Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Let me whine for a while about the remote control
2156 8 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

I am really interested on getting a Spark for fun purposes. Mainly to familiarize myself with FPV racing since Goggle compatibility is coming soon. Considering how cheap it is, this is the only DJI drone that I don't care to hit a tree or a wall and I calculated it must be a good introductory drone for small kids too. However the major issues that I have with this product are regarding DJI decision on the remote control.

1. The remote control connected to the phone using ad-hoc wifi. There are few issues with this. a) Wireless connection between 3 devices will surely introduce latency on the operation. This is because the phone is connected to the remote using wifi and then the remote is connected to the aircfart via wifi too. Won't this ironically cause interference or lag? b) Having forced to connect everything over wifi, my concern is about mobile data management. We will have to update the aircraft over data or computer. Map data mid flight also will have to be loaded using data. Having using many ad hoc wifi devices: camera, hd, etc. Wired is a lot better than wireless.

2. No remote control shipped with the standard package. Not really a big issue but worth mentioning. I understand that DJI wants this product to be able to be operated by anyone without any RC. Thats probably why they heavily try to sell us gesture control and phone control over wifi. For that price, especially here in UK (£520), it is a total rip off not to include the remote control unit. I already has a Mavic remote but since they are different technology I cannot use the Mavic's on Spark even though they looked like 70% similar.

Do you think I am being irrational or DJI has done the right thing?

Thank you,
Lok

Adhoc wifi phone-remote control

Adhoc wifi phone-remote control
2017-5-27
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the remote should have been included as well as prop guards. DJI I'd making a fortune on these things. Example, inspire 1 came out with a price tag of $3300.00 less than a year later they come out with an new and improved inspire 1 v2 and drop the price to $1999.00 and there still making money on it!!
2017-5-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you are using the remote with your phone, only the remote is connected to the drone. Your phone is connected to the remote with a cable, at least that's how the Mavic is.  
2017-5-27
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just looked at the remote manual and I stand corrected, it doesn't use a cable.
2017-5-27
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

trance728- Posted at 2017-5-27 07:08
I just looked at the remote manual and I stand corrected, it doesn't use a cable.

I did write that. The phone connected to the remote using wifi. No cable involved.
2017-5-27
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

If you want something for FPV training look at the Blade line of quads. They have done a lot for new to FPV pilots with reasonably priced bind and fly aircraft.  
2017-5-27
Use props
fanse3ef7808
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115741 ft
United States

Woa, wifi-connection between the controller and the phone instead of wired seems like a huge issue to me...Why would they do that?
Also, it seems like none of the reviewers got a controller yet. It seems like the controller could be a big problem for the spark..
It's hard to believe that wifi between all three devices is going to work very well....

By the way, does that mean that livestreaming won't be possible?Not sure if phones can use the LTE connection when they are connected to wifi...

2017-5-27
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

TXBiker63 Posted at 2017-5-27 09:08
If you want something for FPV training look at the Blade line of quads. They have done a lot for new to FPV pilots with reasonably priced bind and fly aircraft.

I cannot do that. If I use a brand, I have to keep with that brand. I cannot explain it. Let say, I just won't be happy if I have stuff with different brands.
2017-5-27
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fanse3ef7808 Posted at 2017-5-27 13:52
Woa, wifi-connection between the controller and the phone instead of wired seems like a huge issue to me...Why would they do that?
Also, it seems like none of the reviewers got a controller yet. It seems like the controller could be a big problem for the spark..
It's hard to believe that wifi between all three devices is going to work very well....

I also could not think the reasoning on doing that. Looks like now, the remote controller is just a wifi repeater.
2017-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules