Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
re: Mavic intermittent out of focus
1077 8 2017-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes, seems out of the blue, I get an entire take out of focus.

It seems the system does not focus on the fly is some cases when set on 'auto-focus'.

Does any one else experience this?

Also, it's impossible to tell by looking at the smartphone/ipad whether its in or out of focus.

2017-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You might be inadvertently tapping on the screen, causing focus to be shifted away from your primary target, and yes, it can be hard to tell on tiny smartphone screens, so I turn on Focus Peaking for a reality check.  
2017-6-1
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-1 13:17
You might be inadvertently tapping on the screen, causing focus to be shifted away from your primary target, and yes, it can be hard to tell on tiny smartphone screens, so I turn on Focus Peaking for a reality check.

What is "Focus Peaking"?  What does it do and where do you turn it on?  I've never heard of that.

2017-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-1 14:14
What is "Focus Peaking"?  What does it do and where do you turn it on?  I've never heard of that.

It's in your camera or global settings -- you have to be connected to the Mavic in order to see it. The feature adds a sort of red static outline to edges that are in-focus; you see this as an option in most pro- and enthusiast-level cameras these days. On Android it may appears as a "marching ants" style outline, at least I think that's what Android users have posted.
2017-6-1
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-1 14:48
It's in your camera or global settings -- you have to be connected to the Mavic in order to see it. The feature adds a sort of red static outline to edges that are in-focus; you see this as an option in most pro- and enthusiast-level cameras these days. On Android it may appears as a "marching ants" style outline, at least I think that's what Android users have posted.

Thanks for the info.  I'm definitely going to check it out the next time I connect to the Mavic.  It's frustrating to take videos that look great on the small phone screen but then when you upload them to your computer you find out your great shots are out of focus.
2017-6-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-1 15:45
Thanks for the info.  I'm definitely going to check it out the next time I connect to the Mavic.  It's frustrating to take videos that look great on the small phone screen but then when you upload them to your computer you find out your great shots are out of focus.

No prob.

I don't know if you've tried manual exposure yet, but it's equally frustrating when you get exposure wrong and can't tell from the tiny screen. DJI has an answer for that, too, it's called the Histogram option, a feature also seen on modern cameras. Put it in the back of your head as something else to look into if you ever want to shoot outside of autoexposure mode.

Cheers!
2017-6-1
Use props
Jimmers
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-1 15:57
No prob.

I don't know if you've tried manual exposure yet, but it's equally frustrating when you get exposure wrong and can't tell from the tiny screen. DJI has an answer for that, too, it's called the Histogram option, a feature also seen on modern cameras. Put it in the back of your head as something else to look into if you ever want to shoot outside of autoexposure mode.

Yes, exposure is a problem too.  I'm using PolarPro ND filters and while the sunny pictures look good, the pictures in the shade are too dark.  I have the over exposure meter on but I think it over compensates.
2017-6-1
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

I have noticed since the recent update that I am frequently out of focus even in auto focus. sometimes I have to land and turn mavic off and back on. A week ago I was sure It was humidity causing condensation  on the lens but I believe something else is going on. The Auto focus is not automatic and I must constantly tap screen
2017-6-1
Use props
geoffz
First Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-1 17:05
I have noticed since the recent update that I am frequently out of focus even in auto focus. sometimes I have to land and turn mavic off and back on. A week ago I was sure It was humidity causing condensation  on the lens but I believe something else is going on. The Auto focus is not automatic and I must constantly tap screen

Interesting you're having problems since the update.

I have not updated and probably will not until something earth sharking functionality comes along.

But this focus issue is a problem and I don't really see why it's happening so randomly.
2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules