Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it possible to fly in this village?
1486 8 2017-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petecarr
New

United Kingdom

Hello there. I currently don't have any drones but I have ideas for drone photography. I've been commissioned to photographically document a small village. I thought a drone could be an interesting way to do so. But in order to do so I would need a few things.

- Drone (Probably Phantom as its for stills)
- Go through one of those weekend away training programs
- CAA permission license thing. I'm sketchy on that but as its near congested zones I'd need to be fully CAA licensed up?

I'm not entirely sure how much that'll all cost but I guess a bundle of cash. The budget isn't there for my client to pay so I'd be looking at this as a step on the road to being an ace drone photographer.

So like I said, it is documenting a small village. There's lots of green space there. Using Apple Maps I think there are enough areas where I could fly a drone straight up and get some photos of the area. I assume I can't fly over roads, houses, etc and I have to stay 50m away from buildings. I think there's just enough space to do something here.

Here's a screenshot from Apple Maps. Do you think this idea is possible to do? I won't drop the cash unless I can do this the correct safe approved way.

Map

Map
2017-6-2
Use props
petecarr
New

United Kingdom

I forgot to mention its Class D airspace in the UK.
2017-6-2
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Looking at the map there are only 2 green areas where you will get the required 30m take off distance. So you could go straight up and then move around within the green bit. Assuming you can control that area and make sure no one comes in under you.

However, the argument could be that you are not allowed within 150m of a congested area. Those areas are within 150m of roads, housing, buildings etc. All depends how you choose to define congested area / substantially used..

If you are CAA reg then you'll be ok in your green box, you're allowed in congested areas with a Phantom. But you'll have to follow many more safety procedures as per your operations manual. You will need to cordon the whole park probably.

You can't take payment unless you are CAA registered.

If you know the local people you'll probably get away with it, get them on board with the idea and then no one will complain.

2017-6-3
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Is that D-class airspace under tower control or not?
Here in DE we´ll need permission to fly in that space. In UK is it may be the same,if i don´t be wrong.
2017-6-18
Use props
KrisUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73406 ft

Japan

Peterx Posted at 2017-6-18 04:41
Is that D-class airspace under tower control or not?
Here in DE we´ll need permission to fly in that space. In UK is it may be the same,if i don´t be wrong.

In America and according to the FAA regulations, you would need authority in advance from the ATC  (Air Traffic Control) because it is in a Class D air space.
2017-6-28
Use props
fivetonine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Look at airspace first. Then, in order to take the shot, you don't necessarily need to buy a drone. Just find someone who has one and rent it from them. Maybe you can even find someone from your area here in the forum!
2017-6-29
Use props
Davemc67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21457 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Pete

if it's where I think it is it will come under the approaches for Liverpool John Lennon Airport , it looks like Port Sunlight near Bromborough .

If you are being paid for the work then you will need your CAA license for commercial flying.
2017-9-2
Use props
Davemc67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21457 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry .. accidental double post
2017-9-2
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft