Mounting action cam
2076 6 2017-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DhiAn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3343 ft
United Kingdom

I know it may sound crazy but wondering what's your thoughts on mounting an action cam weighing 70 to 80 grams? Can it handle? Without hindering sensors at the bottom, of course.
Reason: Spark looks compact with impressive obstacle avoidance feature, but I need raw image access.
2017-6-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'm sure it can be done, but what type of camera, if you put it on the bottom you most likely will have to mount it on battery anywhere else you will be blocking vision sensors and barometer. For me I would just invest in a Mavic...
2017-6-4
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

It would definitely affect its aerodynamics and handling.  The extra weight would also affect performance.  I would just go with the Mavic.  You'd be much happier and the higher video/cameral options would probably be beneficial to you if you need raw footage.
2017-6-4
Use props
DhiAn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-4 08:47
I'm sure it can be done, but what type of camera, if you put it on the bottom you most likely will have to mount it on battery anywhere else you will be blocking vision sensors and barometer. For me I would just invest in a Mavic...

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking about yi action cam with 16MP and programmable to enable RAW format. Even Mavic sensor is not in par with the Sony Exmor 16MP in that cam, to my understanding. I'm completely novice with drone and all I'm looking is for a compact drone with the best sensor for photography. Not even for video.

Sample spark jpg is 3 or 4 MB compared with Mavic's 17MB DNG. hmmm...decision time. Going to look at Mavic. Thanks again.
2017-6-4
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Strapping a fisheyed gopro-esque action cam like to a quad is so 2012's.

Get a Phantom 4 Pro. 1 inch sensor with mechanical shutter and awesome dynamic range. Best bang for buck aerial platform.
You want serious biscuits, then go for Inspire 2 with the X series cams.

Closest to serious megapixels on the spark is the horizontal panorama mode. Spark will use 9 stitched images.
2017-6-5
Use props
DhiAn
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Probably my last post in spark forum. Thank you all for your inputs. Having compared the sample Spark JPEG Vs Mavic's RAW DNG, I've decided to pass on Spark and get Mavic instead. Can't live with the jpeg compression artifacts; no good for photography.
2017-6-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DhiAn Posted at 2017-6-6 10:38
Probably my last post in spark forum. Thank you all for your inputs. Having compared the sample Spark JPEG Vs Mavic's RAW DNG, I've decided to pass on Spark and get Mavic instead. Can't live with the jpeg compression artifacts; no good for photography.

The Spark really isn't for serious photographers. If you want the portability but the better camera, the Mavic would be the best choice. The next one up would be the P4 series in general.
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules