Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini 2 incapable of reliable downlinked video?
1588 7 2017-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi Folks,

Posting this in hopes of some confirmation data points.

I have been flying my P4Pro on an iPad Mini 2 with incredibly unreliable downlinked video to the tablet.

I have actually sent my P4Pro back to DJI, it was repaired under warranty and sent back to me...the iPad Mini 2 downlinked video is still unreliable - comes and goes, full green frames, red lines, effectively useless to be honest.

This weekend, I tried both an iPhone 7 Plus and an iPad Mini 4 as the downlink device and these both perform orders of magnitude better - nearly no drop outs, no green frames, and barely any stutter.

Has anyone else had this experience?  Is the iPad Mini 2 just not capable enough from a hardware perspective to handle the downlinked video from a P4Pro?

Note:  I use the iPad Mini 2 with my Mavic Pro with zero issues from a downlink perspective.

dave

2017-5-28
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could test this simply by using the Mini 4 with the P4P. The Mini 2 does not have the power of the Mini 4, so your assumption about your experience is likely correct. I had the same issues with the Mini 3 (which is almost identical to the Mini 2) but my P4P flies virually error-free with my Mini 4.
2017-5-28
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi GrindLab -

yeah I flew with the mini 4 and P4Pro this weekend and it was near perfect...my post above had a typo - the mavic flies perfect with the mini 2 as well...i have just corrected this, but i had erroneously typed mini 4 on that last line...sorry.

i assume the p4pro requires more processing for the downlink than the mavic...making the iPad Mini 2 not reliable when flying.

in summary:

7 Plus, Mini 2 and Mini 4 works with the Mavic great from downlink perspective
7 Plus, Mini 4 work with the P4Pro great from downlink perspective (Mini 2 does NOT)

dave

2017-5-28
Use props
pasaytenpete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47346 ft
United States

Strange in that DJI still has the Mini 2 as part of its reccommended devices, but it is optimized for the 7...

iOS:iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular.  
This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.
Android:Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, MI 3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20, Sony Xperia Z3, Smartisan T1.
2017-5-28
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>

I use both MINI4 and IP6S+ with no issues. Waiting on the Crystal though!
2017-5-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use a Mini 2 with both my P4P and P4, and experience occasional visual 'break-up', but it's not consistent so I put it down to frequency interference. I'll check if it's similar using my iPhone 7 at those locations.
2017-5-28
Use props
fans920a1b6b
lvl.1

New Zealand

It is unlikely the A5 processor in the Ipad mini 2 is fast enough. For us it was fine with the Phantom 3 Pro but not fast enough with the Inspire Pro You will need the A7 or A8 (Ipad mini4). Or pinch your wifes iPhone 7 like I do until the we get the new Ipad….Cheers Denis
2017-5-28
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time for a Mini 4. That is what I use and normally there are no issues. I do have link problems when the Phantom battery compartment hits 115 degrees.
2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules