Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Mavic Pro still worth it?
7632 31 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
derekw2458
New

United States

I have enough to buy the Mavic pro, but I am not sure if it would still be worth it at the point in time, the reason being because I assume they will release a Mavic 2 soon which should obviously be better than the original Mavic Pro. I would like to hear people's opinions on whether I should wait to see if the next model will come out soon, or go ahead and stick with the Mavic Pro. Any suggestions are appreciated.
2017-5-26
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

If you get a good one, it's amazing. With the spark out and no patent on mavic 2 yet, probably going to be awhile. Something about a mavic standard was reading about, going to be a stripped mavic.
2017-5-26
Use props
2Luke2
New

United States

No, not with the application update that forces you to register and login. Mine is being returned.
2017-5-26
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

The answer is: Are you always going to wait for the Newest, Latest, Up To The Minute device or are you willing to draw a line in the sand and buy what's available at the time?

The first instance means that you'll NEVER buy anything and you'll be left on the sidelines, waiting for the next best whatever.  The second instance means you do your homework and make the decision you are comfortable with and enjoy life.

It's really up to you and how you view life.
2017-5-26
Use props
derekw2458
New

United States

2Luke2 Posted at 2017-5-26 13:50
No, not with the application update that forces you to register and login. Mine is being returned.

What do you mean by it forces you to register and login? Register with the FAA?
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

2Luke2 Posted at 2017-5-26 13:50

This is such an overreaction.  The product needs to know where you are initially for all sorts of reasons.  I still cannot fathom why some people are so anti registering and activating a drone.  
2017-5-26
Use props
MavicMule
First Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I've had zero issues w/my mavic other than weather related fly conditions.  Buy now, sell later if the second version is more appealing.  You will love it now, so make the purchase.
2017-5-26
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the inspire 1 still worth it? Same goes for the mavic.  It's all up to your application and use, just like buying a used car.  
2017-5-26
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

No, there is no forced registration to the FAA, what Luke is talking about is, that there is a new software upgrade coming and in order to use all of the drone's capabilities you will have to sign in with your email and login. This is likely, because a lot of people found ways to circumvent some flight restrictions protocols and they want to have at least a way to track them down. There has been some rumors in which some competitors had used DJI's drones to do some shady stuff.
2017-5-26
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
First Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

And I hear that the goggles can read your thoughts...

But really, I don't think the Mavic 2 will be out within the next 6 months. I think we will see a Phantom 5 before the Mavic 2. I could easily be wrong though.
2017-5-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The Mavic is definitely worth it. As DJI have now just released the Spark, I think their next move will be with the Phantom. I could be wrong but I think the current Mavic will be around for a while yet.
2017-5-26
Use props
PHL
Captain
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Question to ask yourself; does the current Mavic satisfy your requirements? I feel that if it does, buy it. There is value in being able to fly a drone, rather than wait for vapourware. If you always want something better, you'd never buy a computer, as 9 moths later it's obsolete even though it still serves its original purpose.
Prices have also come down, whereas waiting for the next model, waiting for it's availability and perhaps waiting for it to be affordable means the next model is always on the horizon.
2017-5-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had a few problems with my mavric at first but they were fixed with firmware updates. If you have the $ then go ahead and buy it. The mavic is very futuristic just make sure you get the DJI refresh.
2017-5-27
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Hell Yes!!
2017-5-27
Use props
Broken Deviant
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176919 ft
United States

Get it. You will be very happy with it. I am.

I have been flying drones for many years. I have built a lot of drones. I have used DJI flight systems from 2012 on. The DJI Mavic Pro is by far the best drone I have ever used. It does great in wind. The in flight and recorded image is amazing. It folds up into a small backpack that makes it easy to transport. It is truly amazing. 30 min flight time.
2017-5-27
Use props
bcjkdem1
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-27 02:34
I've had a few problems with my mavric at first but they were fixed with firmware updates. If you have the $ then go ahead and buy it. The mavic is very futuristic just make sure you get the DJI refresh.

I agree with anything in this post said, but the DJI Refresh. Kinda a ripoff, when you can get a state farm personal articles policy for cheaper (only $60 a year for my Illinois coverage) and you get a full payment if anything happens to your drone, no questions asked. I have seen too many stories of people being d!cked around by DJI with their refresh claims and they do not cover anything if you can't recover your drone after a crash.
2017-5-27
Use props
MikeQView
Second Officer
United Kingdom

i have both the inspire1 v2 and the mavic,  and i feel the hardware is mostly pretty good,  but the software and firmwares are really, really  poor,  i spent ages,  downloading then testing, trying, testing, trying firmwares and softwares,   i was in the market for three more DJI craft  ,  M200,   inspire2 and the latest spark,  but due to the appalling  software and firmware i wont buy any of them, unless they show a marked improvement to how they deal with this, i see no option but to pull out and go with a different manufacturer for my future purchases or go back to building my own craft specific for task as i used to.  when you eventually get one to behave it is awesome,  but when you get firmware and software issues its no more than a frustrating paperweight.  you only have to read through these forums to see it.
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bcjkdem1 Posted at 2017-5-27 11:02
I agree with anything in this post said, but the DJI Refresh. Kinda a ripoff, when you can get a state farm personal articles policy for cheaper (only $60 a year for my Illinois coverage) and you get a full payment if anything happens to your drone, no questions asked. I have seen too many stories of people being d!cked around by DJI with their refresh claims and they do not cover anything if you can't recover your drone after a crash.

I think the DJI refresh is a good thing if, and only if, it's your first drone. I have never crashed a quad and have been flying since these things came on the market but I never put myself in a situation where I would have issues. I see too many new pilots try to fly near wire and trees, people and cars and they crash minutes into there first flight.
2017-5-27
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

There is likely going to be a release of a slightly cheaper Mavic with a lesser quality camera before there will be a Mavic 2.  I can promise you won't see a Mavic 2 for a long time.  It took quite awhile after the Inspire 1 came out before the 2 was released.  So the only reason to wait is that you are simply not ready to pony up money for a really good quality and proven drone.  There are lots of people that will tell you it fits its functional intention extremely well (basically a highly portable decent 4k platform).

No reason to wait if you have the budget and the interest........
2017-5-27
Use props
PHL
Captain
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

MikeQView Posted at 2017-5-27 11:04
i have both the inspire1 v2 and the mavic,  and i feel the hardware is mostly pretty good,  but the software and firmwares are really, really  poor,  i spent ages,  downloading then testing, trying, testing, trying firmwares and softwares,   i was in the market for three more DJI craft  ,  M200,   inspire2 and the latest spark,  but due to the appalling  software and firmware i wont buy any of them, unless they show a marked improvement to how they deal with this, i see no option but to pull out and go with a different manufacturer for my future purchases or go back to building my own craft specific for task as i used to.  when you eventually get one to behave it is awesome,  but when you get firmware and software issues its no more than a frustrating paperweight.  you only have to read through these forums to see it.

As a matter of curiosity, iOS or Android?
Software is always a problem with most things nowadays; I gather BA is grounded due to software as well.
2017-5-27
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

I sat on the fence debating whether or not to buy one, then finally made the plunge last March. My only regret is that I waited so long to pull the trigger. I love it!
2017-5-27
Use props
fansceac5b39
New
Australia

I bought the P4... then a few months later the Mavic came out. I sold my P4 because the portability of the Mavic was just so inviting and the image quality was similar!! I haven't pulled the trigger on a Mavic yet because the image quality / tech has been improving on the phantom range (P4Pro, P4Adv). And now the spark looks pretty damn good as well although it is lower res, early days yet though.

I get the whole, "does it suit your needs" argument but when it is not used for exclusively professional use and it is part hobby use, they aren't really needs, theyre wants! And at the end of the day I want a small form factor (Mavic) quad with better image quality (Mavic 2?).
2017-5-27
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Im only a month in but I would buy a mavic again, even if it dropped in the water tomorrow.   to see everything around me from a different angle so effortlessly has been worth every penny.
oh yeah, and side and rear sensors on v2
2017-5-27
Use props
MikeQView
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PHL Posted at 2017-5-27 15:02
As a matter of curiosity, iOS or Android?
Software is always a problem with most things nowadays; I gather BA is grounded due to software as well.

i started off with android,  and my inspire still has a locked samsung tab A tablet (3.0.0),  i did stick with a firmware version(1.9.1.30+) that is reliable from last year.   my mavic started with Android but annoying software and firmwares drove me to Ipad mini 4 cellular,  its currently running .400 very well,  and before that it ran .200 well ( other than active track, locked it up) no other versions have ran reliable for me, and i have tried them all up to .600
2017-5-27
Use props
bcjkdem1
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-27 12:43
I think the DJI refresh is a good thing if, and only if, it's your first drone. I have never crashed a quad and have been flying since these things came on the market but I never put myself in a situation where I would have issues. I see too many new pilots try to fly near wire and trees, people and cars and they crash minutes into there first flight.

I'm not sure if you read the rest of my post, but State Farm covers the full cost of your drone, no matter what happens to it, and they cut you a check within a few days. "No matter what happens to it" includes it being lost/stolen/crashed into a lake/fell out of the sky, never to be seen again. DJI Refresh covers..... well, frankly, whatever they choose to cover (and definitely NOT if it is non-recoverable), and you will be waiting a good while to actually get a replacement, because they take forever to process claims. Oh, and State Farm coverage is only $60 a year, at the most... Seems like a pretty clear choice to me...
2017-5-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bcjkdem1 Posted at 2017-5-28 05:50
I'm not sure if you read the rest of my post, but State Farm covers the full cost of your drone, no matter what happens to it, and they cut you a check within a few days. "No matter what happens to it" includes it being lost/stolen/crashed into a lake/fell out of the sky, never to be seen again. DJI Refresh covers..... well, frankly, whatever they choose to cover (and definitely NOT if it is non-recoverable), and you will be waiting a good while to actually get a replacement, because they take forever to process claims. Oh, and State Farm coverage is only $60 a year, at the most... Seems like a pretty clear choice to me...

You are correct, State Farm is a much better deal and at that price it's something that I'm going to look into myself.
2017-5-28
Use props
bcjkdem1
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-28 07:39
You are correct, State Farm is a much better deal and at that price it's something that I'm going to look into myself.

Call your local State Farm office and ask them to buy a personal articles policy for your drone. I have one, already used it for a crashed Mavic once, and now my replacement Mavic is covered under the same policy, at no additional cost. They didn't ask any questions about my claim. Just "oh, it's crashed and totaled? Ok, we will be sending a $1,000 check within a couple days."... I can assure you, you will not have the same experience with DJI.
2017-5-28
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

bcjkdem1 Posted at 2017-5-28 07:58
Call your local State Farm office and ask them to buy a personal articles policy for your drone. I have one, already used it for a crashed Mavic once, and now my replacement Mavic is covered under the same policy, at no additional cost. They didn't ask any questions about my claim. Just "oh, it's crashed and totaled? Ok, we will be sending a $1,000 check within a couple days."... I can assure you, you will not have the same experience with DJI.

Thank you, I'm Google this info now.
2017-5-28
Use props
keon718nyc
lvl.1
United States

Mavic Pro so far has been nothing but awesome times. Using a ipad mini 4 and works flawless all the time. Waiting on the Mavic Pro 2 is like wasting time rather then having fun now with one great portable drone like no other in the market for what it is and price...
2017-5-28
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 15:10
This is such an overreaction.  The product needs to know where you are initially for all sorts of reasons.  I still cannot fathom why some people are so anti registering and activating a drone.

It's called Hysteria.  This drone is worth every penny and so is the company behind it.  I had to register the first time I activated my drone and they simply asked you to "sign" back into the app (the updated one).  I have no problems with it and just flew another 12 flights with no issues.  This is the best drone out there for this price point.  I could care less who knows where my drone is as I'm not doing anything illegal with it or putting anyone's safety in danger.
2017-5-28
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

BUY IT !!!!! lol worth every penny my friend.  Fly it everywhere, follows the laws and place safety before all else.  You can always sell it for a good price if need be.  I don't see DJI releasing a Mavic 2 anytime soon.   
2017-5-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

There's still nothing that can compare to the Mavic Pro if you want to hike, fly, and get great video.  No telling when the Mavic 2 will appear.
2017-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules