Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do i need to buy an ipad?
6428 27 2017-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MeDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1245548 ft
Italy

hi guys,

Seeing that i am waiting for my bird to be repaired,again,i want to clarifiy this problem.By using an Ipad i can avoid all that annoying crashes ?
2017-6-4
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

I have no experience with Android tablets, but I have the impression that there are many more troubles reported with them than with iPads. I use a new 5th generation iPad excusively with my P4P, and have used an iPad Air 2 before, with no problems. My idea is that the DJI software running on iOS is more stable and robust than the version running on Android.
2017-6-5
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depends on the iPad, just as it depends on the Android device. I agree with Antonio76 in that a later model iOS device may serve you better than a late model Android device. The iOS version of the app does not appear more robust though.
2017-6-5
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

After having my phantom three go down in the ocean, I want to do everything possible to make sure nothing like that ever happens again.  One of the things that I struggle with is seeimg everything on and a tiny little cell phone screen.  I've been doing a fair amount of investigation regarding using a tablet with my phantom 3. I have decided to go with the Ipad Mini  because I feel the regular iPad will be a little bulky.   I've scoured the Internet trying to get the best deal on a refurbished mini iPad  and for myself, I don't think the price differences worth me getting something used versus a brand-new iPad mini.  I'm going to purchase a brand-new iPad mini 4  with 128 Mac for $399. I don't want to go cheap when flying such an expensive drone. \
2017-6-5
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

IOS and DJI go hand in hand. It always has and always will. There is a very close relationship there. Over the years I started with my iPhone and tried an iPad full size which I found to cumbersome. It is just to much to be on your RC. for the past two years I have been using an iPad Mini 4 with Cellular and in my opinion it is a perfect match. Not to big and not to small. Plenty of  speed. Never have had an issue. Hope this helps.
2017-6-5
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeffyk Posted at 2017-6-5 03:29
After having my phantom three go down in the ocean, I want to do everything possible to make sure nothing like that ever happens again.  One of the things that I struggle with is seeimg everything on and a tiny little cell phone screen.  I've been doing a fair amount of investigation regarding using a tablet with my phantom 3. I have decided to go with the Ipad Mini  because I feel the regular iPad will be a little bulky.   I've scoured the Internet trying to get the best deal on a refurbished mini iPad  and for myself, I don't think the price differences worth me getting something used versus a brand-new iPad mini.  I'm going to purchase a brand-new iPad mini 4  with 128 Mac for $399. I don't want to go cheap when flying such an expensive drone. \

Really, DJI Go (if you're getting another P3) runs fine on many older iOS and Android devices. You don't need to invest much for a device to fly your P3. I flew all of my P3 series quads fine on Android devices that came out over 4 years ago. The real issues people are having are with DJI Go 4, which requires a device with far more power than DJI go requires.
2017-6-5
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

There is a huge difference in the DJI Go app on iOS versus Android. I had tried several Android tablets and a couple of Android phones before buying an iPad mini (3rd gen). Every single Android device that I tried had application crashes and other issues (features not available or not working correctly). I rarely had an outing where the app didn't act up or outright crash. I never installed anything but the DJI Go app and even tried wiping the tablets for a cleaner start. The iPad mini worked flawlessly right out of the box and in the year or so that I had that tablet I only experienced one app crash. Since then I have used an iPad Air 2 and now use an iPad Pro 9.7", neither of which have ever had an app crash. I went back to an iPhone ~2 years ago and used it (an iPhone 6S Plus) flawlessly with my drones as well. I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus that works equally as well. Understand that I am in no way an Apple fanboy. I just believe in using the right tool for the job. In my experience, the iOS devices are the right tool for controlling my various DJI drones. I have owned/do own multiple DJI drones (P3P, P4, P4P, I2) and the results with the iOS devices are the same on all of them.
2017-6-5
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

I want to buy my iPad mini this week. Can you guys confirm that the non-cellular version will still work, right?
2017-6-5
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Jeffyk Posted at 2017-6-5 05:34
I want to buy my iPad mini this week. Can you guys confirm that the non-cellular version will still work, right?

It will work for sure, but you won't have GPS on it, for what it is worth.  (I think you will just miss the possibility of changing the home point to where you are, because that would require GPS on the tablet/mobile phone)
2017-6-5
Use props
apomares-Vzla
lvl.1
Flight distance : 633609 ft
United States

You won't neither have the actual maps unless you have WiFi or you downloaded previously. It is a must is case it get lost and you need to go and get it. I happened to me once!!!
2017-6-5
Use props
MeDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1245548 ft
Italy

Thanks guys,i will go for an ipad mini 4 then,seeing that is small.
2017-6-5
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Get the cellular. bit expensive but worth for gps.
2017-9-5
Use props
HighCamera
First Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-5 03:51
IOS and DJI go hand in hand. It always has and always will. There is a very close relationship there. Over the years I started with my iPhone and tried an iPad full size which I found to cumbersome. It is just to much to be on your RC. for the past two years I have been using an iPad Mini 4 with Cellular and in my opinion it is a perfect match. Not to big and not to small. Plenty of  speed. Never have had an issue. Hope this helps.

I wonder why Apple wouldn't make some hardware specifically  for DJI. The P4P+ built in screen seems to run on a custom version of Android. I think the Crystal Sky does as well. I am convinced that at a certain point it has less to do with the speed of the gadget and more to do with optimization. I can see the apple logo on the controller
2017-9-5
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Latest gen iPad mini with P4Pro, spark and mavic with no issues at all. Sorry.
2017-9-10
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.4
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

I bought a full size Ipad.  It is very large, just barely fits in the RC holder.  It is very bulky.  Something just a bit smaller would be great, but I didn't want to spend a great deal of money, and the Ipad was on sale at Verizon.  It works great, but like I said, a bit big and kinda heavy.  
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Have had only great success with my iPad Air2 Cellular.

It just operates great. A real work horse...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

MeDrone Posted at 2017-6-5 13:36
Thanks guys,i will go for an ipad mini 4 then,seeing that is small.

If you buy a Cellular version, you get GPS built in.
Having that advantage allows you to change the dynamic home point, use Follow me and more.
If you have a Cellular account, you can stream live video from your drones camera, to YouTube and Facebook accounts.

I think the extra expense is fully worth it.
Of course, YMMV. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
TD88
lvl.1

United States

I bought an iPad Air 2 and use it for my drone only. If I need internet, I can tether it with my phone.
2017-9-10
Use props
fansd2384f6d
New
Flight distance : 829685 ft
United States

TD88 Posted at 2017-9-10 14:01
I bought an iPad Air 2 and use it for my drone only. If I need internet, I can tether it with my phone.

My iPad mini 4 works great with my Mavic. Hoping to get P4P soon. Hoping the iPad mini 4 can handle it as good. I use the hotspot on my cell phone to power the iPad mini's WiFi. Works very good.
2017-9-12
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I have an IPad Air 2 with LTE.  No need to hassle with the phone and Hotspots.

However, you must choose iOS or Android carefully, as DJI is not supporting all their products on iOS, nor on Android. For instance, if you have an Osmo with the video adapter, you have to have an Android device... Yes, hardware wise it should work, but the iOS app does not support it (you can fiddle with it for awhile and get an image, though, so that's why I now the hardware works). But it seems DJI is not interested in supporting it.
2017-9-12
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

I have fought apple products for years 50 yrs electronic background, I bit the bullet 3 weeks ago bought an Ipad, and have not had one single problem!! NONE!! throw away that android tablet...
2017-9-13
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

I've got an I-pad Mini 4.  No issues running the app with it so far.
2017-9-13
Use props
tjalex
Captain
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

For spark.. the controller is too small for ipad. please double check. may be need the adapter.
2017-9-20
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd actually look at a Ipad Pro 10.5 cellular, it much brighter (600nits vs 430nits) than the mini 4 and the A10x cpu compared to the A8 in the mini is CPU: 2.5× faster and Graphics: 4.3× faster.

The larger screen is much better as well
2017-9-21
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249364 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd2384f6d Posted at 2017-9-12 19:50
My iPad mini 4 works great with my Mavic. Hoping to get P4P soon. Hoping the iPad mini 4 can handle it as good. I use the hotspot on my cell phone to power the iPad mini's WiFi. Works very good.

Sorry to say, I just bought a new P4P and have a new mini 4 also. No, it does not work as well as the Mavic..nothing does in there line-up. Disappointing to say the least.
2017-9-22
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Supercaliber Posted at 2017-9-22 06:47
Sorry to say, I just bought a new P4P and have a new mini 4 also. No, it does not work as well as the Mavic..nothing does in there line-up. Disappointing to say the least.

what is the problem with your p4p ?
2017-9-22
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

HighCamera Posted at 2017-9-5 10:39
I wonder why Apple wouldn't make some hardware specifically  for DJI. The P4P+ built in screen seems to run on a custom version of Android. I think the Crystal Sky does as well. I am convinced that at a certain point it has less to do with the speed of the gadget and more to do with optimization. I can see the apple logo on the controller

Very interesting thought. I believe Apple has acquired the Nest Brand which is of the same high quality of the Apple standards.
2017-10-14
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46148 ft
United States

TD88 Posted at 2017-9-10 14:01

How do you do that? Via blue tooth or make your phone a hot spot???
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules