Return to home - stop start issues
2603 13 2017-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd90d862a
New
Flight distance : 251329 ft
Greece

The last couple of times I've flown the mavic and pressed the RTH button the mavic starts to return.

What happens then is that ir appears to keep stopping after a short distance before moving again. On
A couple of occasions it says it has detected an obstacle but nothing in the area that would cause this.

On the last flight the mavic even ascended in height above the RTH height setting.

Any one else had these issues or know what I should do to correct it.

It appears to fly okay otherwise....just RTH problem.
2017-6-6
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Is it maybe flying towards the sun?
Cause the front obstacle sensors can be off then.
2017-6-6
Use props
GrAndAG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6299 ft
Russia

Did Mavic return to home against the sun? Because it's known issue when obstacle avoidance system interprets the sun as an obstacle.
2017-6-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Yep, sounds like it is looking at the sun when it rotates toward home.
2017-6-6
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^^^^^^^^^^^ above comments provide best solution
2017-6-6
Use props
fansd90d862a
New
Flight distance : 251329 ft
Greece

GrAndAG Posted at 2017-6-6 09:14
Did Mavic return to home against the sun? Because it's known issue when obstacle avoidance system interprets the sun as an obstacle.

Could well be the issue.

Don't seem to have this problem with P4

I'll switch off the sensors and see if it makes a difference
2017-6-8
Use props
fanse59ba1e0
New
United States

I have just started having the same issue, on auto Return to Home, the drone will move forward about 20 feet and stop.  then move forward about 20 feet again and stop.  I actually almost lost the drone over the ocean because the drone was doing this out of sight and battery almost died before I finally cancelled the RTH and got it on shore before it auto landed.  This problem happens even at dusk and facing away from the sun, so no issue with that.  Someone please help.  Afraid to fly out of sight or in case of lost signal because of not being able to auto return home. I think it may have started right after the last firnware update
2017-6-18
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

So all the responses above conclude that the obstacle avoidance sensors keep the quad from RTH into the sun, but the manual and on screen warning state that those sensors are disabled during RTH, how can they be the problem if they are turned off? Just Curious

As far as getting back into the sun, while sensors are active turn the drone 90 degrees and fly sideways
2017-6-18
Use props
MannRL
New
United States

As with mine, when I disable the OA (Obstacle Avoidance) in the RTH (Return To Home) mode, i don't have a problem.  It's only if the OA is turned on i n RTH mode that I have the problem.
2017-6-20
Use props
Lino Miguel Abreu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64160 ft
Portugal

fanse59ba1e0 Posted at 2017-6-18 17:18
I have just started having the same issue, on auto Return to Home, the drone will move forward about 20 feet and stop.  then move forward about 20 feet again and stop.  I actually almost lost the drone over the ocean because the drone was doing this out of sight and battery almost died before I finally cancelled the RTH and got it on shore before it auto landed.  This problem happens even at dusk and facing away from the sun, so no issue with that.  Someone please help.  Afraid to fly out of sight or in case of lost signal because of not being able to auto return home. I think it may have started right after the last firnware update

Hello. Just had the same problem today, and I had the obstacle avoidance off!!

The mavic just kept acelarating and stopping, and allways climbing up (till it reached maximum altitude). Had to turn rth off and bring it back myself.

Any though on why?

Thanks
2018-5-12
Use props
userb175b7b256
lvl.1
Flight distance : 955614 ft
Argentina

Lino Miguel Abreu Posted at 2018-5-12 05:47
Hello. Just had the same problem today, and I had the obstacle avoidance off!!

The mavic just kept acelarating and stopping, and allways climbing up (till it reached maximum altitude). Had to turn rth off and bring it back myself.

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago whilst doing my commercial flight assessment although the mavic did eventually return to home.
I had a look on this page and tried all the suggestions, such as downgrading the software to a previous version, turning off obstacle avoidance etc etc. In the end I resolved the issue by re-installing the latest software, doing an IMU calibration followed by calibrating both the forward and downward sensors using the DJI assistant 2 software on my Mac.
Personally I think it was the sensor calibration that resolved the issue and not the IMU calibration.
2018-9-4
Use props
fans528d7248
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136909 ft
Australia

Hi ... not sure if my problem fits in this thread but here it is anyways:
i have a mavic pro with dual remote controls - both linked primary (MCTL) and secondary
i start the drone with MCTL but as soon as the GPS / home point is detected, the drone stops.
If i get into a non GPS (ATTN) zone (home point not detected), the drone doesnt stop.
Through my test i even had the drone taking off by itself, reacched the RTH 30m clearance and landed.

If i turn the second remote off ... the drone starts and flys with no problem ...

has anyone experienced / fixed such dual remote / return home problem?
cheers

Phil
2019-4-8
Use props
Dovie
New

Ireland

I see most of the comments for DJI mavic Pro stopping and starting and exceeding max altitude were back in 2018.
I haven't used mine for about 12 months and have just had the same issue. It was ok last year. So has to be the latest software installed at start up today.
I had to bring it back manually as it was getting low on battery. It wasn't the sun as it did the same going away from sun.
Did anyone solve the problem
2023-9-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dovie Posted at 9-6 10:54
I see most of the comments for DJI mavic Pro stopping and starting and exceeding max altitude were back in 2018.
I haven't used mine for about 12 months and have just had the same issue. It was ok last year. So has to be the latest software installed at start up today.
I had to bring it back manually as it was getting low on battery. It wasn't the sun as it did the same going away from sun.

Can you roll the firmware back to the old version?
If applicable,
1) have you checked that the OA camera lenses are clean and clear?
2) Can you switch OA off during RTH?
2023-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules