Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Airport rules
871 7 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mjacobson
lvl.2
United States

When calling the airport tower about flying a drone within 5 miles of the airport, are you requesting permission to fly in the airspace or are you just telling them you'll be flying?  I've heard it different ways and just want to make sure I'm doing it right.  The last time I requested to fly they said to stay under 200 feet, but my understanding was I could still go up to 400 feet.  
2017-5-27
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

You only need to notify them date and time you fly. How high you can fly is depending on how far you are from the airport.
You only need to notify them if that airport has tower.
2017-5-27
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

What do you have to do with helipads that are located at most hospitals.  They really limit the flying space.  Additionally the app shows lots of "landing strips" that are nothing more than a grass field that some properties have in the rural areas.  The app considers them "airports".  SMH!!!
2017-5-27
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

You are only required to notify airports who HAVE tower. Otherwise, fly with cautions. If you are in the US, try B4UFLY app.
2017-5-27
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
United States

I do use the B4UFLY app.  It's shows all the helipads and landing strips and marks them with a 5 mile radius.  I haven't tried flying since updating the DJI Go 4 app.  Hope they don't cause a problem.
2017-5-27
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-5-27 17:03
I do use the B4UFLY app.  It's shows all the helipads and landing strips and marks them with a 5 mile radius.  I haven't tried flying since updating the DJI Go 4 app.  Hope they don't cause a problem.

They do not stop you from flying with a helipad near by.  I updated the app and I live across the street from a major hospital with two helipads.  The app does not block me from flying.  I fly to 400 feet down the block on my fire department property with no issues or at my house across the street.  I do not fly at any time when I hear a helicopter around though.
2017-5-27
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-27 17:50
They do not stop you from flying with a helipad near by.  I updated the app and I live across the street from a major hospital with two helipads.  The app does not block me from flying.  I fly to 400 feet down the block on my fire department property with no issues or at my house across the street.  I do not fly at any time when I hear a helicopter around though.

Good to know....thanks for the verification that you can still fly after updating the app.
2017-5-27
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-5-27 17:53
Good to know....thanks for the verification that you can still fly after updating the app.

No problem at all.  I live on Long Island, New York.  We have, I believe four major airports that cover almost the entire island radius wise.  On top of that, we have hospitals, new agencies and wealthy people with helipads and I have never had an issue flying before of after the update.  Be safe and enjoy!
2017-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules