RTH Metric Only? Needs to be changeable like all others
1371 20 2017-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

I hope that DJI will fix the RTH Altitude it stays in metric no matter how I setup my defaults. I live in the USA & it would be easy to make a mistake with RTH Altitude & bounce it off the top of a tree and that would could cost me my Mavic (repair)? When flying close to things as we should be able to do in the outdoors this would be a very sad day.

I DON’T THINK THAT DJI UNDERSTANDS HOW BIG THIS IS, AS MISTAKES WILL BE MADE & WE SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED WITH THE TIME IT TAKES FOR REPAIRS & THE GETTING AN AIRCRAFT THAT HAS BEEN REFURBISHED – IT WAS NOT A MISTAKE FOR BEING BORN IN THE USA OR ANY ONE ELSE THAT WAS BROUGHT UP LEARNING IMPERIAL & NOT THE METRIC SYSTEM. IS IT REALY THAT HARD TO MAKE THIS CHANGE?

YES I UNDERSTAND THE METRIC SYSTEM BUT TO BE MAKING CALCULATION’S ON THE FLY IS NOT WHAT I LIKE TO WHILE FLYING THIS WONDERFUL MAVIC.

Sorry about the all Capps but I want to get DJI’s attention.

Can we have a moderator to help with this, get answers
2017-6-3
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Multiply by 3,its really not that difficult.
2017-6-3
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

And why is it so difficult for DJI to make it so when you chose imperial units for it to actually do so?
2017-6-3
Use props
Tekameleon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308291 ft
Canada

trance728- Posted at 2017-6-3 18:42
Multiply by 3,its really not that difficult.

this.

and -worst- case you set it too high (1m = 3ft or 100m = 300ft), unlikely to cause the tree-boucning that you are worried about. ;)
2017-6-3
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

Americans, Liberians and Myanmars  need to learn the metric system, every other country in the world does.
2017-6-3
Use props
fansbd30b82d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26906 ft
Dominican Republic

they set RTH altitude in meters because its easier to set a default altitude for example regular building in my country are 85-90m height, if i put 95m it will avoid all kind of obstacles and come back home safe, you only need to calculate it once 85m=255ft then you can fly it normally your altitude and distance will be displayed imperial , i doubt you will find a 85m height tree, if you do RUN
2017-6-3
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In Litchi you can have it Feet or Metres, so it can't be that hard - but DI must think even dumb Americans can multiply by 3 near enough.
In aviation, altitude is widey described in feet though- http://aerosavvy.com/metric-imperial/
2017-6-3
Use props
Thibor
New
United States

Yes, I am new.  I came to this forum to ask a couple questions.  One of my questions was, why does RTH altitude stick on (M) when in fact I have setup the controller to use the Imperial system.  I  see now that it is a bug or a "feature" that someone not living in the USA thought would be just fine.  Yes, of course, we can x3 but that is not the point here. I don't want to be penalized because I was born in a country that DOES NOT require me to switch from Imperial to metric.  I paid $1,500 for this aircraft and feel that I should be able to use my countries measurement system.  If the option to switch from Imperial to Metric was not listed then that is a different story, but it is listed as an option and I CAN NOT USE THAT OPTION.

Please add to the list of bugs/fixes.
Thank You
2017-6-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we care much about your feedback on our product, I’ve transferred your feedback to the R&D, will keep improving our APP and products to make your experience with us better.
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-4 01:18
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we care much about your feedback on our product, I’ve transferred your feedback to the R&D, will keep improving our APP and products to make your experience with us better.

Thanks

I just ordered the Goggles & just learned they are all Metric any idea if that will be changed so that we have a choice or are they wrong & we can change them & someone just cant find the correct place to make the change?
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

fansbd30b82d Posted at 2017-6-3 19:52
they set RTH altitude in meters because its easier to set a default altitude for example regular building in my country are 85-90m height, if i put 95m it will avoid all kind of obstacles and come back home safe, you only need to calculate it once 85m=255ft then you can fly it normally your altitude and distance will be displayed imperial , i doubt you will find a 85m height tree, if you do RUN

I have some real trees around here.

Your local coast redwood tree can grow to 300 feet or more, compared to the tallest pine tree at 268 feet or the tallest tanoak at 162 feet — yet its root system is only 6 to 12 feet deep.

I live next to the Oregon-California coastal Border
2017-6-4
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Funny fact though, the currently in use imperial system, is based on the metric. https://youtu.be/SmSJXC6_qQ8
2017-6-4
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-4 01:18

"Forced metric" is also there for maximum height and maximum distance settings.  If They are already making the one change...
2017-6-4
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I've set mine too high before when I thought 120 was feet then realized it was meters . I really can't see how anyone could mistakenly set it too low just because it is displayed in metric .
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

I want to be able to change to a number that I have been schooled for (USA)  & I paid for. I (change each time I fly depending on the circumstances) if RTH is activated & you SET a HIGH RTH & Batteries are low = crash{:4_154:}
Too much Wind and/or Batteries low = crash

Any of the above & Batteries are getting low the last thing I want to see is my Mavic going up so high that It runs out of Batteries & crashes. In most cases you don’t use RTH until you have been flying for a while & guess what your batteries are getting low.

I don’t want it to watch my Mavic go up to 300 / 400 feet every time RTH is activated for whatever reason Throw the fact that I could be flying over water & then it goes up so high & not enough batteries left to land. (Crash){:4_154:}

I should not have to guess or do the math when every other setting on the Mavic changes to the (Metric or Imperial) depending on the setting in the App. It is payed for & included, it should be an easy firmware or software fix?

I JUST THINK IT SHOULD WORK, FOR EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE NEW GOGGLES (ALL METRIC THEY DON’T FOLLOW THE SOFTWARE SETTINGS AT ALL)?

THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE AS WELL AS $ ISSUE IF IT CAUSES A CRASH.

Sorry in advance but this one pi$$e$ me off.
I should not have to learn some other way as is said in above reply's ( how about we change the RTH to Imperial only)
2017-6-4
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

I agree....if you chose imperial measurements, ALL distances on the controller/app should reflect that.  I am an intelligent person with a strong background in math but when I look at the screen and see a distance I shouldn't have to think if the number I'm looking at is in feet or meters.  All distances should be in the same format.  Having some distances shown in feet and some in meters on the same screen is just confusing.  It can cause an unfortunate ending should you mistake the reading for feet instead of meters.
2017-6-4
Use props
Thibor
New
United States

Wow .... I am sorry for that last post.  I dont know what happened but it is sure a MESS.   I can not seem to edit or del it either.  
Again I am sorry....

2017-6-4
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

When flying over water, I want altitude to read in fathoms, and when over pasture land, I want altitude read in hands. After all, how hard could it be.

It's just a number system, maybe try learning something new.

However, for continuity sake, when a number system is chosen, the change should be system wide. All imperial or all metric. Not a mix.

The firmware is ever evolving, I'm sure it will change in time.
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-4 15:15
I agree....if you chose imperial measurements, ALL distances on the controller/app should reflect that.  I am an intelligent person with a strong background in math but when I look at the screen and see a distance I shouldn't have to think if the number I'm looking at is in feet or meters.  All distances should be in the same format.  Having some distances shown in feet and some in meters on the same screen is just confusing.  It can cause an unfortunate ending should you mistake the reading for feet instead of meters.

Unfortunate ending?

like a CRASH.{:4_142:}

you do understand

Thanks for the support.
2017-6-4
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-6-4 16:43
When flying over water, I want altitude to read in fathoms, and when over pasture land, I want altitude read in hands. After all, how hard could it be.

It's just a number system, maybe try learning something new.

Thanks I have been asking along with others for months now & nothing has happened.

So am lighting a FIRE{:4_154:} under the idea that this could be the reason for some of the close calls Or outright death's of a few AC.
2017-6-4
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Jimmers Posted at 2017-6-4 15:15

Exactly, it doesn't take a genius to x3 but some people might get confused thinking everything is in feet now that they set to Imperial system.
It's just pointless, goofy and shouldn't be that difficult to remedy so whatever unit system you choose is then reflected everywhere in the app, not here and there.
Go DJI, you can do it! Thank You.
2017-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules