One for you teckie guys out there..
775 5 2015-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

On the BBC new (UK) tonight they had a phantom with a GoPro on flying down some tunnels underground. Now there wouldnt be any GPS for stable flight down there so how did they do it.

Im includinh some pics stole off the news prog, can you tell me what set up they have used???

Buzz
drone01.jpg
drone02.jpg
drone03.jpg
2015-3-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

you dont need gps if you fly with atti mode.  and without any wind down there it would prob fly pretty stable.  there is always the risk of RTH if like the batteries died in the TX but other than that, it should fly fine in a mine.  
2015-3-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GPS is only a assistant tool, to either hold position or RTH. Just need to fly it yourself. It's the old fashion way, how did we manage before GPS.
2015-3-10
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-3-11 03:10
GPS is only a assistant tool, to either hold position or RTH. Just need to fly it yourself. It's the ...

What choices do you have?  If not in Phantom/GPS mode, then all you have left is ATTI or full manual.  The colors of the blinking LEDs tells you what mode he's in.

Regardless, some good flying and some nice PR for quadcopters for a change.

Paul
2015-3-10
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Okay - but I still want to know what kit he's using if possible.....
2015-3-10
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-11 04:12
Okay - but I still want to know what kit he's using if possible.....

he does seem to have a lot of stuff tacked on there.  

Having worked for a transit company in the past, when building underground they frequently have a dual GPS system in place - an above ground system to get the satellites and a below ground repeater system that all their equipment connects with for tracking and control.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules