DJI Spark and Wifi
11864 20 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Godwisper
lvl.2
Malta

I had many drones in the past but to be honest never flew anyone of these thru Wifi as I was always afraid that I might loose the wifi signal and loose the drone. So how much safe is the spark to be flown in wifi ?
2017-6-7
Use props
nazmul.hqr
New

Bangladesh

Safe if Return To Home is enabled before.
2017-6-8
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

It is a matter of speculation. However, the systems are designed to be efficient. What you may want to consider is magnetic interference and how to stay away from any area like that.
2017-6-8
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-8 11:49
It is a matter of speculation. However, the systems are designed to be efficient. What you may want to consider is magnetic interference and how to stay away from any area like that.

I believe the customer was simply asking how robust the WiFi connection is when using just a smart device. To clarify, even when using an RC you are using WiFi! So if you are using a smart device as your controller, you are essentially just using an RC with less range.

The WiFi signal will be a very strong connection and you should feel very confident using your smart device as your controller (when within 300 feet in a non-congested area)
2017-6-8
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It will be very dependent on your device also. Some smartphone/smart devices may have less range (poorly placed wifi antennas, or cheaper components).

I also want to know... we know the Spark's wifi range is 50m high and 80m radius correct? Unlike the Mavics wifi range, the spark's range is artificially limited (geofenced) by software correct?
If this is the case, will the spark range be based on the take off point or where the controller is at the time. Eg, if i were to fly and keep following behind the spark within 80m, the spark will continue to fly forward forever (or until battery runs out).
2017-6-8
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Many Spark owners reported that the WiFi control was not stable, short in range and easily got interference by surroundings. Some of their Spark crash and some stop flying and waiting for the controller.
2017-6-8
Use props
Godwisper
lvl.2
Malta

well I think with and without controller it is still using wifi so should not make a difference ?
2017-6-8
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

How stable is the app with sparks. By all accounts, it's dji go 4 also is used other drones crashes quite often in android version.
2017-6-9
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137369 ft
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-6-9 18:51
How stable is the app with sparks. By all accounts, it's dji go 4 also is used other drones crashes quite often in android version.

I posted in my thread with a video from my spark in my other thread about this.

It's not really on-topic as this is about Wifi, but my DJI go 4 app became unresponsive to any of my touch with the virtual joystick stuck on in reverse, and descending over a small lake. The app basically froze and I had to force close it and restart it (ios was fine and responsive, the app froze).

I haven't flown it again since then.  Waiting for the remote.

Back to the wifi strength topic, the app lets you fly as far as you want without any warning of potential loss of control.  It just happens.  There's no warning, which I am assuming is because strength can fluctuate a lot depending on objects getting in between LOS.  You'll need to keep your eye on the wifi strength display on the top right when flying further out.   When it happened to me, I just walked a few steps forward which put me just in range to backpedal it in.   If I weren't in the position to move then I'd have to trust in the auto RTH, which seems to work pretty well when activating it manually.
2017-6-9
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Flight distance : 66286 ft
Australia

milksteak Posted at 2017-6-9 20:08
I posted in my thread with a video from my spark in my other thread about this.

It's not really on-topic as this is about Wifi, but my DJI go 4 app became unresponsive to any of my touch with the virtual joystick stuck on in reverse, and descending over a small lake. The app basically froze and I had to force close it and restart it (ios was fine and responsive, the app froze).

I beg to differ. Mine reaches the limit which hits the limit set by DJI using the app. I still had lots of signal at 50m height but it came up with a warning saying limit reached and stopped there. I personally have not had any wifi issues as yet, even in a suburban area.
2017-6-9
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
United States

GCBrent Posted at 2017-6-9 20:22
I beg to differ. Mine reaches the limit which hits the limit set by DJI using the app. I still had lots of signal at 50m height but it came up with a warning saying limit reached and stopped there. I personally have not had any wifi issues as yet, even in a suburban area.

Yes, you're right.  There is a built-in software lock for height when flying using the phone/wifi.  

I should have clarified that I was referring to radius not the height.. You can keep flying the spark away from you until you lose control of it.  At least that was my experience.  Fortunately once it was moving too far out, it stopped and hovered rather than continue to push forward and fly away.  I only had to walk a few paces towards the direction of the spark to gain back control.
2017-6-9
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Australia

milksteak Posted at 2017-6-9 23:13
Yes, you're right.  There is a built-in software lock for height when flying using the phone/wifi.  

I should have clarified that I was referring to radius not the height.. You can keep flying the spark away from you until you lose control of it.  At least that was my experience.  Fortunately once it was moving too far out, it stopped and hovered rather than continue to push forward and fly away.  I only had to walk a few paces towards the direction of the spark to gain back control.

Thats good to know! Just cant wait for the remote and see how far we can go then! Im in Australia so distance is an unkown... Might end up buying a Mavic as well if the distance is really short. Out of curiosity, how far did you go before you lost control?
2017-6-9
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
United States

GCBrent Posted at 2017-6-9 23:27
Thats good to know! Just cant wait for the remote and see how far we can go then! Im in Australia so distance is an unkown... Might end up buying a Mavic as well if the distance is really short. Out of curiosity, how far did you go before you lost control?

The flight recorder shows it was 76m away at 11m height moving forward at 1m/s was when video feedback started cutting out (stutter) and the drone stopped responding to me.  

Yeah, I can't wait for the remote!!  I've stopped flying since the app froze on me and the drone almost went into the lake for a drink of water.  Extended height and distance is going to be addicting, I feel.  I may too end up with a Mavic one day.
2017-6-9
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Australia

milksteak Posted at 2017-6-9 23:53
The flight recorder shows it was 76m away at 11m height moving forward at 1m/s was when video feedback started cutting out (stutter) and the drone stopped responding to me.  

Yeah, I can't wait for the remote!!  I've stopped flying since the app froze on me and the drone almost went into the lake for a drink of water.  Extended height and distance is going to be addicting, I feel.  I may too end up with a Mavic one day.

Spark certainly has a place but I think in some circumstances you may want to go the distance and the Spark isnt a marathon runner, more like a sprinter. Nonetheless I primarily bought it to pair to the goggles for some sick FPV runs. I have a few race quads at the moment and could not shell out $800 for a pair of analog goggles! WTF! Seriously! 40 year old analog tech for that price...who they kidding!!! So the Spark and the goggles seemed like a logical fit although they wont respond like a race quad but still should be quite stunning given the 1080P video and the goggles are awesome!
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GCBrent Posted at 2017-6-10 00:17
Spark certainly has a place but I think in some circumstances you may want to go the distance and the Spark isnt a marathon runner, more like a sprinter. Nonetheless I primarily bought it to pair to the goggles for some sick FPV runs. I have a few race quads at the moment and could not shell out $800 for a pair of analog goggles! WTF! Seriously! 40 year old analog tech for that price...who they kidding!!! So the Spark and the goggles seemed like a logical fit although they wont respond like a race quad but still should be quite stunning given the 1080P video and the goggles are awesome!

Don't think dji goggles are compatible with spark.
2017-6-10
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 01:27
Don't think dji goggles are compatible with spark.

According to DJI they will be very soon...

5. Remote controller required; DJI Goggles compatibility coming soon.
2017-6-10
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe the Spark uses a new HD WiFi transmission which has auto dual frequency banding between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz - this will help to prevent signal loss in more built up areas. Note that the Spark is not designed for long distance aerial videography but more short range flights to selfies. Even with a 1.2 mile range when FCC compliant in open areas free of interference the Spark cruises at around 12MPH and has a max 16 minute flight time off of one fully charged battery (probably 12-15 minutes in reality). To fly 1.2 miles as a constant speed of 12MPH would take just over 6 minutes + 6 minutes to return + battery warm up and compass calibration etc + ascend to 400' and descent to the ground - the flight time would not be long enough to reach these distances and all of that is of course in totally windless conditions which is not very often. The reality is that this is a selfie drone. If you want long distance then look at the Mavic or Phantom series.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GCBrent Posted at 2017-6-10 02:47
According to DJI they will be very soon...

5. Remote controller required; DJI Goggles compatibility coming soon.

I see where you put the number 5 but where are you getting that information from if you wouldn't mind letting us know.
Remember dji released crystalsky last November and we still haven't seen a single one yet.
2017-6-10
Use props
GCBrent
lvl.3
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 03:56
I see where you put the number 5 but where are you getting that information from if you wouldn't mind letting us know.
Remember dji released crystalsky last November and we still haven't seen a single one yet.

Thats from DJI site on the Spark down the bottom. Point 5.

http://www.dji.com/spark?from=homepage_banner
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GCBrent Posted at 2017-6-10 11:33
Thats from DJI site on the Spark down the bottom. Point 5.

http://www.dji.com/spark?from=homepage_banner

Good job GC ..
2017-6-10
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Hi, today we were trying to activate newly delivered  Spark but we had issues to connected through Wifi using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Using iPhone there were no issues at all. We 've noticed that by default Spark was using 5.8G band. When we changed that (using iPhone) to 2.4G the Galaxy S7 Edge was able to connect with the Spark. Is there any way to force 2.4G band in the Spark?
2017-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules