Lens cover.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Strudy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36119 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, now I've only just got a phantom and I have to say that I am impressed with the 4K camera, I have only just started to fly so I am a complete novice, my only gripe with the whole set up is there is No Lens cover with it, I have a DSLR and would never leave my lens without a cap, surely seeing as they only cost pennies to make DJI would have made one to fit?
2017-5-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it is a very good point, a lens cover should be supplied. Hello DJI?
2017-5-28
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

have a look at eBay under gimbal lock & lens cover. Supposedly for as little as a dollar. Bet the freight costs though.
Also couple with polarising/ND lens.
2017-5-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which Phantom do you have ? The Gimbal securing clamp on the Phantom 4 also acts as a protection for the optics.

Edit, I've just noticed it's the P3 section, and you are correct they should come with a lens cap as standard.
2017-5-29
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Why doesn't the topic say what category it was in - Phantom3 Adv/Pro? DJI fix it please

I use one of these as a clamp and lens cap...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer- ... er+phantom+3+gimbal

2017-5-29
Use props
Strudy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36119 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry I'm new on here I thought it would go to the phantom 3 professional forum, but I do think that whatever dji it should come supplied with a lens cap/hood. I work in plastic moulding it a shame one isn't made under licence, I've ordered one off eBay £1.00 free pp
2017-5-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Technically the bit of glass you see at the front of the camera isn't the lens.  The actual lens is inside the tube and the exposed bit is a UV filter.  It is able to be unscrewed and replaced if damaged, or with other filters such as the various ND and polarising filters that are available on the usual sources.  Much like a DSLR, you would typically use a "cheap" UV filter over the front lens elements as sacrificial protection for the more expensive lens.  DJI did have a replacement "clear" filter available for replacement, or you could look at the other filters from numerous sources.  Be aware they are difficult to get off as the tube is very thin and prone to distorting, making it feel as though it is welded on.  The usual tricks work here--rubber gloves/elastic bands over the ring/filter wrenches to get a good grip will see the filter unscrew easily.  I agree it would have been quite simple for DJI to have included one (replacing that dreaded clear block could only be an improvement), but it tends to be one of the first gadgets in a long list of gadgets that one acquires.  A 3D printed lens cover/gimbal lock combined with a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon (a keyring) seems to be a popular choice.

cover.png
2017-5-29
Use props
captirwin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-5-29 06:02
Technically the bit of glass you see at the front of the camera isn't the lens.  The actual lens is inside the tube and the exposed bit is a UV filter.  It is able to be unscrewed and replaced if damaged, or with other filters such as the various ND and polarising filters that are available on the usual sources.  Much like a DSLR, you would typically use a "cheap" UV filter over the front lens elements as sacrificial protection for the more expensive lens.  DJI did have a replacement "clear" filter available for replacement, or you could look at the other filters from numerous sources.  Be aware they are difficult to get off as the tube is very thin and prone to distorting, making it feel as though it is welded on.  The usual tricks work here--rubber gloves/elastic bands over the ring/filter wrenches to get a good grip will see the filter unscrew easily.  I agree it would have been quite simple for DJI to have included one (replacing that dreaded clear block could only be an improvement), but it tends to be one of the first gadgets in a long list of gadgets that one acquires.  A 3D printed lens cover/gimbal lock combined with a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon (a keyring) seems to be a popular choice.

[view_image]

I would suggest to REMOVE BEFORE POWERING ON, or risk overloading gimbal.
2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules