Is it a good idea to charge your batteries with a non DJI charger?
3288 20 2017-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

http://www.lightake.com/p/Mavic- ... -Pro_MU2139862.html I found this, and I it is a good idea, not having to wait for each one to charge one after another, but is it a good idea? Like, it's not by DJI so should I get it or just stick to the hub made by DJI?
2017-6-5
Use props
Captain Tobias
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I think the DJI battery charger would have been optimised for the DJI batteries. I would caution if the 3rd part charger claims to charge faster as this might shorten the battery life. Just my opinion.
2017-6-5
Use props
Zorrr2
lvl.3
United States

I have that specific charger and it works GREAT !!! The charge rate is the same as the DJI Charger EXCEPT . . instead of charging one at a time . . it charges all THREE at once (each individually mind you as per its own requirements). I like it . . charges all three batteries and controler at once !!
2017-6-5
Use props
Ron in Utah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10902 ft
United States

Captain Tobias  Posted at 2017-6-5 11:14
I think the DJI battery charger would have been optimised for the DJI batteries. I would caution if the 3rd part charger claims to charge faster as this might shorten the battery life. Just my opinion.

It looks like the "faster" charge is achieved by charging them simultaneously, rather than sequentially.  You could get the same effect by buying as many DJI chargers as you have batteries. The charging hub just switches from one battery to the next in sequence, but you still have to wait for each battery to charge one at a time.

That said, the charging hub saves you some time by eliminating the gaps in charging that would occur between when a battery is full, and when you notice it and connect the next battery.
2017-6-5
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
United States

Ron in Utah Posted at 2017-6-5 11:36
It looks like the "faster" charge is achieved by charging them simultaneously, rather than sequentially.  You could get the same effect by buying as many DJI chargers as you have batteries. The charging hub just switches from one battery to the next in sequence, but you still have to wait for each battery to charge one at a time.

That said, the charging hub saves you some time by eliminating the gaps in charging that would occur between when a battery is full, and when you notice it and connect the next battery.

But is it safe? I thought i read somewhere that charging your DJI batteries with a non DJI charger isn't safe and my cause damage to the batteries
2017-6-5
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
United States

Zorrr2@aol.com Posted at 2017-6-5 11:31
I have that specific charger and it works GREAT !!! The charge rate is the same as the DJI Charger EXCEPT . . instead of charging one at a time . . it charges all THREE at once (each individually mind you as per its own requirements). I like it . . charges all three batteries and controler at once !!

Is it safe? I thought i read somewhere that charging your DJI batteries with a non DJI charger isn't safe and my cause damage to the batteries. Have you had good experiences with it? Does it cause your batteries any damage?
2017-6-5
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-6-5 11:41
Is it safe? I thought i read somewhere that charging your DJI batteries with a non DJI charger isn't safe and my cause damage to the batteries. Have you had good experiences with it? Does it cause your batteries any damage?

I have this charger recently arrived. It charges all batteries with precision.
There is no damage to batteries after use. The batteries behave as though they were charged by DJI charger.
They are safe from my observation and the many YT clips showing how they operate.
Great addition to the Mavic kit.
Search YT for more accounts of this charger.
2017-6-5
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Mavic battery chargers are actually just power supplies....all of the charging control is built into the battery itself. So as long as you provide the correct voltage and amperage, the battery does the rest....the charger you are referencing is by far the most popular and has pretty good reviews other than lack of a proper ground. Can be found all over eBay and Amazon for the same price.
2017-6-5
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-6-5 19:35
Mavic battery chargers are actually just power supplies....all of the charging control is built into the battery itself. So as long as you provide the correct voltage and amperage, the battery does the rest....the charger you are referencing is by far the most popular and has pretty good reviews other than lack of a proper ground. Can be found all over eBay and Amazon for the same price.

What do you mean by "lack of a proper ground?" do I need to add anything once I get it?
2017-6-6
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Single battery costs $99 while original charger is about $50. Do you really want to risk damaging the batteries using cheap chargers?
2017-6-6
Use props
Hugg727
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124895 ft
United States

I also have that charger and it works very well.
2017-6-6
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
United States

utkin Posted at 2017-6-6 03:51
Single battery costs $99 while original charger is about $50. Do you really want to risk damaging the batteries using cheap chargers?

I mean, technically, they cost 89, but I get your point
2017-6-6
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Do you really want to risk damaging the batteries using cheap chargers?

Yes, life is full of risks.
2017-6-6
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-6-6 04:03
I mean, technically, they cost 89, but I get your point

It depends on a region where you buy
2017-6-6
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Hugg727 Posted at 2017-6-6 03:59
I also have that charger and it works very well.

What do you mean by "work well"? How can you know that using this charger you will not reduce max number of charge cycles?
2017-6-6
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-6-6 03:33
What do you mean by "lack of a proper ground?" do I need to add anything once I get it?

The charger doesn't have a ground lug connected even though the cord is a 3 prong cord.......some folks have opened it up and added a ground....very simple mod.
2017-6-6
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

guys....again, don't overthink this.......all this charger as well as the Magic OEM charger does is provide a constant voltage and amperage. The battery's are intelligent flight batteries and control all of the charging parameters internally. This charger has been around for a long time and is a very popular choice for the Phantom series pilots as well. I haven't heard any negative reviews other than regarding the lack of a proper ground.

There are enough reviews that I would feel comfortable in using this charger without any concerns over long term battery life.
2017-6-6
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-6-6 06:53
The charger doesn't have a ground lug connected even though the cord is a 3 prong cord.......some folks have opened it up and added a ground....very simple mod.

Ground connections are primarily for compliance with wiring standards.  I'm sure nothing else in the charger is grounded.  The charger just provides a regulated DC voltage to the battery for charging.  No ... it does not provide a constant current.  The intelligent battery controls its charge current. The power supply just has to have the capability of providing current on demand without dropping voltage.
2017-6-6
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

My issue is that it is BLUE and it looks like it was made in 1984 {:4_157:}
2017-6-6
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-6-6 07:44
Ground connections are primarily for compliance with wiring standards.  I'm sure nothing else in the charger is grounded.  The charger just provides a regulated DC voltage to the battery for charging.  No ... it does not provide a constant current.  The intelligent battery controls its charge current. The power supply just has to have the capability of providing current on demand without dropping voltage.

I'm not trying to be rude but you are speculating as to how the charger works and are incorrect. Current must be limited by the charger.
2017-6-6
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 2017-6-6 10:02
I'm not trying to be rude but you are speculating as to how the charger works and are incorrect. Current must be limited by the charger.

You're exactly correct.  Most chargers have current limiters to prevent disastrous outcomes, but they do not provide constant current.  In fact, most lithium battery chargers are smart and control the charge current according to a prescribed charging protocol.  My point was specific to the DJI Intelligent batteries which I believe control their charge current internally.  I could be wrong, but I've gained some respect for the design of the battery - 3 (quasi) independent cells - load balanced.
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules