Spark with OcuSync
11410 17 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Droner777
lvl.2
Germany

Hi DJI guys,

one question to the DJI Support: Does the Spark use OcuSync with the DJI Goggles?
Or is a cable from the Remote to the DJI Goggles required; which will add more latency in regards to FPV flying.
And what will be the expected latency?

thanks

2017-5-31
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I would be interest to know what technology the Spark uses in general also, is it the same as the Phantom 4's or the poor connection like the Phantom 3's or is it OcuSync like the Mavic ?
2017-6-1
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

no its wifi, Goggles support is via Cable to the RC
2017-6-1
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Its wifi tech, the same as the Phantom 2 vision plus, Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 3 4k
2017-6-1
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's HD WiFi transmission - slightly more advanced than the P3S Wifi but not OcuSynch or Lightbridge hence, max range is 2KM under FCC and 500m under CE.
2017-6-3
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

By the way, it's classed as HD due to dual frequency banding: 2.4 and 5.8 gHz. I personally wouldn't fly this drone 1.2 miles away from me though... For one, the max speed without OA in P mode is <15MPH and with a battery life of <16 minutes (probably 12 in reality) you would run a serious risk of losing the drone at that range. Whilst Sport mode will boost the speed to 31MPH (in windless conditions of course) it will equally drain the battery massively too and probably reduce the flight time to <10 minutes. This is primarily a selfie drone and is not designed for high altitude, long distance videography. 500m will probably be more than enough as it is also the furthest distance to fly in VLOS too and thus keep the flight legal under most drone codes.
2017-6-3
Use props
Droner777
lvl.2
Germany

I sold my Spark with the remote controller, because I had very limited wifi range; despite of using OTG cable; switching bluetooth and wifi off.  Hoping that the DJI Spark 2 or the next copter (race model?) will have ocusync on board. I have a mavic and the DJI goggles -> perfect range, no stocking videos etc. -> awesome Best transmission system ever
This wifi connection is so unreliable for me, so I decided to sell my Spark, hopefully DJI will hear on the cutomers....
2017-7-10
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Droner777 Posted at 2017-7-10 02:57
I sold my Spark with the remote controller, because I had very limited wifi range; despite of using OTG cable; switching bluetooth and wifi off.  Hoping that the DJI Spark 2 or the next copter (race model?) will have ocusync on board. I have a mavic and the DJI goggles -> perfect range, no stocking videos etc. -> awesome  Best transmission system ever
This wifi connection is so unreliable for me, so I decided to sell my Spark, hopefully DJI will hear on the cutomers....

Sorry to hear that you had to sell your Spark, unfortunately you and MANY other are/were having the same issues.  At least you have the Mavic which is a far superior device.
2017-7-10
Use props
fans88bebfcd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6762 ft
Poland

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-10 03:04
Sorry to hear that you had to sell your Spark, unfortunately you and MANY other are/were having the same issues.  At least you have the Mavic which is a far superior device.

I'll probably sell mine too.  But first I want to try it with the USB to HDMI adapter I have coming from Amazon and see how good the picture is with the goggles.  It might be handy going out in the boat and not risking the Mavic or Phantom over water.  Plus the selfie features may make good video of the boat.  I'm not in to the selfie modes otherwise.  I don't like looking at my 74 year old face.  LOL
2017-8-5
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Hong Kong

fans88bebfcd Posted at 2017-8-5 02:34
I'll probably sell mine too.  But first I want to try it with the USB to HDMI adapter I have coming from Amazon and see how good the picture is with the goggles.  It might be handy going out in the boat and not risking the Mavic or Phantom over water.  Plus the selfie features may make good video of the boat.  I'm not in to the selfie modes otherwise.  I don't like looking at my 74 year old face.  LOL

I'd pay good money to get a Spark with Ocusync. Because right now the Spark is a useless paperweight for me. A drone that no matter what I do (2.4 GHZ. OTG cable. Wifi, bluetooth off, go to beach instead of city...) can't fly more than 100 meters properly is not a drone. It's a lie. I feel cheated.
2017-8-6
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ulfw Posted at 2017-8-6 00:06
I'd pay good money to get a Spark with Ocusync. Because right now the Spark is a useless paperweight for me. A drone that no matter what I do (2.4 GHZ. OTG cable. Wifi, bluetooth off, go to beach instead of city...) can't fly more than 100 meters properly is not a drone. It's a lie. I feel cheated.

i feel bad for everyone only able to get 100-500M of distance..  im getting huge distances on my spark..

sidenote: looking at the spark's wifi, it does appear to be capable of occusync like technologies like 10Mhz bandwidth, custom channels, seamless switching/hopping, dual channels, dual bands... yea would require OTG, which DJi doesn't offcial support with the Spark, yet..   so here is to hoping Dji unlocks all of it for OTG users..because it seems to be very similar to occusync capabilities, just being handled like wifi right now... and occusync is essentially modified wifi, its 2,4Ghz, and when it crosses into wifi channels its limited to 10Mhz to reduce interferance and increase reliability..
2017-8-6
Use props
fansc17c3455
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-6-1 11:54
no its wifi, Goggles support is via Cable to the RC

Also, FYI, when you use the mini USB to mini USB cable with the adapter dongle, the adapter must be on the RC side, not the goggle side. Don't ask me why, but the goggles will only recognize the Spark in this configuration. There is limited control without occusynch, but you are able to see the image from the camera. So far I have been unable to record in my testing, but I'm in he first stages of figuring this out.
2017-8-6
Use props
Inspired UAV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 337100 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just Read on a Facebook forum that Litchi have seen the next DJI SDK and the OTG cable will NOT be supported in the next firmware version
2017-8-6
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

Start first fly with 90% battery
5.8ghz OTG

5.8Ghz OTG

5.8Ghz OTG

start second fly with 59% battery and land in "H" with 21%

2.4ghz OTG

2.4ghz OTG
2017-8-6
Use props
AcesHigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774872 ft
Austria

Lian82 Posted at 2017-8-6 10:31
Start first fly with 90% battery
5.8ghz OTG[view_image]
start second fly with 59% battery and land in "H" with 21%

900 meters?
that is great

have you lost the video signal once or several times during that flight?
2017-8-10
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

AcesHigh Posted at 2017-8-10 08:38
900 meters?
that is great

no loss signal
2017-8-10
Use props
sellis423
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36407 ft
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-6-3 08:45
By the way, it's classed as HD due to dual frequency banding: 2.4 and 5.8 gHz. I personally wouldn't fly this drone 1.2 miles away from me though... For one, the max speed without OA in P mode is

The Spark is actually pretty good at 400'. I do a lot of high altitude flight (between 300-400') and it works great between those levels. Controls are still very responsive. Although, the farthest I've flown before the screen "flickers" is about 1200-1400'. Still within VLOS of course.
2019-10-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sellis423 Posted at 10-31 17:21
The Spark is actually pretty good at 400'. I do a lot of high altitude flight (between 300-400') and it works great between those levels. Controls are still very responsive. Although, the farthest I've flown before the screen "flickers" is about 1200-1400'. Still within VLOS of course.

Yeah, ascent/decent speeds are ok on the Spark - often flew mine at 300-400' AGL - just not too far vertically.
2019-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules