Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic out of control -i hear of many of these cases
123Next >
9188 87 2017-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33563 ft
Germany

Hi,
Recently my mavic went out of control right after take off.
I was in Italy, had the Drone on the Ground, all indications Green, GPS green, no Wind and then i took off. Usually it remains in the hover position as we all know. This time it immidiately flew away. You could see in the flight data recordings, that i do nothing with the sticks and it just moves away, very quickly also. Then i tried to stabilize it with countermovements, but it just reacted strange and flew right into a house and crashed.
Luckily nobody was hit or hurt. DJI support gave me a new Drone in exchange, thanks for the quick delivery, but hey: i really don't trust this drone any more.
Because just 3 days later a friend of mine told me, that he crashed his mavic because it went away with no chance to control that thing. Now i find videos on youtube where people report the exact same thing.
They said it was a compass error in my case, but is my new drone safe now?!
Flight safety is first priority, so what's up with that issue???
2017-6-6
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Do you recall what FW version you were using at the time?
I dont think it is endemic and certainly wouldnt be worried about losing control to that extent again.
There are people here who have the Mavic from day one without such incident other than FW induced minor problems.
Just fly it in large open areas until you gain some trust in it.
Dont be flying near buildings and in public areas where there might be wifi hotspots. Use airplane mode on your device.
Grab a few beers, relax and go for a spin. :-)
2017-6-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Your case sounds like that of someone who took off from a location with some kind of magnetic distortion. By any chance was your takeoff from concrete or some other location where there was steel or another magnetic alloy nearby?

I haven't heard of "many" cases like this, but in most of the ones I have heard of it's possible to determine what caused it, and it's usually pilot error and not a defect. When you say that DJI gave you "a new Drone in exchange", did they provide you with a free warranty replacement or did you have to use Care Refresh, and what was their explanation for what happened?

Also, though you obviously don't still have the original Mavic and can't provide the flight log off it, you should still have a copy of the TXT file on your mobile device. Please upload it using the instructions here, provide a link to it, and we'll be in a better position to know what happened. There have been a few other new forum members popping up lately with horror stories, but for some reason they've declined to provide us with any information beyond their own description of what happened; hopefully yours won't be another case like that.
2017-6-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

What I found, is that when you take off with just  a few sats, and it gains more while already in the air, it will start to drift and act a little weird, like it is correcting itself for more accurate positioning.

But I do have to manually fly it quickly left or right to get it to stay steady when that happens, but when it acts like that it is just moving slowly (not full speed, but might be "quick" in your eyes). Nothing uncontrolable.

2017-6-7
Use props
Gregbella
Captain
Australia

The same sort of thing happened to me mine was just hovering at 20 meters about 30 meters away. All of a sudden it started flying
2017-6-7
Use props
Gregbella
Captain
Australia

Sorry I touched the wrong button. Flying away l had no control over it. I found about 2 kilometres away it had hit a tree it was replaced under warranty but I am to scared to fly my new one
2017-6-7
Use props
Red Defiant
lvl.1
United States

I had a similar experience. I took off from my patio flew up to about 5-6ft then flew to the center of my yard (about 10 feet away from the take off point) and waited a minute for it to get sat connection, then it got sat connection and just started flying on its own and few into my neighbors house. The drone had some scratches, and there was no damage to my neighbor's house. For what its worth my status was green and on the latest firmware.
2017-6-7
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

hmmm I had my Mavic for a while now and haven't had the type of issues you guys described. Sucks to hear this.
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

How can anyone know what happened without showing some sort of flight logs.
2017-6-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Red Defiant Posted at 2017-6-7 04:03
I had a similar experience. I took off from my patio flew up to about 5-6ft then flew to the center of my yard (about 10 feet away from the take off point) and waited a minute for it to get sat connection, then it got sat connection and just started flying on its own and few into my neighbors house. The drone had some scratches, and there was no damage to my neighbor's house. For what its worth my status was green and on the latest firmware.

This sounds like pure operator error.  You took off from your patio.  The patio is not normally a clear area at all.  You want to take off from the center of the yard where it can have a clear RTH path.  More likely you had partial blockage of GPS signals and possibly ferrous metal influencing the compass readings.  Even if those things didn't happen, what happens if RTH is triggered before you reset its location to somewhere clear?  Is it going to be able to descend from RTH altitude and land where it took off from without hitting anything?

Oh, and you said you flew it to the center of the yard and waited for satellite connection?  You should never have taken off in the first place if you didn't have good satellite numbers.  You need to be in an open area, so the sats can be seen by the Mavic's GPS antenna, preferably open for 360 degrees so that you have good geometric location information and not just good numbers of sats.

You are flying an aircraft.  Think like a pilot, not like a kid with a new pair of skates wanting to wear them everywhere he goes.  Whether you realize it or not, your aircraft can do bodily harm to humans and pets, and can do property damage.  It isn't a toy.  

2017-6-7
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

As DroneFlying and hallmark007 have posted, the only chance you have of obtaining a critical evaluation is to post your logs.  Otherwise it's all speculation.
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/T6PMPZX7OIJBOPIY9E6Q/
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

I don't know what is wrong with this forum engine, but i am having trouble posting an answer because it keeps giving me "sorry your fill contains bad information, can not submit" messages
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

I am typing on my iphone now, seems like this is working...

So the log is above, drone crashed in second 0:23, i had 13 to 15 satellites until then. Can you see my inputs on the controls also? You can see that i have not even touched the controls when the drone already started moving

And yes, a drone is NOT a Toy, that is why i take drone flying very seriously. And that is also why i don't trust that thing any more.

Dji replaced the drone within the warranty, i don't have dji care
2017-6-7
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

well looks like you hit some heavy interference as you entered the town, lost gps, switched to atti and so on... i guess best way to react would've been to gain some altitude...
e: i'm not very good at reading logs, let someone else answer
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Sorry, but you are wrong, please read carefully: I said that the drone crashed in 0:23 already, the atti mode and loss of satellites after that is a result of the crashed drone lying on the ground!
As i said, the drone flew there already out of control!!!
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Firstly while it's no cause of your Aircraft crashing you took off at 52% battery never a good idea.
Although you were reading 15 satellites what was the gps bar graph reading, you had serious magnetic interference and loss of gps shortly into your flight, your stick movements were obviously affected by magnetic interference i.e. Compass wanting to go in a different direction than you were pushing.

Flight environment is very important with these aircraft and looking at your picture it didn't look like a great place to fly.

I don't think this was dji's or aircrafts fault , there are better ways you can prepare for a flight than just start up and fly away.
I don't know from what you said in your OP if dji replaced under warranty or you had to use care refresh, either way looking at your log you were lucky.

For me it's not about trusting the drone but rather the pilot.
2017-6-7
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

In at least one prior incident, there was magnetic interference at the takeoff spot and the drone behaved erratically.  Did you notice that the aircraft arrow on the display was turned in a different direction from the direction of flight?  

From the CVS file (which gives a bit more information - if you can read it), it appears that your initial YAW was -99.4.  I don't know what that means but maybe BudWalker could comment.  Maybe just the direction the AC is pointed.  Since this info is just from the flight log and not the DAT file from the Mavic, there is no compass information (MAGYaw)i ncluded.

The AC did indeed begin to fly away during Auto Takeoff with no stick movement.  This scenario fits with magnetic interference at the initial takeoff spot.  But there could be other explanations. Maybe someone else will jump in now.

Another thing this file indicated is that the GPS count dropped to 4 about 27 seconds into the flight - further adding to the delima. But by that time the AC was already almost 25 meters away.
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Guys, once again: i lost the satellites AFTER the drone crashed into the house!
Tell me, what better environment can there be than a walkside next to an open lake (lago di garda) with 15 satellites? And how could i have recognized this as an unsafe spot to fly?

Dji said it was a compass error when they replaced the drone, so i would say they agreed on a hardware, not a pilot error
2017-6-7
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 07:02
Tell me, what better environment can there be than a walkside next to an open lake (lago di garda) with 15 satellites? And how could i have recognized this as an unsafe spot to fly?

Yes. I can see 15 satellites before you crashed.  If you didn't receive a compass error before flying, there is was no way to know you were in an unsafe location.  Perhaps it was just faulty hardware.
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 07:02

There are ways to check compass and gps before you fly you should check these out and this is something you can do as a pilot.

Checking compass heading matches heading as aircraft. Just check the small red arrow on your map in bottom left hand corner if it's pointing in the same direction as your Aircraft then your compass should be ok.
With gps don't only check number of satellites but better reading is from graph bars 4 bars is what you need sometimes it can say 14 sats but only 1 bar this is not good.
You should always start flying on fully charged battery
You should also let your Aircraft hover for 20 seconds to make sure you are happy that it's ok.

While it's great that dji gave you a new drone, if you follow simple preflight rules you will fly with a lot more confidence.

Thanks for putting up your logs it does help all understand. And good luck with your new drone.
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

I was referring to hallmarks answer, griffith. But yeah, in min 0:23 the drone crashed! In 0:24 it was already lying on it's back on the ground with one broken arm and that is why it suddenly looses connection to those satellites.

2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Okay, once again especially for you hallmark:
I made the drone take off! First thing i usually do is leave it hovering just to check if everything is ok! What happened is, that the drone left this hovering position right away, without any input on the controls from my side! No compass error before the flight!
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

And why can't i type this?
IMG_9338.PNG
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Secondly: don't tell me you never took off with 50 percent battery. How do you know this is not the 2nd flight of one session?
You are looking so hard to find pilot errors because you seem so convinced that these devices are perfect.
As i stated previously, i am ATC , nobody takes flight safety more serious than us!
And what we have learned from the aircraft incidents in the past, besides the countless pilot errors of course is: electronics are just as smart as they have been programmed
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 08:02
Secondly: don't tell me you never took off with 50 percent battery. How do you know this is not the 2nd flight of one session?
You are looking so hard to find pilot errors because you seem so convinced that these devices are perfect.
As i stated previously, i am ATC , nobody takes flight safety more serious than us!

No I never took off to fly with 50% battery, it's part of my preflight checklist, no point in having one if I keep changing it.
Look if you already know everything not much point in giving you any advice.

You also say in your OP that you did nothing i.e. Push the sticks,  actually your log tells a different story your AC was hovering above take off at 11.5 seconds when you started to push the sticks , you should go back and read your log. You were also doing a lot pushing your sticks at 42 seconds although you say your AC crashed at 23 seconds it was still moving at 42 seconds , according to your PH log.

I wasn't trying to point to pilot error, but rather trying to help with your difficulties of being afraid to fly your new drone.
Reality is in the scheme of things very very few of these AC crash due to malfunction, I would hazard a guess many many more are caused by pilots.

2017-6-7
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Did you use auto Take Off? There have been a number of people claiming that the drone behaved erratically following an auto take off, I never use it prefering to start the aircraft and fly it off the ground, Proper pilot in me that is! I always wait for a confirmation that the home point has been recorded and I always check it makes sense on the map.
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Really i don't know everything and i know that, but actually you are the one who talks like that.

You seem to know better than me what i did even though you weren't even there!
Read carefully: i said it went away without any input on the sticks! Of course i did countercontrol the movement of the drone when i saw that it was moving away.
It seems to be hard to visualize what happend just from reading the logs, so i made a video from the log video and uploaded it on youtube
https://youtu.be/-qvrjQzT5jo

You can see that it moves away at second 10 of the log video (NOT the youtube video) and of course i try to get it back with an input on the controls

But the drone reacts faulty and goes away even further until it crashes into the house at high speed at 0:24 of the log file

NO More inputs on the controls scince then (i don't know what you read in the log, the only control input you see is the emergency shut down rightbottom leftbottom at 0:46 and you can see that in the video as well)
Yes, the drone was still moving when it was lying on it's back on the ground, because 2 of the propellers were still turning, which made the drone turn on it's back as well. And you can see that on the video too!!!

So any more explanations?!

And yes, i did use auto take off, home point was recorded, as you can see in the video as well

2017-6-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 06:18
I am typing on my iphone now, seems like this is working...

So the log is above, drone crashed in second 0:23, i had 13 to 15 satellites until then. Can you see my inputs on the controls also? You can see that i have not even touched the controls when the drone already started moving

Thank you for posting the log. I apologize if my comment about people not posting logs came across as harsh, but we have had an unusually large number of cases of that lately and I suppose I'm just getting overly suspicious.

First off, as you said, the opinion that counts the most is DJI's, and I'm happy for you that they replaced your Mavic. If they say that it was a warranty problem then I'm not inclined to disagree them on this; I'd rather give you the benefit of the doubt.

Regarding the 50% battery issue, my personal opinion is that it all depends on what your flight plans are: if you plan to set a new distance record then 50% is a bad idea, but if you're just going to fly around for a few minutes within a short distance -- as you did here -- then it doesn't seem any more problematic than continuing an existing flight when the battery level drops to half.

With respect to your ATTI mode / GPS Position NoMatch errors, I did notice that the satellite count had dropped to a low value each time it occurred when. For example, the first time it occurs was when your satellite count went from 12 to 8 in an a very short period of time. By any chance were you flying under the eaves of a building / onto a balcony when this occurred? Google Maps shows those coordinates as being directly over what seems to be a part of the Hotel Du Lac that's four stories high, but your altitude was only about 9 meters above your takeoff point, which was located on a small dock at or near ground level.

In other words, assuming that Google Maps is reasonably accurate here, it appears you were flying into part of the hotel or at least close to doing so when ATTI was triggered. Given that and the surrounding mountains, it's not surprising that the satellite count would be low, which in turn I could see might very well trigger ATTI mode. To avoid this in the future you should be sure that a large portion of the sky is always "visible" to your Mavic so that its GPS receiver is able to maintain contact with a healthy number of satellites.

2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Droneflying, can you also PLEASE read all the previous posts carefully?
The sat count dropped from 12 to 8 and even less in a short time because it was the moment it crashed into the house! 0:23 was the moment it crashed!!! But BEFORE that, it was already out of control... scince take off
Please look at the youtube video to fully understand
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 15:24
Really i don't know everything and i know that, but actually you are the one who talks like that.

You seem to know better than me what i did even though you weren't even there!

(You seem to know better than me what i did even though you weren't even there!)

Of course you would know better because you were there, I have no doubt, but for some reason even though you as you say you would know better than anyone here you came here with your problem, so others tried to help with the information they had.

First on your log it shows flight time of 46 seconds not 23 it doesn't show you crashed at 23 seconds if you check your log you will see that your aircraft moved some 20 feet after it crashed.

Now as I pointed out to you when I seen your logs you had serious magnetic interference and loss of gps the loss of gps was not clear from the logs as your aircraft was still moving albeit on the ground.

I think droneflying also taught from looking at your logs the same thing. I also tried to help by explaining how to check compass heading but obviously your here for something else.

The reality is your Aircraft took off with a bad compass heading if you had of checked it you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble.
2017-6-7
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 15:47
Droneflying, can you also PLEASE read all the previous posts carefully?
The sat count dropped from 12 to 8 and even less in a short time because it was the moment it crashed into the house! 0:23 was the moment it crashed!!! But BEFORE that, it was already out of control... scince take off
Please look at the youtube video to fully understand

Yes, I had overlooked your video of the replay of the Go app and I understand what you mean about the timing of the crash and how the Mavic didn't respond as expected to your input. Given that the dock you took off from appears to contain a large amount of metal -- very possibly including some directly below where you took off -- then I believe my original post in this thread is applicable: you took off from a location with magnetic interference, which is known to cause the Mavic to behave this way. I suspect that you probably got a compass error message before takeoff, but at this point that could only be determined by looking at the DAT file from the original aircraft that you no longer have.
2017-6-7
Use props
Red Defiant
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-7 04:45
This sounds like pure operator error.  You took off from your patio.  The patio is not normally a clear area at all.  You want to take off from the center of the yard where it can have a clear RTH path.  More likely you had partial blockage of GPS signals and possibly ferrous metal influencing the compass readings.  Even if those things didn't happen, what happens if RTH is triggered before you reset its location to somewhere clear?  Is it going to be able to descend from RTH altitude and land where it took off from without hitting anything?

Oh, and you said you flew it to the center of the yard and waited for satellite connection?  You should never have taken off in the first place if you didn't have good satellite numbers.  You need to be in an open area, so the sats can be seen by the Mavic's GPS antenna, preferably open for 360 degrees so that you have good geometric location information and not just good numbers of sats.

I can appreciate your insight but I assure this was not an operator error. I have taken off from my patio numerous times. At the time I took off I was connected to 3 sats, I flew to the center of the yard and waited for it to finish syncing up with the rest of the GPS/GLONASS sats which it did, connected to around 15, then waited for the "Home Point has been updated...." notification, which I got. I continued to hover there for a few seconds, not even touching the sticks. Checked the aircraft status, and everything was green. Then without me moving the control sticks the drone flew back and to the left at a 45 degree angle (no altitude change). When I noticed this was happening I moved the controller sticks to try to make it fly forward and to the right. The Mavic did not respond, and continued to fly back and to the left until it hit the wall. I even hit the pause button before it hit the wall and this did nothing. I had no compass error or IMU error. I had full GPS signal, full controller and video feed signal and over 90% drone battery and over 90% controller battery. I have flown this exact pattern many times before and since without incident. I have flown in far more restrictive places both indoors and outdoors with no incident. Not operating it like a kid with new skates.
2017-6-7
Use props
Red Defiant
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-7 04:45

I can appreciate your insight but I assure this was not an operator error. I have taken off from my patio numerous times. At the time I took off I was connected to 3 sats, I flew to the center of the yard and waited for it to finish syncing up with the rest of the GPS/GLONASS sats which it did, connected to around 15, then waited for the "Home Point has been updated...." notification, which I got. I continued to hover there for a few seconds, not even touching the sticks. Checked the aircraft status, and everything was green. Then without me moving the control sticks the drone flew back and to the left at a 45 degree angle (no altitude change). When I noticed this was happening I moved the controller sticks to try to make it fly forward and to the right. The Mavic did not respond, and continued to fly back and to the left until it hit the wall. I even hit the pause button before it hit the wall and this did nothing. I had no compass error or IMU error. I had full GPS signal, full controller and video feed signal and over 90% drone battery and over 90% controller battery. I have flown this exact pattern many times before and since without incident. I have flown in far more restrictive places both indoors and outdoors with no incident. Not operating it like a kid with new skates.
2017-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Red Defiant Posted at 2017-6-7 16:43

Hi Red Defiant, your case is almost identical to the op,s , it's most like compass was out of whack from taking off from your balcony, it doesn't necessarily give you a warning, but what you say happened is almost certainly magnetic interference compass problem.
If your compass heading is not aligned with your aircraft it will cause this involuntary movement.
2017-6-7
Use props
IceCold
lvl.2
United States

Same reasons I returned my Mavic Pro, I did not trust it. How it randomly losses GPS/Glonas for no reason. It's a Gen 1 product so much stuff Shrunken down vs the Phantom 4 was a clear improvement over the Pahntom 3, the Mavic is just a random sketchy product. Plus 1080p 60 FPS is Unuseable and never Addressed by DJI made me take my $1,000 else where. It's Not safe and basic video function doesn't work.
2017-6-7
Use props
fans6d1b505c
lvl.1
Germany

Ok finally this conversation is discussion is leading somewhere

I came here to find the exact reason for the crash of my drone and to find out if it is a mavic specific problem. As it seems, the Metal is a problem to the Mavic as you state. So you have to be especially cautios with the mavic in comparison to other drones.
And if this is a mavic specific problem i also want others to know about this problem so we can operate the drone accordingly. Because the reality is this: Most Drone Flyers will just be reading the manual and flying their drone. The don't come here to this forum before they had a problem. The manual does not say that the mavic has an issue with Metal in it's surroundings and i can also not find any checklist in the manual where one of the points is "check if heading on map is same with actual heading" -i for example would not think that this points to a problem, because when i use gps navigation for cars, it often points to the wrong direction before i start moving and then it corrects itself.

Imagine the mavic was an aircraft that you would have to get on and actually fly. You would not go and sit in that thing when you had a crash before and don't know the exact reason. In civil aviation this aircraft type would be grounded until the reason is found and ALL aircraft have been upgraded to solve the problem or all pilots are briefed about it's abnormal behaviour.

DRONEFLYING i HAVE saved the DAT file befor i sent the Drone in. And i had NO compass error message.
Problem with you guys is that i have to proove every fact of the incident that i state. Luckily i have proof, but the poor other guys that come here to find a solution to their problem and don't have Log files saved.
Reminds me of the Movie "Sully" with Tom Hanks about the Hudson Lake Landing of an Airbus. Airbus Engineers attitude was from the beginning: The Aircraft Computer can't be wrong.
I reccomend to watch this movie
2017-6-7
Use props
Bay Cruiser
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

I used to read these post all the time when I had my phantom 3 standard and  they frighthed me to death with all the crashes and problem. I upgraded to a mavic a month ago and it has flown great and I never looked at this site. Silly me decided to look again today and now wish I never did because of the frightening experience people have......... think I will stop coming to this site......
2017-6-8
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 23:54

I came here to find the exact reason for the crash of my drone and to find out if it is a mavic specific problem. As it seems, the Metal is a problem to the Mavic as you state. So you have to be especially cautios with the mavic in comparison to other drones.

Hi,

I do feel your pain - the need to prove you are not a camel at every turn - but this is actually rather sensible given the amount of misinformation from other people who post here. 99% of pilot error is reported in such a way that it suggests it was equipment malfunction until the other posters prove it otherwise - which is in most cases rather easy due to the repeated inability to RTFM demonstrated by people posting here. I do get your discomfort - I'm an expert in my trade and I'm used to people taking what I say at face value - and so such an approach is rather strange but I do get why it does happen so.

The point about paying attention to the arrow pointing in a proper direction is rather sensible - but I haven't thought about it until I read it here (in some other post about the craft's strange behavior). Please do note the difference - your car nav system doesn't have a compass and therefore the direction you are moving in will be extrapolated from the difference in your position over time. Mavic however does have a compass (two of them) and so this makes more sense due to hover - in hover you can't get the heading from GPS, won't work. I'm sure you know that already - just pointing out the obvious.

Cheers!
2017-6-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

fans6d1b505c Posted at 2017-6-7 23:54

Finally? The second reply you received -- specifically mine -- within a short time of your original post mentioned that this sounded like it might be related to magnetic interference. Apparently I'm not the only one who overlooked parts of this now-long thread.

Because the reality is this: Most Drone Flyers will just be reading the manual and flying their drone. The don't come here to this forum before they had a problem. The manual does not say that the mavic has an issue with Metal in it's surroundings.

Obviously some aren't even reading the manual, because it does mention this: "If the aircraft status indicator is blinking red and yellow alternately after placing the aircraft on the ground, the compass has detected magnetic interference. Change your location." And this: "Tall structures and large metal structures may affect the accuracy of the on-board compass and GPS system." If you did read the manual before then maybe you should read it again, especially before attacking people who've tried to help you.

In civil aviation this aircraft type would be grounded until the reason is found and ALL aircraft have been upgraded to solve the problem or all pilots are briefed about it's abnormal behaviour.

It isn't abnormal; it's quite normal for a compass to behave this way, and if you really knew anything about drones or "civil aviation" you'd know better. And no, manned aircraft aren't automatically grounded whenever a design defect is found; you clearly think you know more about some things than you really do.

DRONEFLYING i HAVE saved the DAT file befor i sent the Drone in. And i had NO compass error message.

Great, then I'm not sure why you didn't mention that or post a link to it before, but please do so now. You can rest assured that I will examine it carefully and post a reply with my honest opinion of what I find.

Problem with you guys is that i have to proove every fact of the incident that i state.

Obviously you don't accept as fact everything posted by some random stranger you see on the internet, so why should we? And frankly, I'm surprised this matters to you so much if -- as you claimed -- you've already gotten a free warranty replacement from DJI. If that's true you're very fortunate that the DJI employee who evaluated your case came to a different conclusion that I have, because I believe this was yet another case of pilot error.

Reminds me of the Movie "Sully" with Tom Hanks about the Hudson Lake Landing of an Airbus. Airbus Engineers attitude was from the beginning: The Aircraft Computer can't be wrong. I reccomend to watch this movie

And I recommend that you not base your opinions or actions on what you see in the movies because they aren't always accurate. But at least we now have a better idea of where some of your strongly-held opinions come from.

Anyway, please post that DAT file from the flight; I'm looking forward to seeing it.
2017-6-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules