6342 13 2017-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Hello,

Placed Mavic on table and recorded 15 minutes of 4k video for test purposes.
Video card on board was Samsung Evo 64 rated specifically for 4k video use.

First thing I realized is the card capacity time on DJI GO app doesn't change to show the time remaining on card for recording,
just the total capacity in time, of whatever card is being used. I guess this is normal.

I have read that it is also normal for files to be split after about 9 minutes of recording due to file system limitations?

Anyway, recorded the 15 minutes @ 4k then pulled SD card and loaded onto PC and the single 15 minute video had been split into 3 files.
First file was video start to 9:05 minutes where it split. About 4 GB.
Second file was 5:55 in length and about 2.6GB.
Third file was 10 seconds long and about 75MB.

I don't understand why there weren't just two files, first one being the 9 minutes and the second one 6 minutes long instead of making 3 files?

Thanks in advance for insights!

2017-5-27
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
United States

No comments, similar experiences?
2017-5-28
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

No, it's not normal you get 3 files in 15 minutes. You must have the camera turned on / off twice.

Will guess you can see it yourself if you collect the clips and play them.

Regards Leif.
2017-5-28
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

This is a limitation of the ICT-technology, not of the drone or DJI, a video file can never be recorded longer than 4.x gB. Nothing you can do about that. Maybe some day Windows and Linux and Mac OS will agree to lift that limit if in any way possible.
For now, you just need to stitch the parts together with a video-editing program, which is no problem at all.
Beware: these are things you need a PC or a MAC for, any tablet or phone is too weak to work with the highly compressed files of the video @ 4K and sometimes even at Full HD.
2017-5-28
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2017-5-28 06:20
This is a limitation of the ICT-technology, not of the drone or DJI, a video file can never be recorded longer than 4.x gB. Nothing you can do about that. Maybe some day Windows and Linux and Mac OS will agree to lift that limit if in any way possible.
For now, you just need to stitch the parts together with a video-editing program, which is no problem at all.
Beware: these are things you need a PC or a MAC for, any tablet or phone is too weak to work with the highly compressed files of the video @ 4K and sometimes even at Full HD.

This is totally incorrect.  The file system limits the size of individual files.  FAT32 limits size to 4GB.  If you format your card to NTFS you won't have any such limitation (or exFAT).  Also "ICT tech" is not relevant;it is not a specification.
2017-5-28
Use props
The Doctor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258186 ft
United Kingdom

I have several MOV files that are larger than 4Gb, so I don't think there is any limitation. I think my SD cards are formatted as exFAT.
2017-5-28
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2017-5-28 06:20

Also I will add that if the SD card is a 32 GB it can only be formatted using FAT32.  This  limits file size to 4GB max.  So the only way to have a file larger than 4GB is to use a 64 GB card (formatted to exFAT or NTFS).  The user's problem is that he was using a 32 GB card.
2017-5-28
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Also I will add that if the SD card is a 32 GB it can only be formatted using FAT32.  This  limits file size to 4GB max.  So the only way to have a file larger than 4GB is to use a 64 GB card (formatted to exFAT or NTFS).  The user's problem is that he was using a 32 GB card.  See my other posts above. Thanks.
2017-5-28
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

The Doctor Posted at 2017-5-28 10:01
I have several MOV files that are larger than 4Gb, so I don't think there is any limitation. I think my SD cards are formatted as exFAT.

Yes, 4.05 gB to be exact, never bigger than that
2017-5-28
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-28 09:56
This is totally incorrect.  The file system limits the size of individual files.  FAT32 limits size to 4GB.  If you format your card to NTFS you won't have any such limitation (or exFAT).  Also "ICT tech" is not relevant;it is not a specification.

Of course you are right but that is beside the point. The question of the first poster was if there was anything wrong with his DRONE. I just wanted to make clear that that was NOT the case. Your more detailed explanation is right and I agree. I just put it in a more simple way. And still you need some kind of agreement between system-developers and -builders about the kind of formatting they want to be the standard.
2017-5-28
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-28 10:03
Also I will add that if the SD card is a 32 GB it can only be formatted using FAT32.  This  limits file size to 4GB max.  So the only way to have a file larger than 4GB is to use a 64 GB card (formatted to exFAT or NTFS).  The user's problem is that he was using a 32 GB card.

The card used as mentioned in OP was a 64GB. Looks like Go4 app uses exfat format. File size hasn't exceeded 4GB.
2017-5-28
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2017-5-28 12:21
Of course you are right but that is beside the point. The question of the first poster was if there was anything wrong with his DRONE. I just wanted to make clear that that was NOT the case. Your more detailed explanation is right and I agree. I just put it in a more simple way. And still you need some kind of agreement between system-developers and -builders about the kind of formatting they want to be the standard.

Ok I understand- I didn't read fully through the posts well enough...
2017-5-28
Use props
dwarfland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288038 ft
Curaçao

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-28 09:56

Hmm, odd, i have a 128GB SanDisk that's formatted as ExFAT, but still I get split-up files... (DJI mini Pro 3)
2023-1-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dwarfland Posted at 1-7 05:47
Hmm, odd, i have a 128GB SanDisk that's formatted as ExFAT, but still I get split-up files... (DJI mini Pro 3)

Yes, that is normal, the explanation given by 'randy.sauder' is incorrect, the size of the file is not conditional upon the format being used. DJI intentionally split the files for an archane reason that has long been ittelevant and forgotten. They now do it and claim it protects you from losing one large file.
2023-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules