Calibration/lens profile issues - Panasonic 14-42mm
2210 15 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LW UAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 858228 ft
United States

Hello, I have the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm HD lens and I tried it out on my X5S today. After I installed the lens and powered up everything I was given a warning that I needed to calibrate the lens before using. I tried going through the calibration process but when I tapped on the object over 50m away as instructed, nothing happened. I tried different lens settings (14mm, 24mm, 42mm) and pointing at different objects, but nothing seemed to work. I also noticed that it was not allowing me to take pictures or record video, except for one time and I don't know what I did to enable it. On top of that, it seems the lens profile is not accurate as I have a ton of barrel distortion (both pictures and H264 video). The lens profile displayed in the app settings is correct, I can change exposure and manually focus, so I know the camera and lens are communicating. The lens works fine on my GH5, so I doubt there is a problem with it. Is there something I am missing in setting up the lens on the X5S?
2017-5-25
Use props
fans7a896ac2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268510 ft
Australia

I have that lens also with my inspire 1 x5r. I have never been able to calibrate it on the drone. Zoom is manual on that lens. There is no AF/MF switch on the lens also. I just use it as a completely manual lens and have found it to be quite useful at times when I need to zoom in on an object. I haven't seen the distortion you speak of on x5r.
2017-5-26
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

fans7a896ac2 Posted at 2017-5-26 03:00
I have that lens also with my inspire 1 x5r. I have never been able to calibrate it on the drone. Zoom is manual on that lens. There is no AF/MF switch on the lens also. I just use it as a completely manual lens and have found it to be quite useful at times when I need to zoom in on an object. I haven't seen the distortion you speak of on x5r.

Thanks for the feedback! That is disappointing to hear that you were not able to calibrate it on the X5R. It takes away a ton of features of the app, and the barrel distortion leads to a lot of extra post processing to remove it. I figured that since DJI lists it as a compatible lens it would work as well as their stock lens, that's why I purchased it with my GH5. This is the first time I have experienced any M43 camera having this many issues with a lens. I wonder how many other "compatible" lenses have limited functionality? Hopefully DJI support can weigh in on these lens issues.
2017-5-26
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217520 ft
  • >>>
United States

LW UAS Posted at 2017-5-26 19:42
Thanks for the feedback! That is disappointing to hear that you were not able to calibrate it on the X5R. It takes away a ton of features of the app, and the barrel distortion leads to a lot of extra post processing to remove it. I figured that since DJI lists it as a compatible lens it would work as well as their stock lens, that's why I purchased it with my GH5. This is the first time I have experienced any M43 camera having this many issues with a lens. I wonder how many other "compatible" lenses have limited functionality? Hopefully DJI support can weigh in on these lens issues.

Hi the lens works fine for me, can you take a few screenshots I'll try to help you out in the morning if I can
2017-5-26
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Did you set your lens to Auto or is it still on manual?
Did you purchase the pancake lens, as I heard their was an issues with the regular lens
20170527_005258.jpg
2017-5-26
Use props
fans7a896ac2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268510 ft
Hong Kong

I was talking about this one, not the pancake

h-fs1442.jpg
2017-5-27
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-5-26 20:54
Did you set your lens to Auto or is it still on manual?
Did you purchase the pancake lens, as I heard their was an issues with the regular lens

Thanks for the info! I do not have the pancake, it is the same one shown in the picture in the reply by fans7a896ac2. Can you confirm that the pancake works without any issues (calibrates, auto focus, no barrel distortion)?
2017-5-27
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yes the pancake lens works perfectly. I had the one that you posted in the photo it was a bit less expensive but I don't believe that it was a powered lens as I also was not able to zoom using the DJI go 4 App
2017-5-28
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Be sure to pick up a set of balancing rings
2017-5-28
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-5-28 03:24
Yes the pancake lens works perfectly. I had the one that you posted in the photo it was a bit less expensive but I don't believe that it was a powered lens as I also was not able to zoom using the DJI go 4 App

Once again, thanks for the help Michael! I have a few more questions if you could be so kind to answer:

1. Are you able to control both the focus AND zoom of that lens through the Go 4 app?
2. Do you detect any barrel distortion?
3. Since the filter ring for that lens is 37mm vs the 46mm size of the stock DJI balancing ring, did you buy 37mm balancing rings or just a 37mm to 46mm step-up ring? If you bought 37mm balancing rings where did you purchase?
4. How many balancing rings did you need?
5. Is there a lens hood for this lens?
2017-5-28
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

LW UAS Posted at 2017-5-28 21:26
Once again, thanks for the help Michael! I have a few more questions if you could be so kind to answer:

1. Are you able to control both the focus AND zoom of that lens through the Go 4 app?

.I can control both focus and zoom.
.No barrel distortion
. Balancing ring: https://m.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s-balancing-ring
. The balancing ring come in 2 pieces (inner and outer ring), you would use both if you're using the lens on its own, you would remove the inner ring if you plan on using an ND filter or a hood.
. There were hoods & filters available at B&H where i purchase my lens, I haven't purchased any yet though as I wanted to try the lens and make sure everything worked properly first, I haven't been back to that side of the city Since but I'll surely pick up a set of filters and maybe a hood
2017-5-29
Use props
LW UAS
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-5-29 07:14
.I can control both focus and zoom.
.No barrel distortion
. Balancing ring: https://m.dji.com/product/zenmuse-x5s-balancing-ring

Thank you very much for all of the help Michael!
2017-5-29
Use props
hirvokar.elisan
lvl.2
Finland

Hello! i have x5s and lumix pancake 14-42 and lot of barrel distortion.  I thougt this lens is unusable of barrel distortion.       Kari
2017-5-31
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hirvokar.elisan Posted at 2017-5-31 22:47
Hello! i have x5s and lumix pancake 14-42 and lot of barrel distortion.  I thougt this lens is unusable of barrel distortion.  https://youtu.be/QaCZNrULtOA     Kari

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and haven't gotten that effect at all. Have you calibrated your lens?
2017-6-5
Use props
hirvokar.elisan
lvl.2
Finland

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-6-5 13:23
I've been using mine for a few weeks now and haven't gotten that effect at all. Have you calibrated your lens?

Yes, i have calibrated lens many time, but distortion is same.  Do you use dewarp setting on or off?
kari hirvonen
2017-6-8
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hirvokar.elisan Posted at 2017-6-8 06:46
Yes, i have calibrated lens many time, but distortion is same.  Do you use dewarp setting on or off?
kari hirvonen

I keep that setting off.
The only issue I can see looking a lot closer is that there is some fuzzy edges when zoomed in at max-zoom 42mm.
2017-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules