Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
127639 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

So Jim as the resident video guru.... What mode do you use most when shooting?  FPV or Follow?  And why?  Love your tutorials. I'm in PP in CA and do this for a living for 40 years and learned some things!  Well done
2015-3-24
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hey dbeck.  Depends on what I'm doing.   Free mode is by far my favorite.   I love flying in a different direction than I'm shooting and the gimbal does the most corrections and gives the smoothest results.

But sometimes I use FPV.   I like to use the Inspire itself to do the camera moves rather than panning the gimbal.    Let's say I wanted a cool shot around a tree.   I practice a move where the nose always faces the tree and I do a slight yaw and bend around it.  This allows me to be closer at some points and further at some points which makes for an intriguing shot.   It's smooth even without the gimbal because the Inspire is mostly using its own momentum without jerky corrections.

I haven't perfected it but I'm getting pretty good at it plus it's really challenging and fun to fly like that!

I haven't spent much time with comparing FPV to Follow so might find Follow does a better job.
2015-3-24
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

True. I will be experimenting.  Tell you one thing though, I learned my lesson with my PTv2, flying and shooting and almost took my head off doing a cool shot, and got to close going overhead and watching the monitor not the bird.  The reason they came up with a second controller no doubt!
2015-3-24
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-3-25 11:10
True. I will be experimenting.  Tell you one thing though, I learned my lesson with my PTv2, flying  ...

Yeah me too!   I have quite a few shots of the Inspire coming towards me and I chicken out and duck at the last moment!
2015-3-24
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,

I am using Final Cut Pro X and have tried everything followed, Youtube tutorials and even been into the Apple Shop today for a 1to1 session,  but I simply cant get FCP to save a still image from the 4k video footage.

Just deleted FCP and reinstalled with no result.  

After going through the Share, Save Current Image, selecting destination as desktop, then saving, a pop message states its complete but the image is blank.  Tried saving as JPEG, TIFF etc. but still doesnt work.

Any suggestions ?

2015-3-25
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-26 02:29
Jim,

I am using Final Cut Pro X and have tried everything followed, Youtube tutorials and even been ...

Sounds weird.  I'm on a shoot all day today but will try to have a look tomorrow.   Curious now!

Does it work with other footage/resolutions, just not h.264/4K?
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-26 03:08
Sounds weird.  I'm on a shoot all day today but will try to have a look tomorrow.   Curious now!

It worked once, in the apple shop and once after I reinstalled FCP, but now tried again numerous times following the Share, Save Current Frame method, only to get a blank file.  

It is obviously saving something but the file/ still image is blank.

It had the Apple 1to1 trainer bemused also as he couldnt come up with a fix or reason why it wasnt working.  Now have to wait until next Wednesday for my next Apple 1to1.

Any help or direction will be welcomed.  
PS was also trying to find a solution to saving multiple images from a video

Cheers.

2015-3-25
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-26 03:18
It worked once, in the apple shop and once after I reinstalled FCP, but now tried again numerous t ...

Test with other files so you can see if there's a pattern being followed.  

Try 1080 footage from the inspire.

Bring in a normal JPEG and see if it exports from FCP

Is it just inspire 4k or all 4k?

Basically arm yourself  with as much info as you can.  Really helps when you can paint a complete picture of the situation.
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-26 03:27
Test with other files so you can see if there's a pattern being followed.  

Try 1080 footage from ...

Jim,

Also tried with 4K footage from a GoPro Black,  same result.
Cant try any new footage from the Inspire at teh moment as it was returned a week or so ago for replacement due to strut coming loose in mid flight, problems with height and barometer sensor and dead pixels when shooting raw JPEG images.
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Jim,

Just tried saving a JPEG from a Still image I imported into FCP and it saved just as it should to the desk top.   So must be something to do with video footage ??
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Jim,

Just tried again some 4K footage I have from the GoPro and nothing but a blank still.
2015-3-25
Use props
wolftj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Could it be saving before it's rendered? Weird.
2015-3-25
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-26 03:37
Jim,

Just tried again some 4K footage I have from the GoPro and nothing but a blank still.

GB44 and Jim,

As per a question I asked earlier in the forum, are some photographers finding that extracting a still picture from an Inspire video clip in FCPX is in fact better quality than just using the Inspire 1 camera???

I found this online that might help you get a frame clip GB44...

"One of the most basic functions in FCPX. There are two ways actually. What you want is to place your playhead either with the Browser or Timeline active, go to the Share menu (the toolbar button or in the File menu (as of version 10.0.6), and look for the option to "Save Current Frame". This will allow you to export a still to your hard drive.

If you don't see it listed right away, then choose the "Add Destination" option. In there you can add it back to the menu. There are lots of options that are not in the menu by default and you can customized to your hearts content. This HUB article shows you how to customize the Share menu.
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/f ... haring-made-simpler

The second method, not what you asked for but I'll mention it anyway, is to create a still inside of FCPX. In a Timeline, place the playhead on the frame you want, use Shift-H to create a "Hold Frame". "

I look forward to your responses as I am still trying to figure out how to optimize the quality of the still photography with the Inspire 1.

Peter
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-3-26 06:48
GB44 and Jim,

As per a question I asked earlier in the forum, are some photographers finding that ...

Ok, Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried the first option numerous times and also tried to change from JPEG to TIFF with no solution.

Tried the second option using shift H.  This created a dark red tab in the time line, then wasnt sure what to do next so again tried to share the current frame.  It simply creates a file that is blank.

So still no solution.
2015-3-25
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-26 07:01
Ok, Thanks for the suggestion.

Tried the first option numerous times and also tried to change from ...

Hi,

Just tried it and it worked perfectly so don't know what's going wrong.

Here's what I did, which is probably the same as you but just in case:

1. Import 4k Inspire movie and put it in a sequence.
2. Go to the frame I want to export.
3. Goto File/Share (I didn't have it in place so went to ADD DESTINATION and add SAVE CURRENT FRAME with TIFF selected.
4. It exported fine.  Made a 4096 x 2160 TIFF image.

2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Hi Jim,

Ok, tried that exactly saving as a JPEG,  then created a new share file but as a TIFF tried twice and both times I get the Successful pop up message, it creates a file on the desk top  as intended but the file or image is blank/ white.  The file it created was 4096 x 2160 TIFF image 70.8MB, but blank.

I guess I should mention also that I am running FCP on a MAc Book Pro (2011 build) with 8GB upgraded on board memory.  The guy in the Apple shop said he didnt think the Mac machine was a problem and he couldnt understand why it isnt working either.

Any help or guidance gladly appreciated.
2015-3-26
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

Jim,

Just some more info,  I removed FCP again and installed again still no change - still unable to create or extractr a still via teh "Share" method using TIFF or JPEG.

I also tried importing a video into iMovie and thast the same unable to create a stil from the movie.  

Does this possibly suggest it may be something to do with my machine ??
2015-3-26
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Certainly something to do with the config of your machine.  

Maybe need to reinstall QuickTime or some other component.  

Since it's working here I'm not sure we can help you I'm afraid.

I did a quick search to see if this was a common issue but didn't come up with anything.

But if I were to guess I'd say it might be QuickTime or the GPU causing the issue.
2015-3-26
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

Hi Jim,
any advise as far as playing with settings when there's lag? i can't seem to get my video record smoothly. i contacted DJI and they told me to activate/enable hardware decode. unfortunately it didn't help. thanks in advance
2015-3-29
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-3-30 03:01
Hi Jim,
any advise as far as playing with settings when there's lag? i can't seem to get my video re ...

Hey Zerocool.   We first need to clarify what you mean by lag as it's very easy to accidentally answer the wrong question.

1 Do you mean when  monitoring your video while flying it stutters and skips?

2 Do you mean when playing/editing your footage in the computer the computer can't keep up and the video is jerky and sometimes pauses while it catches its breath?

3 Do you mean the Micro SD isn't capturing all the frames?

The last two aren't as easy to tell the difference but with some detail can be figured out.

So let's start with defining the issue and go from there.

Jim
2015-3-29
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Jim,   So what program do you use for editing?  I've used Photoshop for over 25 years where I used to work and its a high leaning curve and still do not know it all because I've have not needed to use all functions.  I don't like using Adobe now because of the month bleeding fee's.  Just want to buy it and get on with it.  I am using Adobe Premiere Elements for now.

I use a combination of Final Cut Pro (on the Mac) and DaVinci Resolve for color grading.    If you're on a Mac this is a great combination.   

If you're on PC, then Premiere is a good choice.   You can stay with Premiere Elements no problem.   You may still want to color correct your footage in Resolve, but you'll need to do it before editing as you can only pass the edit back and forth in the full version.  

The good news is DaVinci Resolve has a free version.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
2015-3-30
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

More great info my friend! Thanks from all of us and we look forward to more! This is not point and shoot,
Best
Rodger
2015-3-30
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 615007 ft
Norway

Hello jim
nice video
i have downloaded the out for inspire1 from the link on your youtube video,but i can get them .I have payed two times fore them ,but i can't get in contact with them to explain my problem,they don't answer my email!!
do you know i way ti reach them?
2015-3-31
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Norway

do you always shoots with the iso at 100 and as low shutter as possible?
2015-3-31
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-31 05:16
I use a combination of Final Cut Pro (on the Mac) and DaVinci Resolve for color grading.    If you ...

Hi Jim,

Being on a Mac, what order would you suggest editing in then?
Inspire 1 to FCPX; export to XML file, send to Davinci, color grade (saturation, luts etc etc)?

Peter
2015-3-31
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-1 05:07
Hi Jim,

Being on a Mac, what order would you suggest editing in then?

Hi Peter,

Exactly right!    You might even see if you can get all the effects you want right in FCPx and save the round trip, though there is no greater joy than DaVinci.
2015-3-31
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Cinestar Posted at 2015-4-1 01:35
do you always shoots with the iso at 100 and as low shutter as possible?

Hi Cinestar,   My "goto" settings are ISO100 and the shutter set to DOUBLE my frame rate.  So if I'm shooting 25FPS I aim for 50.   

I almost never get to do this however as I have to use the shutter to compensate for overexposure but setting it higher.   Hoping for more ND options in the future to help with this.   Would also be wonderful to be able to adjust the aperture on the lens itself, but that's another story.

So for me it's more a case of not going further than I have to from my ideal settings.

The overexposure meter in the app is your best friend.   Leave it on and adjust your settings so a couple of the brightest spots in your frame overexpose but nothing else.   This is your best chance at the right exposure.
2015-3-31
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Cinestar Posted at 2015-4-1 01:33
Hello jim
nice video
i have downloaded the out for inspire1 from the link on your youtube video,but ...

Cinestar, that's incredibly frustrating!   Sorry to hear about your troubles.  

My best guess is the information came into your email but was maybe rejected by a SPAM filter.   Either that or you had a typo in your email address.

Here try this:

1. Go to www.neumannfilms.net
2. on the right you will find MY ACCOUNT
3. use your email address as your user name and try to remember what password you may have chosen.   You can also retrieve your password if you forgot it but chances are if you aren't receiving emails from them this won't work either.
4. If you can log in then you can see the purchase and download the files.   It should also show you if you purchased twice and get the order numbers for a refund.

Chances are it's something simple, like a typo in the order or email SPAM issue
2015-3-31
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-30 04:50
Hey Zerocool.   We first need to clarify what you mean by lag as it's very easy to accidentally an ...

thanks Jim. i think you're right on the money with # 1 and 2. i would not consider 3 since i've tried multiple high speed cards and got no improvements. hoping for your guidance, thanks again.
2015-3-31
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-4-1 12:07
thanks Jim. i think you're right on the money with # 1 and 2. i would not consider 3 since i've tr ...

If you've tried multiple fast SD cards then maybe there is a fault?   I've never had any dropped frames on mine so not sure what might be happening.
2015-4-1
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Norway

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-1 06:08
Cinestar, that's incredibly frustrating!   Sorry to hear about your troubles.  

My best guess is  ...

thanks i will try this
2015-4-1
Use props
Cinestar
lvl.1
Norway

Hello
i have a problem to get the  over exposure warning to show up on my tablet ,i run version 1.07 on the tablet  so i think this is the newest??

i have verion 1.0.2 on my iPhone and there the over exposure warning is a options?? why have they take the over exposure warning away from the newest version??
or am i wrong here?
2015-4-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Hey all, check out my latest video here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-4-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Cinestar Posted at 2015-4-2 02:24
Hello
i have a problem to get the  over exposure warning to show up on my tablet ,i run version 1.0 ...

Is it Android?  I've heard there are some features missing on Android, don't know why this would be.  
2015-4-1
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Jim,

What were your settings for the fog video? did you use the ND filter?

2015-4-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-4-2 06:56
Hi Jim,

What were your settings for the fog video? did you use the ND filter?

Hi Rich.  Didn't use ND.  The settings were LOG, Sharpness -0, Contrast - 2, Saturation - 1.  

I shot it at 30FPS knowing I would slow it down to 24FPS to take the edge off the motion.

All lens flares and bokeh were done in post.
2015-4-1
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-2 13:38
Hi Rich.  Didn't use ND.  The settings were LOG, Sharpness -0, Contrast - 2, Saturation - 1.  

I  ...

Thank you and nicely done!
2015-4-2
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-1 17:02
If you've tried multiple fast SD cards then maybe there is a fault?   I've never had any dropped f ...

thanks. this is the my second inspire and it's still giving me the same lag issues. i'll keep bugging DJI to get some answers.
2015-4-2
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

ZeroCool Posted at 2015-4-3 08:07
thanks. this is the my second inspire and it's still giving me the same lag issues. i'll keep bugg ...

If this is your second Inspire I would really look at other potential causes.   Can you upload some original Inspire footage that shows the lag?   Or was it in live monitoring only and not in the recorded footage?

I have noticed crazy lag on the second controller in dual mode, but haven't stopped to do any troubleshooting on it.
2015-4-2
Use props
madiaz29
Flight distance : 10190 ft
United Arab Emirates

Awesome!.. Thanks for sharing Jim!..
2015-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules