How to focus if NOT connected with a phone? Handwheel?
1102 7 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bykerg
New

United States

Please disregard my other post. I don't know how to edit or delete that post.

Newbie here. If I don't use a phone while shooting, how do I focus while using Osmo Pro. There is AF mode, but you know it doesn't do much.

Is the handwheel going to help?

Thank you,

2017-6-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

Osmo doesn't even record without connection to a phone. If you don't want to use a phone, you are better off with without camera with inbuilt stabilisation.
2017-6-11
Use props
bykerg
New

United States

It actually records without connecting to a phone. So why there is no way to focus?
2017-6-11
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

Did you mean, it records on the SD card? Cause I have a different experience, I could not find anything on the SD card at all.
2017-6-12
Use props
bykerg
New

United States

DTK Posted at 2017-6-12 15:52
Did you mean, it records on the SD card? Cause I have a different experience, I could not find anything on the SD card at all.

Yes, it records to the SD card in my case. Maybe there is a mode to set it that way. But by default it is doing it for me.

Are you using Osmo Pro?
2017-6-13
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

yes, Osmo pro. I have tried it because it is just taken too much time to set it up. And with the mobile phone attached to it, the whole thing is off center and creates a large twisting strain on the arm.
2017-6-13
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

The Osmo Pro (X5 camera) will indeed record to the card without having a phone... the phone is not needed at all for recording.

BUT... maybe I'm missing something, but how the heck are you framing if you don't have a viewfinder (the phone)?

And yes, you can use the handwheel for focusing (you'd need to mark the handwheel ring with distance marks, as I have), but I'm still not sure how you can frame with any reasonable accuracy.

Because you find it a pain to set up, you should really pop the 20 bucks for the wired video adapter.  It absolutely works like a charm, and now the Osmo is (almost) "instant on," you power up the Osmo and the DJI GO app instantly launches and is connected to the camera.  I'll agree previously it was a pain in the rear to do the Wi-Fi connection, but this totally eliminates all of that.

As for it putting things off center and a strain on your arm, one of the little adapter brackets can be used to move the phone back into the same plane as the Osmo... I sometimes do that.
2017-6-21
Use props
chainmon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3268566 ft
  • >>>
United States

And as far as recording without the phone, the original OSMO will record without it as well. I do that sometimes as well. Most of the time I can't see the screen while outside. If I am filming outside and I don't have much shade, I will run and gun without the phone. I bet I shoot without the phone 20% time when outside.
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules