Phantom2 hairline cracks around the motor screws
2662 11 2015-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

i discovered small hairline cracks around the motor screws. The interesting and strange thing is that those cracks only appear with the silver capped motors. The ones with black motor endcaps are free of hairline cracks. I discovered that many other ppl have the same problem, it seems to be a construction fault. My P2 is from december 2013 and it seems this is the right age to get those cracks. I never unscrewed or tightened the four motor screws and of course my phantom never had a crash or even a hard landing. I remember my old P1 did not have those cracks but on the other hand i sold it after 6 months.

2015-3-12
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It's probably worse than your photo. Internal fractures also.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... lang=en&lang=en
2015-3-12
Use props
morimoore
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50909 ft
United States

It's pretty normal , I just put a little JB weld on the inside where the cracks are.
2015-3-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

morimoore@comca Posted at 2015-3-13 08:04
It's pretty normal , I just put a little JB weld on the inside where the cracks are.

I dont consider that as normal, to me this is a construction fault. Wrong type of material used for the P2 shell or the silver capped motors need more isolation against vibrations with rubber for example etc.. This is not normal when a P2 that never crashed or hard landed shows such cracks at the silver capped motor screws(counterclockwise).You have to be sure that JB weld dont attack the plastic even more. I dont know, maybe epoxy resin if thats ok with the plastic shell.
2015-3-13
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

Mine did this same thing - it is now at DJI being repaired and getting it's upgrades. I had mine for 2 weeks. 3 hours of flight time total, no crashes or hard landings (not my first copter rodeo). I also had deteriorating motor mounts...

But she is getting all fixed up!
2015-3-13
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

I have a PV2 (FC200) and have had zero crashes, one hard landing in 16" of snow, 40-50 flights and have just noticed I have one similar stress crack.  I would say it has much to do with the stress and vibration of the motors and the mixture of the resin/plastic on the day of production.  It could also be from factory over tightening?  I know mass production doesn't always use/favor Quality Control (torque specs etc) .  I agree - this should not be accepted as "normal use/wear and tear one should expect".  These aren't toys and they weren't cheap.  I do expect motors to wear out, props to chip or break etc - but the structure should be legitimate throughout ownership as long as my flying/crashing hasn't caused the structural damage.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar,
Brian
2015-3-13
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

These hairline cracks look identical to what one would get if anaerobic threadlocker compound was used on the screws and if you didn't touch the screws then maybe DJI used the wrong compound on their screws at that time (just a guess)
2015-3-13
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-13 23:03
These hairline cracks look identical to what one would get if anaerobic threadlocker compound was us ...

that cant be the reason because those cracks only happen at the two counterclockwise motors. As i said im not the only one with those cracks. All other screws all over the phantom shell use the blue DJI loctite stuff and they are fine. That is why its interesting to me and i think its a construction fault.I dont know why the counterclockwise motors create more vibration or heat, i guess DJI knew the answer
2015-3-13
Use props
fwickeha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

ChristoHD Posted at 2015-3-13 07:56
Mine did this same thing - it is now at DJI being repaired and getting it's upgrades. I had mine for ...

Good luck.  When did you send it back to DJI?  Have they acknowledged receipt yet?  
I sent mine back for the same reason on 7/10/2015.  DJI acknowledged receipt and entered into Zendesk on 7/15/2015.  Told me it was being replaced and shipped back on 9/1/2015.  
FedEx has not picked it up yet and it is now 9/14/2015.
2015-9-14
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

fwickeha@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-14 12:12
Good luck.  When did you send it back to DJI?  Have they acknowledged receipt yet?  
I sent mine b ...

It took DJI about 3 weeks total. Once I got it back, I sold it, and went with another brand. Then I just bought the P3 Pro. The DJI and the Yuneec quads both have their pluses and minuses. Love them both. The constant software upgrades are a PITA, but I am glad they are happening!
2015-12-6
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

Thanx for the update.
I finally got a replacement back in October that I had to return because it was not working right.  Got it back again in November and I am considering selling now because I have moved on to an Inspire, a much better machine.
2015-12-7
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

they make these parts that screw under the motor to make them stronger so no  more cracking
2016-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules