Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dji Osmo+ Active Track
20015 19 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans216c86e5
New

United States

Could someone from DJI, or a consumer with the proper technical expertise, please explain to me why the DJI Osmo+ does not support "Active track"?  The osmo mobile is less than half the price and can support the feature. I saw a thread where a member from DJI explained that the Osmo+ simply does not support it, but they provided no explination as to why. I am trying to process it in my brain but I simply can not. Both systems use a remote connection to phone through the app, and therefore both systems should be able to utilize the phone's firmware and hardware in order to have the system actively track a subject. I seriously can not process how just because one uses a designated camera, while the other uses the phones camera, that it dcan not complete this task. It's especially confusint when the Osmo mobile is $299 whereas the Osmo+ is $649. My issue is that I am trying to use this camera to vlog, and I had seen the Osmo mobile in the Apple store and saw thae amazintg active track feature. The issue with the Osmo mobile is in order to use the active track on yourself, you have to use the front-faceing camera on an IPhone, which has terrible camera quality. I am just trying to find a solution where I can use one of these products, shoot in 4K, use active track, and still have a monitor view of my own face. I thought the Osmo+ was the answer, but $649 later I can't use active track. If anyone could please let me know why you think this is, if you think DJI will send out an update, or any other alternative solutions to my situation.
2017-5-25
Use props
fans216c86e5
New

United States

Sorry for the few typos, I was typing this pretty fast and now the website won't let me edit the post, however, I'm sure you can understand what I meant.
2017-5-25
Use props
eColumbia01
Second Officer
United States

fans216c86e5 Posted at 2017-5-25 08:43
Sorry for the few typos, I was typing this pretty fast and now the website won't let me edit the post, however, I'm sure you can understand what I meant.

Here is my explanation. The active track for the DJI drones is done on the drone itself. The active track feature does not have to do with the DJI GO app.
I think DJI applied to same logic to the OSMO+. The circuitry within the OSMO+ handle is not sufficient to process video and enable features like tracking.
The ability to enable active track in the DJI software, on your android device, is available but DJI does not choose to implement this in their software.  
2017-5-27
Use props
fans216c86e5
New

United States

It doesn't make any sense because you can buy the Osmo mobile head for the osmo+ handle and then all of a sudden it would support the feature...............?!@?!?!?!?!?!@?#@?@?!@?!? DJI could obviously add it in an update
2017-5-29
Use props
Marvin Yoon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 204144 ft
South Korea

I also have same concern that this is not a problem of H/W, but S/W because some third party filming S/W provide Active Tracking like feature while using OSMO+
Indeed this looks not a problem of technical limitation, but willing of DJI I think.
2017-5-30
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans216c86e5 Posted at 2017-5-29 19:51
It doesn't make any sense because you can buy the Osmo mobile head for the osmo+ handle and then all of a sudden it would support the feature...............?!@?!?!?!?!?!@?#@?@?!@?!? DJI could obviously add it in an update

No they can't.

On the Mavic, the tracking is done via the hardware in the drone. On the Osmo Mobile, the tracking is done through the hardware in your phone. The Osmo and Osmo+ obviously lack whatever processing power is needed for this function to work in DJI GO.
2017-5-30
Use props
eColumbia01
Second Officer
United States

This is not quite as simple of an issue as you are thinking: ie. if OSMO mobile apps can provide tracking then why can't OMSO+. There is an custom DJI app that can be extended to provide tracking like you are thinking. The project is located herehttps://github.com/DJI-Mobile-SD ... treamDecodingSample

It is possible to extend this project, parse the video, and provide tracking using a code set such as android face tracking or openCv.

I think DJI has not provided this as a general app for a couple of reasons. First parsing and processing the video is computer intensive and it will slow down many android devices. It is necessary to use a fast device such as the nVidia shield. Second, there is a delay when grabbing the video signal from the OSMO+ to the android device, processing the video, figuring out the tracking portion, and then sending back the commands to the gimbal. Perhaps DJI does not want to deal with both slowing down folks android devices, the delay, or even something else.

So the answer is currently if you want OSMO+ then you will need to have a custom app written. Feel free to contact me if you want a custom app to provide face tracking with an OSMO+.   
2017-5-31
Use props
fans216c86e5
New

United States

RoomierPanda Posted at 2017-5-30 12:09
No they can't.

On the Mavic, the tracking is done via the hardware in the drone. On the Osmo Mobile, the tracking is done through the hardware in your phone. The Osmo and Osmo+ obviously lack whatever processing power is needed for this function to work in DJI GO.

Yes but why can't the Osmo+ use the phone's hardware in the same way? Do you understand that you still have to have a phone paired with the Osmo+?
2017-6-2
Use props
fans216c86e5
New

United States

eColumbia01 Posted at 2017-5-31 10:55
This is not quite as simple of an issue as you are thinking: ie. if OSMO mobile apps can provide tracking then why can't OMSO+. There is an custom DJI app that can be extended to provide tracking like you are thinking. The project is located herehttps://github.com/DJI-Mobile-SDK-Tutorials/Android-VideoStreamDecodingSample

It is possible to extend this project, parse the video, and provide tracking using a code set such as android face tracking or openCv.

I am using ios, not android.
2017-6-2
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

fans216c86e5 Posted at 2017-6-2 13:09
Yes but why can't the Osmo+ use the phone's hardware in the same way? Do you understand that you still have to have a phone paired with the Osmo+?

The issue is that, in order to use the phone's processing capabilities, the real-time images must be sent to the phone from the Osmo (or Osmo+), analyzed, then commands sent back to the Osmo to adjust the gimbal accordingly.  The delay caused by having to send the images from the camera to the phone for processing is the reason DJI has apparently concluded that it takes too long to reliably track.  Also,  the higher the image resolution sent from the camera to the phone, the better the tracking algorithm will work - but that means slower image transfers.  I think the image we see on the phone isn't full resolution, so the tracking algorithm starts out somewhat crippled.

Of course, it can be done.  Two 3rd-party software vendors provide active tracking:  Vertical Studio and AutoFrame.  In my experience, the better of the two is Vertical Studio, however, neither works particularly well unless there is a significant difference in contrast between the subject being tracked and the background.
2017-6-5
Use props
Hayatosmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47680 ft
India

I am Using Osmon+
I Think..Active Track Is Not Available In Osmo + Because.. if they put this feature in osmo + then no one going to buy normal OSMO.. what do you think guys?
2018-2-22
Use props
FarmerMac
First Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hayatosmo Posted at 2018-2-22 16:04
I am Using Osmon+
I Think..Active Track Is Not Available In Osmo + Because.. if they put this feature in osmo + then no one going to buy normal OSMO.. what do you think guys?

I think it's because it's easyer to implement active track in the mobile version. Here everything
is handled in one hardware device (the mobile phone).
If the Osmo+ should handle active track You need some kind of communication between the
Osmo camera it self and the mobile phone attached as viewing screen. I gues there might be
too much delay and the result would be unaceptable.
2018-2-23
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Here is my 2cents on the topic.  DJI could easily adapt and adapter between Osmo handle and gimbal that would allow such features to be added.  This adapter would have the processing power to enable Active Track capabilities with or without a device connected.
2018-3-6
Use props
Afro_Ghost
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36447 ft
Mexico

I think is a matter of marketing. if it were a question of processing, I prefer to have a less robust video preview in order to have active track. DJI have limited some features just to make us - the buyers - go for other products. I remember when they dropped an update por the Spark to now have 4K; so, in the same way, they could put ActiveTrack in our OSMO+.
2018-12-7
Use props
JK3D developer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14154 ft
South Korea

Buy J.Y.T. Smoothing 4.
2018-12-17
Use props
SteveHall1971
lvl.1

United States

It's very disappointing that active tracking is not included, however, I am actually looking to be able to  use the DJI Go app and and i phone and lock on a stationary object and have the camera stay with that object as I move up and away and using a crane. I can "lock" using orientation button function and have the camera stay with the object if I pan away,  but the Osmo Plus will not tilt down or up to stay with it. Does anyone one know how I can make that happen? Is it a matter of settings? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

2019-1-24
Use props
SteveHall1971
lvl.1

United States

Sorry for typo-s. And I can clarify if anyone doesn't understand what I wrote. I literally just had brain surgery so I may not have been as clear as I should have been and it won't let me edit.
2019-1-24
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only way to do this sort of thing is with an AutoPilot app. - AutoFrame-  It wont track but holds a gps position while you move... sort of similar.... see website
2019-1-24
Use props
fansb407f7e6
lvl.1

United States

[url=https://www.google.com/
]href test
[/url]<a href="https://app.grammarly.com/ddocs/428003256">click here</a>

https://www.google.com/

click to go

www.google.com

2019-1-29
Use props
MWitarsa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

It's not perfect but I could manage this missing feature using Vertical Studio app.

2019-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules