DJI Restricted areas are CIRCULAR. All NFZ's are not Circular!
12Next >
7923 64 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

First my apologies on submitting a thread for my first post.  But I believe I have an interesting case here. TL;DR at the bottom.
I live in Columbus, GA.  There is a NFZ here for Fort Benning, one of the largest military installations in the country, home to our military's infantry training.  Granted, I would never fly my Mavic here, and there is a NFZ over the area anyway.

Well, for some reason, DJI created a HUGE circle to cover this entire base, but since they only use circles to zone off restricted areas, my ENTIRE city of Columbus, GA is encompassed in it (population quarter million).  This NFZ is not supposed to be circular.  

Here are three different sources of what the restricted zoning looks like for Fort Benning:

Here is DJI's incorrect zoning (which seems to be a huge "circle" to encompass the entire zone)

As you can see, DJI basically placed an entire circle to sufficiently cover the entire restricted airspace.  Which in turn, ENGULFS my entire city of Columbus, GA.  I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.  
Has anyone out there ran into this issue?  This basically makes my drone a paperweight.  

Thanks for reading,
-Heartbroken Mavic flyer.  

TL;DR DJI uses circles to zone off restricted areas.  But in doing that, they covered my whole city in error.  I can't fly.
2017-6-11
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

There was another thread created yesterday for this same issue in the same location. I don't know if that one's also yours or not, but I already replied to it.

I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Did you specifically send an email to flysafe@dji.com, and how long has it been since you tried to contact them?
2017-6-11
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is interesting that DJI would just do that with no explanation.
2017-6-11
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-6-11 14:22
There was another thread created yesterday for this same issue in the same location. I don't know if that one's also yours or not, but I already replied to it.

I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.

It’s been since Friday. I understand they probably don’t work on the weekend so I will probably call in tomorrow.
Thank you for linking that other thread!! I feel a little solace that my fellow Columbus drone flyers are feeling the injustice! Lol.

These guys are on the top of the drone totem pole. did They not foresee this? The larger the area, the more unnecessary zones you will wrongly cover! Common sense!
2017-6-11
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Good thing there are zero new restrictions LOL. This hit me last week, can no longer fly in my yard, since there is a School 2 miles away, but the general consensus on the forum was that I should have known this, even though its not an FAA NFZ.
2017-6-11
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

mmv|Creative Posted at 2017-6-11 15:46
It’s been since Friday. I understand they probably don’t work on the weekend so I will probably call in tomorrow.
Thank you for linking that other thread!! I feel a little solace that my fellow Columbus drone flyers are feeling the injustice! Lol.

It's not true that the NZFs must be circles.  There is an NZF near Houston that ends at the county border, and that is a polygonal edge.  So hopefully, things will get resolved.
2017-6-11
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-6-11 18:44
It's not true that the NZFs must be circles.  There is an NZF near Houston that ends at the county border, and that is a polygonal edge.  So hopefully, things will get resolved.

no I completely understand that NFZ's come in all shapes and sizes.  However, DJI is zoning as circles only.

Now, if you are stating that you found a DJI zone that is non-circle, Please tell me which one it is.  That would be great news to my case!
2017-6-12
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-6-11 18:44

no I completely understand that NFZ's come in all shapes and sizes.  However, DJI is zoning as circles only.

Now, if you are stating that you found a DJI zone that is non-circle, Please tell me which one it is.  That would be great news to my case!
2017-6-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

can no longer fly in my yard, since there is a School 2 miles away,

What has school got to do with it?

Related: I thought there was a thread last week explaining some of the changes in firm/software were related to elongating NFZs.  I haven't flown since then, so I don't know if my local airport NFZ has changed or not.
2017-6-12
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

mmv|Creative Posted at 2017-6-12 08:15

I was all set and ready to give you instructions on how to find the place I was talking about but the map has changed and the NZF I mentioned is now a circle!  I promise that it didn't used to be.

On the other hand, the uncontrolled airport near my house is now correctly identified as a warning zone only, and the radius has gotten smaller.  It took quite a while for that to happen and it's a net win for me, anyway.  I never got a notification of the change either, so I guess... be patient?

Sorry, that really is a bummer.
2017-6-12
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

So, Just wanted to update where I am with this issue, incase anyone is in the same situation.  Its not good news. ive been fighting this battle for the past week going back and forth with DJI.

They are insistent for me to get Authorization to fly. But how the heck am I supposed to get authorization to fly in a military restricted zone for Fort Benning? Do they really think that one of the largest military installations in our country is going to give a hobbyist an authorization to fly over restricted air space?

So mind numbingly frustrating. All they keep telling me is, "sir, I understand, but we cannot let handle that request, please contact flysafe@dji.com". I tell them, I have contacted THREE times to that address, and they keep rejecting my request telling me I need authorization (which is impossible to get). ARGHHHHHHHH. I have a $1300 paperweight with accessories.

I am still fighting this fight. But man, im losing motivation.
2017-6-17
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I am guessing DJI NFZ are circular for practical reasons.

For a circular NFZ you just have to specify a single co-ordinate and a radius. For a more complex polygon NFZ, you will have to specify numerous co-ordinates.

Every DJI drone has to have the NFZ's of the entire world. Programming polygonal NFZ's instead of simple circular ones would make the NFZ database much larger and cumbersome.
2017-6-18
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

mmv|Creative Posted at 2017-6-17 14:13
So, Just wanted to update where I am with this issue, incase anyone is in the same situation.  Its not good news. ive been fighting this battle for the past week going back and forth with DJI.

They are insistent for me to get Authorization to fly. But how the heck am I supposed to get authorization to fly in a military restricted zone for Fort Benning? Do they really think that one of the largest military installations in our country is going to give a hobbyist an authorization to fly over restricted air space?

Keep up and fight your case. DJI must not be allowed to decide where you have to fly your drone or not. It's a question between you and your own government and not DJI !

Best regards, Leif.
2017-6-18
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

I agree a circle is easier to store, but I'm positive that previous to this update they allowed non-circular NZFs.   So this is an "improvement" to squeeze as much as they can into the system.  It appears that they need to be able to have options to store some NZFs as polys, or even a combination.

We all need to take this seriously.  I have started seeing all sorts of areas that are now off limits that shouldn't be.
2017-6-18
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

Seeker there are at least 20 regular fan boys here that will argue till the end that there are no new restrictions, although they seem suspiciously absent now that these problems are developing. I have spent/wasted a good part of a week arguing with DJI that a school near me(2 miles away) is not an NFZ.  Ill just have to stick to flying at the airport since there is no restriction there. I feel your pain
2017-6-18
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

Panaceabeachbum Posted at 2017-6-18 18:16
Seeker there are at least 20 regular fan boys here that will argue till the end that there are no new restrictions, although they seem suspiciously absent now that these problems are developing. I have spent/wasted a good part of a week arguing with DJI that a school near me(2 miles away) is not an NFZ.  Ill just have to stick to flying at the airport since there is no restriction there. I feel your pain

Sorry, a school?  I ha an Enhanced Warning Zone near me, but all you have to do is tic the check box.  Are you saying that the school is a "Restricted Zone"?  That is, it shows up red on the map:

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

Is it some kind of  prison or juvie center, because otherwise, that seems pretty weird.
2017-6-18
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

So another update to this story.

Seems like DJI is aware of this Circular issue, and understanding that the circular NFZ's are grounding a lot of drones incorrectly.
What the guy suggested (he never flat out stated, I had to "stumble" on it on my own) is that I submit NFZ unlock requests for all areas OUTSIDE the restricted airspace -- that are STILL inside of the incorrect NFZ.
Sorry if that is hard to follow, but basically he is unlocking me where I SHOULD be able to fly, and not where the big fat lazy circle is preventing me in error.  

So I have to submit like 5 different NFZ unlocking requests (without approval!)  with different coordinates to map my whole city in circles.  And since there is an airport smack dab in the middle, I have to make sure I dont request that area, or I will be struck down.

To summarize.  DJI seems to be keeping the HUGE incorrect NFZ in effect, but they are allowing me to fly by submitted NFZ unlocking requests for the areas i SHOULD be able to fly -- every three months.  

This has to be the stupidest sh*t ive ever witnessed.  This process is so screwed. But what can I do at this point, other than sell my drone and go with another manufacturer.  Which I probably won't do.  Anyways, just wanted to give the update.
2017-6-20
Use props
Mr2MkII
New
United States

Man, I'd be incredibly frustrated in your position.  I'm fortunate not to have such broad NFZs near me, but I really don't like DJI being "Big Brother" and taking the decision to fly out of our hands.   I'm a current FAA Certified SEL pilot, and I know, and obey the rules... I don't appreciate DJI restricting me and then forcing me to apply to give me temporary clearance.  I should be able to submit my Pilot Certificate and clear the majority of the restrictions while I'm logged in.   Especially when I rarely fly higher than 100', and can go fly my 450/600 helis, model planes, racing quads, etc...with no hesitation (flying by AMA guidelines).    I understand not everyone is a trained pilot, and they are protecting certain airspaces (lord knows I don't want to fly a real airplane into a drone).  That said why can't the airspace limits (outside of the airport/bases) only start at 100' AGL or so?  That would at least allow many people to fly around their home/yards/etc ...sure you many not get the high vantage spots, but it'd be something!
2017-6-20
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

mmv|Creative Posted at 2017-6-20 06:54
So another update to this story.

Seems like DJI is aware of this Circular issue, and understanding that the circular NFZ's are grounding a lot of drones incorrectly.

Yes, this is a real pain.

This isn't anyone's choice.  You can imagine that even DJI is unhappy with this.  Someone up the chain made this decision without thinking of the ramifications, and now they're stuck with it too.  I think they must have realized something early but they're always under pressure to do everything fast...  After this is over, look at the enhanced zones on the east coast of Florida.  I don't know if it'll make you laugh of grimace more, but it's an interesting picture to be sure.

In the end, you have done the community a great service by posting, in principle, the generic work around for this problem.  That is a big deal, so thank you.
2017-6-21
Use props
fans93e324ba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32700 ft
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-6-27
Use props
P4rk3r3oy
New

United States

I also live in the area. After a phone call to Base Operations on Ft. Benning, that verified the air space as not their NFZ, gave number to Peachtree City FAA. They also verified the air space open, gave number to senior analysts Chicago FAA 107, verified airspace open. Can't get permission to non classified airspace. She suggested getting with UAS lobbyist since this is a DJI NFZ.
2017-7-13
Use props
P4rk3r3oy
New

United States

I have tried the website, I keep getting denied. I even place a 1 km circle request around my area and got denied.
2017-7-13
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-6-18 18:11
I agree a circle is easier to store, but I'm positive that previous to this update they allowed non-circular NZFs.   So this is an "improvement" to squeeze as much as they can into the system.  It appears that they need to be able to have options to store some NZFs as polys, or even a combination.

We all need to take this seriously.  I have started seeing all sorts of areas that are now off limits that shouldn't be.

Here's a suggestion for discussion:

Assuming
- that DJI is storing an earth's worth of GEO zones and may not have space for poly coordinates
- that DJI could implement a 3-D polygonal boundary algorithm (altitude included).

Some alternatives are:
-   to require online access at flight time to load local GEO coordinates - (really impractical and frankly stinks)
-   to implement a planning mode (a la B4UFLY) which will download and cache  map data and  GEO coordinates for the area(s) of interest.  At flight time, the cache could be compared with the local GPS location to determine if GEO data is cached (and current, within some time period).  Then you wouldn't need the whole world and GEO data could be more precise and more current.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks has been the establishment of a definitive  GEO-Fencing database for drones.    Few countries have them and even the FAA has only recently implemented theirs.

Food for thought:

In the beginning .... - before drones and before GPS - most civilian airport zones WERE circular (because most navigation was VOR-based - distance and radial).  Only with the advent of faster heavier aircraft have landing corridor zones required being extended.  That probably accounts for almost all Class D airports still having circular zones.
2017-7-13
Use props
P4rk3r3oy
New

United States

I tried again and got rejected. I get the same automated response saying I need to supply authorization or a form of hire. I am a hobbyist, not a professional. What exactly did you attach? Oh well, I have other crafts and need truck parts.
2017-7-13
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

P4rk3r3oy Posted at 2017-7-13 18:49
I tried again and got rejected. I get the same automated response saying I need to supply authorization or a form of hire. I am a hobbyist, not a professional. What exactly did you attach? Oh well, I have other crafts and need truck parts.

you will have to start a ticket with their nofly inboox, show them their map vs FAA (or another respected body of airspace maps). Then state how the NFZ is incorrectly covering the city.  You can even link the top post of this thread if you need to.  Then upload your ID, and wait to get a response.  If you do get a denial, then open a dialogue with the person handling your request and remain insistent that they incorrectly placed a NFZ over the city.

then resubmit your request, by only requesting areas not in Ft benning, or by the airport. and you should be good.
2017-7-17
Use props
azrael04
New
United States

Hi just got the new alpine white Mavic and I also live near the Columbus Georgia area.  The DJI NFZ is way off and a lot of places that I normally fly is included in their incorrect NFZ.  I went ahead and submitted a ticket to their no-fly inbox and see what happens.  Thanks for the heads up mmv | creative.  If I would have known this up front I may have gone with a different brand but I've heard nothing but awesome things about the Mavic so I'll deal with the incorrect NFZ until they hopefully can get it corrected.
2017-11-21
Use props
fansa3544918
New
Flight distance : 22746 ft
United States

mmv|Creative Posted at 2017-7-17 06:28
you will have to start a ticket with their nofly inboox, show them their map vs FAA (or another respected body of airspace maps). Then state how the NFZ is incorrectly covering the city.  You can even link the top post of this thread if you need to.  Then upload your ID, and wait to get a response.  If you do get a denial, then open a dialogue with the person handling your request and remain insistent that they incorrectly placed a NFZ over the city.

then resubmit your request, by only requesting areas not in Ft benning, or by the airport. and you should be good.

Any luck with getting to fly?
2017-11-23
Use props
azrael04
New
United States

I'm still talking with support, they want me to send them some screenshots showing where's its incorrect.  I'm just gonna grab the screenshots from above in this post and send them.
2017-11-24
Use props
azrael04
New
United States

Just wanted to provide a quick update.  When back and forth with support and finally sent them 3 different areas to unlock.  I asked that it be unlocked for everyone in the area but they said they would have to review.  I got three areas unlocked for myself, however, I recommend everyone open a ticket and get areas unlocked as the more tickets they receive the better off the chances to get them unlocked for everyone.
2017-12-1
Use props
AlejandroCalori
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18530 ft

Argentina

Well i've sent them an email with 3 issues around my area, like you said, they "chew" normal urban areas in that circle.

And they answered me this:

Dear Alejandro Calori,

Thank you for contacting DJI and thanks so much for the kind suggestions of NFZ issue.

--- The database of  GEO MAP : http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map is according to AIRMAP and designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, not to match any particular set of regulations that apply to a certain user.
However, I will forward your suggestions to R&D department for further investigation and updating.

---At present, do you need to unlock the NFZ you mentioned?
If so, please visit this link and submit an unlocking request. http://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock
2017-12-1
Use props
mav|SaberDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15151 ft
United States

Hi Everyone,

Seems we are still engaged with DJI on this.  Since I may be doing some flying for an insurance company soon I really hope they get this fixed soon, since I may have to shoot a house anywhere in the city.  I just submitted an unlock request as per your original post to see where that takes me.   I was really careful in my wording and used specific things from the FAR, so hopefully that and my remote certificate will help my, and eventually all of our causes.

Would love to hear how you guys are getting along with this.

Take care.
2018-2-4
Use props
mav|SaberDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15151 ft
United States

mav|SaberDrone Posted at 2018-2-4 13:32
Hi Everyone,

Seems we are still engaged with DJI on this.  Since I may be doing some flying for an insurance company soon I really hope they get this fixed soon, since I may have to shoot a house anywhere in the city.  I just submitted an unlock request as per your original post to see where that takes me.   I was really careful in my wording and used specific things from the FAR, so hopefully that and my remote certificate will help my, and eventually all of our causes.

All,

Got the unlock verification email this morning without any additional requirements or emails from or to them.  I unlocked a pretty sizeable chunk outside of the actual restricted space and the actual airport.  I plan on testing this tonight after work...will keep you posted.
2018-2-5
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

Hey, its the OP of the thread. I've been successfully flying my DJI drones within Columbus, via the unlocking by DJI.  Any area that "isn't supposed to be NFZ" they will unlock for you.  
I hate to see that so many people have to find this information in forums.  I feel like DJI should be proactive in this case, and make sure the purchasers are fully aware before buying - or at least there should be a message/notification that educates the user on how exactly to get the feaux-permission.  Its truly a bad business move by them.

Glad to see you guys flying though.  Cheers.
2018-2-15
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

mav|SaberDrone Posted at 2018-2-5 08:50
All,

Got the unlock verification email this morning without any additional requirements or emails from or to them.  I unlocked a pretty sizeable chunk outside of the actual restricted space and the actual airport.  I plan on testing this tonight after work...will keep you posted.

You can submit multiple spots to get coverage everywhere there shouldn't be an NFZ.  I submit 5 different sized locations every 3 months.
2018-2-15
Use props
CGA_Flyer
New
United States

mmv|Creative Posted at 2018-2-15 19:29
You can submit multiple spots to get coverage everywhere there shouldn't be an NFZ.  I submit 5 different sized locations every 3 months.

Hey man! Any tips on how to actually get the unlock to go through and be accepted?

I've submitted a few >1km slivers of Columbus, but keep getting rejected.

Thanks for fighting the good fight!
2018-3-23
Use props
Lonesome Crow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, I did grow up in Midland Ga, know Columbus quite well.  I got you two pictures of a app I use from  https://app.airmap.io.
One map that shows all the blue circles are those areas that hobbyist pilots can fly, while the map projecting much few circles is Part 107 Certified.  Looks as if the barely used airport (used to be quite busy when I was a kid) is still showing "COLUMBUS CLASS D Airspace requires FAA Part 107 waiver.  Automated authorization coming soon at or below 400 ft.   So, if you have your certification, you could be requesting the waiver via https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/.  

Hope this helps some.
2018-03-23_1444.png
2018-03-23_1444_001.png
2018-3-23
Use props
gtodd
New

United States

I totally agree. I bought a SPARK thinking it would be a great addition to starting up my YouTube, but I haven’t been able to even fly it in my front yard due to Fort Benning.
2018-4-1
Use props
GottliebPins
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Having to obey flight restrictions isn't a lot of fun I realize. People seem to complain about not being able to fly in their yards. Why would you buy a drone and only ever fly it in your yard? You might as well buy a long stick and attach a camera to the end. I have taken my drones all over the country, from the Atlantic to the Pacific from the mountains to the deserts. If I find a place I can't fly I move on to another area. Before I plan a trip I check online to see if the area is a safe zone. If it's not I don't go there. I don't complain about it. Hey I want to fly over that prison! Hey I want to fly a hundred yards from the airport! I have rights! I paid good money for this thing!  I demand to fly there! If I'm in the middle of nowhere and I get a warning and I see nothing on the map, no airport or government facility, if it will net me ignore the warning I fly, otherwise tough luck.  Sometimes I've taken off near an airport and received no warning at all, sometimes I've gone to fly somewhere I've flown before and suddenly it tells me there is an airport nearby. No point in arguing with it. Just be glad its still legal to fly.
2018-11-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

GottliebPins Posted at 11-15 14:27
Having to obey flight restrictions isn't a lot of fun I realize. People seem to complain about not being able to fly in their yards. Why would you buy a drone and only ever fly it in your yard? You might as well buy a long stick and attach a camera to the end. I have taken my drones all over the country, from the Atlantic to the Pacific from the mountains to the deserts. If I find a place I can't fly I move on to another area. Before I plan a trip I check online to see if the area is a safe zone. If it's not I don't go there. I don't complain about it. Hey I want to fly over that prison! Hey I want to fly a hundred yards from the airport! I have rights! I paid good money for this thing!  I demand to fly there! If I'm in the middle of nowhere and I get a warning and I see nothing on the map, no airport or government facility, if it will net me ignore the warning I fly, otherwise tough luck.  Sometimes I've taken off near an airport and received no warning at all, sometimes I've gone to fly somewhere I've flown before and suddenly it tells me there is an airport nearby. No point in arguing with it. Just be glad its still legal to fly.

I believe part of problem people (in U.S.) have with Flight Restrictions comes down to:
1) Government via FAA can mandate a NFZ on a whim, no valid justification needed with no public say.
2) FAA including non-functioning airstrips into NFZ.
3) FAA failing to verify airports / airstrips have working phone numbers per national database.

Recently wanted to fly over forest area that happened to be near two airports and two helipads.
None of the main numbers worked.  One of secondary numbers did work for one helipad.
Via Google searches found company main number for other helipad.  Despite finding numbers for other two airports, none were working.
2018-11-15
Use props
JAgraphics
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Landbo Posted at 2017-6-18 02:09
Keep up and fight your case. DJI must not be allowed to decide where you have to fly your drone or not. It's a question between you and your own government and not DJI !

Best regards, Leif.

It's not quite that simple.

These are technically aircraft. It DJI want to import and sell aircraft in a country they have to do so with the agreement of the Government in that country. DJI, in fact any  UAV manufacturer will want to play safe.

As for playing safe. IT is a matter of safety where UAV's can and can't fly.  IF DJI and Drone users don't play the game you will find you will need a license to fly any UAV.  That license can be taken away again.

So I suggest we all play nice.
2018-11-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules