After update to .800 can't open DNG files
5830 38 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
evman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153383 ft
Australia

I've just updated my mavic to .800 firmware and now I can't open any of the DNG files i take in lightroom. They seem to be corrupt. jpegs and movies are opening fine. Has anyone else had this problem?
2017-6-11
Use props
wisswazz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67703 ft
Norway

I did not take a RAW photo before upgrading, but I am having problems on my Mac as well. Embedded preview thumbnail works, but the image itself is all black on Photos and Preview aps.

I'll try downgrade the firmware and see if it helps. Have you tried that?
2017-6-12
Use props
ars.fabula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706234 ft
Switzerland

I'm on Linux (Ubunutu) and have no problem reading .800 DNG files.

Try this tool (runs on Linux, Mac & Windows)
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

2017-6-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Try reverting to an earlier firmware and then reinstalling .0800. Works fine for me, but I've seen reports where DNG meta data is incompletely written to the file, which trips up apps that are expecting info like bit depth and size.  
2017-6-12
Use props
Andicot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1137044 ft
Italy

I have problem with the preview on MacOs Sierra, the DNG images are all black, but is fine if open with software like photoshop.
2017-6-12
Use props
wisswazz
lvl.1
Norway

My workflow for images are all Mac-tools for now, so this is setback for me. Tried to install .700 and back to .800 now. Same issue in both FW versions.

@Ex Machina, read your replies to other threads. What's your suspicion, Hardware of Firmware issue? OR should I try to revert further back than .700?

My RAW files are not showing if I run them through DNG converter either. Examples of raw files. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4oRoJwXX87Yc05TSTZCWlFRZnc

I bought my Mavic through a reseller, and I am afraid that if I make a swap I'll get one with the same issues.
2017-6-12
Use props
Andicot
lvl.2
Italy

wisswazz you have problem also with .700? I try also reset factory setting and refresh to .800 without result.
2017-6-12
Use props
fansbbf88d7b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1457172 ft
Italy

reverting to an earlier firmware and then reinstalling .0800 not solve the problem for me, i have downgraded to .700 and DNG was fine, re-upgraded to .800 and problem returned... I have contacted DJI support and they know the problem but for now they will not correct it... we just have to downgrade to .700 and hope for a new firmware as soon as possible...
2017-6-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

wisswazz Posted at 2017-6-12 13:21
My workflow for images are all Mac-tools for now, so this is setback for me. Tried to install .700 and back to .800 now. Same issue in both FW versions.

@Ex Machina, read your replies to other threads. What's your suspicion, Hardware of Firmware issue? OR should I try to revert further back than .700?

Argh, Weird. I'm not sure whether the problem lies in hardware or software, since it seems to be working fine for most of us. If DNGs work with .0700 I'd revert and stay there until DJI figures out what the problem is -- def report it to DJI, though. It's sounding like it's a known problem, judging from some posts after yours, but the more people report the problem the faster it will get fixed..

Did you buy the Mavic recently?
2017-6-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-12 17:15
Argh, Weird. I'm not sure whether the problem lies in hardware or software, since it seems to be working fine for most of us. If DNGs work with .0700 I'd revert and stay there until DJI figures out what the problem is -- def report it to DJI, though. It's sounding like it's a known problem, judging from some posts after yours, but the more people report the problem the faster it will get fixed..

Did you buy the Mavic recently?

I just realized I've been viewing all my .0800 DNGs in Lightroom, seeing the Finder icon thumbnail, but not actually using Quick Look or Preview to see them render. When I do so now, they are also black for me. The .0700 DNG are fine.

I've compared metadata between both earlier and current DNG and can detect no difference, so this appears to be a different issue than what I originally proposed, and suggests this is, indeed, a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

Again, .0800 DNG do open in Lightroom for me, so the advice to the OP to revert and/or try reinstalling still holds.

Bug report submitted.

2017-6-12
Use props
wisswazz
lvl.1
Norway

It was getting late yesterday when I was testing, and it might be that the .700 FW worked. The .600 does at least. The changelog says that they did some adjustments to DNG/RAW colours in this version.

I am also a bit unsure if I needed to process through Adobe DNG converter to make it work, will do some more experiments later and post my results.

2017-6-12
Use props
fansbbf88d7b
lvl.1
Italy

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-12 20:18
I just realized I've been viewing all my .0800 DNGs in Lightroom, seeing the Finder icon thumbnail, but not actually using Quick Look or Preview to see them render. When I do so now, they are also black for me. The .0700 DNG are fine.

I've compared metadata between both earlier and current DNG and can detect no difference, so this appears to be a different issue than what I originally proposed, and suggests this is, indeed, a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

i have 2 images, one take using .700 firmware and i can see using mac preview and one using .800 firmware that i cannot watch using mac preview, so i still use .700 firmware donwgraded from .800.
Otherwise i have downloaded the free app Raw Exposure for MAC from iTunes  https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/raw-exposure/id1058757935?mt=12 and i can open also the picture take with .800 firmware, but for now i still stay with .700 untill DJI (hope) will solve this annoying problem...

Regards,
Alf
2017-6-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

What version Lightroom are you using? They open fine for me in the latest Lightroom CC.
2017-6-13
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Remember DNG/RAW format is not a common supported format by image-viewers. DNG and other RAW formats are meant to be edited in RAW processing software like for example Lightroom, Adobe Camera RAW (Photoshop), DxO Optics and Capture One, and then exported to to typically JPG format for general use.

Firmware .800 DNG files opens fine for me in Adobe Photoshop/Bridge/Camera RAW CC 2015.5 (Camera Raw 9.10.1.750, May 2017).
2017-6-13
Use props
Andicot
lvl.2
Italy

Also i downgrade to .700 and the preview of DNG files are ok.
2017-6-13
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-6-13 08:20
Remember DNG/RAW format is not a common supported format by image-viewers. DNG and other RAW formats are meant to be edited in RAW processing software like for example Lightroom, Adobe Camera RAW (Photoshop), DxO Optics and Capture One, and then exported to to typically JPG format for general use.

Firmware .800 DNG files opens fine for me in Adobe Photoshop/Bridge/Camera RAW CC 2015.5 (Camera Raw 9.10.1.750, May 2017).
Exactly!
No need to downgrade if you are using those files as they were intended for with their legitimate programs
2017-6-13
Use props
fansc1bcd825
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270305 ft
Denmark

Also i downgrade to .700 and the  DNG files are ok.
2017-6-13
Use props
wisswazz
lvl.1
Norway

Yes, not sure what I was doing last night
2017-6-13
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-6-13 08:20

It's commonly supported on MacOS, which has system level support for DNG.
Even text editors can open DNG if they leverage that system level support.
2017-6-13
Use props
Maciej1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330719 ft
Poland

There is something weird with DNG from 0800 version - they open fine in last version of Lightroom, but processing AEB shots with Lightroom 2015.10.1 Photo Merge HDR creates very ugly results and deghosting in unusable... and I processed many sunset photos before from last month when I was flying with 0700 firmware with great results. Can anyone else confirm?
2017-6-15
Use props
ThePanoramaGuy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109049 ft
Germany

I created a ticket last week and described my problem but today i received a mail in which DJI recommends me to send the copter in for repair? Does this make sense? I returned to firmware version 0700 and the problem doesn't exist there. So how could this not be a software-problem?
2017-6-19
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

Add me.  I've just "downgraded" (upgraded really) to version .700.  On version .800 I get thumbnails but when the actual file is opened it is just a giant, high resolution, black rectangle.  I even tried the whole downgrade / upgrade again business and no bananas.  I'll stick with .700 until I hear it has been fixed, or there is a new version to try.  I'm not aware that version .800 had any great improvements anyway, so I'm not losing out.  I'm on Mac 10.12.5 (Sierra), in case that helps (no Adobe software on my Mac, I use Photos).  Version .700 works fine on this Mavic.  I had to get my original Mavic replaced as no firmware version let me use RAW files at all.
2017-6-19
Use props
Devi1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40436 ft
United States

I am having the same issue, i can not open the RAW files on my MAC. I see the thumbnail preview of the pictures but can not open them and when i import in Final Cut Pro, they are pitch black...

I can't understand why they keep releasing updates.. Every time i turn on my Mavic there is some stupid update... one after the other, over and over and over...... Enough with the updates!!! i am family sure things worked before the update and now it doesn't...
2017-6-20
Use props
FIRST DRONE
lvl.1
Canada

I had a similar issue with version .800. All of my .dng had a blue bar overlaid on top of the pictures. I created a ticket. they wanted me to factory reset. The only thing that fixed my issue was to downgrade to version .700.
2017-6-20
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Maciej1 Posted at 2017-6-15 12:04
There is something weird with DNG from 0800 version - they open fine in last version of Lightroom, but processing AEB shots with Lightroom 2015.10.1 Photo Merge HDR creates very ugly results and deghosting in unusable... and I processed many sunset photos before from last month when I was flying with 0700 firmware with great results. Can anyone else confirm?

I answered to a similar problem in an other thread and i took 30-40 aeb photos yesterday testing after upgrade to .800 and latest version of LR and no problems at all. Im lucky most likely hope it Will be solved soon for the one that are affected.
2017-6-20
Use props
BeachDuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29544 ft
Australia

I just tried the new .0900 update and the big black RAW file issue is still there for me.  I am, once again, downgrading to .0700, which works fine.  As it still doesn't sound like the new updates actually add anything for me I guess I'm not missing out.
2017-6-22
Use props
fansbbf88d7b
lvl.1
Italy

SAME!!! I just tried the new .0900 update and i cannot open DNG files!!! problem still there and support don't answer...
2017-6-26
Use props
MikeMikeMike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1978 ft
United States

I waited until .900 firmware, but it doesn't work either.
I can open DNG files in lightroom or photoshop. I can't open them in Preview or Apple Photos.
2017-6-28
Use props
MikeMikeMike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1978 ft
United States

I waited until .900 firmware, but it doesn't work either.
I can open DNG files in lightroom or photoshop. I can't open them in Preview or Apple Photos.
2017-6-28
Use props
fans77fdd308
New
Flight distance : 595364 ft
Israel

ars.fabula Posted at 2017-6-12 02:27
I'm on Linux (Ubunutu) and have no problem reading .800 DNG files.

Try this tool (runs on Linux, Mac & Windows)

Hi,
i have an issue openning the file only on the photshop and adobe programs.
in the windows 10 DNG is openning.
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

fans77fdd308 Posted at 2017-7-7 03:45
Hi,
i have an issue openning the file only on the photshop and adobe programs.
in the windows 10 DNG is openning.

Hey all, I fixed the corrupt DNG files and the black file Preview problem, which are two different issues -- details in this thread.
2017-7-7
Use props
Gary Katz
New
Flight distance : 595364 ft
Israel

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-7-7 04:33
Hey all, I fixed the corrupt DNG files and the black file Preview problem, which are two different issues -- details in this thread.

it isnt working on windows 10 and mobile what should i do?
2017-7-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Gary Katz Posted at 2017-7-7 06:51
it isnt working on windows 10 and mobile what should i do?

I downgraded and reupgraded firmware. Actually, I refreshed the current firmware first, which didn't help me but might help you. Good luck.
2017-7-7
Use props
fans986a4ca2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 216759 ft
Canada

It looks like the images are not being written correctly. Aborted import into Gimp has errors given as TIFF image Message:

"ASCII value for tag "Model" contains null byte in value; value incorrectly truncated during reading due to implementation limitations""
ASCII value for tag "Software" contains null byte in value; value incorrectly truncated during reading due to implementation limitations""ASCII value for tag "Make" contains null byte in value; value incorrectly truncated during reading due to implementation limitations"
and my personal favourite - "Too many error messages!"

Outcome - the image is incorrectly aligned, with severe offsets in X and Y pixels.
It may be fixed in some future update but I guess our images taken since the offending firmware update are just unusable.

Definitely not good news for a so-called flying camera....!
2017-7-9
Use props
DooMMasteR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38891 ft
Germany

I am also affected by the issue (everyone probably is) and had a chat with the DJI support -.- which was really frustrating.
They simply do not get the nature of the issue at all o.O

I got my Mavic 2 days ago and cannot downgrade to .0700, .0800 is the oldest version DJI Assistant allows me to install.

The support suggested to send it in so they could investigate the issue and send me a fixed one, which is an utterly bad suggestion but I was not able to turn his mind around to the fact, that this is a software issue.
2017-7-12
Use props
Greenkaktus
New
Russia

The same for me,  x900 firmware version get black DNG image on standart mac os apps. I found cheap tiny app https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/ ... 4280?l=en&mt=12
2017-7-27
Use props
JKIST
New
United States

Having the same issue. The only Application on my Mac that will open the .dng images is Affinity Photo. I'm really hoping DJI comes up with a fix soon.
2017-7-30
Use props
toddbeltz
New

Singapore

I'm getting the same issues. From my last update I have been unable to view or edit any of the DNG files. Can't open them with LR or PS. I use a Mac and it doesn't work. Tried on a friends PC and images can be viewed and edited with no issues. Strange thing is I can view and edit movie files taken during the same time but just not the DNG files. Contacted customer support and they were absolutely no help. Said that the issue isn't with DJI but with my software. Asked me to delete and reinstall my LR and PS because obviously it was corrupted. As this is not the case, I'm at wits end on what to do.

Asked DJI if I can go to earlier firmware. They said it was "impossible" and that I would have to wait until the next firmware update. Seems to me that plenty of people have successfully downgraded. How do I do this? Thanks.
2017-8-29
Use props
Zlight Photo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240052 ft
Malaysia

Hey Gang,

I've read all of the messages on this issue and can't tell if there has been a fix for this or not. I'm saw that new firmware has been released but I don't see anything about a fix mentioned in this which is pretty mind blowing! Please let me know if a fix has been found for this issue or if I still need to downgrade to the previous software version. Forgive me if i've missed something, as I am new to this forum!

Thanks
Z
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules