How will I know when motors need replacing?
3905 13 2015-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deanadamedge
lvl.1

Canada

hello,
I was wondering if anyone out there can advise when/how I would know when the motors need replacing (such as hours flying in use) as I want to avoid an in-flight failure!
2015-3-13
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'll probably upgrade to a new Phantom before your motors wear out. I've never seen specific numbers on the lifespan -- but, also have never seen anyone mention they had to be replaced due to wear and tear.
2015-3-13
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Good question.  I have that too.  I have seen a number of videos that talk about measuring vibration and others that have a digital tach.  I am not sure any of these would work on the Phantom.
2015-3-13
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

As you power up the Phantom and then do the CSC to start the Phantom motors, it is a good idea to watch the props spin up and if one of them seems to have any latency or hard start so to speak I would think is about as much as you could hope to see.
It would be nice if in the Phantom Assistant there was a current meter or something that would allow you to monitor the four motors while running (props off of course)
2015-3-13
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Northofthe49th, that latency and/or other speed related issues are usually caused by bad ESCs. But, sure, it could be related to the motors too.
2015-3-13
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Does a motor heat up more than the others if the bearings are going out?  I was thinking about checking the motors for heat buildup after a flight from time to time?
2015-3-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-14 01:02
Does a motor heat up more than the others if the bearings are going out?  I was thinking about check ...

You should do that after every flight, part of the post flight routine.
2015-3-13
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-14 01:04
You should do that after every flight, part of the post flight routine.

Thanks again, Gerry
2015-3-13
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

WOW This is good chance for someone to write a simple program to test motors and ESCs.  {:3_48:}  
2015-3-13
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-14 00:59
Northofthe49th, that latency and/or other speed related issues are usually caused by bad ESCs. But,  ...

Especially if you are taking off from dusty ground or sand etc. none of that is good for the motors and in that case nothing to do with the ESC unless the ESC over works to try to run the motor then you could have multiple problems...
2015-3-13
Use props
deanadamedge
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks guys...so, basically, there is no way to check other than 'keep an eye on it'...
2015-3-14
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

deanadamedge@me Posted at 2015-3-15 05:50
Thanks guys...so, basically, there is no way to check other than 'keep an eye on it'...

Pretty much visual, noticing any extreme heat under the motor, listening if something sounds vastly different from last flight to next or on landing. I will often just spin the prop one quarter or half a revolution just to make sure they feel the same, that is about it.
2015-3-14
Use props
deanadamedge
lvl.1

Canada

OK...many thanks...
2015-3-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I carry a can of compressed air and use it on the motors often, especially when flying in or over sand.  Suggest the same.  Will open her up at least monthly and spray out the insides and do a full inspection.  If flying in dust or sand will inspect more often.  Any landing in sand needs a full can of compressed air before flying again.
2015-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules