Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there anyway to boost the signal range?
8078 14 2017-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
weebed
New
Flight distance : 105453 ft
United States

I typically fly in empty fields or parks with little to no trees or anything that would obstruct the signal, but I cant get my drone that far without having it lose signal with the camera and the RC. Is there anything I could do to make the distance a bit more?
2017-6-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

A windsurfer is cheap and will clip right onto your existing control antenna.  It will extend your range provided you aim it properly.  Try that.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ ... windsurfer&_sacat=0

Re your FPV, try aiming more carefully and be sure you're flying at an adequate height.

If you're still not happy with range, there are other more expensive and complicated things you can do...

2017-6-12
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

For camera / video - you need to change the WiFi antenna system from the internal plates in RC.

The external antenna is the 5.8ghz command signal and as Mark says --- Windsurfer does that --- BUT if you change the WiFi antenna - the new system will also change the 5.8 antenna .... so you will get improvement of both video and control signals,

There are two main contenders for this ....

Argtek about $40 - 50 for kit

DBS Itelite about $110 or more for kit.

I use the Argtek and get over 2000m in open clear area and about 1000 in residential areas.

There are other modifications you can do once you have one of those two fitted --- I added powered amplifiers to both WiFi and 5.8 which gave me over 4800m .... but to be honest the video lag due to distance then was starting to be seen - so I had achieved my goal of extreme range and reverted to standard Argtek and my 2000m ......

Nigel
2017-6-12
Use props
Nelsonlee
Captain
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

2017-6-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Hi Nelson ... I am very happy with my Argtek but one small item needs slight change.

The three threaded antenna stubs that stick out of the cross bar ready for antenna to be screwed on - the number of threads available after the fixing nut is just a little short. Its ok for Argtek Antenna for most - but I notice if I try to fit extension lead or another item - I need about 0.5mm more to be able to fully get connection home and solid.

Just a comment - you posted the 4Pro setup ... this is the P3 standard section ...

Nigel
2017-6-13
Use props
fanscd911485
lvl.1

Norway

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-12 23:25
For camera / video - you need to change the WiFi antenna system from the internal plates in RC.

The external antenna is the 5.8ghz command signal and as Mark says --- Windsurfer does that --- BUT if you change the WiFi antenna - the new system will also change the 5.8 antenna .... so you will get improvement of both video and control signals,

Hi

Can you provide a link to the powered amplifier you are using? Or any good amplifer?

King
2017-6-13
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

There are various you can use and depends on way you wish to mount ...

If you use a Transmitter Tray then you have a wide choice and such as the Sunhans and its cousins are good :

2.4Ghz Video / WiFi ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152322 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or if you want to mount direct to Argtek for example as I did :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252475 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then we have the 5.8GHz control signal :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-5 ... hash=item2a80df663e

One point to note : The Argtek antenna stubs are with PIN ... and the boosters also have PIN ... so you need the FEMALE adaptors to screw on ...
If you want to have extension leads - then you need to use RP-SMA both ends, as normal leads have non-capped ends.

Power supply .... a 2S LiFe pack of 6.6V with a 5V BEC is good ... I used a 1500mAh pack from Hobby King. The 2.4Ghz booster ... the second one above is max 6V ... so that needs the 5V BEC ... but the last 5.8Ghz booster is fine direct of the LiFe cell.

Here's mine setup and achieved 4835m ...

Untidy but this when testing. I planned to migrate the boosters and battery to a tray :

Cheap from Hobby King - just needed small modification to sit P3S controller ....

But like I said elsewhere - in the end I removed the boosters and reverted to just basic Argtek.

Good luck

Nigel
2017-6-13
Use props
RADROCKET
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1110827 ft
United States

I purchased the DBS Itelite. I got a great improvement and I am surrounded by household WiFi. In a certain direction I can go about 8000 ft. Are you in the US ?
2017-6-14
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Radrocket gets 8000ft (2400m) with Itelite ....

I get 2500m (8200ft) with Argtek ....

I get 4500m (14750ft) with Argtek and twin Windsurfer on the centre antenna ....

I get 4835m (15850ft) with the boosters shown in previous post ....

Here's the twin Windsurfer setup (basically two glued together to get the length to match the Argtek 5.8 antenna) :

So that's about $50 for the Argtek and about $10 for the two Windsurfers ... about 1 or 2hrs to fit ... rest of life to enjoy !!

Nigel
2017-6-14
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

When it comes down between different range extenders different people will get different results with the same equipment. You can have some getting great range in similar types of areas, fields, in town, open, woods, and some not as great. Results will vary. I've gone out just over 15,000 feet across fields with tress around between the fields but not everyone in that type of area will. I don't know why but I can reach out a long ways. I use the Argtek with the 3 Omni-directional sticks. It'll come down to what you can afford and also how much modification you are willing to do. There are some good systems out there and also some pretty cool alterations to those systems as well. Good luck and I hope whatever you choose works well for you!
2017-6-15
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Nothing a room full of amps and a big antenna can't solve.

Now my problem is battery life.

;-)

2017-6-15
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-6-15 15:44
Nothing a room full of amps and a big antenna can't solve.

Battery life, I think you'll need to worry about the atmosphere with that setup!
2017-6-16
Use props
STRIDE8
Captain
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-6-14 06:13
Radrocket gets 8000ft (2400m) with Itelite ....

I get 2500m (8200ft) with Argtek ....

I think I'm going to install an ArGTEK.. Lately I haven't had confidence in my P3S due to the lack of distance with a windsurfer (400ft - then weak signal warnings)
2017-6-23
Use props
Michgolden
First Officer
United States

One thing to remember about the Windsurfer by itself is that it will only help with AC control, not video. If you want both you'll have to go to either the Argtek or DBS Itelite. Both require modification to your RC. The DBS Itelite a bit more modification than the Argtek.
2017-6-24
Use props
bkdroid13
New

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-6-12 16:36
A windsurfer is cheap and will clip right onto your existing control antenna.  It will extend your range provided you aim it properly.  Try that.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ ... windsurfer&_sacat=0

i am very happy. your commnet helped to me
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules