HDMI output support eventually on Phantom 3?
12Next >
8668 57 2015-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freund7
lvl.1

United States

[size=14.6666669845581px]People have talked about replacing part of the PH3 controller with the Inspire version, using an Inspire 1controller, and/or a USB to HDMI adapter. But, my question is: how DEFINITIVE is it that SOMETHING will allow HDMI output. I don't want to invest in a Phantom 3 and have rumors float around for months about HDMI output support until finally DJI says they won't support it until the Phantom 4 a year or more later.

[size=14.6666669845581px]So, anyone have any solid evidence that DJI has plans of supporting HDMI output?
[size=14.6666669845581px]

[size=14.6666669845581px]I'd like to hear from DJI on this issue. Thanks.
2015-4-20
Use props
SobesMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649196 ft
United States

I'm thinking if you use an iOS device you may be able to do HDMI out with the P3.

The Lightning to HDMI adapter has a Lightning pass through so that you can charge an iPad or iPhone while also using an external HDMI display. I'll be curious to test out if the pass through has all of the working pins or just the power pins. If all pins are working, you should be able to plug that into the transmitter and then HDMI out to a display.
2015-4-20
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

Nope. The lightning adapter only passed power on the lightning side. So, you can't have a hookup for both data in/out and HDMI out. I've tried it.
2015-4-20
Use props
cheong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2778799 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I would like to know the answer too, anyone try using the shield tablet with the HDMI out to a goggles?
2015-4-20
Use props
SobesMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649196 ft
United States

Or maybe Airplay?
2015-4-20
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

Here's what I've discovered:
1. There may or may not be a USB to HDMI adapter released.
2. The nVidia Shield Tablet (Android-based) is ranked up there as the 2nd best (next to iPad) in terms of a tablet to use with the Phantom and it has HDMI OUTPUT! The HDMI output has little to no latency. It also has built-in GPS (16gb and 32gb versions) and LTE capability (32gb version). A few videos on Youtube tout it as a great tablet for the Phantom Inspire, etc.
3. Airplay may work, but Airplay has latency issues.
4. The best goggles seem to be the Headplay HD goggles about to be released (getfpv.com) as they are only $250 and support HDMI in, 72 degree FOV, and 1280x720 (exactly the resolution that the Phantom 3 broadcasts its live stream in).

I figure that this setup will keep me happy for awhile until they POSSIBLY release an HDMI output capability, in which case I can always sell my Shield (unless I grow attached to the Shield) and lose only a little bit of money, but keep the goggles.

The real fun begins when we start to consider if the winter release of the Oculus Rift will support 2D HDMI input. It probably will just fine. In that case, it will be 1080p resolution with over 100 degree FOV. And perhaps using the SDK, someone will program an app that allows the headtracker to control the camera view on the Phantom 3! Totally immersive.
2015-4-21
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

From what I believe Ed posted in the 'Cage post' it appears he was using a Inspire controller to offload HDMI to his Ninja recorder.
2015-4-21
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Why do you need HDMI output?  Just plug in a tablet using an USB cable and watch on the tablet screen.  The light bridge image is only 720P and suffers from severe compression artifacts as compared to the image recorded on the SD card.  (Which can record up to 4K.)
The only purpose of lightbridge is to help you frame your shots and aim the camera.
2015-4-21
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-4-22 02:12
Why do you need HDMI output?  Just plug in a tablet using an USB cable and watch on the tablet scree ...

Using goggles is one reason.  The Zeiss and Epson look much better w/ HDMI feed.
2015-4-21
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

Yes, goggles. It's MUCH more immersive, enjoyable, less distraction, and better image (since you're not competing with background light).
2015-4-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-4-21 23:37
From what I believe Ed posted in the 'Cage post' it appears he was using a Inspire controller to off ...

You can bind the Inspire Tx to the P3 however that is an expensive solution.  But it is one if you already have an Inspire.  There has been discussion around replacing the rear module with one that has HDMI output.  As far as I know it has not be finalized and there is no introduction date or cost.
2015-4-21
Use props
Thang
lvl.1

United States

Look. You guys overanalyze things -- simply buy USB to HDMI adapter then you're good.

That USB port is simply a VA output. Use splitter as you please.
2015-4-21
Use props
joeztan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5660620 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thang Posted at 2015-4-22 11:29
Look. You guys overanalyze things -- simply buy USB to HDMI adapter then you're good.

That USB port ...

I would like to see some evidence that this will work.

2015-4-22
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

In the PC/Mac world, USB-HDMI boxes are common, but in addition to some circuitry in the "boxes", they require software drivers and/or video cards that allow for appropriate interfacing. With the P3 controller, it's hard to say how one would accomplish this, at least economically...but smarter people than I might be able to figure it out.
2015-4-22
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

Exactly. It may not be as easy as a USB-HDMI adapter. At least, there is no evidence of this, as of yet. If someone wants to provide an Amazon link to one, I'll be happy to order it, try it out when my Phantom arrives, and report back.
2015-4-22
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Why would you want HDMI out.  You planning to use P3 to show your video onto a TV screen?  Unless I am behind the times you can not transfer files over HDMI.  The better choice would be USB 3.0
2015-4-22
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

you can not transfer files over HDMI

Transfer files? USB 3.0 can do full video, but the technical challenge is getting this video in a format that can be displayed on a standard HD TV or monitor. AFAIK, there aren't any TV's or even monitors with USB video in, are there?
2015-4-22
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-4-23 04:31
Transfer files? USB 3.0 can do full video, but the technical challenge is getting this video in a f ...

I guess I am confused about the basic topic.  The subject line is "HDMI output support eventually on Phantom 3?".  I simply asked why would you want that?  I can not imagine hooking up my Pahntom to a HD TV to view the video.
Was this not the topic?  Sorry if I misunderstood.
2015-4-22
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Ace, just because you "can not imagine hooking up my Pahntom to a HD TV to view the video." doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't want to.

Can you "imagine" having a larger group viewing your FPV feed while you fly so they don't all have to crowd around you, your controller, and your iPad? I'm pretty sure that was the question, unless I've got it wrong.
I suppose you could do a live feed on YouTube, but then you'd need a Web connection for your iPad.
2015-4-22
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

dmwierz Posted at 2015-4-23 06:37
Ace, just because you "can not imagine hooking up my Pahntom to a HD TV to view the video." doesn't  ...

Thanks for confusing me more.  I think you wrote "on a standard HD TV or monitor. AFAIK, there aren't any TV's or even monitors with USB video in, are there."  Why are you talking about HD TV's when you thought the issue was an additional screen on site like and iPad?

It's okay if I don't understand why some one would power up their Phantom and hook it up to a TV to show off the recent video...you are right some one will do it.  I just do not think it is a real issue and I doubt anyone would make a choice to buy P3 based on being able to connect it to a TV.
2015-4-22
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

My original question was for the purposes of hooking up a pair of FPV goggles for use with the Phantom 3. A lot of people really enjoy these but you need a video input.
2015-4-22
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-23 05:20
I guess I am confused about the basic topic.  The subject line is "HDMI output support eventually  ...

In my case the tablet is hard to see in the sun so by putting on fpv glasses that have hdmi or using EVF electronic view finder or using a portable monitor with hdmi would solve the issue thats why the inspire 1 has it I do alot of flying in the sun here in south florida so the glasses or monitor realy helps
2015-4-23
Use props
freund7
lvl.1

United States

Just another reason to use goggles, and the need for HDMI output of some kind (e.g. Nvidia Shield).
2015-4-23
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

If you were to use an Nvidia Shield 8 tablet...  You can view the video directly off the tablet's HDMI output to your glasses.

One DJI moderator has made a statement that eventually the Inspire controller will be compatible with the P3.  So at some point in the future you may be able to buy an Inspire controller and have HDMI out.

2015-5-8
Use props
aroca1978
lvl.1
Flight distance : 639613 ft
Netherlands

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-23 07:55
Thanks for confusing me more.  I think you wrote "on a standard HD TV or monitor. AFAIK, there are ...

LOL... they are talking about connecting the controller or the ipad to an external HDMI input (either TV or goggles or whatever), in order to have an external display besides your tablet to see the FPV transmitted by the phantom over lightbridge. They are not talking about plugging the actual quadcopter to a TV, hehehe.
2015-5-8
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

just remember to turn off the WiFi on the Nvidia Shield or switch off the function to automatically connect to available networks.  They seem to try to connect to the DJI WiFi or other networks which can cause a disconnection.  
2015-5-8
Use props
candubob
lvl.1

Canada

I have tried screen mirroring with a Samsung tab S 8.4 and a Actiontec receiver.  About 250 ms total delay.  Not too bad if you are a couple of hundred feet up. Not good for tight quarter flying.  Have not try it yet on a long FPV flight.
Advantage you do not have another wire tethering to your controller, a little inconvenient especially if you have to run around.
2015-5-8
Use props
thiagofneves
lvl.1

Canada

I think on the other side, probably DJI didn't put a HDMI output for P3 because of laws ...
FPV is not legal and lots of "kids" would probably do stupidity with P3... Just my thought, but I already have a pair of Cinemizer OLED (not open so I can return if anything) just waiting for a solution...

Im sure within a month, someone would come up with a solution...

I had this idea, but I can't find any connector like that:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ee5e ... y1OOvLduVn_Daa?dl=0

Hopefully someone comes with a real idea, other than Inspire One transmitter that are really expensive.
2015-5-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-4-22 04:51
Using goggles is one reason.  The Zeiss and Epson look much better w/ HDMI feed.

Goggles produce the risk of running into FAA rules - take a peek at the fine print definition in FAA docs about what constitutes LOS/Control etc. The proposed rules, as they stand now, don't do any favors to the FPV concept.
2015-5-16
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

FAA rules stipulate that you must maintain VISUAL eye contact with your drone at all times.  Using FPV glasses blocks your view of the drone and  violates the FAA law.
2015-5-16
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-17 00:47
FAA rules stipulate that you must maintain VISUAL eye contact with your drone at all times.  Using F ...

Lets not go overboard with rules...

Besides, you can just have a "spotter" and you'll be fine.

Fact is, lots and lots of people fly FPV with "Fatshark" video googles and the like. Naturally you need to use your common sense and don't fly too high when doing this, Flying low, and you pose no risk whatsoever that the "FAA" should be concerned about.

Lets use our common sense.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-16
Use props
sebiss.hotmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1291900 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Radio inspire fonctionne très bien avec le P3. Je l'utilise la sortie HDMI et les travaux! Par contre depuis que je mis à jour la radio et p3, je ne peux pas avoir l'image sur la tablette et TV simultanément. Je ne peux pas choisir d'activer les deux en même temps. Auparavant, cette option est disponible dans le menu de réception vidéo. Par contre la carte de navigation est toujours disponible sur le plateau lorsque le téléviseur est connecté.
Je ai aucune option dans le menu pour connecter un second récepteur ... Il est bizarre. Je pense DJI devrait déclencher cette solution car il pourrait apporter beaucoup d'argent sans ajouter difficultés.

Je remarquai aussi que, avant la mise à jour de la P3 et radio inspirés, je peux choisir de ne pas afficher le menu OSD sur l'image du téléviseur. C'était bien! Je sens que DJI bridé radio.
2015-5-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-17 14:30
Lets not go overboard with rules...

Besides, you can just have a "spotter" and you'll be fine.

Do whatever you want.  Just rest assured you ARE breaking the law while flying a drone in the USA with FPV goggles on.

The FAA regulation does not say you can use a spotter.  The FAA regulation says the PILOT must maintain visual contact.

You keep using phrases like "lets use our common sense".  And you certainly can do that.  But any law enforcement officer that sees you flying a drone with FPV goggles on can arrest you if he wants to under the new FAA regulation.

Look... I understand that FantomDK is a responsible and experienced model pilot.  And I understand he  feels that he can take responsibility for his own actions.  (And that's fine.)    But the new FAA laws for amateur drone operation are very clear about NOT flying by FPV alone.  Do so with the understanding that you could be arrested if a law enforcement officer decided that you were not maintaining visual contact.
2015-5-18
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-18 23:43
Do whatever you want.  Just rest assured you ARE breaking the law while flying a drone in the USA  ...

Also FantomDK isn't in the USA.

Here in Australia you are allowed to use a spotter in lieu of maintaining LOS of the craft. Pity the FAA didn't see the common sense of having another pair of eyes spotting.
2015-5-18
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well the controller has USB and Micro-USB, MHL perhaps?
2015-5-18
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I want a hdmi out on my personal controller so i can use a bigger and brighter monitor.. also because I like to record my flights with the osd info..  if there was a setting to record the osd on a phone or tablet i would be happier and good goggles take flying to a whole another level
2015-5-18
Use props
thiagofneves
lvl.1

Canada

Lets say the goggles are for a second person enjoying a fpv experience WHILE THE PILOT flies with the VISUAL CONTACT under the law...
So now, lets get back on business...
I bought a NVIDIA SHIELD and a CINEMIZER, they both together work great... but I will be honest, the experience I had (with the PILOT WITH THE VISUAL CONTACT) wasn't the greatest... You don't fell you are flying or anything similar... Maybe you can just bet a better view of the screen without the sun on the screen... because of that, I have no reason to keep the CINEMIZER when they cost me $1200.00...
2015-5-21
Use props
lebed73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2922999 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

cheong Posted at 2015-4-21 06:55
I would like to know the answer too, anyone try using the shield tablet with the HDMI out to a goggl ...

i'm using Nvidia shield.
HDMI out is working good.
and this tablet has function of recording video from screen or make picture.
2015-5-21
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Yes... I can confirm the NVIDIA Shield 8 can output HDMI and screen record.  It works.

In the future... DJI may offer a firmware version that lets the Inspire controller be used with a P3.  (But you would have to BUY a new Inspire controller.)

In the future... DJI may offer a app version with a record feature that records the screen.  

But right NOW you can simply get an NVIDIA Shield 8 and you can have your HDMI feed and screen record TODAY.

However...  Flying with FPV goggles is not very practical for several reasons:

1. With FPV goggles on you can't see your finger on the touchscreen so it's nearly impossible to select options and use the touchscreen without taking the FPV goggles OFF.  This also means it's impossible to use the interface to select or cancel return to home from the touchscreen.  FPV goggles defeat your ability to use the touchscreen.

2.  LIGHTBRIDGE IS NOT REALTIME!  IT HAS DELAY!  There is significant LAG in the lightbridge sometimes.  For example... When I get more than 300-1000 meters out the lag sometimes increases to several seconds.  There is no visual indication on the screen that lag is occurring.  In this situation I have almost flown into trees because the aircraft was 2-5 seconds ahead of what I was seeing on the FPV.  I did not realize this until looking up at the P3 and noticing it was about to hit trees.   The Lightbrige is OK for planning & aiming your camera shots...  But it's not trustworthy for flight navigation.  You still need to watch the drone with your eyes too.

3. The Lightbridge link can fail at any moment.  If it does you will be completely blind until you remove the FPV goggles.
2015-5-21
Use props
bernie This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules