Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HarleyFlyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1356178 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-29 05:26
I don't agree
Yes .. some people use it occasionally, but it's still one of the least used features.
And it's quick and easy to reset the homepoint anyway.

It's probably least used in the past as the mini's didn't have a follow me mode - now the Mini 3 Pro does - I think there will be a lot of people using cycles/ motorcycles / kayaks/ motorboats etc who want the drone to follow them. It's a new feature, and we are only right now getting availability of Mounts to enable this use safely.

Bearing in mind that the latest firmware turns off wifi and bluetooth on the RC Controller when the drone takes off - what is the "Quick and easy" way to reset the Home Point to where the controller is at that moment ( assuming pulling the vehicle/whatever over to a stop to allow doing this safely)? This is a genuine question - not sarcasm...
2022-6-30
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

HarleyFlyer Posted at 6-30 03:45
It's probably least used in the past as the mini's didn't have a follow me mode - now the Mini 3 Pro does - I think there will be a lot of people using cycles/ motorcycles / kayaks/ motorboats etc who want the drone to follow them. It's a new feature, and we are only right now getting availability of Mounts to enable this use safely.

Bearing in mind that the latest firmware turns off wifi and bluetooth on the RC Controller when the drone takes off - what is the "Quick and easy" way to reset the Home Point to where the controller is at that moment ( assuming pulling the vehicle/whatever over to a stop to allow doing this safely)? This is a genuine question - not sarcasm...

I don't think you'd normally need BT or WiFi to update the home point. Go to Update Home Point in the menu, a window will pop up with a map and icons for the controller or drone.

Easy to test in a park as I mentioned before.
2022-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HarleyFlyer Posted at 6-30 03:45

what is the "Quick and easy" way to reset the Home Point
Click here and you get three options for where you'd like to reset it.

Screenshot_20220627-214756a.jpg
2022-6-30
Use props
HarleyFlyer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-30 04:43
what is the "Quick and easy" way to reset the Home Point
Click here and you get three options for where you'd like to reset it.

I did try that yesterday - but it wasn't obvious it was doing anything - I'll do the park thing and try walking to another area and hitting the controller icon and see if the homepoint moves. I feel like I will have to override the wifi connection to my phone to be on for this to work at all - but there are several threads saying that the RC Controller has it's own independent GPS (GNSS) signal, and the latest manuals released seem to bear that out... Now that the firmware on the drone - switches off wifi and bluetooth when you take off - it's not so quick to switch it all back on every time you fly - particularly whilst riding a motorbike...
2022-7-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HarleyFlyer Posted at 7-1 01:55
I did try that yesterday - but it wasn't obvious it was doing anything - I'll do the park thing and try walking to another area and hitting the controller icon and see if the homepoint moves. I feel like I will have to override the wifi connection to my phone to be on for this to work at all - but there are several threads saying that the RC Controller has it's own independent GPS (GNSS) signal, and the latest manuals released seem to bear that out... Now that the firmware on the drone - switches off wifi and bluetooth when you take off - it's not so quick to switch it all back on every time you fly - particularly whilst riding a motorbike...

I feel like I will have to override the wifi connection to my phone to be on for this to work at all
You shouldn't be needing wifi or bluetooth for anything while you're flying.

2022-7-1
Use props
HarleyFlyer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'll let you know once I've had a chance to see if it finds the RC controller, without wifi or bluetooth switched on, once I have moved locations - it has to have some method of locating the RC Controller to be able to update the homepoint surely? I won't be able to pinpoint where I am on the map manually, if I am riding a bike...

It's a shame there isn't just a mode where in follow me, it can just update the homepoint automatically every couple of minutes based on your controller location (as an option).
2022-7-1
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The RC has GPS, there's no debate about it. That's how you're able to update the home point to it's location.
2022-7-1
Use props
djiuser_c3dXEJGibbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16942 ft
United Kingdom

timw2000 Posted at 5-20 02:14
Hi Stephen,

Please see pictures below. This shows screen showing "locating..." in the top left hand corner. If I then click on this, it shows my location as in the Atlantic ocean (0°00'00.0"N 0°00'00.0"E).

I am having the exact same problem only seems to have happened to me since new firmware update, on top left of screen of my RC it says its locating  my compass works just no map location in bottom left box on remote controller. But on the dji fly app on iphone it shows my recommended zone and map  so im really confused.
2022-7-3
Use props
HEX 5555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 146644 ft
United Kingdom

Just an update the map has been broken now for me since new firmware and seems many others seem to have the same issue.
2022-7-3
Use props
djiuser_c3dXEJGibbo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

HEX 5555 Posted at 7-3 11:01
Just an update the map has been broken now for me since new firmware and seems many others seem to have the same issue.

Hi Hex i agree with you mine was also  ok until i updated
2022-7-3
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

djiuser_c3dXEJGibbo Posted at 7-3 10:56
I am having the exact same problem only seems to have happened to me since new firmware update, on top left of screen of my RC it says its locating  my compass works just no map location in bottom left box on remote controller. But on the dji fly app on iphone it shows my recommended zone and map  so im really confused.

You are not allone.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268499

2022-7-3
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

I was having the same issues as timw2000 and rodc27 (perpetually “Locating…”, no RC location on map, location as 0,0, permissions error when attempting to update home point, etc). In trying to troubleshoot/fix, I ended up factory-resetting my RC controller. Since then, I no longer get errors, and no longer see a bad location...

Because I now have no mapping functionality in the Go Fly section at all.

In the main RC screen, with drone on and locked, I can go to Fly Spots and see the drone's location on the map (no RC location). I can zoom in to houses and businesses, switch to satellite view, etc.

But when going to Go Fly, the map inside the Fly app is empty, always, and none of the side buttons (i, eraser, H, N, layer) do anything. Updating home point does open the dialog for me to "drag map around" with no error, but there's no map to drag. Can no longer replay flight logs from Profile > More, as there's no map to show the flight paths.

So, I was having the same issues noted in this thread, but no longer have a problem not seeing my RC on the map, since there's no more map at all.

This is not better.

This may not be related to resetting, but could be the recent breakage noted in https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268499
2022-7-3
Use props
OMW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2280 ft
Austria

jefish Posted at 7-3 12:21
I was having the same issues as timw2000 and rodc27 (perpetually “Locating…”, no RC location on map, location as 0,0, permissions error when attempting to update home point, etc). In trying to troubleshoot/fix, I ended up factory-resetting my RC controller. Since then, I no longer get errors, and no longer see a bad location...

Because I now have no mapping functionality in the Go Fly section at all.

Very unhappy here, to join in with all the exact same drone failures.
RTH point can also not be saved to RC position.
The cons by far outweigh the pros in this FW/SW update.
2022-7-3
Use props
djiuser Gibbo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

MySky Posted at 7-3 11:32
You are not allone.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=268499

i got  a home point somewhere in the maldives dont think she will make it in 20 minutes
2022-7-3
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am having the same problems with it always saying "Locating" and sometimes (not always) the updating Return to Home location during flight has brought up an android style message relating to allow location services.

I tried the compass calibration which worked (but now won't let me do it again just saying it is correct).

I did notice in the settings menu it shows on the top status line the balloon shaped icon which I think relates to GPS but alas installing a GPS info app is not possible.

I have tried both outdoors and indoors with the same results.

Is it like when the Hero 9 camera first came out, it had terrible GPS issues until a fix was released?

2022-7-4
Use props
HEX 5555
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Well i have no idea what’s happened but I just went to visit my mother and took my drone, decided to get the drone out and the map instantly loaded up! What the hell is going on?
2022-7-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12717890 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HEX 5555 Posted at 7-4 01:59
Well i have no idea what’s happened but I just went to visit my mother and took my drone, decided to get the drone out and the map instantly loaded up! What the hell is going on?

magical mother, take good care of her   ;-)
2022-7-4
Use props
HEX 5555
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 7-4 02:14
magical mother, take good care of her   ;-)

Haha thanks JJB
2022-7-4
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Today I was comparing the Android app with the DJI RC. On loading the Android app (Now 1.6.9) It gives an instant green symbol top left indicating GPS fix.

My DJI RC never manages that so I assume basically the GPS in the controller does not work very well or the app does not communicate with the GPS hardware properly.

Perhaps 1.6.9 will fix this when made available for the Mini 3 Pro?
2022-7-6
Use props
yannick_c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242946 ft
France

Should be some software bug. Yesterday, I didn't have the RC blue dot during all flight. Then I turned off the drone, went to camera view from the connection guide and the blue dot was there. Need to retest that, cause I don't remember if the blue dot was there when I restarted the drone but I think it was.
2022-7-6
Use props
HarleyFlyer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Mechanism Posted at 7-1 04:32
The RC has GPS, there's no debate about it. That's how you're able to update the home point to it's location.

Ok - so I cannot update the Homepoint to the controller location... I was experimenting with updating the homepoint the other day as I was walking down the beach - and when you tap on the controller to update the homepoint, it tells you that mobile data is not enabled. This is with Hotspot and bluetooth manually turned back on after takeoff. So I wonder if that feature only works with their new mobile dongle that is coming soon? I just dragged the homepoint to a spot further down the beach manually - it defaults to where the drone is to start with.... but this is not ideal when you are trying to update it whilst on a moving vehicle...
2022-7-8
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

HarleyFlyer Posted at 7-8 13:19
Ok - so I cannot update the Homepoint to the controller location... I was experimenting with updating the homepoint the other day as I was walking down the beach - and when you tap on the controller to update the homepoint, it tells you that mobile data is not enabled. This is with Hotspot and bluetooth manually turned back on after takeoff. So I wonder if that feature only works with their new mobile dongle that is coming soon? I just dragged the homepoint to a spot further down the beach manually - it defaults to where the drone is to start with.... but this is not ideal when you are trying to update it whilst on a moving vehicle...

I can only say that it worked for me when I was testing it
2022-7-8
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would say it works sometimes.

It would seem the GPS in the controller is not very sensitive and works like one from 20 years ago needing perfect conditions to get a location fix.
2022-7-9
Use props
fans4c3d4b32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4895 ft
United States

My controller will bring up a map and location without being connected to the drone, but only works about 10% of the time and after waiting about 10 minutes. Correct me if Im wrong, but if you need to reset your homepoint doesnt it use the gps location of your controller?
2022-7-9
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I guess we still don't have a date for when the GPS will be fixed in the controller?

The drone at my right side had a 28 satellite fix and no buildings or cover for over a mile (I will upload the flight video later)
2022-7-14
Use props
djiuser_pDVJP5fQkBV4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104603 ft
United States

Same issues, just got the drone today. What bull....
2022-7-29
Use props
djiuser_y0Cw0RPVva55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3593022 ft
Brazil

I was intrigued by this problem and performed some tests reaching the following conclusion. The controller's GPS will only pick up satellites if you turn on the controller in an open area. If you turn on in a closed area and immediately go to an open area it will not work either. If you are flying and you move into a closed area and immediately come back to an open area it also cannot retrieve the satellites. I hope it's not a hardware issue but a software issue. Remember that I have all the software up to date. Another important detail.. even in an open area it didn't work without bluetooth on. Wifi needed to be turned off.
2022-8-4
Use props
fansb771fe4d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2635036 ft
Netherlands

Still no fix? Pretty annoying
2022-8-15
Use props
Macky63
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144698 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 5-20 16:09
Really surprised that not a single YouTuber appears to have indicated any issues like this with the RC, especially as they all appear to have been given the RC for testing.
It's quite rare that anyone needs to reset the homepoint to the controller's location during a flight.
It would be one of the least used features.

It absolutely is not rare: If you want to use it on a boat, or follow a bike or car… You want to update the home point to your changed location!
2022-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Macky63 Posted at 8-18 14:55
It absolutely is not rare: If you want to use it on a boat, or follow a bike or car… You want to update the home point to your changed location!

And that's quite rare for drone flyers to do, despite your thinking that because you might do it, that everyone else does.
2022-8-18
Use props
i00
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81598 ft
Australia

I am also having this issue!
2022-9-1
Use props
michaf.me
lvl.1
Australia

I think I've got some background on this as it happens also happens to. First of, thinking that very few people would want to update the home point is bizarre. After being done with active track are you suppose to end where you started??? Anyway.

First message "Enable locations services...".
This is in my opinion Android privacy message. The very first time you launch the controller it will ask you to enable some services. Knowing myself I most probably uncheck them. So if you reset your controller you will be able to activate them again.
After I had done that this perticulatr message din't show up again.

Mobile device cannot access GPS.. Message
When I try to update the home point by tapping on the remote icon I'm getting the same message. But I know there is some GPS data coming from the controller's gps module because I can see a black dot which is suppose to be the RC. That dot has a poor gps lock as I can see moving around the map in a radius of 50m or so around the real location of the RC.

So my take is it's a bug or bad gps HW design or both.

In the mean time I'll have to use the drone's location to update the home point.
2022-9-11
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

HarleyFlyer Posted at 6-29 01:50
I don't agree - I have just had a RC Motorbike Mount built for my Harley - and I need to be able to easily have the RTH refix on the controller at various points on the recording - the last thing I want is for it to disappear off back to where i set off from... I had exactly the same issue when Active tracking myself on a long walk in the countryside - I was 30 minutes into the walk when it tried to rth to where I launched - even though the drone was right above me at the time. [view_image][view_image][view_image]

IIRC, there should be an option to "Update Home Point" somewhere
2022-9-12
Use props
HarleyFlyer
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update, I had the drone replaced (and controller) for another issue and the new pair work perfectly exactly as I expected originally, I just click on the remote icon and it updates the Home Point to where the controller is. Having said that, it would be awesome to have an option for it to automatically update to where the controller is at all times if you want, so that you can do active track and just know it will keep up.
2022-9-14
Use props
djiuser_b0juBC1qkh4H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59751 ft
Norway

Hi guys, I have been troubled by the same problem as you, RC controllers never manage to get GPS lock or compass direction, today I got a new firmware update for the controller: 01.01.0450, entered this and ran a "factory reset" on the controller , GPS and compass work 100% after this.
2022-9-20
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Firmware version 1.7.4. In Camera mode, everything works correctly (the drone is turned off). If you exit the Camera mode, the last position will be displayed on the maps for some time. When moving, it does not move. If the remote control is turned off and immediately turned on, then the last point is still displayed, and if you turn it off for 15 minutes, then after turning on the location is not found.
2022-10-3
Use props
fans615b39c5
New

South Africa

My issue is that no map comes up in the bottom left. It is just blank. The flight records also come up as blank although I do recall seeing total distance somewhere. Finding GPS & RTH works fine.

I had a Mavic Air so I'm not a total newbie & the above worked automatically. What I love about the Mini 3 Pro vs the Mavic Air is not having to calibrate the compass which is being discussed in this thread.
2022-10-7
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

I noticed today that my blue directional indicator had also completely disappeared. It was there on a flight yesterday even before compass calibration now its randomly gone again.
2022-10-13
Use props
DavidJE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29482 ft
Australia

#Quick Reply Here#Pre Take Off All icons white (except obstacle detection) 30 satellites After take off and hover at 1+ metres.  Obstacle detection goes white but no indication of controller on screen.  Not even a black spot.  Attempt to Change Home Point. Message: "Enable location services and app permissions for your mobile device to ensure your location can be determined accurately. I click "O.K." If I should do something else as well I do not know what i is. Click "Update Home Point" again and the map screen appears showing current "H", drone position and orientation.  Screen appears with two icons the second being the controller icon.   Click controller icon. Message appears:" Mobile device unable to access GPS.  Move to an open area" I leave the drone hovering a few metres from the house and move into a large lawn area. Repeat the process and the same failure is repeated step by step including the "Enable location services..." I repeated this many time in an open area.  The same result each time.  I clicked "land" and it did. What am I missing?  Is it the "enable location services"?  If so, how do I enable them and keep them enabled?
2022-10-14
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

DavidJE Posted at 10-14 23:15
#Quick Reply Here#Pre Take Off All icons white (except obstacle detection) 30 satellites After take off and hover at 1+ metres.  Obstacle detection goes white but no indication of controller on screen.  Not even a black spot.  Attempt to Change Home Point. Message: "Enable location services and app permissions for your mobile device to ensure your location can be determined accurately. I click "O.K." If I should do something else as well I do not know what i is. Click "Update Home Point" again and the map screen appears showing current "H", drone position and orientation.  Screen appears with two icons the second being the controller icon.   Click controller icon. Message appears:" Mobile device unable to access GPS.  Move to an open area" I leave the drone hovering a few metres from the house and move into a large lawn area. Repeat the process and the same failure is repeated step by step including the "Enable location services..." I repeated this many time in an open area.  The same result each time.  I clicked "land" and it did. What am I missing?  Is it the "enable location services"?  If so, how do I enable them and keep them enabled?

Try it.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 961&pid=2876706
2022-10-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules