PIECE OF MIND FLYING BLIND with a P2V+ v3.0 and the latest v3.12 - A REAL TEST
12Next >
6468 68 2015-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Flying Blind with a Phantom P2V+ v3.0 and NEW v3.12 Firmware –A REAL TEST!!
Now that I have your attention.
I am Flying in NAZA-M with IOC enabled.

My Phantom (BB) is a Phantom 2 Vision+ v3.0, bought December 31,2014 and its name is: BirdBrain (aka. BB).

When I got home from work tonight I thought about a number of the recent threads and posts I read on doing the 3.12 firmware upgrade, questions on would the RTH work if this or that happened, what if my phone or tablet shuts off and loses signal etc., what if my Phantom flew away and so on…and folks having had issues with the 3.12 upgrade in general not to mention the3.10 fiasco and so on.

I had done the 3.12 firmware upgrade from 3.08 firmware within a day of it having come out with no issues to speak of to this point with 12+ successful flights (flying from full to near empty battery on every flight) and no/nada/none/zero negative outcomes to this point so I thought I would put BB through a real test tonight.

Test 1 - Would BB (my Pantom) fly reliably without a Phone or tablet device connected and return to home safely (RTH) when I turned the RC off? And left it off?

After grabbing a cold one, I took BB out to the back yard to launch BB from the last spot I launched BB from yesterday and please note: I had my phone/display turned off and I did not do the compass dance! I was totally relying on the previous Compass calibration from my last day’s flight.No phone/tablet hooked up, nothing!!

I turned BB on, waited for Sat lock confirmation with all the correct light sequences and then lifted off (remember, no phone or display connected! I am flying blind by modern day accounts). I had checked my watchbefore lift-off and figured I would fly for about 8 minutes in the general area before conducting the RC shut down. After about 8 minutes flying I did it, Ijust shut the RC off with BB a few hundred feet away from me and sure as winter is long, BB appeared to raise to my RTH (160’ and just a guess because I had no phone or tablet connected) BB flew back over my lift off spot and landed within a couple of feet from where we lifted off. I totally let BB land on its own without any input from me whatsoever…I was absolutely ecstatic…Flying blind, turned off the RC and back BB came with absolutely no intervention by me during the landing. Wow! I could not believe this.

*******The answer to Test 1 was YES!

Test 2 - Would BB fly reliably without a Phone or tablet device connected and return to home (RTH) safely when I turned the RC off and then turned it on again to allow me to try to control the landing?

After grabbing a sip or two from the cold one, I took BB back out to the yard again to launch BB from the last spot I launched BB from 10 minutes before and please note: I still have my phone/display turned off and Idid not do the compass dance! I was totally relying on the previous Compass calibration from my last day’s flight.

I turned BB on, waited for Sat lock confirmation with all the correct light sequences and then lifted off again (remember, no phone or display connected! I am flying blind by modern day accounts). I had checked my watch before lift off and figured this time I would fly for about 4 minutes (still the same battery as in Test 1) and in the same general area as before. I am now conducting the RC shut down and turning the RC back on. After about 4 minutes flying I did it, I just shut the RC off with BB about two hundred feet away from me and then turned the RC on again a few seconds later and as sure as beer sucks being warm, BB appeared to raise to my RTH (160’ and just a guess because I had no phone or tablet connected) and flew back over my lift off spot and I had full control of BB’s orientation etc. during the landing and BB landed within a foot from where we lifted off…I was absolutely crazy ecstatic…Flying blind and having turned off the RC to enable RTH and then back on again and had full control during the landing…Absolutely awesome!

*******The answer to Test 2 is YES!

Test 3) What would happen to my Phantom (BB) if my phone/tablet malfunctioned/turned off during flight?

After grabbing yet another sip from the cold one, I took BB backout to the back yard again and with a fresh battery this time, I again launched from the last spot I launched BB from 5 minutes before and please note: This time I turned my iPhone on, put it in Airplane mode and enabled Wifi and selected the Phantom (BB) as my network and I did not do the compass dance again! I was totally relying on the previous Compass position from my lastday’s flight.
I turned BB on, waited for Sat lock confirmation with all the correct light sequences, 9 satellites displaying on my iPhone and then lifted off. I flew around for about 5 minutes and then I just did it again. Ilet BB hover a couple hundred feet above me and then I shut my iPhone off As in“Hard off” as in totally powered it down and BB just kept hovering above me asI did this, I then flew BB around for about 4-5 minutes, I then tried Home Lock (S2 in positon 3) from a fair distance away and BB came right back, I then put S2 back into positon 1 and then I flew BB back out quite a ways. This was aninteresting test for me at this point as my iPhone had been off for a while during flight and I then simply turned my iPhone back on, left it in Airplane mode and re established my Wifi with my Phantom (BB) wondering if everything would re connect and as sure as Shania Twain and Katy Perry are sexy (they are Vixens not Phantoms), everything on my iPhone displayed as it should, i.e. Altitude, Distance, Battery, TX Charge level etc. etc….and then I did it again, I just shut the RC off to enable return to home (RTH) and then back on again afew seconds later and sure as most of Canada is North of the 49th, BB raised to my RTH (160’ and this time I could see it because I had my iPhone connected) and flew back over my lift off spot and I had full control of BB’s orientation etc. during the landing and BB landed back to where we lifted off from,…Wow, I could not be happier.

*******The answer to Test 3 is Nothing other than you will not have a display and you should bring your Phantom back immediately by whatever is the safest alternative for those around you first and you second at that time! If you are not in NAZA-M, my recommendation is that if you have lost sight or control of your Phantom visually or cannot see the Phantom on your display and are uncomfortable trying to fly it blind then it would be best to shut off your RC and let the Phantom come back home and let it land where it should, you could turn your RC back on during the Phantoms descent and orient/navigate it on the way down. Otherwise, if in NAZA-M you could do the same as previously mentioned above, otherwise, if comfortable, put S2 in position 3 and bring the Phantom back overhead in the Home Lock position and land it as soon as possible. Either way, as the Phantom is landing you now have the ability with the RC in the on state to control the orientation/speed ofdescent during the landing.

At one point during may last flight I had 34.2 mph showing on my display and wish I had another set of hands to capture that but BB was going like a freaking rocket…On that note, I did do a distance test tonight as well. As you can see from the attached photo I was quite a ways out when I lost signal (a long, long way out like 2,1415'), I thought about pushing BB further out but I would rather have BB come back than have BB become a distant memory…All I did when BB was out of range on the phone display was put S2 in position 3 (HomeLock for me) and pulled back on the stick until my display showed BB back in range, I then put S2 back into position 1 and brough BB back via normal means…..WOW…What a thing of beauty….I love this stuff.

Please remember to RTFM and visit the DJI download page forthe latest updates at: www.dji.com/support and navigate to your appropriate model for the latest release notes, manuals and software/firmware updates….I have added a pict below with the firmware versions i have been running without any problems.

Happy Flying and good success with your updates/upgrades.

P.S. I conducted a few more tests but I am tired at the moment and am still compiling data, that said, I am confident in the new software/firmware. You need to read the manual, understand the procedures forupgrading and  more importantly, you need to understand these Phantoms are not a toy, they are a joy and you should treat them as such, after all, you paid good money for them.

For the record, i have not done or had to do any IMU calibrations from new, i do however make a point to check all IMU and other values each time i perform any Software or Firmware upgrades to ensure the Phantom (BB) is within specifications.

DJI, You could do a much better job at including a “how topage” with a few easy to follow click here icons to direct users to for assistance. As well, your 3.6 and 3.8 software with the included 3.08, 3.10 and then 3.12 firmware upgrades have caused a ton of confusion with your naming conventions…
DJI, and curious onlookers, I hope you are listening and will be reading!

P.S.S
If I am incorrect with respect to any procedures described above, I apologize and will correct upon being duly notified. Thank You.

P.S.S.S - DETAILED DESCRIPTION ON HOW I UPGRADED TO 3.12 WHICH HAS BEEN FLAWLESS FOR ME

There has to be some subtle difference as to how some did their upgrades vs. how others did it..I am pretty picky when it comes to deleting and reinstalling software but it seems to work for me.
Procedure for me was:
Turn on computer I use for my updates (a 7 year old laptop/PC that just barely runs Windows 7 and does nothing but iTunes and the Phantom Softwares and not a single other program or app or anti virus software is on it).
Completely Uninstall old 3.6 software from the computer using the windows uninstaller and delete shortcuts from the desktop.
Restart computer/Flush the Toilet (basically make sure everything I had deleted went where it was supposed to go and no left over cache or crap info was floating around and to make sure no system files were accidentally deleted and no errors on the restart).
Download new software .exe file
Install new software
Restart computer/Flush the Toilet (basically make sure everything I installed went where it was supposed to go and no left over cache or crap info info was floating around and that I had no errors on the restart).
Plug Phantom into computer
Turn on RC and TX
Turn on Phantom and let it warm up
NOTE: I always turn on the RC then TX and then the Phantom in the same order after I plug into the computer as if I were going to fly it.
Launch 3.8 Phantom Vision Assistant software
Update Software and verify updates were installed.
Check all settings on Phantom (IMU etc. and made sure none of my NAZA-M or anything defaulted back to Phantom, IOC was still on and so on),
Check RC Calibration
Close the program
Turn off Phantom then Tx Then RC
unplug Phantom from computer
Plug in RC, then turn on RC then TX then Phantom.
Launch RC Vision Assistant
Check for updates, apply updates if any updates present,
Recheck RC calibration and settings
Close RC Assistant
Turn off Phantom then TX then RC
Unplug RC from computer
Turn off computer.
Go outside
Go through Preflight
Turn on RC then TX then Phantom and do the compass dance once SATS acquired.
fly the Phantom with a few basic maneuvers to make sure everything is o.k....have been flying it like I stole it...

Clear content

Way Out There

Way Out There

Current Firmware

Current Firmware
2015-3-10
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
France

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write that report.
2015-3-10
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

Thank you

It will be good reading tonight.

Regards

Guy
2015-3-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Awesome report North,  this should remove the skeptics about the upgrade.
2015-3-10
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Thanks john,
Happy to contribute and i hope someone gets something useful out of it,
It was fun to do for sure and I never thought i would launch my Phantom without a display hooked up once, let alone twice and turn off the RC as many times as i did. It came back every time and i could not believe how accurate it was on the RTH..awesome!
I will say, once airborne without the display, i never took my eyes off it and i think it really helps build the confidence for sure, something i may try a bit more of with no one around. Flying blind that is..
2015-3-10
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-11 15:52
Awesome report North,  this should remove the skeptics about the upgrade.

Thanks Gerry,
I cannot tell you how exhillerating it was to just launch BB without knowing the outcome though believing more that i had done everything right and read and followed directions and all would be good and as i suspected, and it was. Not a glitch at all..BB flew like new money!
Always appreciate your feedback,
Regards,
2015-3-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Thanks for your hard work. It would be highly appreciated.
I agree with the "how-to page" and we'll work on it.
I also like your idea to make a detailed report to explain the new features of a new firmware, you help us a lot.
I do not have a Phantom near me so regrettably I could not do the test work, tomorrow I'll go out to test the low battery RTH.
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Guy Posted at 2015-3-11 15:51
Thank you

It will be good reading tonight.

you are welcome, hope you have some renewed confidence and enjoy your Phantom..

Regards,
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-11 16:07
Thanks Gerry,
I cannot tell you how exhillerating it was to just launch BB without knowing the out ...

Now we know exactly where you are.  
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-11 16:07
Thanks for your hard work. It would be highly appreciated.
I agree with the "how-to page" and we'll  ...

Autumn,
Thank you,
Regarding the low battery RTH, i reset my phone the other day after i initially encountered the problem and it does seem to now be giving the appropriate return to home in 10 seconds message or cancel option, i forgot to metntion this but this is something you should test again to be sure of, again, a suggestion to reboot your phone or something in the simple one page instruction might be a good idea if you find this to be a fact.
Regards,
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-11 16:16
Now we know exactly where you are.

i figured you would figure that out
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-11 16:21
i figured you would figure that out

My flytrex will be here Saturday so this weekend I'm scheduled for surgery on Heathcliff.  He's getting tagged.  
I'll have all the telemetry Sunday.
update
Just checked and the flytrex has been processed through Rochester NY at midnight last night so I might get today.  
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

SWEET!
Not sure i want that given it might have tagged to where i had flown to the other night
Let me know how it works when you get it, i would still be interested and likely want to get one if it works and tracks real well.
i have to get some shut eye, crazy day tomorrow
2015-3-11
Use props
Steven
lvl.1

Italy

Are you using FPV Booster? Thanks for report
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Steven Posted at 2015-3-11 18:45

I know North, he's all stock equipment.
2015-3-11
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-11 16:29
My flytrex will be here Saturday so this weekend I'm scheduled for surgery on Heathcliff.  He's ge ...

I thought only crim's got tagged!!

Regards

Guy
2015-3-11
Use props
Steven
lvl.1

Italy

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-11 18:46
I know North, he's all stock equipment.

700mt and not in the desert is a very good distance...cool

Me, reading all these threads that spoke about falling phantom from the sky for bad wires and solders, am afraid of going more than 100 mt distance and 30mt high
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-11 18:52
I thought only crim's got tagged!!

Regards

He's been raising h*** around here wanting to get out.  
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Steven Posted at 2015-3-11 18:54

Me, reading all these threads that spo ...

I've gone 2200 feet distance with stock equipment before I lost connection and it RTH.  I compared it with google maps.
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Steven

Here is google map of the run to compare the video to.
2200 foot range.jpg
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Steven Posted at 2015-3-11 18:45

No booster, all stock
2015-3-11
Use props
Steven
lvl.1

Italy

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-11 18:59
Steven

https://vimeo.com/121832039

Great flight, how much was your height?
2015-3-11
Use props
Steven
lvl.1

Italy

730mt without boost is a lot
2015-3-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Steven Posted at 2015-3-11 22:25
Great flight, how much was your height?

I think it was about 300 feet high when I lost connection and it turned around.  I think the movie screen was blocking my signal to it.  As you can see after I turned around, I raised the camera, you could just see the building at the top of the screen.  2200 feet so far and I haven't tested in an open field,  that comes this spring after the snow is gone.
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Steven Posted at 2015-3-11 18:54

Me, reading all these threads that spo ...

Steven,
Pre maintenance is key with these Phantoms, confirming your software and firmware are up to date and installed properly, confirming all of your calibrations are within tolerance etc. are all things you can easily do and following a good preflight routine will minimize most if not all issues. Last and far from least is knowing how to fly your Phantom, watch the videos available on line, lots of good tutorials.
I cannot guarantee you Phantom will not flyaway or fall out of the Sky but I can guarantee you the majority of folks flying them are not having those problems, sure there are legit situations and 3.10 did cause some real issues though I will bet many of the situations are self imposed by a pre crash, not having a clue about how to check the IMU or understanding what it is and how critical it is for the Phantoms ability to fly reliably and having no clue what the switches on the RC actually do or what to do in the event of a lost signal occurance, they panic and then shit happens etc...Imagine if you were to run your car hard enough into a wall where you bang up the body etc. get it repaired though ironically start to have an intermittent electrical problem all of a sudden that it would be totally unrlelated, i doubt it would be unrelated but how do you prove it,maybe you can, maybe you can't...
If anyone crashes their Phantom hard enough, visible damage or not be suspecting you could encounter a problem, do some self maintenance, check it out or get it checked out and make sure all your settings are good to the best of yor ability with the software supplied.
i can guarantee if you don't fly it out past 100m you will never know how much fun you could really be having and for the record, the 2415 distance i flew it out last night was the same direction i flew it out on the weekend and had lost connection at about 1300', what i do know is that my altitued on the weekend was about 160'.. I will be doing more testing on that later.
happy flying and go have fun with your Phantom!
2015-3-11
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay Ive had 7 beers and about ready to go out and fly My phamtom fc40 and p2v+ version 3 with the defective esc/wires. After reading the results of your tests I'm going to plan a ground station flight outside my Los to the max 1600 feet limit knowing the video connection will break and see if it makes it back home. Im then going to fly my phantom fc40 outside my Line of sight until the transmittor connection breaks and a return to home is automatically initiated. I hope my phantomS make it back home. I'll be back to post the results.
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-12 02:28
Okay Ive had 7 beers and about ready to go out and fly My phamtom fc40 and p2v+ version 3 with the d ...

Wow!
It only took me one beer, please let us know how it goes!
If everything is calibrated and operating the way it should you should have no problems getting your fandom's to come back
2015-3-11
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Unfortunately I'm on firmware version 3.6. The next door neighbor kids are out playing in the yard so I'm going to wait awhile and see if they leave. I Don't need any distractions. Gonna eat and sober up a bit and then go fly  hopefully in about 30 mins.
2015-3-11
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-12 02:57
Unfortunately I'm on firmware version 3.6. The next door neighbor kids are out playing in the yard s ...

rdc,
Any updates on your trials after you hopefully sobered up?..No drinking and droning btw, throwing a blender is one thing (and certainly not a good idea on any day) but throwing a blender that you don't know where it is going is never good.
2015-3-11
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I passed out on the sofa and when I woke up it was dark so I decided to try it on another day. The weather is suppose to be nice this weekend so I'll try it then. Every time I have crashed my drone I had been drinking and flying at night. Ive learned my lesson and wont be flying drunk at night.
2015-3-12
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

And a mere 2,709' tonight...what a flight...Interesting is that i can go a lot farther to the East than to the West, i know there are more structures to the West that may be impeding my distance, that said, i cannot consistently fly the same distances to the East either and definitely the furthest i have flown so far is under cloud cover..hmmm...hmmm..., either way, it was pretty far on Stock hardware for a P2V+ v3.0...now recharging batteries and supposed to rain this weekend...time to rest BB....
2709 ft..PNG
2015-3-13
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Great flight! I'm only getting about 1200' on a good day and I'm at the top of a hill with nothing but farmland ahead of me. I do need to figure out how to get better range.
2015-3-13
Use props
faulkan
New

United States

I just noticed that Northofthe49th's batteries are at version 2.0.0.0.  Mine are only at 1.0.0.8.  I updated my Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 to 3.12 yesterday and did not seem to have an available update for the batteries. Could that be because I have the v3 and my batteries are a newer  version?  As a side note, 3.12 worked perfectly for me in both Phantom mode and Naza-M modes.
2015-3-16
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-3-14 12:06
Great flight! I'm only getting about 1200' on a good day and I'm at the top of a hill with nothing b ...

Is your Antenna pointed directly at the Phantom or about 60 degrees to the side?   The strongest signal comes from the side of the antenna and not from the end.
2015-3-16
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-17 00:32
Is your Antenna pointed directly at the Phantom or about 60 degrees to the side?   The strongest s ...

I will also add that a clear cool night or cloud cover during the latter part of the day have given me the furthest ditances, in fact the 2,709' was last Friday with light cloud cover late in the day...more to test for sure...same direction on Saturday was something like 1,800' before I lost signal..
2015-3-16
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-17 00:32
Is your Antenna pointed directly at the Phantom or about 60 degrees to the side?   The strongest s ...

Gerry,

Yeah, I tried that, helped but didn't change things much. Flew about 20 times over the past two days. I think it may be all my wi-fi around here. Because I'm in the boonies I've got wireless internet via antenna. Then I've got outdoor site-to-site repeaters all over the place to get access to all of my buildings. Just too much interference I think. Thanks for the info.

Jerry
2015-3-16
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-3-17 11:48
Gerry,

Yeah, I tried that, helped but didn't change things much. Flew about 20 times over the pas ...

Did you put your phone in airplane mode?
2015-3-16
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-17 13:55
Did you put your phone in airplane mode?

Sure did. I check it every time before I fly.

Jerry
2015-3-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

1200 feet is about 400 meters or so. when you turn on your transmitter, how many beeps do you hear,  1 or 2?
2015-3-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-17 19:31
1200 feet is about 400 meters or so. when you turn on your transmitter, how many beeps do you hear,  ...

One beep. Everything else seems to work exactly as it should.
2015-3-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules