[Humor] Watch Out for this .800 Update Bug
1679 14 2017-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

I posted this on another forum this morning - and thought you guys might enjoy it as well . . .

Yesterday I updated the AC, RC and (1) Battery to .800. I took it out, flew the battery and everything was fine. This morning I connected my second battery, put the Mavic on the carpet and was getting ready to update that battery. I got interrupted and just let everything sit for about an hour - nothing had been powered up yet so no harm, no foul.

When I came back, powered up the RC and the iPad and then the Mavic, I got a Gimbal Motor Overload message! When I flew yesterday, everything was fine so wtf?

I powered off the Mavic and put it in the table where I could watch it power up and sure enough the gimbal was acting flaky. As I put the Mavic down, something small and black fell out onto the table. All I could think was something in the camera mount broke and I had visions of repairs.

I powered the Mavic up for a third time and everything was great - no gimbal error reported and the camera was level.

When I looked to see whatever this small black piece was, it was sort of soft and had small legs. Here it was what we locally call "Rolly Polly" bugs! I guessing it crawled from the carpet into the gimbal in the hour the Mavic was sitting on the carpet this morning.

Sorry to say, it was dead - I'm thinking it got crushed with the gimbal swing on power up. Count me one happy Mavic owner. I will not be leaving the Mavic on our plush living room carpet again.

Previously, this land was a hugh Christmas Tree farm so when we built our house, we greatly disturbed the existing ecology. Every morning, after a day or two of rain, my wife goes on a "bug hunt" and usually catches about 5 or 6 of these "Rolly Pollys" in the morning. I guess getting up before her and updating the batteries was not a great idea.

I'll try to get a picture of one of these little critters and post it up. Maybe DJI should suggest pilots with gimbal problem look for these little PITAs.

But - it did end well and I'm quite happy with the .800 update!

2017-6-9
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

So the update is fine and a bug just went into your drone? I am confused
2017-6-9
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Too funny.  Time to buy a Dyson vacuum!
2017-6-9
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Great story with a happy ending.  Cheers!
2017-6-9
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dyson is over price!!
2017-6-9
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Clare_G101 Posted at 2017-6-9 11:04
So the update is fine and a bug just went into your drone? I am confused

Yes - The bug fell out and the Gimbal is fine.  Sorry for the confusion!
2017-6-9
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

You've got to bee more careful next time. After bugs get into your Mavic, you butterfly in an open area. Insect your drone carefully for any debris or particles before flying or your aircraft may feel sluggish.  
2017-6-9
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-9 11:14
Dyson is over price!!

I agree.  I was searching for a diplomatic way to tell him to vacuum his carpet more frequently.
2017-6-9
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-6-9 11:04
Too funny.  Time to buy a Dyson vacuum!

No - just wait for my wife to do her morning "bug" hunt or keep the Mavic off the carpet!
2017-6-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great to see your were more worried about the Mavic than the carpet.lol
2017-6-9
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-6-9 11:19
I agree.  I was searching for a diplomatic way to tell him to vacuum his carpet more frequently.

It's not a "non-vacuum" situation.  These little buggers crawl in every night - maybe 6 to 8 at a time - whenever it rains.

No matter how the houses in the neighborhood are sealed - these little critters find a way in.
2017-6-9
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-9 11:16
Yes - The bug fell out and the Gimbal is fine.  Sorry for the confusion!

No you're fine! Just my slow brain, haha
2017-6-9
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-6-9 11:16
You've got to bee more careful next time. After bugs get into your Mavic, you butterfly in an open area. Insect your drone carefully for any debris or particles before flying or your aircraft may feel sluggish.

lol.  Thats good!
2017-6-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

you need DJI to update your vacuum.  
2017-6-9
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Thankfully - It's not the vacuum, it's the wife!
2017-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules