Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: Want the OPTION to AUTO record video between takeoff & land...
123Next >
9344 93 2017-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

i would like to auto record the remote video stream on my phone. and overwrite it if it is full or per flight, with the option to safe it manually. that would be nice.
2017-6-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-7 06:19
I don't usually disagree too much with Ex Machina, but I do here.  I think the OPTION would be great.  I try to remember to record 100% of the time I fly.  That way, when/if something does happen, I have a little more evidence to investigate and troubleshoot with.  You talk about "you should pay more attention to flying".  That's exactly why the option should be there.  If I have to try to remember when to record and when to stop recording, I am paying less attention to flying.  It's hard enough to do with these lousy small screen that don't work in the sun.  Take a little burden off by at least knowing it will record all the time if you want it to.  And by the way, there should be very little development effort needed.  The button is there, as is the button in software for on-screen control of record.  The option toggle would simply add a line of code to trigger that software switch to ON at startup or takeoff and OFF when landing or shutting down.  You can't fill up a card on one battery anyway, so you aren't going to run out of room.

You can't fill up a card on one battery, but you sure can by the time you get to your third. ;)

Honestly, I'd rather have (and have asked for) an option to continuously save downlink video, regardless as whether I am recording to the Mavic's card or not, up to whatever cache size setting I define for the exact same reason you mention.

2017-6-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

octm Posted at 2017-6-6 22:40
It definitely doesn't hurt to have this as an option... it still be an option, so no one here need to actually use it  
At least for me looks more useful than the fixed wing mode...

Oh man, fixed wing mode is not at all what I thought it was going to be, but it's a blast flying in that mode!
2017-6-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

CynicalZombie Posted at 2017-6-7 05:56
Rather than Auto-Record (or in addition to), I'd rather see an option which would allow me to locally cache videos w/ audio even if I'm not recording. And bump up that 16GB to a size of my choosing.  I can handle at least a 64GB cache on my 256GB iPhone.  There are plenty of times I record getting to and from the shot I actually want to get just so I have footage in case something happens.

Just wrote the same thing, this would be more useful to me, personally, and doesn't fall into the category of permanent fix for a temporary problem.

It's interesting that the poll shows us nearly evenly divided on opinion, I would have thought it much more in favor of the feature.
2017-6-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2017-6-7 07:26
i would like to auto record the remote video stream on my phone. and overwrite it if it is full or per flight, with the option to safe it manually. that would be nice.

Maybe we should open a poll to see if that idea is popular -- thought I was the only one until today.
2017-6-7
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

well i don't like to record the whole flight, as i dont like to cut 24min videos and want to take pictures and stuff. but in case something goes wrong, i would really like to have a recording of that rc video stream. and i think it would be easy to offer this option for dji. they basically do it already, if you record a video.
2017-6-8
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-7 13:33
Maybe we should open a poll to see if that idea is popular -- thought I was the only one until today.

I certainly wouldn't be against that, but if I'm looking for cause for a crash, I want the best video I can have to catch details.
2017-6-8
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I also like the idea of automatically recording the full flight w/ camera settings and flight info in a SRT or text file saved to the phone.
( + 1080 or 720 res and the ability to increase video cache)
2017-6-8
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-8 10:21
I certainly wouldn't be against that, but if I'm looking for cause for a crash, I want the best video I can have to catch details.

Assuming you are able to retrieve the AC. But, yeah, I hear ya.
2017-6-8
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

where can u find this option again?
2017-6-8
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DSANCHEZ003! Posted at 2017-6-8 13:03
where can u find this option again?

You can't -- this is a poll gauging support from the Mavic owner community for adding such a feature.
2017-6-8
Use props
DSANCHEZ003!
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-8 13:08
You can't -- this is a poll gauging support from the Mavic owner community for adding such a feature.

so its defaulted to record when take off.? i dont noticed it. need to fly when i get home and see.. lol
2017-6-8
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

DSANCHEZ003! Posted at 2017-6-8 14:14
so its defaulted to record when take off.? i dont noticed it. need to fly when i get home and see.. lol

No, there's no auto record feature in the Mavic, just some folks who would like there to be, someday.
2017-6-8
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

"where can u find this option again? "

In the Litchi camera settings .
2017-6-8
Use props
VMav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76814 ft
United States

I think dedicated button is enough.
2017-6-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

would like as an "option" since I lost some nice shots when forgot to start recording ....
2017-6-11
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

Looks like the "Yes" option has made a little bit of a comeback! This has been one interesting horserace to watch! With the vote soo divided, DJI should really make this an OPTIONAL setting.
2017-6-12
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

I like that Idea  I dont know how many times Im so concentrating on my flying  and  ect. that I forget to click record because I tell myself I'll start recording  when I get to altitude.  fly out and realize  im not recording its an option that would be good not everyone will use it but nice to have auto ON or OFF.
2017-6-12
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

Lok Mavic Posted at 2017-5-29 06:08
Is it not too redundant since we already have a dedicated button to do just that?

i voted yes but after reading your post i think it wouldn't be worth the time and effort, even though it wouldn't be much effort, to create that option when you could press the record button just as easy as you can take off. "Redundant" is now the key word.
2017-6-23
Use props
enc3phalon
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Personally, I wouldn't benefit from this feature, but it wouldn't be difficult to implement. The mavic already has the dedicated record button who's event, when triggered calls the start and stop function when toggled. All the software developers have to do is to call those functions when take off and landing events are triggered. For me, it's not too much of a hassle to move my thumb a centimetre or two to press the record button. It's actually has become second nature now.
2017-6-23
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Great idea - an option to have auto-record.  I suppose it could come defaulted to *not* auto-record, with an option to auto-record, that way everyone gets what they need, and it doesn't cost a thing!
2017-6-25
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-7 13:33

That would actually be useful, too! (Answered yes to the poll question, btw)

Had a strange occurrence yesterday when the gimble started to move, video blanked a few times and the camera became unfocused (looked like a camera reboot mid-flight?) Unfortunately I forgot to start recording pre-flight, so nothing got recorded. And also cache - I started getting cache warning even though the phone had 38GB free memory and the 64GB SD was less than half full, so I could not start recording when the incident happened either.
2017-7-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-7-21 04:45
That would actually be useful, too! (Answered yes to the poll question, btw)

Had a strange occurrence yesterday when the gimble started to move, video blanked a few times and the camera became unfocused (looked like a camera reboot mid-flight?) Unfortunately I forgot to start recording pre-flight, so nothing got recorded. And also cache - I started getting cache warning even though the phone had 38GB free memory and the 64GB SD was less than half full, so I could not start recording when the incident happened either.

You get the cache warning if you don't have the cache set to auto-empty once it's reached the limit you've set.
2017-7-21
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-21 06:24
You get the cache warning if you don't have the cache set to auto-empty once it's reached the limit you've set.

Thank you. Found the setting now, and also set the capacity to 16GB. Would have been good to have 48GB and 64GB options as well, since my phone has capacity for that.

At least I see now that the SD card has the video, which I thought was not recorded due to the cache being full.

And yes, as you suggest, "Always cache video feed" option would be really helpful.

I can also understand why there is almost a 50-50 split in responses. It has to do with how people view their drones, I think.

For some it's a flying camera platform, which they use much like a hand-held camera: get into position, frame a shot, shoot, stop shooting, pack your equipment.

Others view their drone as a flying vehicle with a "dash-cam" on board. It's the latter, who'd like the auto-on function, much like what you find in the car dash-cams.
2017-7-21
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

Bumpity.  I like this future option.
2017-7-23
Use props
Aerial Boundary
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126309 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-16 10:49
Use Litchi.  Aito-record option has been there for ages.

That's one reason I would like it in DJI Go. I got used to it in Litchi so I'm extra likely to forget to start recording in DJI Go.

Barring the auto-record option, I wish there was a much more obvious visual distinction between when you're recording and when you're not so that you'd be more likely to notice. Right now you get a big red circle when you're *not* recording, which is easy to confuse with the red circle that many cameras use to indicate that you *are* recording.
2017-7-23
Use props
Edward Hore
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

I can't believe the arrogance of the experienced pilots not thinking of anyone but themselves. Having an option to auto-record - especially at sports events - would be a god send. I guess I am just not as perfect as someone with over 300,000 flight distance. But I do enjoy using my drones.
2017-8-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Really dont want that.  Just a way to (i) fill up my tablet cache (ii) fill up the SD card and (iii) will interrupt or turn off when i change to photo mode anyway.
2017-8-8
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Is it not too redundant since we already have a dedicated button to do just that?

Which always I forget to push when something awesome is facing the camera....
2017-8-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I missed what would probably have been my best footage ever shot because I forgot to hit record.  I was really concentrating on the job of flying the exact path I wanted, without getting into other trouble that I totally blew it.  I've also had it drop out of record twice, but I understand that has now been taken care of in an recent upgrade.  I was really disappointed when I went to stop the recording process and it was already off.
2017-8-29
Use props
juosma
New
Flight distance : 233573 ft

Sweden

This feature really needed - I voted YES
2017-9-26
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never been a fan of auto anything, prefer that I control it.
2017-12-30
Use props
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I would rather like to have an auto stop recording option after landing as I always talk to friends and forget to stop recording after landed, wasting lots of memory space in my sd card
2017-12-30
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Why using still dji go when there are so many faults ??  Someday you are loosing your drone.
I used Litchi instead, much more stable, and when you have any problems, litchi team helps you . They test them in betaversions and only release them when firmly tested.

And there is more: Have a look at ultimate flight V3

Feature Highlights:
• Panorama mode: 1-touch vertical, 360° horizontal and spherical panoramas. Panorama photos can be recorded in HDR, Burst and AEB
• Advanced Ground Station editor allowing you to create missions that include advanced operations such as orbits and panorama operations, all with a single touch. Orbit and Panorama waypoints are an Ultimate Flight exclusive, no other app has this capability today.
• Follow me follows you while automatically maintaining camera focus
• Follow touch mode, place and drag a marker anywhere on the map and the aircraft will follow
• Orbit mode include real time controls enabling you to change flight behavior during the operation
• Automatically sync your flight logs with your HealthyDrones.com and DroneLogbook.com accounts
• Save and load Ground Station and Orbit flights
• Mapping support. Use your favorite KML editor to create and load waypoint missions from services like MapsMadeEasy.com and Google Earth to name a few
• Save KML map overlays you create, no more blank screen. Also compatible with GIS map overlays
• Camera focus mode in Selfie, FPV and waypoint flight. You handle the flying and leave the app to manage the camera position for you!
• Advanced location reporting: lat/lng, DMS or UTM (perfect for environmental studies and surveying operations)
• Course Lock / Home Lock available at 1-touch
• Advanced camera settings and shooting modes including HDR, AEB, Burst and interval
• Auto record starts video when you begin flight
• Dynamic home point

These 2 apps works better then dji go. DJI must improved in this!
2017-12-31
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can either what forever for dji to add this feature or you can spend 25 bucks to purchase litchi app and enjoy auto record today...
2018-1-1
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Weird results so far. The question, to me, isn't about an auto record feature. It seems to me we're being asked if we want an option to decide how something should work or do we want to be told how it will work? I vote for options. Especially if one of the options is status quo.
2018-1-1
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-29 12:16
To be honest, DJI had profits of $416 Million in 2016 and a valuation of $10 Billion.

I think they have the resources and devs to add all those features and more.

$416 MILLION IS NOT MUCH.
BETTER THAN NOTHING.
2018-1-1
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I could imagine the video size could get pretty large if this was enabled -- especially for the folks that record at 4k. What would you do if the SD card is full, not take off / flash warnings?
2018-1-1
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I think its a stupid idea just press tye button after take off! And when done....really a poll?
2018-1-13
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I'm sure this would require another update, No,No,No,No !!!!
2018-1-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules