Goodby DJI, mavic coming home to you
1692 9 2017-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

Besides the few issues with the horrid crashing app, mavic mechanical problems out of the box I am returning my mavic. I ha appauling customer service when ordering. That should have been flag number 1. I finally cancelled my order after days and ordered fom another vendor.
These false no fly zones have renedered my drone useless unless I drive 20 miles just to test settings. I live in area with 2 military bases and can't even get the drone to take off 5 feet to test some issues it has with panning. The FAA is the US oversight on UAV. Not you DJI. We all understand the reasons not to fly near an airport, military base, school etc... If someone breaks these rules then I completely agree they should be held accountable. However, locking everyones device out to false, over mapped zones to the point you can't even get a foot off the gorund is unreal. When i purchased this device it was not apparent that it's creator could and would police my use and now forcing me to register. You're walking a slippery slope with these forced restrictions. You're telling me I cannot have my drone 5 feet off the ground filming my dog because a military base is within 10 miles? No thank you...China may be a police state but the US is not. Not paying 1500 for a device that can be controlled from china and restricted by someone thousands of miles away.
The app must have just updated because I was using my old not internet connected phone, then switched to my connected phone to test some mechanical issues and boom, can't even take off. Beware of this update everyone!

2017-5-26
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hungary

I second that. This getting ridiculous that is why NO UPDATE FOR NOW, until they sort this sht out.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

It's not just DJI or China.  I suggest you look in your own country to see what's happening too.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/ ... at-is-a-No-Fly-Zone
What is a No-Fly Zone?QuestionWhat is a No-Fly Zone?

Where does it apply?

AnswerDrone regulations vary around the world. Most won’t let you fly your drone near sensitive areas. In the U.S., these areas include military bases and Washington, D.C. Your controller automatically looks for sensitive areas and sets up recommended no-fly zones around them. No-fly zones are represented by red zones on the flight map. Karma will not let you fly into or take off within the red zone. Take Karma out of the no-fly zone and try again.

To ensure safe flying, always check official sources and be completely aware of local regulations and flight restrictions before you take off.

Built-in No-Fly Zones prevent Karma from flying into restricted areas.

Restricted Flight Zones
As an added safety measure, Karma sets up restricted flight zones around airports. Restricted flight zones are represented by yellow zones on the flight map. In the U.S., restricted flight zones are the area within 5 miles (8 km) of an airport. The area within 1.5 miles (2.4 km) of major airports are no-fly zones. We consider major airports as airports that have class B or class C airspace around them.

You must obtain permission to fly in restricted flight zones. Karma will ask if you have clearance from the local airport and air traffic control to fly in the area. You can take off and fly anywhere within the restricted flight zone if you confirm that you have permission. If you do not have permission, take Karma out of the restricted flight zone and try again.

You must obtain permission to fly in restricted flight zones.

Pro Tip: Plan ahead. Be sure to check and comply with all local drone flying regulations before take off. When traveling, keep in mind that restrictions at your destination may be very different from your local regulations.

For more helpful information on No Fly Zones based on the FAA Regulations, please check out the B4UFly Smartphone App available for iOS and Android.

Karma supports no-fly zones and restricted flight zones in these countries:
  • United States (No-fly zones and restricted flight zones)
  • Mexico (No-fly zones only)
  • Belgium (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Canada (Restricted flight zones only)
  • France (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Germany (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Italy (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Netherlands (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Portugal (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Spain (Restricted flight zones only)
  • Switzerland (Restricted flight zones only)
  • United Kingdom (Restricted flight zones only)

2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Gentleman.  Every company manufacturing drones will have to comply with NFZs.  Get used to it.  It's not impinging on your freedom or privacy.  We do not need drones flying by hospital helipads, airports, government building, etc.  There is a very big concern with drones and rightfully so.  If you live by an airport there isn't much you can do but drive away out of the zone to fly.  Commercial airlines do not need drones zipping by them and jeopardizing the lives of hundreds of people.  An airport NFZ is 5-10 mile radius because of how long it takes a plane to decent into the landing pattern.  From outside of the NFZ radius around an airport, your flight altitude around airport is limited to a 15 degree incline starting at 20 meters outside the outermost edge of the no fly zone.  The altitude rises the farther away you go.  Your drone is not grounded or dead.  You can fly but it has to be outside the airport no fly zone.

Watch the video on this page

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
2017-5-26
Use props
fans2fd94c46
lvl.1
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 19:47
Gentleman.  Every company manufacturing drones will have to comply with NFZs.  Get used to it.  It's not impinging on your freedom or privacy.  We do not need drones flying by hospital helipads, airports, government building, etc.  There is a very big concern with drones and rightfully so.  If you live by an airport there isn't much you can do but drive away out of the zone to fly.  Commercial airlines do not need drones zipping by them and jeopardizing the lives of hundreds of people.  An airport NFZ is 5-10 mile radius because of how long it takes a plane to decent into the landing pattern.  From outside of the NFZ radius around an airport, your flight altitude around airport is limited to a 15 degree incline starting at 20 meters outside the outermost edge of the no fly zone.  The altitude rises the farther away you go.  Your drone is not grounded or dead.  You can fly but it has to be outside the airport no fly zone.

Watch the video on this page

No one said anything about wanting to fly in front of commercial airplanes, hospitals helipads, airports or government buildings. Im talking about 5 feet off the ground in my own back yard on my private property. I actually fly REAL aircraft and am quite familiar with pattern entry's and the dangers a drone could poses. Don't assume your 1 minute google session suddenly made you smarter to win in the defense of DJI and be a forum hero. The problem is assuming everyone will and wants to go out and break those rules. That is what you are implying by saying. The favorite is the commercial airline. How many have gone down due to hitting a drone? I'll let you google that one too. Just because potential exists doesn't mean it has or will. The potential exists for anyone on earth to hurt another human yet are we going to lock are selves up before hand because it's possible? Think, don't be a sheep and stop being over dramatic. This pseudo drone police has become as much of a hobby as flying them for some.
2017-5-26
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 20:02
No one said anything about wanting to fly in front of commercial airplanes, hospitals helipads, airports or government buildings. Im talking about 5 feet off the ground in my own back yard on my private property. I actually fly REAL aircraft and am quite familiar with pattern entry's and the dangers a drone could poses. Don't assume your 1 minute google session suddenly made you smarter to win in the defense of DJI and be a forum hero. The problem is assuming everyone will and wants to go out and break those rules. That is what you are implying by saying. The favorite is the commercial airline. How many have gone down due to hitting a drone? I'll let you google that one too. Just because potential exists doesn't mean it has or will. The potential exists for anyone on earth to hurt another human yet are we going to lock are selves up before hand because it's possible? Think, don't be a sheep and stop being over dramatic. This pseudo drone police has become as much of a hobby as flying them for some.

But GoPro has also adopted it.
2017-5-26
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

They should make the NFZ's more intelligent, like a limited fly zone where within this range you can only fly 20 feet off the ground.
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

fans2fd94c46 Posted at 2017-5-26 20:02

If you fly REAL aircraft as you say, then you should be a little more understanding of the the laws concerning no fly zones.  I don't need to use google to have common sense and understand that.

You on the other hand should look up etiquette and basic human skills, because you have none.  I understand you can't fly in your own backyard but there isn't a need to come onto a forum, be rude and call people ignorant because they have opposing opinions.

Drones are dangerous and will be enforced no matter how much people complain.  It will only become more strict and for good reason.  Live within the rules of the land or move.  It's pretty simple.
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

trance728- Posted at 2017-5-26 20:09
They should make the NFZ's more intelligent, like a limited fly zone where within this range you can only fly 20 feet off the ground.

Now that's a good response.  Well said.  The update is supposed to do just that.  Updates them in real time and DJI rezoned airports and made the NFZ more accurate.  There's a video online going over just this.
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-5-26 20:06
But GoPro has also adopted it.

Yes they have because they are being told to do so or face heavy penalties i'm sure.  Every drone maker will have to do the same.  There is not running from it.  It's for the protection of everyone.
2017-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules