news unfortunately.

Nice thread Jim, just purchased the inspire pro x5. I strongly believe this drone will change how we operate.

Coming from the Skyjib X4, I find the inspire pro package hard to beat. The x5 camera is already impressing me. Your thread allows all of us to help push this camera and its boundaries.

Keep up the good work
2016-1-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

SkyHigh UAV Posted at 2016-1-25 06:11
Nice thread Jim, just purchased the inspire pro x5. I strongly believe this drone will change how  ...

Thanks SkyHigh.   Where are you in Australia?

Jim
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules