1105 4 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just got back from flying off 4 Batteries with the Goggles, here are some thoughts.

I am in the fortunate position that I have access to about 100 acers of farmland away from houses and other annoyances so able to give the goggles a good work out. Initally I was concerned that my eysight and the 'young eyes' design of the goggles may give me some issues. I have age related deteriation in my ability to focus close up along with a 'lazy right eye' which meansd that my right eye cannot be corrected, oh how I wish I wore those glasses with the patch 40ish years ago :-(

Anyhow, my eysight can be corrected with contacts which gives me a good view in the goggles, apart from the right hand functions, 'Flight Mode', 'Settings' & 'Camera' which I can tell are selected and enough detail to select them. A future software might allow the position of the menu to be switched from right to left which would help those who suffer from this common problem.

Flew the Mavic using the goggles from take off to landing, what an improvment in enjoying the aircraft, no issues with reflections or sun causing the almost unreadable iPad, flew a battery off experimenting with the various flight modes, then got adventurous.

New battery and time to try Fixed Wing mode. I have always had an issue getting this to work, often the controller asks me to pless C1 to initiate but then it ignors me, I have found a double click seems to work, maybe I missed that bit in the manual. Flew about for another battery controlling the aircraft using the remote, an intresting and a little confusing at first when you think your're facing the aircraft but its behind you and you have subconsiously turned around while flying.

Time for some flying using head gestures, new battery and off we go, selected 'Head Tracking Flight' then selected Fixed wing, the aircraft is now following cammand from moving my head, asending and decending depending on where I look. Awsome fun skimming along at a couple of meters off the ground, I have some video, I will share when I get it edited down. Confidence grew as I got used to the sensation. No idea what I looked like standing still rolling my head about!

By the end of the session I wasnt using the controller I just held it by my side ready for landing. I was able to carry out sweeping climbs and decents with reletive ease.

Its a lot of fun and it seems to give a better perspective on what the aircraft is doing and I enjoyed the experience, there are some issues though, which with some new firmware resolve.

They are a bit combersom & the head band is designed for people with round heads, once 'on eyes' they are bearly noticable, 'off eyes' they will fall off.
There needs to be an acceptance that not all DJI Customers have 20-20 vision & for £500 I would like to see some tweaks to the firmware to allow the menus to be able to be positioned on either screen, and an adjustment for the lenses to compensate for focal plane.
The FPV view afforded by Head Tracking Flight - when I turn my head, the aircraft turns, and continues to turn, it dosent stop if I turn my head back, I have to turn my head the other way, to get it to do that, It could do with having an option to track my/your head more acuratly so when looking straight a head again it stops turning.
Not sure how many mount & unmount the headband will tolerate its pretty tight.

Apart from that its a good addition to the aircraft. Once the Thunderstorms clear out might have another go.
2017-5-27
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Enjoyed your review and look forward to seeing the video.

Your comments about looking strange rolling your head around makes me think you should video yourself while in flight with the goggles.  Then embed that video in the corner of your flight video so it becomes clear how the head tracking affects the flight (and flight video).

Thanks for sharing.......
2017-5-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-5-27 08:07
Enjoyed your review and look forward to seeing the video.

Your comments about looking strange rolling your head around makes me think you should video yourself while in flight with the goggles.  Then embed that video in the corner of your flight video so it becomes clear how the head tracking affects the flight (and flight video).

Head tracking makes footage super shaky (not usable). However, it is the live view experience in 60fps that makes head tracking unreal like you are absolutely a bird. Like a hawk loitering overhead looking for prey. You see how his head looks all over - THAT is what it is like.
2017-5-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

An optometrist may be able to make you some custom spectacles. I went out & bought a bunch of pairs of reading glasses. Hopefully a set will help with focus for me.
2017-5-27
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is a link to my trial flights using the goggles, no post correction, raw video

2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules