Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Travel Project Falling Apart Due to Slow Mavic Repair
1991 7 2017-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
Panama

I've been with DJI since the beginning, using their first Phantom drones, up to the Phantom 4, now I've moved to something a bit more portable. The Mavic is essentially the perfect drone travel companion and I absolutely love everything about it.

Up until about a week ago that is.

I'm doing a trip through Central and South America, on an Island in Panama, I took the drone out of my bag to capture a pretty spectacular beach sunset and it just failed. "Gimbal Obstruction" error.

Internet research has led me to believe this is a common problem. It was well protected w/ gimbal guard, gimbal clamp and in the DJI case. I have no idea. Up until now it's been entirely reliable and I've taken it everywhere.

I'm really looking to DJI to help me come to a resolution to the problem, but they are being unhelpful. On the one hand I'm told it's a manufacturer defect, on the other hand I'm being told I have to ship the device on my dollar to have it fixed. I will be living in Colombia for the next 6 months, I've basically failed capturing any footage from Panama, and the notion of sending the drone in for repairs and receiving it back in 2 months is very brutal, let alone dropping $200 on shipping fees for a defective device I paid $2000 CAD.

If this is a manufacturers defect, shouldn't the manufacturer be in charge of getting the device fixed and returned? It's bad enough that it just completely failed with what appears to be a common defect, "Google 'gimbal obstruction' mavic" and there are pages of similar problems.

I really just want to start flying again, I've already had to turn down jobs in Colombia from the lack of drone availability.

[CAS-691832-H0J9D3] CRM:0187000000610

2017-6-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We apologize that you’re experiencing difficulties and that must have been frustrating for you, I do feel the same way if I were in your position.
There is no official repair center in South America and the drone need to be sent in North America for warranty. Unfortunately, additional charges may apply outside DJI’s normal service areas like the shipping fee which need to be paid by yourself, and the turnaround time may be long. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
It would be better to bring it to a nearest recommended repair center, money and time will both be saved. Please refer to this website (http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers) to find nearest repair center for assistance. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we’d love to help.
2017-6-9
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
Panama

Hi Mindy, I appreciate the help.

I was referred during a support e-mail to a service center in Panama City, here is the place I was referred:

PIRUETAS S.A
Ave. Samuel Lewis, Obarrio Panama, Rep. Panama
507 263 4695

Are they able to repair my device under warranty?  I don't have the sales receipt as I'm traveling, however I have my bank statement from the store it was purchased, and since the Mavic hasn't been out for more than a year I'd be eligible. Can you confirm?

I've called, they said they can evaluate the drone, but they cannot replace it as they don't have stock for another 20 days. I am leaving for Colombia in 3 days, so I'd ask them to ship me the new drone to Colombia, or are there any places in Colombia that can repair the drone similar to Piruetas?

Assuming this doesn't work, from your repair center, I see there is a center in Costa Rica, should I just ship the drone there? and they can ship me the repaired drone in Colombia?

What is the best option?

Thanks,
Adam
2017-6-11
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
Panama

(I should mention, that my drone was purchased in Toronto, Canada.)
2017-6-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans01704c6f Posted at 2017-6-11 09:50
(I should mention, that my drone was purchased in Toronto, Canada.)

Adam, as you know, we do not provide international warranty, since you purchased it in Toronto,Canada. I  would recommend you send it to the North American Repair Center for service. If this is a manufacturers defect, we'll repair or replace it under warranty in North American Repair Center.
2017-6-11
Use props
fans01704c6f
lvl.1
Panama

"As I know"? I did not know that. That seems a bit crazy, why would you not cover warranty repairs in international recognized DJI service centres when presumably a huge portion of your clients are using the device for travel footage and photography. I'm a photographer traveling in South America on assignment for 6 months, so my only option is to fly back to Canada and wait 20 days for my drone? or pay $300 to ship the device to California and wait in Colombia?

Up until now, every person I've talked to at DJI has recommended sending it to a nearby service centre (Costa Rica or Peru).

In fact, today I was ready to send the device to Costa Rica based on the feedback from a live chat operator.

Mindy said that turnaround time would be long and I'd have to cover the shipping costs to North America. Why can't I just get it fixed at a service center here?

I've looked online, there is plenty of people documenting that the spontaneous "Gimbal Obstruction" error is indeed a manufacturers defect and is fixed UNDER warranty from DJI.

I just want to get my $2000 drone fixed and flying again.

2017-6-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans01704c6f Posted at 2017-6-12 10:00
"As I know"? I did not know that. That seems a bit crazy, why would you not cover warranty repairs in international recognized DJI service centres when presumably a huge portion of your clients are using the device for travel footage and photography. I'm a photographer traveling in South America on assignment for 6 months, so my only option is to fly back to Canada and wait 20 days for my drone? or pay $300 to ship the device to California and wait in Colombia?

Up until now, every person I've talked to at DJI has recommended sending it to a nearby service centre (Costa Rica or Peru).

The nearest service center would be in Costa Rica if your travel in Columbia. You should call them firstly to confirm if they will help to fix the gimbal and the cost. Since it's not our official service center, I'm not sure if they will charge from you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Costa Rica.png
2017-6-14
Use props
Anatoliy Soloshenko
lvl.1

Ukraine

I plan a trip to Italy in October-November 2019, I would like it to be not a single city like Rome or Florence, but a trip around the country. We live in Norway and want to go somewhere in the south, and every time we strive to get the most from the vacation. I travel with my family. I would be grateful for any advice, recommendation, experience in planning the route and organizing the trip as a whole. And if you know where to rent a car, tell us please, thanks.
2019-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules