Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2015-8-23 03:12
Are you gonna do the batteries too?

i was thinking about it, i may do one and see.
2015-8-22
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Ok, before i put the p3 back together i thought i would do a video of the inside, so here you have it, in case you are curious

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=_MCQBQEbfAQ

In the video i show one of the stress cracks, please let me be more clear. that was not a "stress crack that appeared out of no where", it happened because i crashed it, so we cant really call it a stress crack as it sounds like a design fault. it was a pilot stress crack!!!
2015-8-22
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Love the black look.  But I wouldn't do it to my own due to the heat.  And as for practicality, I might be tempted to try a mix, making the rear 3/4 black, and the front white, so that it has a sharp contrast as viewed from the ground for orientation when locating it in the sky.  Maybe, maybe not.
Not able to view the last video. Takes me to a "create an account" page.
2015-8-22
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-23 08:24
Love the black look.  But I wouldn't do it to my own due to the heat.  And as for practicality, I mi ...

i will let you all know as far as black and over heating. im pretty sure thats why 3dr solo doesnt function, right?
2015-8-22
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Ok the clear coat has dried, started putting it back together, got as far as putting the vps module back. This wasnt designed for people with fat fingers!! will start the rest in the next couple days.
2015-8-24
Use props
starfighters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
United Kingdom

looks grat,but i wuould have painted only the bottom part wich is clerly visible ,the upper part, i would avoided,due to over heating problem.....
Anyway a stelt drone it's great
2015-8-25
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-23 06:34
Ok, before i put the p3 back together i thought i would do a video of the inside, so here you have i ...

When ever l try to watch the video of the insides, it takes me to my own page of youtube videos. lt doesn't link me to yours.
2015-8-25
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-22 12:33
once i put it back together and test flight it, without a gimble/camera, i ll video it in flight(  ...

If you do all that... Then no way that pic is you! LOL
2015-8-25
Use props
spheasant1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray's "Flight Raptor" !
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-8-25 20:38
If you do all that... Then no way that pic is you! LOL

That pix is my son
2015-8-25
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-25 20:21
When ever l try to watch the video of the insides, it takes me to my own page of youtube videos. l ...

Same here straight to my homepage
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Stan1970 Posted at 2015-8-26 00:10
Same here straight to my homepage

Just open YouTube and search ray rokni
2015-8-25
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

found you!
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

hey, how r u? nice to finally meet u!! LOL
2015-8-25
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ha ha - all good here!
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

ok, i just put the p3 back together after having painted it black. reassembly, believe it or not is much easier than taking it aprt, and i didnt have any left over screws! i will put up a video once its all really back together and ready to fly

2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

my black p3p all put back together, imu and compass re calibrated. no gimbal right now. next to get black carbon fiber and paint the battery, set of prop guards(black and orange) and then pass it on to my 11year old so he will leave mine alone!

2015-8-27
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-27 21:55
my black p3p all put back together, imu and compass re calibrated. no gimbal right now. next to get  ...

Very nice job, Ray!
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-8-27 22:25
Very nice job, Ray!

Thank you. I will be flying it tomorrow, around 90 here and see about the over heating, being black. I know black absorbs a lot of heat but I still don't believe it's going to have a lot of negative impact. We will see
2015-8-27
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

Nice...all you need now is some of the black carbon fiber props!!  Was it hard to dis-assemble?
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-8-27 23:24
Nice...all you need now is some of the black carbon fiber props!!  Was it hard to dis-assemble?

Yea ill be getting those and paint couple batteries for him.
Taking it apart:
About 1hour to pry the shells apart, I didn't use any knives etc to pry them apart. Took my time and a lot of going back and forth
Another hour to take everything out to leave both shells totally empty.
I suppose next time it will take me half as long since now I know what to do.
SIDE NOTE: when I took the vps module apart, I found a very small "reset" type push button on the circuit board, I wonder what that is for? Since the only way to get to it is by taking it apart! It has to be something for DJI techs!! Anyone knows??
2015-8-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I painted mine also. Same reasons I guess - no more warranty, better visibility and looks cool. I didn't remove the boards, or landing gear. I masked the motors lED's, removed the Gimbal, but masked the visual flight controller. It's much more visible now in the air. One thing I noticed the other day was the unpainted battery reduced visibility when viewed from the rear. I actually had to turn it toward me to see it, it was about 500ft out and 400ft up, so I will paint the battery as well.
I can see no difference in flt characteristics after painting. Heat is not an issue, though I only fly one battery. I'm quite sure there is good of air circulation up there. My iPad mini can get plenty hot however, so I often put it in the refrig for 15 minutes before taking off. It seems they've solved the lag and break up problems though, because I don't notice it as much anymore.
I'm now eying the DJI black props. Good job Ray, yours came out great!
Behold:

DJI Black3.jpg
P3 Black.jpg
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-8-28 01:36
I painted mine also. Same reasons I guess - no more warranty, better visibility and looks cool. I di ...

Thanks, however if I decide to do the other p3, I'm going to do as u did without taking it apart. The only reason I took it apart was to fix she'll cracks and curiosity to look inside!!!
I just ordered 4 sets of carbon fiber props, 2 with white and 2 with yellow. I probably will paint batteries too.
2015-8-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-28 02:09
Thanks, however if I decide to do the other p3, I'm going to do as u did without taking it apart.  ...

I'm not exactly sure how to paint the battery. I don't see a sure way to remove the cover without breaking something. And I don't think I can satisfactorily mask off the button and LED's.
Your thoughts?
Oh - I just now painted my props just to see the difference, but I'm still getting the DJI props like you.
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-8-28 04:33
I'm not exactly sure how to paint the battery. I don't see a sure way to remove the cover without  ...

if i masked the tiny camera on vps module, i am sure you can mask the battery satisfactorily. some residue wil probably get in from the edges but can be cleaned off easily. i probably would use putty to mask the battery instead of tape. one thing to bear in mind; i would only paint the visible part of the battery when inserted, as you dont want anything to stop a good firm battery connection and locked!
as far as painting props, dont u think it is going to put it out of balance?

thanksBTW: yours looks much better painted than mine!! good work
2015-8-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-28 04:49
if i masked the tiny camera on vps module, i am sure you can mask the battery satisfactorily. some  ...

Thanks for the tips.
My props look good black. I painted right over the silver and black hubs and after repainted the silver by holding a 5/8 flat washer over the hub and painting the opening with silver car touch up I had. As for balancing - you are assuming they were in balance to begin with. (ha) This is just a little test till I get the new ones.
It's great being retired - six Saturdays and a Sunday.
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-8-28 05:45
Thanks for the tips.
My props look good black. I painted right over the silver and black hubs and ...

send a pix of the props on it so i can see, please. and u r probably right as balance
wow, i got 7 mondays!!!
2015-8-27
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

I plan to do this this winter but only the bottom side.
2015-8-27
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-8-28 07:41
I plan to do this this winter but only the bottom side.

oh come on! no flying zebras. at least paint the top bright shiny yellow!!!!!! come on
2015-8-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-27 16:38
send a pix of the props on it so i can see, please. and u r probably right as balance
wow, i got 7 ...

The battery and props came out nice. I used the paint you see in the pic. I couldn't see how to remove the cap from the battery so I masked the button and covered the LED's with a 1"x1/2" piece of label tape.
Also in the background you can see a little white wood platform leaning against the pegboard. I put 3 screws through it (triangle) that I use to level it and make IMU calibrations. I just put a digital level on it and adjust the screws. It works better for me than shimming.
I haven't checked the props for balance yet, but I'm not expecting difference. The paint went on very smooth.

Bk props and batt

Bk props and batt
2015-8-28
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Here's thought regarding peoples' concerns of the color making the P3 run too hot in the sun.
I really doubt the Dji plastic is much of a heat sink so the transfer is very little. It's certainly not like an aluminum skin. And it is pretty well ventilated.
2015-8-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2015-8-29 00:19
Here's thought regarding peoples' concerns of the color making the P3 run too hot in the sun.
I rea ...

i have flown it today 4 batteries, temp is 90 and humidity is hell%. blue skies, blazing sun, went up 390' and flew non stop at top speed back and forth, did this thru 4 batteries. now i dont know what any of this will mean to you guys, it really cant be a scientific experiment as i dont have a way to measure the inside temp before take off and after 4 batteries flying and then do the same to my white p3 and compare temp results. but i may get bored one day and do exactly that and report back
2015-8-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I wondered if you had found the fountain youth, rayrokni!
2015-8-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-29 04:14
I wondered if you had found the fountain youth, rayrokni!

if you are referring to my enthusiasm for this hobby, let me explain
yes i truly enjoy flying it, to be honest i really couldnt care less about filming, now if i see something interesting, sure!!
it is as close to flying as i am going to get. people have told me to purchase other platforms, acrobatic quads or the solo et etc. i have tried almost all in the same class, and i will tell you this, if it wasnt for the DJI phantom3 i would have lost interest in the hobby!!
That is why i spend so much time doing different experiments, i have even messed up FW upgrades on purpose to see how to help others who do the same by mistake, spend a lot of time on this forum to try to help others and also enjoy the social aspect of it.

SO THE SHORT ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION IS: YES

thanks
2015-8-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-28 15:40
if you are referring to my enthusiasm for this hobby, let me explain
yes i truly enjoy flying it,  ...

I sure wish i could edit my post and add  "the fountain of youth"  on my android phone.  that was in reference to your message saying that your picture was that of your son.   But yes, these are exciting times, I just wish that I had more guts to fly my phantom in more places.  I am in Illinois and people are so negative,  I am just waiting for a cop to take my bird.

When I saw the video of you and another person from here flying in the mountains all I could think is that look at all of those hungry trees,  kind of like Charlie Brown's kite eating tree! LOL  
2015-8-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-27 08:55
my black p3p all put back together, imu and compass re calibrated. no gimbal right now. next to get  ...

Awesome job! Sure can see it better that's for sure!
2015-8-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-29 05:50
I sure wish i could edit my post and add  "the fountain of youth"  on my android phone.  that was  ...

i got u. as far as cops, they can not take your bird away for no reason, unless you are breaking the law. if you feel, better still, if you are sure that you are not breaking any laes then you need to be firm yet polite and ask for the code that they are using to confiscate your bird. the laws are pretty clear, fly below 400 and LOS, not near airports. apart from that if there are no local ordinances then you are safe to fly. just because people dont understand these wonderful CAMERAS yet does not give them the right to trample on yours.
i am going to film the main street of my town and the interesting historical building, i went and talked to the local PD captain and informed him of my intentions and explained to him what the P3 is. he told me that there are no ordinances that could stop me, and he said that he would inform on duty police officers to let me be, now this is a little town in west by god virginia where the movie DELIVERANCE was shot, (not really, but it is in WV)!!!! obviously i am going to do this on a sunday when there are not many people around, even though i have absolute confidence in the p3, still better to be safe.
2015-8-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-28 17:04
i got u. as far as cops, they can not take your bird away for no reason, unless you are breaking t ...

I have thought about talking to the cops,  I am torn between "better to ask for forgiveness, than permission" and being completely above board like you and risk refusal.  But yes,  for sure,  I would fly on a Sunday early  with very few people around.

In thinking about it further,  I agree with you, it is in the best interests of our hobby and to help educate the powers that be,   I am going  talk to the Cops, there's a small town that has a very nice park and a lake I would love to fly around.   It probably will help that I am not a young kid, I am 60 years old   (therefore more responsible, LOL)  Just don't ask my wife and kids   
2015-8-28
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-8-29 06:32
I have thought about talking to the cops,  I am torn between "better to ask for forgiveness, than  ...

sorry i think i gave the wrong impression:
i dont ask them for permission and i make sure they understand that i am not asking for permission. i merely inform them of my intention as a respect towards law enforcement.
this way they understand that i know the laws regarding flying my quad and will be hesitant to say no right off the bat.
2015-8-28
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-28 17:36
sorry i think i gave the wrong impression:
i dont ask them for permission and i make sure they und ...

Oh!  I gotcha,  really good point!   Thanks for clarifying this!   So far there are no State laws in Illinois regarding "Drones" except the for ones forbidding law enforcement from using drones for surveillance!
2015-8-28
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules