Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Avoiding charging your smartphone with the RC?
273903 273903 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

Hi,
I'm on Android and when I connect the Mavic's RC to my smartphone the smartphone starts charging, depleting the RC. My Smartphone has a better battery than the RC so I don't want this to happen!
Is there a way to avoid this: ie no USB charging?
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Are you using USB-C cable?

I have two androids but only the one with USB-C connection sucks the life from the RC.
2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-30 03:00
Are you using USB-C cable?

I have two androids but only the one with USB-C connection sucks the life from the RC.

Thanks for your answer.
I am using the DJI Cable : USB C on  my smartphone and a strange USB C with the DJI logo on the other side that plugs into the top left side of the RC.
I will try with the center bottom RC USB type A plug. Thanks for the idea.
2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

floco Posted at 2017-5-30 03:21
Thanks for your answer.
I am using the DJI Cable : USB C on  my smartphone and a strange USB C with the DJI logo on the other side that plugs into the top left side of the RC.

Yes: you are right! Using the central USB A plug does NOT charge my smartphone so this is exactly what I need. Thanks!
2017-5-30
Use props
Acciaro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139085 ft
Latvia

floco Posted at 2017-5-30 03:21
Thanks for your answer.

That will not help. Android phones are charging from both (top left and bottom center) USBs.
2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Acciaro Posted at 2017-5-30 03:29
That will not help. Android phones are charging from both (top left and bottom center) USBs.

Shoot: you're right! I don't know how I tested a few minutes ago, but after your message I tested again and indeed the RC charges my phone thru both ports

So : it there ANY solution to not charge the phone? Perhaps a special USB cable?
2017-5-30
Use props
x1m0x
lvl.2
Belgium

same issue here, there is an app that stops usb charging but phone needs to be rooted.. name is:
Disable ADB USB Charging ROOT
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bramantya.stopcharging&hl=en

2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

x1m0x Posted at 2017-5-30 04:20
same issue here, there is an app that stops usb charging but phone needs to be rooted.. name is:

Excellent find! Unfortunately my phone is not rooted. For the time being I can fly 3 batteries with the RC draining power so not a major issue, but the phone DOES get hot and anyway its battery is better than the RC's
2017-5-30
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

floco Posted at 2017-5-30 04:14
.......is there ANY solution to not charge the phone? Perhaps a special USB cable?

The only way i have found to stop the RC charging the android phone which uses USB-C is to not use it. lol

Otherwise there is that work around with rooting your phone etc which is over the top for some.

DJI should make FW for this function to be turned off.
2017-5-30
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Try using the bottom USB only, and disconnect side cable.  This solved my charging issue, on IOS system, for both my iPhone 6 & iPad Pro.  After 20 min of flight, controller depletes to 88%, and iPad is still at 92%, so I could technically run 3x and still have above 50% battery.
2017-5-30
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Strange.  My Sony (USB-C) says it is charging but it is not.  I still have about 50% power left on the RC after 3 batteries of flight.  Maybe it is only some phones.
2017-5-30
Use props
floco
lvl.2
France

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-30 09:08
Strange.  My Sony (USB-C) says it is charging but it is not.  I still have about 50% power left on the RC after 3 batteries of flight.  Maybe it is only some phones.

50% for 3 batteries is about normal: I end on 40% with 3 batteries used, but I fly my batteries down to only 3 minutes flight time remaining. So perhpas you are recharging your phone with your RC without knowing it.
2017-6-12
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Worse is when you forget to power down your controller. My note 7 paired with the Mavic controller gets about 4 batts of flying before the controller needs a charge.

My fix
I bought a new USB Cable, and an Apple IPAD mini 2.  After 20 minute flight, the controller still has 95% battery remaining (i am using the bottom USB port). This means the Ipad mini isnt sucking any juice from the Controller.

I wonder if DJI can limit the USB voltage output on the controller via firmware (drop to 0.3amps). The moment the Phone/device does not detect enough juice, it stops the charging (as seen with ipads).
2017-6-12
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Can't you just pull the curtain menu (top menu) down on your phone when connected and choose another USB mode? (I haven't tried myself. I'm fine the low current charging  to help my phone get going).
2017-6-12
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

I am using Xiaomi Note 3. And for sure the Mavic controller is charging my phone and heat it up till my phone CPU overheats and stopped working completely. Perhaps DJI should come up a solution to it… really need the fix fast…
2017-9-8
Use props
netfolks2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19544 ft
United States

I also would like to see other options here.  I can't get my Android phone to stop charging, thus depleting the battery on the controller sooner than I'd like.  I hope DJI is reading this.  I'd be glad to get another cable if it would work.  This is a weak characteristic of the whole Mavic experience.  If the controller dies, flying is basically limited.   Too bad there was not a switch or software option to click to stop this from going on.  If you have a fix, thanks in advance for posting it.
2017-11-1
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

There is a way around that problem, that will allow you to fly while charging ;-)

2017-11-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Turning off FAST USB CHARGING worked for me on a Samsung Note 5.
2017-11-30
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

oh man no wonder why my RC is always low on battery! never even noticed that its charging my phone.  DJI needs to disable this through their app.
2017-11-30
Use props
2FF
lvl.1
Latvia

I have same problem too. I even can't fly my 3 batteries from fly more combo. I get around 40% percent on remote after second battery. Flying when your remote battery is low and it is beeping all the time is not an option. It totally ain't normal. Dji should solve this problem. Limit amount of power that phone drain for example.
2017-12-6
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

2FF Posted at 2017-12-6 08:47
I have same problem too. I even can't fly my 3 batteries from fly more combo. I get around 40% percent on remote after second battery. Flying when your remote battery is low and it is beeping all the time is not an option. It totally ain't normal. Dji should solve this problem. Limit amount of power that phone drain for example.

Under Advanced Battery Settings on your phone make sure fast cable charging is not set on.
It will speed up the charging and the heat.
2017-12-6
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Just stop the option " Fast cable charging ".

For Samsung devices ( I have Note 5 ):      DEVICE MAINTENANCE  >>  "BATTERY" > from the 3 dots  >  "ADVANCED SETTINGS" >>  turn off the option "Fast cable charging"

In this way the mobile gets less charge from the RC.
2017-12-6
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

Henrik Olsen Posted at 2017-11-30 13:23
There is a way around that problem, that will allow you to fly while charging ;-)

https://youtu.be/0CAgrmyLYk4

I do the same thing to get around the problem. It's an extra piece of gear, but it's nice to have a backup power source.
2017-12-6
Use props
2FF
lvl.1
Latvia

G_Sig Posted at 2017-12-6 09:17
Under Advanced Battery Settings on your phone make sure fast cable charging is not set on.
It will speed up the charging and the heat.

I use Meizu mobile phone. Fast charge is turn off in settings. Remote can't charge device to full, so even my phone is 100% from the start, after two batteries i get 90% on phone 40% on remote.  Phone support root from the box, but system folders are different  so app that disable charging won't work. I understand that i can take powerbank, but this is not how it should work. I think it major flow for many android users and it should be fixed by Dji.
2017-12-6
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

Same problem here, disable Fast Charge help but not solve the problem.  Please DJI fix this.
2017-12-26
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I join the choir of users who wish DJI to solve this via app/firmware update.
Please DJI.
2017-12-26
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Make sure your phone is charged to begin with. The phone won't draw too much current from the RC if it's battery is full, or almost full.

I have a Galaxy S8+, with fast charging enabled.
If I start flying with both the phone and RC's batteries full, I can do 3 full flights and the RC battery doesn't go below 50%.

Also, if you land the aircraft at about 20-30% battery you can use the Combo's power-bank adapter to charge your phone between flights so it will start the next flight almost full.
2017-12-26
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Argentina

EranR Posted at 2017-12-26 07:18
Make sure your phone is charged to begin with. The phone won't draw too much current from the RC if it's battery is full, or almost full.

I have a Galaxy S8+, with fast charging enabled.

Thanks for the tip EranR! yesterday trying this I go to the field with the S8+ full. I use normally, without recharge, and after 3 MavicPro battery the remote have around 40% of battery. That mean that work well with the phone full, but really will be great have a control over this.

You have any screen protector on S8+? My original Samsung film go up after few uses into the remote :S
2017-12-27
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

drn3px69 Posted at 2017-12-27 03:59
Thanks for the tip EranR! yesterday trying this I go to the field with the S8+ full. I use normally, without recharge, and after 3 MavicPro battery the remote have around 40% of battery. That mean that work well with the phone full, but really will be great have a control over this.

You have any screen protector on S8+? My original Samsung film go up after few uses into the remote :S

I have a glass screen protector but I'm not really happy with it.
The S8+ is really a great phone but the curved screen is it's only disadvantage, in my opinion.
I don't believe there is a good glass screen protector that would fit this phone perfectly and not get dust particle underneath.
Luckily I can remove the protector and clean it, once in a while. Works for now.
2017-12-29
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

Also got a S8 and there is no problem with 3 batteries, still got power in the RC..  Also there is a good thing that it can charge your phone, i do hikings with my drone and nice to have a RC as a powerbank ;)  but yeah, would be nice if you could
turn it off and on.
2017-12-29
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

The power bank described in the video above works great, rarely use it but an inexpensive way to get around the issue. Easily charge the RC while flying or charge both the RC and Tablet between flights while driving to a different location.
2017-12-29
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Argentina

EranR Posted at 2017-12-29 01:25
I have a glass screen protector but I'm not really happy with it.
The S8+ is really a great phone but the curved screen is it's only disadvantage, in my opinion.
I don't believe there is a good glass screen protector that would fit this phone perfectly and not get dust particle underneath.

Thanks, yes, some other use the "liquid nano protection",  I don´t know, not give me true confidence...
2017-12-29
Use props
fansc8c06895
New
Flight distance : 4209 ft
United States

Hello,

I have the same problem with android. On the Note 8 there is option for the USB to change it from "charge the phone" to " charge the other device " but it says the RC does not support it. Changing to media files transfer or some of the other options does not support it.
2017-12-30
Use props
hal9001
lvl.1
Romania

i just bought the mavic air fly more combo and realize that in fact is "fly less combo".
I use a Lenovo P2 wich has a 5100 mAh battery. This drains my controller completely in less than 30 minutes.
If I connect my phone via the bottom USB of the controller, the DJI Go4 app does not connect to the controller.
WTF is going on ?! this is a major design flaw !
2018-2-8
Use props
hal9001
lvl.1
Romania

hal9001 Posted at 2018-2-8 00:32
i just bought the mavic air fly more combo and realize that in fact is "fly less combo".
I use a Lenovo P2 wich has a 5100 mAh battery. This drains my controller completely in less than 30 minutes.
If I connect my phone via the bottom USB of the controller, the DJI Go4 app does not connect to the controller.

i will ask for a refund since i cannot use this drone for more than 25 minutes if i am away from a power outlet, no matter how manny batteryes i have to the drone !
I am verry dissapointed
2018-2-8
Use props
MavricPro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 538504 ft
United Kingdom

hal9001 Posted at 2018-2-8 00:37
i will ask for a refund since i cannot use this drone for more than 25 minutes if i am away from a power outlet, no matter how manny batteryes i have to the drone !
I am verry dissapointed

I would say that's more of an issue with your device using way too much power! Have you looked for an option to disable charging or fast charge?
2018-2-8
Use props
hal9001
lvl.1
Romania

MavricPro Posted at 2018-2-8 00:52
I would say that's more of an issue with your device using way too much power! Have you looked for an option to disable charging or fast charge?

there is no option to disable charging via USB on my android device. This is not a problem with my device !
The controller should be a controller, not a power bank ! if i wanted a powerbank i would have bought a powerbank, not a drone !
2018-2-8
Use props
fans398e584d
New
Flight distance : 645272 ft
Italy

hal9001 Posted at 2018-2-8 01:19
there is no option to disable charging via USB on my android device. This is not a problem with my device !
The controller should be a controller, not a power bank ! if i wanted a powerbank i would have bought a powerbank, not a drone !

Same issue for me with my S8+ , the controller charge the phone ...     how can I solve ?
othervise I think I need to send back the platiunm combo :/
2018-5-24
Use props
skan
lvl.2

Spain

x1m0x Posted at 2017-5-30 04:20

I've tried it on my (rooted) phone and it doesn't make any difference.
This problem is serious.

Would OTG cables be better option?

Maybe the solution is to remove one of the pins on the cable.
2018-6-27
Use props
skan
lvl.2

Spain

MavicMule Posted at 2017-5-30 08:53
Try using the bottom USB only, and disconnect side cable.  This solved my charging issue, on IOS system, for both my iPhone 6 & iPad Pro.  After 20 min of flight, controller depletes to 88%, and iPad is still at 92%, so I could technically run 3x and still have above 50% battery.

Same problem on both usb no matter.
2018-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules