Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What am I doing wrong, please watch and reply (20 sec vid)
1478 9 2017-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scott242436
lvl.1
United States

I just got my Mavic and while reviewing the footage I noticed it is super bright sometimes and others it is just fine. I never had this problem with my old phantom and not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I had a ND16 filter on which I have never used before and I fly with auto settings. Is this something with the filter or is the mavic adjusting the exposure mid flight and just getting it wrong? I guess I could change the exposure manually but is so hard to tell when just looking at my iPhone during flying. Any help would be great thank you
2017-6-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

It's the auto exposure, you need manual settings really. Constant hassle to update them when you turn into or away from the sun. But if you've gone to the trouble of a filter may as well go all the way.

Use the histogram to adjust your settings as needed.

Random internet pic

2017-6-3
Use props
Scott242436
lvl.1
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-6-3 10:21
It's the auto exposure, you need manual settings really. Constant hassle to update them when you turn into or away from the sun. But if you've gone to the trouble of a filter may as well go all the way.

Use the histogram to adjust your settings as needed.

Thank you, I will try that next time
2017-6-3
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I use the manual exposure and it helps correct when the lighting changes.  I even turn on zebra stripes as it is more helpful than relying on my view through the display on my phone.  My only dislike is that the exposure wheel seems to be stepped.  So when changing the exposure value, it is obvious to the viewer that the EV is being changed.

Its also yet another thing you are trying to coordinate while maneuvering the Mavic inflight, along with the pitch of the camera, etc........
2017-6-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

NoSale Posted at 2017-6-3 12:00
I use the manual exposure and it helps correct when the lighting changes.  I even turn on zebra stripes as it is more helpful than relying on my view through the display on my phone.  My only dislike is that the exposure wheel seems to be stepped.  So when changing the exposure value, it is obvious to the viewer that the EV is being changed.

Its also yet another thing you are trying to coordinate while maneuvering the Mavic inflight, along with the pitch of the camera, etc........

I think the idea is to not change exposure mid shot, and if it does start bright and end up dark you'll be better off adjusting in editing, you can get a smoother transition in something like Premier. But still not ideal.

I'm starting to try and get into the habit now, think about how the light has changed and adjust settings before starting the next shot or run. Some shots I know just won't work when going from very dark to very bright, I try to avoid those.
2017-6-3
Use props
jdp1989
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Definitely the auto exposure doing that. Keep it in manual and what I do before I take off is hold up my drone facing whatever I aim to film, and tweak the settings on the camera until I am happy that the exposure is correct. That way it will stay the same during your flight and not drastically change.

If you're taking off late afternoon and it starts to get darker, just reduce the shutter speed a tad until your exposure is correct again.
2017-6-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-6-3 12:00

Not to mention both the exposure control and the vertical pan control are backwards!  
2017-6-3
Use props
Scott242436
lvl.1
United States

Is there anyway to just infinite focus and never have to worry about the focus again like the Phantom 3's?
2017-6-3
Use props
Bond006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

I use the histogram, it is in real time and it works for me.
2017-6-3
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Bond006 Posted at 2017-6-3 19:30
I use the histogram, it is in real time and it works for me.

Histogram is probably one of the best tools.  Like you, I use the histogram to help me with adjusting exposure.......
2017-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules