Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new Mavic Fly Away - Disconnect & return to home failure.
123Next >
8927 83 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8cbf17ce
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8935482 ft
United States

The home point and drone location was verified before take-off. I waited several seconds after take-off to 20' or so for precision RTF. Firmware was updated to 4.1.0. The drone was calibrated. I have been flying this drone for only a few days but I have flown other drones over time. The screenshot of my flight data, indicated that there was plenty of battery power left (44% and 11 minutes into the flight) and the Mavic was only a half mile from home. I was 200' above the railroad tracks when I lost signal and tried sending the return to home signal as well as trying to elevate the drone for better reconnection results. I tried reloading the DJI Go 4 app. I tried to return home with both the app and the remote control. I immediately jumped into the car and was at the location on the map within minutes but the controller still did not connect to the drone. I can only think that that location on the map was the last location I was in contact with it and it flew away somewhere. I do not know why both the automatic return to home feature and my manual attempts did not work. I also do not know why I could not reconnect with it when it had 44% battery left and was only 11 minutes into the flight. Can someone from DJI check my flight records? I could not locate this flight in my flight records, only all the previous flights.

2017-6-1
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

perhaps someone shot it out of the air...
2017-6-1
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Did you tried using the Find My Drone option on the APP? Try to upload you flight logs, there is a bunch of guys here who could throw some light into this.

Sorry for your lost.
2017-6-1
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Sorry about your drone loss.  It looks like you did all the right things. Curious that you could not locate these flight records.  They would surely be interesting to see. Have you tried to pull up Find My Drone to see if it can pull up the last flight?

A few possible causes come to mind:

1. Signal loss could have been on the drone side - meaning that it didn't receive the RTH signal.  Perhaps some RF interference in the drone's vicinity.  Normally I think this would cause the drone to stop and hover in place.  If that were the case, I would think you should have been able to reconnect when you drove to the last known spot.

2.  Catastrophic battery failure has been postulated in the forum  for sudden motor failures.  If that had happened, you might find a dead bird on the ground near the last known location.  If  you haven't already, get some friends and do a really thorough ground search.  Also look up, of course.

3. Nees's suggestion :-(

Good luck and keep us apprised of the situation.

2017-6-1
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

You need to sync your flight records for DJI to be able to read them, if you cant do that then DJI will not be able to help you.
Your only hope is to recover the Mavic and send it back to DJI so they can review the internal flight logs.
Sorry, but with no logs and no Mavic you are out of luck...
2017-6-1
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Brand new Mavic and over a half mile from home?  I still have never exceeded 1200 feet because I can't see it much farther than that.

Sorry for your loss.  Grab a few friends and scour the area.
2017-6-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can upload your flight from your app to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ just go to link and follow instructions and come back here and post link.
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

So sorry to hear that,  could you please sync your flight records then send an e-mail with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support.us@dji.com, we’ll create a case for you and check your flight records.
2017-6-1
Use props
IceCold
lvl.1
United States

#1. Seems Like the Incidents of FLYAWAY have Gone Up Signficantly after the Newest Firmware.
2017-6-2
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

IceCold Posted at 2017-6-2 05:57
#1. Seems Like the Incidents of FLYAWAY have Gone Up Signficantly after the Newest Firmware.

Actually - not. A few sudden power losses did occur (reserved to hardware produced in March) and there were some other situations as well. However I haven't seen any actual flyaways here yet (including this one - it's not one until we can verify the logs at least).
2017-6-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Can I ask where you're getting you information from?
2017-6-2
Use props
fans8cbf17ce
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-6-1 23:10
So sorry to hear that,  could you please sync your flight records then send an e-mail with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support.us@dji.com, we’ll create a case for you and check your flight records.

Thanks, and done. I am now waiting for a reply.

2017-6-2
Use props
fans8cbf17ce
lvl.1
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-6-1 06:47
Sorry about your drone loss.  It looks like you did all the right things. Curious that you could not locate these flight records.  They would surely be interesting to see. Have you tried to pull up Find My Drone to see if it can pull up the last flight?

When I exported the flight records, it deleted the txt file but it is now in a csv format and was located in a new sub-folder titled exportflightrecords. I am trying to get that file uploaded now but I had to ask for assistance.
2017-6-2
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I know, RIP Mavic, I have lost a Mavic, because It acted weird and went straight into a mountain. Good luck with DJI Service. Hope you find it.
2017-6-2
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

#2.  Seems like a lot more people are randomly posting things on this forum without any supporting information, As Well As Capitalizing Every Word of Their Postings For Some Reason, since the newest firmware.

It's just something I've noticed.  
2017-6-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans8cbf17ce Posted at 2017-6-2 07:15
When I exported the flight records, it deleted the txt file but it is now in a csv format and was located in a new sub-folder titled exportflightrecords. I am trying to get that file uploaded now but I had to ask for assistance.

Unless you deleted the Go app from your mobile device or didn't use it in the first place it's extremely likely that the log from your flight is still there. There's not much anyone on here will be able to do for you without the TXT file from the flight, so please review the instructions on PhantomHelp again, upload the flight log, and provide a link to it if you'd like us to suggest where you should look to find your missing Mavic.
2017-6-2
Use props
fans8cbf17ce
lvl.1
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-6-2 06:38
Actually - not. A few sudden power losses did occur (reserved to hardware produced in March) and there were some other situations as well. However I haven't seen any actual flyaways here yet (including this one - it's not one until we can verify the logs at least).

Can you elaborate a little more on these "sudden power losses" please?
2017-6-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans8cbf17ce Posted at 2017-6-2 10:51
Can you elaborate a little more on these "sudden power losses" please?

There have been a few with sudden loss of power midflight just dropped out of the sky, dji replaced some of these aircraft.
It would be easier to help you if you uploaded your flight log from your app to phantom help.
2017-6-2
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i dont understand isn't it supposed to automatically RTH upon a disconnect? my phantom always did
2017-6-3
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

I wish people would state what mobile device they were using.  Android or iOS?  What OS version?
2017-6-3
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you have wifi when your drone flew away.  You might need a wifi for the "find my drone" to work.  
2017-6-3
Use props
Kiwi II
lvl.1
United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-6-3 14:31
i dont understand isn't it supposed to automatically RTH upon a disconnect? my phantom always did

That's my point here. My Mavic failed me. The RTF functions have worked on prior flights but neither the auto RTF, nor my manual efforts worked.
2017-6-3
Use props
Kiwi II
lvl.1
United States

anthonyb Posted at 2017-6-3 15:06
I wish people would state what mobile device they were using.  Android or iOS?  What OS version?

I am right here. You could have simply asked me instead of speaking third person here. I was using my iPhone 6s. Sorry!
2017-6-3
Use props
anthonyb
First Officer
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Kiwi II Posted at 2017-6-3 17:18
I am right here. You could have simply asked me instead of speaking third person here. I was using my iPhone 6s. Sorry!

Actually you were not the only one who wasn't specific.
2017-6-3
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Kiwi II Posted at 2017-6-3 17:15
That's my point here. My Mavic failed me. The RTF functions have worked on prior flights but neither the auto RTF, nor my manual efforts worked.

i know, but i don't understand why it's not doing what it's supposed to theres a major flaw going on here that needs to be fixed. i simply dont have the same confidence with the mavic as i did with my phantom. and because of that i hardly fly it. i just dont want to lose another 1000 again cause i already had 2 phantoms fly away. this will be my last drone i think. especially when there's hardly anymore legal places to fly it.
2017-6-3
Use props
DroningOn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 297352 ft
Australia

Was the drone in an auto fly mode?? Are the iisues people seem to have with "flyaway" drones occuring when the drone is a long way from the pilot and they are relying on auto fly modes to A: see where your going and B: have some idea where the drone is??  LOS maybe something worth looking into??
2017-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroningOn Posted at 2017-6-3 20:50
Was the drone in an auto fly mode?? Are the iisues people seem to have with "flyaway" drones occuring when the drone is a long way from the pilot and they are relying on auto fly modes to A: see where your going and B: have some idea where the drone is??  LOS maybe something worth looking into??

VLOS is very important especially when something goes wrong and many things can go wrong but thankfully not to often.
Flying in the right environment is very important if you are flying in urban areas without VLOS can be a recipe for disaster it also puts civilians and property at risk, there are some who take this risk without thought for what might happen, and when it goes wrong they are quick to point to malfunction of aircraft and blame the technology or manufacture.
It's a big world out there and there are much safer places to fly if you want to test the capabilities of your aircraft, and urban areas are not the safest places to try this.

None of what I've written is pointed at the op , so think environment before you decide to go flying by the seat of your pants.
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

boostedford Posted at 2017-6-3 20:30
i know, but i don't understand why it's not doing what it's supposed to theres a major flaw going on here that needs to be fixed. i simply dont have the same confidence with the mavic as i did with my phantom. and because of that i hardly fly it. i just dont want to lose another 1000 again cause i already had 2 phantoms fly away. this will be my last drone i think. especially when there's hardly anymore legal places to fly it.

I don't think there is a major problem with technology in the Mavic , many of the problems are caused by flying in unsuitable environments where signal can be difficult, where aircraft are flown out of sight and when things go wrong pilot is very limited as to what he/she can do.

Much of this is no brainer stuff and a lot is down to bad decisions by so called Pilots , I am convinced that these aircraft are very safe in the right hands and responsible pilots.

If you are flying without VLOS and something goes wrong it's the pilot who is initially at fault , and he ways to much importance on aircraft technology to get him out of a hole.
2017-6-4
Use props
sagecelt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15961 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-4 03:05
I don't think there is a major problem with technology in the Mavic , many of the problems are caused by flying in unsuitable environments where signal can be difficult, where aircraft are flown out of sight and when things go wrong pilot is very limited as to what he/she can do.

Much of this is no brainer stuff and a lot is down to bad decisions by so called Pilots , I am convinced that these aircraft are very safe in the right hands and responsible pilots.

VLOS? please
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Not to sure what your comment is, but if you want to know what VLOS is its vision line of sight.
2017-6-4
Use props
sagecelt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15961 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-4 03:29
Not to sure what your comment is, but if you want to know what VLOS is its vision line of sight.

Thank you; exactly what I wanted to know.  Sorry if my brevity was in any way confusing.
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sagecelt Posted at 2017-6-4 03:42
Thank you; exactly what I wanted to know.  Sorry if my brevity was in any way confusing.

No your good, just being a paranoid, nothing wrong with short questions getting to the point.
2017-6-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Kiwi II Posted at 2017-6-3 17:15

That's my point here. My Mavic failed me.

It's possible that you're correct, but we see a lot of threads started by people who claim their crash was caused by a malfunction and upon further investigation it turns out to have been pilot error. I can't help but notice that you've not posted the log from your flight despite several requests to do so, and without more evidence to support your claim that the Mavic "failed" it's not clear to the rest of us what really happened.
2017-6-4
Use props
jimmybbq
lvl.1
United States

I'm thinking I'm going to get a cheaper drone for flying outside of VLOS. I do it a lot with my mavic and Litchi, never once had a problem. It makes me nervous as crap, but she always turns up where I've programmed her to. I live in a very rural part of Illinois. Yesterday was a mission of 4 miles down a river with nothing but woods 2 miles to either side. If it had went down, I woulda never found it and $1000 would hurt.  I love flying missions to and over places I can't get to and have never seen before in my small home town and double/triple check my waypoints and altitude, then just monitor the preview in the off-chance the mavic strays. Maybe I'll look for a cheap Phantom 3 or something and keep the mavic in VLOS.
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jimmybbq Posted at 2017-6-4 05:40
I'm thinking I'm going to get a cheaper drone for flying outside of VLOS. I do it a lot with my mavic and Litchi, never once had a problem. It makes me nervous as crap, but she always turns up where I've programmed her to. I live in a very rural part of Illinois. Yesterday was a mission of 4 miles down a river with nothing but woods 2 miles to either side. If it had went down, I woulda never found it and $1000 would hurt.  I love flying missions to and over places I can't get to and have never seen before in my small home town and double/triple check my waypoints and altitude, then just monitor the preview in the off-chance the mavic strays. Maybe I'll look for a cheap Phantom 3 or something and keep the mavic in VLOS.

I think flying out of VLOS is up to pilot he takes on the risk. Flying in rural areas away from property and people reduces the risk triple checking your settings also reduces risk, things like pre checking the area for signal coverage for small airfields etc and maybe to put tracker on your aircraft might help.

Flying safe is all about assessment of the risks and doing everything possible to reduce those risks.
2017-6-4
Use props
jimmybbq
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-4 05:49
I think flying out of VLOS is up to pilot he takes on the risk. Flying in rural areas away from property and people reduces the risk triple checking your settings also reduces risk, things like pre checking the area for signal coverage for small airfields etc and maybe to put tracker on your aircraft might help.

Flying safe is all about assessment of the risks and doing everything possible to reduce those risks.

Agree totally.. I guess being a quality control manager for 15 years has taught me to look at all of the failure modes. Identify the failure modes, fix them, if you can't fix them, check them... often.

I don't know how many times I've been going through my waypoints and one of the altitudes were set way too low.. I always recheck the altitudes on waypoints when I make them, then run through each waypoint checking altitude and gimbal position, then once again for altitude..  maybe I'm anal, but I'll be damned if I lose my aircraft for something silly as flying at 98' through a forest (which I almost did, a few times lol)
2017-6-4
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss.  The dji go 4 app and phone/tablet do not connect to the drone.  The RC does.  The app is an interface that let's you do things beyond what the controller can do.  When the app disconnects, the RC is still connected (unless you see on the RC that it has no signal and is trying to connect) and may continue to follow the intelligent flight mode (for sure does that in POI and track mode).  First time I tried RTH, I did not press and Hold the button long enough to trigger it.  Reread manual that says "Press and Hold" you will get vibration and beeps to let you know, plus controller will say "Going Home".  I did try to fly a short distance once, near a rural road with power line transformers on the poles, I got to close, video went wonky with smears and portions missing and then loss of stick input.  As the manual said 3 secs later RTH triggered (10 sec in wifi mode) and it returned.  I think FAA registration is not required anymore, but their rules of VLOS should be observed - especiaily if your drone hurts someone or their property, being sued might be the least of your concerns.  Android phone S7, Tablet Galaxy S2; firmware .07, Go4 v. 4.07.1
2017-6-4
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Why do people press the RTH button when you have a disconnect of the RC?  That is not going to do any good as you already don't have a connection to process that request.

Has anyone ever had a disconnect of the RC where the Mavic has actually returned home as expected?  I don't think I recall ever reading a case of lost RC connection and the Mavic just showing up on its own.
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-4 08:11
Why do people press the RTH button when you have a disconnect of the RC?  That is not going to do any good as you already don't have a connection to process that request.

Has anyone ever had a disconnect of the RC where the Mavic has actually returned home as expected?  I don't think I recall ever reading a case of lost RC connection and the Mavic just showing up on its own.

Think the op may have had only data loss but not RC so in this case RTH can still work.
2017-6-4
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-4 08:26
Think the op may have had only data loss but not RC so in this case RTH can still work.

Yeah, I might have missed that.  I'd probably still fly it home manually.  Easy to figure out which direction to go by watching the distance counter count down or increase.
2017-6-4
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules