"Hardware Decoding" option is gone?
5854 39 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Phantom 4 Pro on iPad Mini 4.  DJI Go 4 app.  Latest IOS and latest firmware on the P4P/Remote.  As I work to troubleshoot flickering video downlink I am getting, folks tell me to make sure "Hardware encoding" is turned on.  I dont have that option.  A friend of mine took a look and confirms the option is not there.

Does the Phantom 4 Pro or new Go App or Ipad Mini remove that option?  What am i doing wrong?
2017-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I think hardware decoding is in the iPad settings, not the aircraft.
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Montymelon Posted at 2017-6-11 15:24
Just checked- there is no longer a hardware decoding option in the app. This can perhaps be one of the reasons of the really bad video feed in the latest firmware release.

DJI is getting even more

What are you using the iOS or the Android version?
2017-6-11
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Montymelon Posted at 2017-6-11 15:24
Just checked- there is no longer a hardware decoding option in the app. This can perhaps be one of the reasons of the really bad video feed in the latest firmware release.

DJI is getting even more

glad it isnt just me.
2017-6-11
Use props
Montymelon
Banned

United States

2017-6-11
Use props
RonHarper
lvl.2

United States

Other people are also having the bad video feed problem.

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 7.15.36 PM.jpg
2017-6-12
Use props
Eric Oosterbeek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76847 ft
Netherlands

Same here too. I had my P4P unboxed 2 days ago and I kept getting the annoying notification a newer firmware is available, so I did install it.  Now the led on the controller is flashing fast red, green and yellow. According to the manual this means the HD downlink is disrupted what should explain the poor image quality.  I think I will rollback to the previous firmware version for I have some project to attend to. Customers don't like to wait.  I hope the tech guys from DJI are reading this too and will come up with a solution very fast.
2017-6-12
Use props
Rlucero
New
Flight distance : 2910 ft
Argentina

Hola tengo un iPad mini 4 con iOS 11 y no conecta DJI Go phantom 3. Saludos
2017-6-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Eric Oosterbeek Posted at 2017-6-12 16:16
Same here too. I had my P4P unboxed 2 days ago and I kept getting the annoying notification a newer firmware is available, so I did install it.  Now the led on the controller is flashing fast red, green and yellow. According to the manual this means the HD downlink is disrupted what should explain the poor image quality.  I think I will rollback to the previous firmware version for I have some project to attend to. Customers don't like to wait.  I hope the tech guys from DJI are reading this too and will come up with a solution very fast.

Eric, noting your post was 2 days ago, you may have already worked out that the LED is trying to say that the RC requires update. I assume when you said that you had a notification that a firmware update was required, that that meant the P4P. Once done, you then need to update the RC also, as DJI have obviously changed the code for the transmitters and both ends need to be in sync.
2017-6-14
Use props
J. Reddington
New

United States

After update my live video feed is awful too. Rebinding RC doesn't help. I had to revert back to old firmware. I wish DJI tested stuff before they released things
2017-6-14
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like Smart RTH the option to toggle on and off has been removed and it's forced ON!
2017-6-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Hardware decoding is normally found within the iOS device. The Go app does have a direct way to enable it via the Me>Settings section of the app. Try looking there and let me know if you still cannot find it.
2017-6-14
Use props
Gael
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15449035 ft
  • >>>
France

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-14 20:56
Hardware decoding is normally found within the iOS device. The Go app does have a direct way to enable it via the Me>Settings section of the app. Try looking there and let me know if you still cannot find it.

On an iPad Pro 9.7, nothing like that.
2017-6-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Gael Posted at 2017-6-14 21:44
On an iPad Pro 9.7, nothing like that.

Have you checked the Go app under the "me" section? It should be under the "settings" section.
2017-6-14
Use props
Rlucero
New
Flight distance : 2910 ft
Argentina

Rlucero Posted at 2017-6-14 15:53
Hola tengo un iPad mini 4 con iOS 11 y no conecta DJI Go phantom 3. Saludos

Hello I have an iPad mini 4 with iOS 11 and do not connect DJI Go phantom 3. Regards
2017-6-15
Use props
Gael
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15449035 ft
  • >>>
France

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-14 22:11
Have you checked the Go app under the "me" section? It should be under the "settings" section.

Do you mean that ? Camera quick launch view
2017-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Gael Posted at 2017-6-15 07:10
Do you mean that ? Camera quick launch view

I really do aplogize for the misinformation, they unfortunately removed the direct hardware decoding option from the DJI Go/4 apps in the most recent app updates. Given how much the app itself has been updated, you might not need that option for your particular set up especially since it's the iPad Pro. Just to make sure I'm on the same page with the troubleshooting so far, have you tried the following button combinations to make sure that the AC and RC are communicating properly?

Reset the RC:
* Turn on the RC, and leave the aircraft off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter and then turn the it off.
* While still holding the buttons, turn on the RC, then the aircraft and relink the remote.

Manually relinking the RC to the aircraft:
* Turn on both the aircraft and the RC.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the RC, which will produce a "D-DD" audio queue. This may take a few seconds of holding them.
* While still holding the buttons, press the wheel on the right side of the RC (ISO). The LED indicator on the RC will turn blue and it will constantly beep "DDDD".
* Use a pen to push in the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.

2017-6-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-15 11:35
I really do aplogize for the misinformation, they unfortunately removed the direct hardware decoding option from the DJI Go/4 apps in the most recent app updates. Given how much the app itself has been updated, you might not need that option for your particular set up especially since it's the iPad Pro. Just to make sure I'm on the same page with the troubleshooting so far, have you tried the following button combinations to make sure that the AC and RC are communicating properly?

Reset the RC:

Then what is the default?  Is hardware decoding always on now?
2017-6-15
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-15 12:05

That's what I've seen from DJI folks.
2017-6-15
Use props
J. Reddington
New

United States

BrianKushner Posted at 2017-6-15 13:29
That's what I've seen from DJI folks.

Well, then something else is causing the newfound awful live feed after the new firmware update.
2017-6-15
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

J. Reddington Posted at 2017-6-14 17:47
After update my live video feed is awful too. Rebinding RC doesn't help. I had to revert back to old firmware. I wish DJI tested stuff before they released things

J. Reddington -

You need to provide more specific information, what mobile device, operating system (iOS or Androd), operating system version, and aircraft do you have?  Also, what - exactly - is the live video doing and does it do this immediately regardless of distance of P4Pro from the RC or does it start after 10 minutes or longer?  What was the ambient temperature on the day you were having problems? Finally, confirm that your mobile device is on DJI's approved list below to run the DJI GO 4 app.  Once you provide this information, long-term DJI owners with your particular hardware combo can hopefully provide some useful insight and trouble-shooting help.

DJI Go 4 App - iOS Version v4.1.0.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.

DJI GO 4 App - Android Version v4.1.0.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.
2017-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-15 12:05

From what I was able to verify, the newest versions of the Go/4 app enables hardware decoding as default.
2017-6-19
Use props
IfIMUWhoRU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41125 ft
United States

If you're getting a broken/choppy video feed when using an iPad Mini 4, try changing the image transmission settings in the DJI Go 4 app from AUTO to CUSTOM, and then select the lowest bandwidth (4MBPS). That resolves the issue for me.
2017-6-30
Use props
zigs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11457 ft
United States

Another thing to check is what apps you have allowed to use background operation on your Ipad. Also, turn off any app's notifications if you don't absolutely need them. Your Pad may be processing a lot of stuff and you're not even aware.
2017-6-30
Use props
fans81504005
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

zigs Posted at 2017-6-30 05:11
Another thing to check is what apps you have allowed to use background operation on your Ipad. Also, turn off any app's notifications if you don't absolutely need them. Your Pad may be processing a lot of stuff and you're not even aware.

As of ver 4.1.2 and  4.1.3  The DJI Go 4 App for iOS  is broken.   PERIOD
You can limit it along  but it definitely  has problems.  PERIOD
2017-6-30
Use props
fans81504005
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

Sorry I meant Limp it along not limit
Im Broken it seems
2017-6-30
Use props
fansc629d008
Banned

United States

2017-6-30
Use props
fans9be5ffa4
New
Flight distance : 3 ft
Jersey

For android v7 galaxy tab s2 was either es file explorer or turning of developer options in settings. I am not going to rebreak the issue as it been a real pain just hope this may help other andriod users. I had green video on my galaxy s8 too. When I get a chance I will uninstall es file explorer and report back if it fixes. Safe flying
2017-8-4
Use props
fansd78a6b9a
New
United States

fans81504005 Posted at 2017-6-30 08:03
As of ver 4.1.2 and  4.1.3  The DJI Go 4 App for iOS  is broken.   PERIOD
You can limit it along  but it definitely  has problems.  PERIOD

Brand new Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, iPad 3 min wifi/cell, installed the latest update, firmware flashed on remote and aircraft and my video feed is unusable... even when I set the transmission speed down to 4mbps... Brand new drone and I'm afraid to fly it because I can't trust my video feed.
Jan 1st, 2018
2018-1-1
Use props
Tom Saavedra
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38415 ft
United States

J. Reddington Posted at 2017-6-14 17:47

Same here.
2018-1-2
Use props
fhturner3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413264 ft
United States

I have just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Pro to a Phantom 4, which means a change from DJI Go (v3) to DJI Go 4. I'm using an iPad mini 2 w/ the latest iOS 11.2.2. It worked (and STILL works) perfectly w/ the P3P and Go v3 app. With the P4 and Go 4 app, probably 1fps or less and choppy/green video. I haven't tried the Custom transmission channel yet, but I will tomorrow. What I HAVE tried is other iOS devices. My iPhone 7 and spare iPhone 6s both work perfectly w/ the P4/Go4.

What in the world is going on, and why no solution in half a year? I got this iPad mini 2 specifically to fly my drone with, and now w/ my shiny, new P4, the iPad is useless. Has anyone gotten any official feedback from DJI about this?

Thx,
Fred
2018-1-22
Use props
fhturner3
lvl.2
United States

fhturner3 Posted at 2018-1-22 19:35
I have just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Pro to a Phantom 4, which means a change from DJI Go (v3) to DJI Go 4. I'm using an iPad mini 2 w/ the latest iOS 11.2.2. It worked (and STILL works) perfectly w/ the P3P and Go v3 app. With the P4 and Go 4 app, probably 1fps or less and choppy/green video. I haven't tried the Custom transmission channel yet, but I will tomorrow. What I HAVE tried is other iOS devices. My iPhone 7 and spare iPhone 6s both work perfectly w/ the P4/Go4.

What in the world is going on, and why no solution in half a year? I got this iPad mini 2 specifically to fly my drone with, and now w/ my shiny, new P4, the iPad is useless. Has anyone gotten any official feedback from DJI about this?

UPDATE: Tried the Custom Image Transmission settings yesterday, and that seemed to help my issue. The lowest 4Mbps bandwidth setting worked well for smoothness, but image quality was noticeably reduced. Also tried 6Mbps, and that seemed to work; I believe 8Mbps did OK w/ less stuttering than the AUTO/10Mbps setting.

Maybe the stream is more compressed w/ the P4/Go4 setup, and is causing the iPad mini 2 to choke? The mini 2 has an A7 processor, where the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 I've used w/o issue have an A9 and A10. I have an old iPhone 5s with an A7 also that I might try to see if I can verify whether the processor is indeed choking, causing the issue.

Anybody else w/ observations/comparisons?
2018-1-24
Use props
La7zy
New
Flight distance : 4068533 ft
Australia

My Phantom 4 used to have lovely image transmission up to 5km with an Apple iPad Air MD793X/A.  Having not used it for a while, I just upgraded to:
  Aircraft: 02.00.0700
  Controller: 1.9.3
  DJI GO4 app: 4.2.4
Now I start it up, the status is nominal, the lights are all green, but the image transmission is awful - blacks out, goes green, stalls, stutters.  The thing is unflyable.  The iPad is on the current iOS 11.2.2.  I've tried changing the Channel Mode to Custom and 4Mbps, no joy.  I don't know what else to try, so I'm very frustrated and annoyed with my previously fantastic bit of gear.

Heeelp meee...
2018-1-29
Use props
fhturner3
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE AGAIN: Mine is still so dodgy that even the Custom Image Transmission settings only help some of the time, again w/ reduced clarity of video feed. The iPhone 5s (A7 processor) test was just as bad as the iPad mini 2, so it does look to me like it is at least partially related to the hardware configuration of the iOS device. But I think it is still a Go4 app issue, because the Go3 app + P3P continue to work flawlessly.

I double-checked myself, and the iPad mini 2 is right there on the outside of the P4 box, listed as supported. My P4 is brand new, so I've emailed DJI support as well, hoping that I'll get some "still-under-warranty" consideration here...
2018-2-9
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fhturner3 Posted at 2018-2-9 08:03
UPDATE AGAIN: Mine is still so dodgy that even the Custom Image Transmission settings only help some of the time, again w/ reduced clarity of video feed. The iPhone 5s (A7 processor) test was just as bad as the iPad mini 2, so it does look to me like it is at least partially related to the hardware configuration of the iOS device. But I think it is still a Go4 app issue, because the Go3 app + P3P continue to work flawlessly.

I double-checked myself, and the iPad mini 2 is right there on the outside of the P4 box, listed as supported. My P4 is brand new, so I've emailed DJI support as well, hoping that I'll get some "still-under-warranty" consideration here...

you are not going to like my reply but after a ton of turmoil in trying to get my ipad mini 2 to work again, i gave up and bought a brand new ipad mini - worked perfectly like my ipad 2 did at one time out of the box.  What clearly happened here is there was either an iOS update, aircraft update or DJI app update that just didnt play well anymore with the iPad 2.  Its unfortunate but like I said I tried everything - wiping the ipad to factory settings a few times....
2018-2-9
Use props
La7zy
New
Flight distance : 4068533 ft
Australia

My update: Yep, I tried it with a new iPad MP2J2X/A, and the video is now back to very good up to kilometres distance.  So, an easy $600 fix.
2018-2-17
Use props
fhturner3
lvl.2
United States

I have been in contact with DJI support via email, but it has not been much help. Always a different responder who throws out similar “troubleshooting” steps like emptying the cache, reinstalling the app, etc. Yano, Tier 1 stuff to help Grandma get her printer working again. Actually, 1 rep said he had talked to engineering, but that engineering didn’t have a solution other than to use another device for now. Except I bought my iPad mini 2 specifically to use for flying, AND it’s listed on the P4 box as compatible.

I just can’t believe it could be that difficult to fix when the Go v3 app works perfectly fine— they’ve got a control case right there to compare to! Anyway, I recently uploaded a video actually showing the green/tearing, and sent that to them. I’ll link here as well. Please email them with your results on this. Enough squeaky wheels and maybe we’ll get the grease...

https://youtu.be/W9Pnvdt5ffc
2018-5-1
Use props
fhturner3
lvl.2
United States

Well, I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but after updating to iOS 12 and the latest DJI Go 4 (v4.3.x), I tried my iPad mini 2 again (I've been checking periodically w/ new iOS and DJI Go 4 updates) the other day and it worked great!! Just like it used to be! I even went and tested on an iPhone 5s w/ the same chip, and that worked too. In fact, I kept the iPhone 5s at iOS 11.4.1 and Go 4 v4.2.26 (I think), and it worked just fine like that. So, perhaps the later v4.2.x versions of the app corrected it. Or maybe something got fixed in the latter versions of iOS 11. I will of course keep and eye on it, but for now, this looks (hopefully) fixed!
2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules