Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
signal lost at very close range, app unresponsive, latest update
1942 36 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1928b084
New
Flight distance : 151040 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm still recovering from the adrenaline here...
I just flew my Mavic pro here in our street/meadow. I have flown here a lot of times without any problems whatsoever.

Today, after updating to the latest firmware, I flew about 10 minutes when suddenly I got the signal lost message. The Mavic was 10 meters away about 20 meters high in full sight.
It started to RTH, but when I tried to cancel this, the app was completely unresponsive. The Mavic flew to the homepoint and started hovering at about 2 meters height.
The app and sticks were still completely unresponsive, the drone was hovering next to me. I didn't get a signal, and couldn't force the drone to land. Since it was hovering in the street not too far away from a lamp post I started to panic a little. Should I wait for the battery to deplete and would the drone land itself then? It still had about 10 minutes left and I was afraid that it would drift off of do something else unpredictable. Since I could reach it with my hands, I grabbed the drone from the bottom side and held it firmly. Ofcourse it started to respond, so I used my other hand to move the controller sticks for an emergency stop. But then I dot the message stick error on the display of the remote... The only (tricky) thing that I could do was remove the battery. Luckily I was able to remove it without losing any fingers

The app and my phone were completely frozen, I had to force restart my galaxy S7 (which is not rooted and has always been rock stable) by holding the power button 20 seconds. When I check the flight log, it says indeed that there was a signal lost, then the drone 'jumps' to the home position and the log is done...

I'm really confused here. I used the Mavic about 25 times till now and it has always been extremely stable in connection (up to 1,5 kilometres away) without any signal or image lost problems. The fact that I got a signal lost at such a close range makes me think it has something to do with the firmware update...

This whole adventure makes me a little afraid to use the Mavic again

What should I do now?

Alan
2017-5-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Can you post flight log here.
2017-5-26
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180820 ft
Czechia

Well, I have just underwent this. You will realize that the Android application is a complete piece of crap sooner or later. There are lots of threads on this topic all around. Unfortunately, DJI does not care much. The application is not mature and is laggy and completely unstable. I would not have been buying a DJI product if I knew this. I tried three various Android devices. Two of them being top models of premium brands listed on the official DJI's list of supported Android devices. Disconnects, phone lags, locks, hangs. Restarting the app while the drone was hanging just in the air. It forced me to buy an iPad. Quite a BIG extra money spent just to be able to fly the Mavic. I feel completely robbed and I cannot tell how much I am upset at DJI. That's my very recent experience with a DJI product.
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi.

If Mavic does not respond to your controller's pins or buttons, there is an error on the controller's transmitter or Mavics receiver. It can easily be a simple loose connection to the antenna. There is probably nothing else to do than deliver your Mavic to the place where it was purchased for repair. Hope you bought it locally.

The error is not due to your app or phone / tablet.

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Czechia

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-26 10:54
Hi.

If Mavic does not respond to your controller's pins or buttons, there is an error on the controller's transmitter or Mavics receiver. It can easily be a simple loose connection to the antenna. There is probably nothing else to do than deliver your Mavic to the place where it was purchased for repair. Hope you bought it locally.

On the other hand, the completely locked phone looks like an application problem, right?
2017-5-26
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-26 10:54
Hi.

With all due respect, you can't say that it is not the app with any certainty.
2017-5-26
Use props
Woodwanger
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Its not to the app as you should be able to fly just with the RC and connected not the mobile device you just will not have access to video feed and features ect but the basics to connect to he drone should still be there its a hard ware fault and I had the same problems and sent it back!
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

Liberty Air Posted at 2017-5-26 11:04
On the other hand, the completely locked phone looks like an application problem, right?

No, when the controller's pins and buttons do not respond, the error is NOT in the app but in the controller. You can try yourself and unplug the USB plug from your phone when you are in the air and check if my statements are correct. There you will discover you without problems can fly on the pins.  

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

EastyT Posted at 2017-5-26 11:10
With all due respect, you can't say that it is not the app with any certainty.

Again, you do not need the app to fly, only the controller.  

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-26 12:19
Again, you do not need the app to fly, only the controller.  

Regards Leif.

In general, you are correct.  On the other hand I have had the GO4 app crash and lock up the controller.  Most times you still have control using the controller but there are occasions where the controller still says it is connected but the wheels and sticks no longer work.  When this has happened, I have had to reboot the application and when the app is running again, the controller has resumed normal operation.  The controller always maintains connection but the controls are not responsive.  I have also had the aircraft and controller replaced under warranty for these issues and it still happens with the new aircraft and controller.  It may be the app/controller interaction, but the app certainly has something to do with it.  DJI has agreed.
2017-5-26
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Czechia

Right, period.
2017-5-26
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Czechia

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-26 12:08
No, when the controller's pins and buttons do not respond, the error is NOT in the app but in the controller. You can try yourself and unplug the USB plug from your phone when you are in the air and check if my statements are correct. There you will discover you without problems can fly on the pins.  

Regards Leif.

You are just repeating your mantra and completely forgot to comment on the locked phone.
You are wrong. A lot of users witnessed the crashed Android application completely disabling their RCs.
2017-5-26
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Czechia

Being past the two minute limit to edit, one more post ...

These two, the phone and the RC, are interconnected more than you think.
For example, have you ever tried to set up the RC using one mobile device and switch it to another one right then? You will lose your RC setup with the mobile device change.
2017-5-26
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

It appears to be the crappy FW, its a pity DJI confiscated the .400 FW that they know is the only FW with some reliability for android.
But they decided you cant have it, and now you are their guinea pig like the rest of us.

Welcome to DJI, where you spend your life in the forum trying to troubleshoot your POS purchase.
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

EastyT Posted at 2017-5-26 13:05
In general, you are correct.  On the other hand I have had the GO4 app crash and lock up the controller.  Most times you still have control using the controller but there are occasions where the controller still says it is connected but the wheels and sticks no longer work.  When this has happened, I have had to reboot the application and when the app is running again, the controller has resumed normal operation.  The controller always maintains connection but the controls are not responsive.  I have also had the aircraft and controller replaced under warranty for these issues and it still happens with the new aircraft and controller.  It may be the app/controller interaction, but the app certainly has something to do with it.  DJI has agreed.

Thanks. If in any way I did not believe what I was saying, my Mavic was delivered back to the dealer a long time ago when I have flown 4 versions of DJIGO4 that died quite regularly and never experienced it has affected the controller. Not even when it happens in active track, tripod and POI where the controller (Mavic) just goes back to normal GPS mode.

Maybe I've just been lucky so ???

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
DroneRacingClub
New
Flight distance : 625253 ft
United States

This has happened to me since the latest firmware update as well.  The App would show "aircraft disconnected" when it is only 100ft off the ground and less than 100ft away.  I flew several times and in some cases was able to use the controller without the phone connected but there were a few scenarios when the controller was non-responsive and RTH kicked in.  I even power cycled the controller a few times and finally got the controller (without the phone) to re-connect to the aircraft.  I too have a Galaxy S7 edge plus.  I honestly do not think it is the DJI Go App4 but rather the controller firmware that is the issue.  The controller should be able to connect and control the mavic without the mobile device........I've flown it like that several times without issue.  I even ran an update to the DJI Go4 app today which did not resolve the issue (case and point...controller issue not app or phone issue).  It would be great to get this resolved.
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

Liberty Air Posted at 2017-5-26 14:47
You are just repeating your mantra and completely forgot to comment on the locked phone.
You are wrong. A lot of users witnessed the crashed Android application completely disabling their RCs.

No, not a manta only common sense. Why should I comment more on a locked app since it does not matter if it is running or not in relation to the controller's ability to work ???   

There seemed to be too much superstition around that app, sorry.  

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

DroneRacingClub Posted at 2017-5-26 18:32
This has happened to me since the latest firmware update as well.  The App would show "aircraft disconnected" when it is only 100ft off the ground and less than 100ft away.  I flew several times and in some cases was able to use the controller without the phone connected but there were a few scenarios when the controller was non-responsive and RTH kicked in.  I even power cycled the controller a few times and finally got the controller (without the phone) to re-connect to the aircraft.  I too have a Galaxy S7 edge plus.  I honestly do not think it is the DJI Go App4 but rather the controller firmware that is the issue.  The controller should be able to connect and control the mavic without the mobile device........I've flown it like that several times without issue.  I even ran an update to the DJI Go4 app today which did not resolve the issue (case and point...controller issue not app or phone issue).  It would be great to get this resolved.

Your information does not sound good. With my Mavic and controller built in November 2016, I have not experienced it with my Android tablet at all even though there were 4 editions where the app died very regularly. If the problem is in the controller, DJI should immediately fix the problem as it pose a major safety risk to both Mavic and innocent people on Earth.

Regards Leif.
2017-5-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Have you had a look at the warnings in the DJI GO 4 app and are there any other warnings other than signal lost?
2017-5-26
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-26 10:36
Can you post flight log here.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I tried to attach the FLY084.DAT@17-05-26_07-28-33-862 file but the uploader doesn't accept these kinds of files. What method of posting the logs would you recommend?
2017-5-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-5-26 23:26
Hello, thanks for your reply. I tried to attach the FLY084.DAT@17-05-26_07-28-33-862 file but the uploader doesn't accept these kinds of files. What method of posting the logs would you recommend?

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

If you just go to link and follow instructions upload you flight log, and then return here and post the link.
2017-5-27
Use props
Liberty Air
lvl.1
Czechia

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-26 18:35
No, not a manta only common sense. Why should I comment more on a locked app since it does not matter if it is running or not in relation to the controller's ability to work ???   

There seemed to be too much superstition around that app, sorry.  

I completely agree with you that the RC *SHOULD* work whatever state the application is in.
But the sad truth is that it *DOES NOT* and the application is able to lock the RC.

Probably both should be fixed. The RC firmware to make its core flight controlling functions virtually independent and the application to prevent it from constant crashing.
2017-5-27
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-27 00:02
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

If you just go to link and follow instructions upload you flight log, and then return here and post the link.

thanks! here is the link:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/3D4HZ6D2YOY6YVXTJLLL/
2017-5-27
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
Netherlands

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-26 22:23
Have you had a look at the warnings in the DJI GO 4 app and are there any other warnings other than signal lost?

It may have warned about strong interference, but I was looking at the drone more than on the app screen.
2017-5-27
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Denmark

Liberty Air Posted at 2017-5-27 00:29
I completely agree with you that the RC *SHOULD* work whatever state the application is in.
But the sad truth is that it *DOES NOT* and the application is able to lock the RC.

I must have been extremely lucky all the times my app has died and not lose connection to my Mavic.   One would suppose DJI can see such events on the data in the black box and get it fixed.  

Regards Leif.
2017-5-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-5-27 03:03
thanks! here is the link:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/3D4HZ6D2YOY6YVXTJLLL/

You had strong interference it didn't go into RTH but auto landing it seemed to stop landing I expect it thought ground underneath it was not safe for landing, if you had of pushed left stick up this would have cancelled landing but when you went into landing mode you were pushing on right stick, it shows no movement on left stick.
You were in a geo space class C airspace this could have forced the landing, you will be more aware of your area so you can let us know. And what firmware are you on.
2017-5-27
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-27 05:33
You had strong interference it didn't go into RTH but auto landing it seemed to stop landing I expect it thought ground underneath it was not safe for landing, if you had of pushed left stick up this would have cancelled landing but when you went into landing mode you were pushing on right stick, it shows no movement on left stick.
You were in a geo space class C airspace this could have forced the landing, you will be more aware of your area so you can let us know. And what firmware are you on.

Thanks for your reply.

When the connection was lost the first time (strong interference), the mavic automatically went to the home point (red line on the log). The app showed 'returning to home' which I tried to cancel by touching the red x, but the app was unresponsive already. It then started to land. The surface underneath was perfect flat (road) so it could have landed without any problems. The Mavic kept hovering on 2m height however.

I also pushed the sticks into several directions to see if it responded independent from the hanging app, during the red line movement of the log, and also afterwards when it started to hover/ try to land, but it seems that the log did not record all the data. When I replay the log in the app, it suddenly jumps (red line) to the end of the log, and stick input is not shown at all. After the end of the log however, the phantom hovered for at least 1 minute, and I pushed sticks into all directions, I tried to use the touchscreen of the app, and finally I pushed the pins to the diagonal down opposite directions for an emergency motor stop. All of this stick input is not shown in the log, since it happened after the log ends.

The display of the remote said something about stick calibration error during these emergency stop push actions. After all this, I decided to hold the mavic and remove the battery...

I know this is a class C airspace. I have flown (with caution) many times (20+) around this area. The drone has never returned to home because of this.

app version is 4.1.0, firmware 01.03.0700, database 00.00.01.04
2017-5-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-5-27 12:44
Thanks for your reply.

When the connection was lost the first time (strong interference), the mavic automatically went to the home point (red line on the log). The app showed 'returning to home' which I tried to cancel by touching the red x, but the app was unresponsive already. It then started to land. The surface underneath was perfect flat (road) so it could have landed without any problems. The Mavic kept hovering on 2m height however.

Just to be clear what happened and because there is a chunk of your log missing you should sync your flight log to dji cloud in your app and ask them to have a look they should be able to tell you what happened.
Good luck...
2017-5-27
Use props
oscar-dk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Liberty Air Posted at 2017-5-26 10:41
Well, I have just underwent this. You will realize that the Android application is a complete piece of crap sooner or later. There are lots of threads on this topic all around. Unfortunately, DJI does not care much. The application is not mature and is laggy and completely unstable. I would not have been buying a DJI product if I knew this. I tried three various Android devices. Two of them being top models of premium brands listed on the official DJI's list of supported Android devices. Disconnects, phone lags, locks, hangs. Restarting the app while the drone was hanging just in the air. It forced me to buy an iPad. Quite a BIG extra money spent just to be able to fly the Mavic. I feel completely robbed and I cannot tell how much I am upset at DJI. That's my very recent experience with a DJI product.

if sticks are dead it has nothing to do with IOS or android?
2017-5-27
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Captain
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

i did update as well. i have samsung s5 . i did 3 flights with 3 separate batteries. didnt notice any major changes but.. on each bat flight the ac was a bit squirley on take off going on its own to the left. then i either got a code for rc , hd or sd pretty much right away. i would land , unplug and reboot everything. after that all seemed good. i didnt get to fly again on each battery  again yet after charge to see if it happens again. i did notice though , on my assistant 2 i still do have 5 and 6 and 7 that i can down grade back too. if i have same issues on next flights , i will try the down grade and see what happens . hope this info helps someone.
happy n safe flying!
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

These kind of reports are what really scare me about the spark.
2017-5-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-5-27 03:08
It may have warned about strong interference, but I was looking at the drone more than on the app screen.

The DJI GO 4 app stores the warnings. In the settings menu, tap on Warnings and they are listed by date. Just select the date and it will show you the warnings.
2017-5-27
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
Netherlands

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-27 21:40
The DJI GO 4 app stores the warnings. In the settings menu, tap on Warnings and they are listed by date. Just select the date and it will show you the warnings.

Thanks, will check that.
2017-5-29
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-27 13:00
Just to be clear what happened and because there is a chunk of your log missing you should sync your flight log to dji cloud in your app and ask them to have a look they should be able to tell you what happened.
Good luck...

I mailded dji supportt with the story and the logs. Waiting for their reply
2017-5-29
Use props
Alan Frijns
New
United Kingdom

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-5-29 22:06
I mailded dji supportt with the story and the logs. Waiting for their reply

They told me to uninstall and reinstall the android app, with a direct link from the dji site...
I will try this and fly again this weekend.
2017-6-1
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Happens to me just now. Second flight. Gimbal went crazy as well. Signal lost after 200m distance and 35m height. Terrible update.
2017-6-1
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Alan Frijns Posted at 2017-6-1 10:20
They told me to uninstall and reinstall the android app, with a direct link from the dji site...
I will try this and fly again this weekend.

So, they either have no clue. Or they have a broken app in the Play Store. As apps in the Play Store can be updated within 1-2 hours, I guess it's the first.
2017-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules